Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any positives?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I were a Whitecaps fan, I'd be pretty upset. They promised to do something with the Alphonso Davies money, yet they are the lowest spending team in the league.

As bad as he was, at least Mo Johnson turned Mo Edu into grass at BMO Field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Omar on 1.1M. Wow.
    He's worth that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, that’s a lot of money for backup CB’s... Zavaleta, Ciman, and Moor are all at $300+

Outside of that, this league clearly has its salary structure and priorities wrong if Griffin Dorsey is going to get over 130k+ and you’re going to pay guys with actual potential to be blue chip half that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    If I were a Whitecaps fan, I'd be pretty upset. They promised to do something with the Alphonso Davies money, yet they are the lowest spending team in the league.

It was a nice story. But really, for the growth in their business they would have needed to spend money on grass anyway.

That was a good piece of business for Mo however

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should have a full evaluation of him at season end, for sure.
    OgtheDim edited his post that you're quoting: Zavaleta was re-signed in Jan 2018, i.e. Bez era.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Wow, that’s a lot of money for backup CB’s... Zavaleta, Ciman, and Moor are all at $300+

Outside of that, this league clearly has its salary structure and priorities wrong if Griffin Dorsey is going to get over 130k+ and you’re going to pay guys with actual potential to be blue chip half that.
    Moor was on that money when he was a starter and he was the main guy back there. Now that he isn't that should be corrected.
    Ciman was Moors temp replacement - that number should be corrected
    Zavaleta is a mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think all three summer signings are decent value.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rollins says this is worth a listen.

Justin Morrow on a podcast run by Feilhaber & Sal Zizzo.

https://wavve.link/BSThePodcast

J-Mo joins the gang to talk about the early dark days in SJ, the dysfunctional family that worked in Toronto and ranks the best DPs in Toronto FC history.

YMMV but sounds intriguing. Its on Spotify so I'm going to download to listen while I'm on the road.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 09-27-2019 at 07:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mo Johnson turned Mo Edu into cash. Tom Anselmi turned the cash into grass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

Whats Shaff on?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Whats Shaff on?
    Found the answer - less than half Dorsey.

I have no axe to grind against Dorsey but he might never see the field again, while Shaff is a talent to mould for the present and the future. Symptomatic of TFC's management's blind spot about Canadians. Examples too numerous to mention but Ben Spencer is another - players who get given more of a chance to prove themselves than their talent would justify (American) and less (Canadian)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Found the answer - less than half Dorsey.

I have no axe to grind against Dorsey but he might never see the field again, while Shaff is a talent to mould for the present and the future. Symptomatic of TFC's management's blind spot about Canadians. Examples too numerous to mention but Ben Spencer is another - players who get given more of a chance to prove themselves than their talent would justify (American) and less (Canadian)
    I don't understand what you're suggesting here - Shaffelburg has played way more meaningful minutes than Dorsey. If you're talking about their difference in salary that's purely because Dorsey signed a Generation Adidas deal. That has nothing to do with TFC. I don't disagree with your point in general, we have seemed to ignore domestic academy players at times in favor of less exciting American college players, but this isn't an example of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overall I look at that salary list and think “not bad”. That said, there’s going to be plenty of housekeeping necessary in the off season.

Lots of opportunities to cut the fat here. Also probably some players that will require a raise. Endoh, Laryea, and Shaffelburg in particular. Those contracts are too cheap but good on TFC for getting them. MLS minimum should be 100+, at the very least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Full salaries, so you don't have to visit the link multiple times
    Last edited by rydermike; 09-28-2019 at 08:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Top 10 salaries in the league. We have 3 of top 7
    Last edited by rydermike; 09-28-2019 at 08:35 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Bradley is ridiculous of course.

This table is the reality of course but doesn’t reflect the fact that his commercial deal never reflected reality.

$36M for him ($46M including transfer) was at least 2-3x his value when he was signed. He was on around $1M a year at Roma, even when adjusting for taxes etc.... I mean wow.

I posted in 2014 that, even if I had to pay him $36M, I would have paid him $8M a year for his first three years, and $4M a year for his last 3 years.

There may be only 5 DMs on earth that are Bradley's age earning $6M or more, and the other 4 are guys at Barca, Man City, or Real Madrid, like Fernandinho.

Even with the title, the leadership, and everything else, Bradley's contract is a hard deal to defend. But it wasn’t my money, so I was and am thrilled!
    Last edited by ensco; 09-28-2019 at 08:46 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We will need to cut Zavelata and Ciman to keep Mavinga around.

Bradley is more than likely not returning. We will need to blend in younger midfielders to eventually replace him, or go out and get a solid DM in the 2-3M range like Poz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's going to be an incredible amount of turnover this off-season. They better have guys lined up and ready this time or else this team is fucked again.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    There's going to be an incredible amount of turnover this off-season. They better have guys lined up and ready this time or else this team is fucked again.
    The related problem: I'm not sure about the details, but many of the TFC players are still under contract for next season. So despite them needing to do something to improve, they're also hamstrung.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    The related problem: I'm not sure about the details, but many of the TFC players are still under contract for next season. So despite them needing to do something to improve, they're also hamstrung.
    I'm wondering if the Bono & Zav deals done early 2018 were 2 year or 3 year. If they were 3, Bez wasn't thinking straight. You can not guarantee young players with career years 300K for 3 years - that's just not smart.

When it comes to Bradley, his deal is ginormous & all Tim L. But his buy is what propelled this team to be able to get Jozy, to get Seba, to get through the 2016 defeat, to win in 2017 & to get close in 2018 CCL. Without him, none of that is likely possible - a big spend but the return to MLSE was pretty good (as these things go).

In the future, other teams will offer him a DP deal that we could afford if we so choose. i.e. If he's going, its because the team is choosing not to spend on him as a DP what the market will provide for him as a DP. Can't see him going on TAM as we have 4 players on TAM deals & I struggle to think of where we would be getting more for 2020, especially with us out of CCL - maybe there is TAM for Leagues Cup but it can't be that much.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On another note, people who complain about goal keeping howlers in MLS & think it doesn't happen at higher leagues should look at what happened to Sheffield United & Tottenham today - a straight miff & a guy trying to do a drag back 1 yard out from his own goal line.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is why people who say TFC should be winning because they spend the most are looking at it too superficially. Josef Martinez is paid half of what Jozy gets, yet he has played 18 matches and gotten 15 goals to date. Jozy has played 11 matches and has gotten 7 goals. Obviously Martinez is both a better goal scorer and a better deal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So are the Reds going to end up in League Cup?

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I'm wondering if the Bono & Zav deals done early 2018 were 2 year or 3 year. If they were 3, Bez wasn't thinking straight. You can not guarantee young players with career years 300K for 3 years - that's just not smart.

When it comes to Bradley, his deal is ginormous & all Tim L. But his buy is what propelled this team to be able to get Jozy, to get Seba, to get through the 2016 defeat, to win in 2017 & to get close in 2018 CCL. Without him, none of that is likely possible - a big spend but the return to MLSE was pretty good (as these things go).

In the future, other teams will offer him a DP deal that we could afford if we so choose. i.e. If he's going, its because the team is choosing not to spend on him as a DP what the market will provide for him as a DP. Can't see him going on TAM as we have 4 players on TAM deals & I struggle to think of where we would be getting more for 2020, especially with us out of CCL - maybe there is TAM for Leagues Cup but it can't be that much.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rollins says this is worth a listen.

Justin Morrow on a podcast run by Feilhaber & Sal Zizzo.

https://wavve.link/BSThePodcast

YMMV but sounds intriguing. Its on Spotify so I'm going to download to listen while I'm on the road.
    This was excellent. Thanks for heads up.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    So are the Reds going to end up in League Cup?
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...ication-format

Top 4 teams in the East not in CCL. Atlanta is in due to the US Open & somebody is going to win the East conference & get in CCL. So, if we finish anywhere 6 and above, we are in. Unless things change, MLS teams host the first round.

Mexican teams took this a bit more seriously then people thought they would because there was a bit of coin for winning the thing. The teams who qualify for them are higher up their ladder then the MLS teams. MLS/LigaMx are thinking this might become like the Europa League.

Right now, MLS teams would be

Philly
    DCU
    TFC
    NYRB

Minnesota
    LAG
    Seattle
    RSL

Of course, if one of those US based teams wins MLS Cup, the next down team gets in.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I gather all the games are played at the MLS team outside of a neutral side final, which this year was played in Vegas. I assume the first round ticket will most likely be replacing the Champions league one in our season ticket packages.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...ication-format

Top 4 teams in the East not in CCL. Atlanta is in due to the US Open & somebody is going to win the East conference & get in CCL. So, if we finish anywhere 6 and above, we are in. Unless things change, MLS teams host the first round.

Mexican teams took this a bit more seriously then people thought they would because there was a bit of coin for winning the thing. The teams who qualify for them are higher up their ladder then the MLS teams. MLS/LigaMx are thinking this might become like the Europa League.

Right now, MLS teams would be

Philly
    DCU
    TFC
    NYRB

Minnesota
    LAG
    Seattle
    RSL

Of course, if one of those US based teams wins MLS Cup, the next down team gets in.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mexico is doubling up their best teams aren't they? Sending the Apertura and Clausera champions to the Champions League and Leagues Cup right? Meanwhile MLS sends only those who don't make Champions League

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Full salaries, so you don't have to visit the link multiple times
    Damn, Laryea only makes 56 k. That must be a bit tight living downtown Toronto... hopefully they pay for his housing. He is deserving of a big raise though that's for sure

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ was thinking the exact same thing, what a steal to have laryea on only 56k and he deserves so much more for all he has brought to the club this season. Agreed with the bump in shaff and endoh salary as well they deserve it