Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The LAFC moves today are interesting - bringing in one of the best Uruguayan prospects to add to their attack while dumping off Martinez to Houston.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The LAFC moves today are interesting - bringing in one of the best Uruguayan prospects to add to their attack while dumping off Martinez to Houston.
    Diego Rossi looks to be on the way out which is probably why.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can never see the moves Atlanta and LAFC made and are making right out of the gate, without thinking about Teachers and Richard Peddie and how they stuck it to us.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I can never see the moves Atlanta and LAFC made and are making right out of the gate, without thinking about Teachers and Richard Peddie and how they stuck it to us.
    Thats sort of apples to oranges. Expansion teams have a hell of a lot more resources (extra GAM, TAM exists now) to work with these days then back then.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Thats sort of apples to oranges. Expansion teams have a hell of a lot more resources (extra GAM, TAM exists now) to work with these days then back then.
    That's true. However they didn't make use of what they did have (ie a right to have a Designated Player), and when they got a DP they went low cost.

Their model was 12k fans in the stands, which proved to way underestimate the market.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    That's true. However they didn't make use of what they did have (ie a right to have a Designated Player), and when they got a DP they went low cost.

Their model was 12k fans in the stands, which proved to way underestimate the market.
    Which in hindsight seems a little crazy considering the population base and demographics of the GTA. Maybe the Lynx scared them, even if it was a small stadium there was never really any interest in it from what I remember.
    Last edited by BeninatoTFC; 08-08-2019 at 03:13 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeninatoTFC View Post
    Which in hindsight seems a little crazy considering the population base and demographics of the GTA. Maybe the Lynx scared them, even if it was a small stadium there was never really any interest in it from what I remember.
    Interesting bit of history. The owner of the Lynx, Bruno Hartrell, predicted that TFC would draw 2000 -3000 per game!!!

I used to go to the occasional Lynx game and knew the U-Sector from back then. The Lynx had trouble getting decent crowds to Centennial Stadium. Nothing screams "low budget" like their operation was: Bruno would sell the tickets, and his wife Nicole would sell the hot dogs!! He lost a fortune on his love of the game, deserved better than what he ended up with (he wanted the Lynx to become TFC 2, instead Mo decided to start from scratch, leaving the Lynx worthless). The Lynx most notably developed DeRo and gave him his first pro contract.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Interesting bit of history. The owner of the Lynx, Bruno Hartrell, predicted that TFC would draw 2000 -3000 per game!!!

I used to go to the occasional Lynx game and knew the U-Sector from back then. The Lynx had trouble getting decent crowds to Centennial Stadium. Nothing screams "low budget" like their operation was: Bruno would sell the tickets, and his wife Nicole would sell the hot dogs!! He lost a fortune on his love of the game, deserved better than what he ended up with (he wanted the Lynx to become TFC 2, instead Mo decided to start from scratch, leaving the Lynx worthless). The Lynx most notably developed DeRo and gave him his first pro contract.
    Not just DeRo, Hutchinson and Stalteri amongst other.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we were to go down the route of historical what ifs - imagine an MLSE owned by somebody competent in 2007 & you would probably not be discussing a management group that fell/lucked into the first supporter culture focused crowd in MLS, something that I argue saved MLS

There's no black/white to all this except for this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Galaxy finalize Pavon, on what's called a "free loan" lol. Nice little trick to get 4 DP's.

Honestly I don't care, but offensively they're stacked and Ibrahimovic, Pavon, Alessandrini, Dos Santos, Alvarez etc is the type of talent the could bring MLS glory in champions league vs Mexico.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tosaint signed with Vancouver. I'm kinda bummed about that. And we haven't signed anyone better since he left.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy for him & yes we need to get a better #2 post up centre forward then Mullins.

But that's not Ricketts either.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Tosaint signed with Vancouver. I'm kinda bummed about that. And we haven't signed anyone better since he left.
    After going on a tear in Lithuania I'm not surprised he's getting another chance in Canada. I would prefer him to Mullins (the second coming of Chad Barrett).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy for him & yes we need to get a better #2 post up centre forward then Mullins.

But that's not Ricketts either.
    People who somehow score goals despite themselves: Ricketts.

People who don’t score goals, provide nothing ever, and are probably even worse than Hamilton who also provided very little: Mullins.

Good thing we have Mullins. Can’t score, doesn’t even know what the goal looks like, short, very little technical ability, etc etc.

Ricketts could slip and fall on the sidelines warming up as a substitute and somehow we’d end up with a goal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    He somehow did it in 2017 and this year in Europe - but he couldn't for Canada & didn't in 2018 for us.

He wouldn't fit our system now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Yea, as much as he drove me mad i'd much prefer him over Boyd or Mullins. Better the devil you know an all that...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear Ricketts to Whitecaps is done anyways so it doesn't matter.

Also there's an awful tendency here to write off freshly acquired players, regardless of match fitness, whether they were bench players previously, or out of the squad entirely prior to the deal, to walk in to our starting XI and score right away or else they are shit.

I'm not saying Mullins is good but much like Boyd, he should get a few matches to find his footing and if no good then see ya.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post

People who don’t score goals, provide nothing ever, and are probably even worse than Hamilton who also provided very little: Mullins.

Good thing we have Mullins. Can’t score, doesn’t even know what the goal looks like, short, very little technical ability, etc etc.

Ricketts could slip and fall on the sidelines warming up as a substitute and somehow we’d end up with a goal.
    Hamilton scored goals. Infinitely more prolific than Mullins. Literally. He's just not a hold up player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats to Ricketts on his return to the MLS. He has travelled the world playing in Finland, Romania, Norway, Turkey, Israel, Toronto, Lithuania and now Vancouver. He hasn't many long tenures at any club and hopefully he gets to finish his career in Vancouver.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Hamilton scored goals. Infinitely more prolific than Mullins. Literally. He's just not a hold up player
    That's a big stretch.

They're similar in their rates based on minutes. Basically, neither is good enough at this level but one theoretically can at least contribute hold up play. Time will tell if that's true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    That's a big stretch.

They're similar in their rates based on minutes. Basically, neither is good enough at this level but one theoretically can at least contribute hold up play. Time will tell if that's true.
    I meant it factually . Mullins has zero goals for TFC. Hamilton had a number, I think 11. So its infiinitely more, literally. 11/0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see mullins being able to provide hold up play at all. When balls come in to him he more often than not heads them or passes them to spaces where we have no one and no one was even making a run to. I'm perplexed as to why we have him after some of the simple plays he's totally effed up.

Any way, back to current trades to other team, Well done to Tosaint. Hope he helps to get some semblance of normalcy back for a hopeless VanCity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the over/under of Ricketts scoring on us in that dying minutes of a game? Will he be the new Alan Gordon?

Happy that Ricketts is in a good place, he seems like a great guy. Too bad he's on a woeful team like the Whitecaps. Maybe he'll get more minutes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I meant it factually . Mullins has zero goals for TFC. Hamilton had a number, I think 11. So its infiinitely more, literally. 11/0
    So you're comparing goal records solely on TFC when one player played in 53 matches and the other guy played in 2.

Okay. Got it.

To requote myself:

Also there's an awful tendency here to write off freshly acquired players, regardless of match fitness, whether they were bench players previously, or out of the squad entirely prior to the deal, to walk in to our starting XI and score right away or else they are shit.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pfk View Post
    What's the over/under of Ricketts scoring on us in that dying minutes of a game?
    We are done playing them this season. He might be on their team next year but I have my doubts - they are likely going to rebuild again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are done playing them this season. He might be on their team next year but I have my doubts - they are likely going to rebuild again.
    Yeah I think they're stuck in an old days TFC situation. They will need multiple tear downs and rebuilds until they sack Lenarduzzi and get a new front office in there that has a plan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given Vancouver's penny pinching I wonder if Ricketts is volunteering?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but he couldn't for Canada
    Then how is he 4th in all time scoring for Canada?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He somehow did it in 2017 and this year in Europe - but he couldn't for Canada & didn't in 2018 for us.

He wouldn't fit our system now.
    I don’t think he would either, and I don’t want Ricketts back.

TFC has a history of bad backup strikers. Mullins is just the next in a long line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I hear Ricketts to Whitecaps is done anyways so it doesn't matter.

I'm not saying Mullins is good but much like Boyd, he should get a few matches to find his footing and if no good then see ya.
    Watching Mullins play you can tell how far he’s regressed and how little promise is left, from a player who was once considered a potential quality USMNT prospect.

The funny thing is that just about the only thing he could do was hold up play and maybe lay-off at the Crew, but for some reason he can’t even do that here.

It’s not a string of useless minutes here that formed my opinion of him, unfortunately. He simply didn’t look good before arriving here either.

It’s unfortunate, because he could be a pretty versatile player capable of playing in different formations and contributing to the attack in a meaningful way.