Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    That's true. However they didn't make use of what they did have (ie a right to have a Designated Player), and when they got a DP they went low cost.

Their model was 12k fans in the stands, which proved to way underestimate the market.
    Which in hindsight seems a little crazy considering the population base and demographics of the GTA. Maybe the Lynx scared them, even if it was a small stadium there was never really any interest in it from what I remember.
    Last edited by BeninatoTFC; 08-08-2019 at 03:13 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeninatoTFC View Post
    Which in hindsight seems a little crazy considering the population base and demographics of the GTA. Maybe the Lynx scared them, even if it was a small stadium there was never really any interest in it from what I remember.
    Interesting bit of history. The owner of the Lynx, Bruno Hartrell, predicted that TFC would draw 2000 -3000 per game!!!

I used to go to the occasional Lynx game and knew the U-Sector from back then. The Lynx had trouble getting decent crowds to Centennial Stadium. Nothing screams "low budget" like their operation was: Bruno would sell the tickets, and his wife Nicole would sell the hot dogs!! He lost a fortune on his love of the game, deserved better than what he ended up with (he wanted the Lynx to become TFC 2, instead Mo decided to start from scratch, leaving the Lynx worthless). The Lynx most notably developed DeRo and gave him his first pro contract.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting bit of history. The owner of the Lynx, Bruno Hartrell, predicted that TFC would draw 2000 -3000 per game!!!

I used to go to the occasional Lynx game and knew the U-Sector from back then. The Lynx had trouble getting decent crowds to Centennial Stadium. Nothing screams "low budget" like their operation was: Bruno would sell the tickets, and his wife Nicole would sell the hot dogs!! He lost a fortune on his love of the game, deserved better than what he ended up with (he wanted the Lynx to become TFC 2, instead Mo decided to start from scratch, leaving the Lynx worthless). The Lynx most notably developed DeRo and gave him his first pro contract.
    Not just DeRo, Hutchinson and Stalteri amongst other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to go to the occasional Lynx game and knew the U-Sector from back then. The Lynx had trouble getting decent crowds to Centennial Stadium. Nothing screams "low budget" like their operation was
    And yet when I point out that the same problem existed in every other non-MLS Canadian franchise and to an extent does with the new CPL as well, I get crapped on by an endless parade of "build it from nothing" folks.