Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Paunovic has no idea what he is doing in Chicago. Starts Hassler at RB who roundly gets run over through thirty minutes, makes first half sub for Edwards. Midfield has no shape.

Despite that, they have some decent pieces. Far from a complete team though.
    You may have meant this but he actually started Hasler at LB. Why you would ever start him there on his weak side, when he's lining up against a speedster like Morris, with Raheem at your disposal I don't know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    You may have meant this but he actually started Hasler at LB. Why you would ever start him there on his weak side, when he's lining up against a speedster like Morris, with Raheem at your disposal I don't know.
    Yes, LB sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    He probably just watched Hasler’s Lichtenstein POTY highlight reel and figures he could play anywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paunovic is one of the names on my list for betting which coach is going to get fired first this season. I think they've given him some rope until Gaitan gets integrated into the line-up, but if these results continue into the summer, I don't see him having his job by the end of July. The GM should probably be fired too. The Owner should be forced to sell since he is even worse than Kraft (but not Precourt).

As for the Stadium itself, it is considered to be one of the worst contract agreements in sports in terms of how it handcuffs the team (someone learned from the NFL stadium debacles). Here's some reading...
    https://socceresq.com/2018/05/09/sta...united-states/
    https://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...view-taxpayers

<Edit: Additional fun! Discovered there is a Fire supporter who has a lawsuit in progress against both Bridgeview and the Fire.
    https://socceresq.com/2019/01/15/som...-chicago-fire/ . It almost makes the ABC era look good.>
    Last edited by Initial B; 03-17-2019 at 03:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paunovic
    DeBoer
    Dos Santos

Are the top three coaches with their coats on a “shoogly peg” as they say in Scotland.
    Dos Santos - I hope gets some improvement going but he is in hard & could easily start 0-5. That squad is so un-ambitious and like TFC 1.0 days with 65% turn-over of players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dos Santos I would hope gets an assurance that he's there to stay at least until somewhere around the midpoint of next season. I don't know what Vancouver's management is expecting but it shouldn't be much when they've replaced almost their entire team in one off-season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember talking with Dos Santos at one of the supporters group meetings the Fury had before they began their first season. He struck me as knowing what he was talking about and rightly said that building a club takes time. He had us winning the Fall Championship by the Fury's second year. He should be given a pass for this season and be allowed to complete his vision and start being judged by the second half of the 2020 season. I'd also like to point out that a lot of players on that Fury team came specifically because MdS was the coach, and they left when he did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal Impact fans who ordered 2019 Jerseys from the MLS store are receiving Whitecaps jerseys.....

Whoops.

https://twitter.com/nikmartineauTVA/...16294127984640

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
    Montreal Impact fans who ordered 2019 Jerseys from the MLS store are receiving Whitecaps jerseys.....

Whoops.

https://twitter.com/nikmartineauTVA/...16294127984640
    This is “The Hockey Sweater” in real life! “Monsieur Eaton....”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They should be happy they only got Vancouver’s jerseys and not their record.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Akinola's great goal is up for goal of the week at mlssoccer.com. Head over and show your support!

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...al-week-week-3

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems the league style has changed of late - lot more passing around going on.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal supporters can just cut out a piece of a garbage bag & tape it over the Vancouver crest on the jersey, problem solved L'Impact style.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver haven’t looked that bad. (TFC haven’t looked that good, either.)

Chicago, Orlando, SJ. They have all looked bad.

Almeyda is at the top of my list to leave. He may jump before getting pushed.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I think all the new coaches get a year to implement their vision. But Atlanta will cut de Boer if he doesn't have Atlanta with a winning record by July.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turkish Airlines are now the official airline partner of TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

And where is TFC going to fly in North America/Caribbean/Central America with TA?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luanda View Post
    And where is TFC going to fly in North America/Caribbean/Central America with TA?
    Thats generally not the point of airline partnerships.

Turkish Airlines has signed on as the official airline partner of Toronto FC of Major League Soccer for 2019. This is the airline’s first sponsorship deal with a Canadian major league sports team, expected the agreement to generate greater brand awareness in Canada.
    With Istanbul becoming a bit of a hub, i'm guessing they want a slice of the Pearson to India/Middle East traffic.
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 03-19-2019 at 08:50 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Montreal supporters can just cut out a piece of a garbage bag & tape it over the Vancouver crest on the jersey, problem solved L'Impact style.
    good one!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Bill Manning & think he dresses pretty good usually.

This though...that's an uncle who came in from shoveling the show at the after party for a winter wedding and never took off his toque once he grabbed another drink.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheer for the Liquor Store!!!!

(Apparently its across the street now & big supporters of the team)

That stadium is going to be worth a trip I think. We should play there next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats generally not the point of airline partnerships.

With Istanbul becoming a bit of a hub, i'm guessing they want a slice of the Pearson to India/Middle East traffic.
    Nationalized airline sponsorships are a money or public relations laundering partnership, especially given the airlines sponsoring football teams.

Istanbul has become less of a hub due to the terrorist attack in 2016 and Air Canada also flies an Istanbul line...

A bunch of Middle Eastern airlines are reopening under new names (check out the rebranded Qatari flights to Italy at like $500 from YYZ) for some reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I noticed that the Turkish Airline logo on the sponsor boards behind the net last game too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoa. I did not realize that the Whitecaps territorially control all the homegrowns in Canada that don’t live in the GTA or Quebec. That is a big deal. How did that happen?

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...cademy-program
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Whoa. I did not realize that the Whitecaps territorially control all the homegrowns in Canada that don’t live in the GTA or Quebec. That is a big deal. How did that happen?

Ontario is where the numbers are. Although BC has skill. I think we do ok out of this.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Yeah I remember hearing about that when it was put in place. I think TFC had tunnel vision back then because the GTA had such a large population to tap into and they were just starting out with figuring out how to run an academy. Hell, for years they didn't even tap into the whole GTA according to some local clubs I have talked to but I think that is changing now. Still lots of talent that goes by the wayside though because making the one academy team for each age group is tough and doesn't cast a big enough net to really get all those diamonds in the rough that could be out there. They really need to expand the number of players in their academy program in my opinion. Too bad it is not like the EPL with multiple professional team academies in one area to develop talent. Could it happen one day with the CPL? Pretty sure they just are focused on keeping the league alive to start with....maybe many years down the road.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IIRC, the Whitecaps have exclusionary control over Western Canada (~10 million people), the Impact have exclusionary control over Quebec (~8 million), and TFC has exclusionary control over the area within a 50 mile (80km) radius of BMO Field (~ 7 million). The rest of Ontario and Eastern Canada is up for grabs for whoever wants to develop players. Heck, here in Ottawa all three 3 teams have affiliations with at least one local club in the area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nani called a players only meeting to talk about mentality on the road before their NYRB match. Guy is taking this league seriously. Looks like the kind of DP every team is desperate for so far. Leadership, name brand, attacking quality, etc

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's to get Atiba and Larin home.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta give Martinez props for this cheeky PK against Argentina

https://twitter.com/MLSRewind/status...09736472334337

Last edited by ensco; 03-24-2019 at 12:22 PM.