Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 42
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Victoria BC formerly from Hamilton
    Posts
    1,450
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Tim Bezbatchenko

    Don't know what to make of this news. Seems that it is a done deal. Moving back to his home town with a more Seniorr role at the new Columbus?

    He's been at the heart of all that has been good for the new TFC. Nervous about this change.

    Why is there so little chatter on here about it?

  2. #2
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    15,451
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    2.5 pages in the speculation thread inspired by that news

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,746
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Suggest making this an appreciation thread.

    I thought Bez would be a misfire, that he was in way over his head when he got here. He was just too young, too inexperienced. Heck, Leiweke was calling him Harry Potter!

    I was completely wrong. Bez deserves a significant slice of the credit for our massive success. He handled himself impeccably in public and, best we can tell, in private. You can pick holes fairly easily, but overall, this team won big during his tenure, and he mattered to that. A lot.

    I wish he were going to the western conference. I'd wish him luck if he were!

    Best to him personally.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,479
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Suggest making this an appreciation thread.

    I thought Bez would be a misfire, that he was in way over his head when he got here. He was just too young, too inexperienced. Heck, Leiweke was calling him Harry Potter!

    I was completely wrong. Bez deserves a significant slice of the credit for our massive success. He handled himself impeccably in public and, best we can tell, in private. You can pick holes fairly easily, but overall, this team won big during his tenure, and he mattered to that. A lot.

    I wish he were going to the western conference. I'd wish him luck if he were!

    Best to him personally.
    Yup. We went from a laughing stock to the best single season in MLS history, shoulda been two Cups and a whisker from the CCL Champions. Whatever holes you want to find, that speaks for itself. Good luck Bez and thanks.

  5. #5
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    15,451
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In Bez we trust


    ********


    Going to miss that line

  6. #6
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    5,403
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Bez certainly is one of a handful of people league wide who has deep knowledge about the dark magic of MLS player acquisition rules, but I wasn't sure he had the practical experience to do the work beyond that. He showed that he does. I'm not wild about all the decisions coming out of the FO but certainly there were a lot more hits than misses. IMO the new Crew owners are going to be ambitious and Bez has a chance to shape a lot of how that looks. Today, I'll say good for him. Tomorrow, the Crew goes back to being an obstacle (along with all the other teams) to TFC winning another cup.
    No one likes us, we don't care.
    You saw me standing alone, without a dream in my heart, without a love of my own.
    Louis Van Gaal, philosopher. "What is this world twisted?"
    Need more nonsense in your life? Follow me on the twitter @MrTuktoyaktuk

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    706
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    T B - Hope all goes well for you and your family . . .

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Sec 126
    Posts
    390
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thank you and congratulations to Bez! He was a great ambassador and was part of the team that brought the first MLS Cup to Toronto. Good luck in the future.

  9. #9
    RPB Member Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,375
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I won't forget the classy move Bez did in mending the past broken relationship in bringing back DeRo for his last season. One of many classy moves he did.


  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Victoria BC formerly from Hamilton
    Posts
    1,450
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Our new GM has some big shoes (figuratively) to fill. Bez helped turn TO around and for that we will forever be great-full.

    I'm glad that Columbus was saved it's good for Toronto nice to have viable roadtrips.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nordrhein-Westfalen, GER
    Posts
    1,255
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I won't forget the classy move Bez did in mending the past broken relationship in bringing back DeRo for his last season. One of many classy moves he did.
    For sure! As much as he's done for the club—and it's a lot—this speaks volumes.

    Thanks, Bez, and all the best for you and yours.


    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Our new GM has a big suit (figuratively) to fill. Bez helped turn TO around and for that we will forever be great-full.
    Fixed it for you.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    2,873
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I had hope that Bez would turn out well, considering he was an MLS insider. I want to wish him all the best but... c'mon, Columbus!? I understand it's a hometown thing, but I wish he made one extra stop before ending up there. <Sigh>

    Regardless of where he ends up, he deserves being feted before his departure for his many earned accolades. He was a major instrument in the operation to save TFC from mediocrity and I will always appreciate him for that.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Best will have for that role. I don't think new guy will cut it.

  15. #15
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    with perpetual hope
    Posts
    3,614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Very happy for a decent professional, deservedly going home to a team that will surprise everyone in the upcoming season . Like it or not .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

  16. #16
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Centre of My Bloody Universe.
    Posts
    18,912
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Didn't know that Columbus was his home. Good luck to him saving them then.

    Ali Curtis we want another Supporters Shield. You've done it before let's do it again.

    I'm trying not to think of our first leader that came from New Jersey...
    Canada Mens Olympic Qualifiers vs El Sal Sat. March 21, Haita Tues. March 24, and Honduras Fri. March 27! Canada vs T&T Fri. March 27 4:30!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

  17. #17
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I wonder if there was some bad blood in this leaving. The email that was sent out announcing Ali Curtis was very clinical, new opportunity, effective immediately etc. Not a single thanks for everything Tim.

  18. #18
    RPB Member Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,375
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magmadragon View Post
    I wonder if there was some bad blood in this leaving. The email that was sent out announcing Ali Curtis was very clinical, new opportunity, effective immediately etc. Not a single thanks for everything Tim.
    Ummm, no. There was thanking Tim for his contributions in the news conference announcing Curtis. There was also a discussion on how Tim taking the opportunity was done above the board with open discussion. It's available on the TFC site. No bad blood at all, just an understanding that it was understandable why he would take a promotion located in his home town.

    The email would have been written by an MLSE pr staffer. Don't read anything into it.

  19. #19
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Sarnia, Ontario
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If he wants to leave us then f*c* him and move in. Obviously wasn’t fit for the challenge
    STADIUM FULL, FLAGS IN THE SKY, SMOKE FILLS THE AIR

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 110 Row 24
    Posts
    6,782
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Don't know what to make of this news. Seems that it is a done deal. Moving back to his home town with a more Seniorr role at the new Columbus?

    He's been at the heart of all that has been good for the new TFC. Nervous about this change.

    Why is there so little chatter on here about it
    ?
    Disbelief. Shock. Disappointment.

    I felt all of the above. We are suppose to be a top club in MLS. Tim B got us there and was pushing us further. Then, without any warning he left. I don't blame him - I mean i get the opportunity he has in C-bus - but it still hurts.

    Tim B taught us that you can be competitive every year and still have the flexibility to improve where needed without cap tying your hands behind your back.

    I'm just glad he isn't building the C-bus roster and is more focused on bigger club activities. The guy is good at building rosters.

  21. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,478
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Ummm, no. There was thanking Tim for his contributions in the news conference announcing Curtis. There was also a discussion on how Tim taking the opportunity was done above the board with open discussion. It's available on the TFC site. No bad blood at all, just an understanding that it was understandable why he would take a promotion located in his home town.

    The email would have been written by an MLSE pr staffer. Don't read anything into it.
    His hometown is a poop hole, he can have it.

    I wonder if any of this is MLS high level meddling.

  22. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,103
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Meh.

    He was great at rosters and cap space but the skills he had, are something that everyone should have now.

    I liked him and his commitment to excellence, but he did have a large payroll with which to work, via TL. His departure could be used as excuse to play moneyball again and that's what worries me more. We have our title from spending big, now let's grind for the next one. That would suck.

  23. #23
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Ummm, no. There was thanking Tim for his contributions in the news conference announcing Curtis. There was also a discussion on how Tim taking the opportunity was done above the board with open discussion. It's available on the TFC site. No bad blood at all, just an understanding that it was understandable why he would take a promotion located in his home town.

    The email would have been written by an MLSE pr staffer. Don't read anything into it.
    Fair enough. Admittedly I haven't watched the presser. The email just caught me off guard. They must have gotten someone new to write it as the tone is different than what I've gotten used to from them the past few years.

  24. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    112
    Posts
    2,840
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    Meh.

    He was great at rosters and cap space but the skills he had, are something that everyone should have now.

    I liked him and his commitment to excellence, but he did have a large payroll with which to work, via TL. His departure could be used as excuse to play moneyball again and that's what worries me more. We have our title from spending big, now let's grind for the next one. That would suck.
    My personal opinion is this is where we are heading. This is the end of the big 3 DP contracts and I don't anticipate any are here in 2020, maybe one, but not so sure.

    MLSE went through an era of spending. BMO Field renovations, big spending on players, spent a ton of money on Babcock, built the Biosteel facility for the Raptors, etc. That era ended when Leiweicke left the building, now things have changed and it's all about maximizing the almighty dollar. Just waiting for the deals done during his time to run out.

    TFC's budget likely is to get as close to being in the black as possible, which I would estimate at putting our payroll in the 14-16M range. I think Bez/Columbus saw the writing on the wall and realized he was in a no win situation going forward in Toronto. He's going to be expected to acheive the same with less, not ideal for him personally. So the Crew offered him the President job to get him. They are going to have to make some splashes to energize what's going on there, giving Bez the chance to build something and be a hero once again.

  25. #25
    Member Past President
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dichio Country
    Posts
    12,246
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    He wasn't gonna stick around forever and he did a good job here. He gets a promotion and we get another qualified MLS guy to take his place. I expect things will continue to hum along, as this is Manning and Vanney's friend and they know each other. But I agree with @red4ever about the possible money issues creeping back into play. Still, we have spent huge bucks and I think we could spend smarter, rather than more, if the need arises. There are tons of talented players to be had for less money than our Big 3. Bez did deals and got things done by splashing out cash (although he also did a good job with the lesser deals). Even if we can't splash out as much, we should still be able to attract high-calibre players.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

  26. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    2,873
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    We need to remember that MLSE is also supplying the Raptors and Leafs salaries, which are at least 3 times the current TFC amount. I think we can expect the board to keep spending at least at the $20 million mark, as that is not even the salaries of the Raptors' 3 best players. As the MLS salary cap increases and more GAM and TAM become available, I think we'll see a smoothing out of the salary range between high and low players on MLS teams, including TFC. Probably won't happen until the next TV Contract SUM negotiates.

  27. #27
    Member Past President
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dichio Country
    Posts
    12,246
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    We need to remember that MLSE is also supplying the Raptors and Leafs salaries, which are at least 3 times the current TFC amount. I think we can expect the board to keep spending at least at the $20 million mark, as that is not even the salaries of the Raptors' 3 best players.
    I'd look at revenue generated by the three teams, too. I don't know if the Raps generate enough to cover their players, but the Leafs definitely do. Does TFC? I'm not so sure.

    EDIT: I looked at some salary and other numbers, along with average ticket price, average attendance and stuff. I now think TFC is making enough money to pay the DPs.
    Last edited by Jack; 01-09-2019 at 11:07 AM.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

  28. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,678
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I'd look at revenue generated by the three teams, too. I don't know if the Raps generate enough to cover their players, but the Leafs definitely do. Does TFC? I'm not so sure.

    EDIT: I looked at some salary and other numbers, along with average ticket price, average attendance and stuff. I now think TFC is making enough money to pay the DPs.
    The Raptors make money because of the TV money the NBA gets, while I think TFC looses money considering the TV money in MLS is abysmal.

  29. #29
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northwest Territories (Section 226)
    Posts
    6,910
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The Raptors make money because of the TV money the NBA gets, while I think TFC looses money considering the TV money in MLS is abysmal.
    But SUM money is shared & decent, which is a significant component of the value of an MLS franchise.

  30. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    112
    Posts
    2,840
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I'd look at revenue generated by the three teams, too. I don't know if the Raps generate enough to cover their players, but the Leafs definitely do. Does TFC? I'm not so sure.

    EDIT: I looked at some salary and other numbers, along with average ticket price, average attendance and stuff. I now think TFC is making enough money to pay the DPs.
    Not even close.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •