Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast
Results 841 to 870 of 1010
  1. #841
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,309
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    This is how a number of players feel, where who you represent is who gives you the biggest advantage.

    Some of us feel that the country that actually gave you your advantages deserves you representing them, rather than your grandfather's country, and would respectfully disagree.

    Now I've seen it argued that Canada is so deep in his position that Telfer couldn't even hope for a sniff at the CMNT. In that case, it's understandable. However, he shouldn't count as a "domestic" player any more for the CPL. The whole purpose of having the CPL is to help the CMNT.
    This issue is a biggie in world football. It tore apart the French team about 7 years ago, and cost Laurent Blanc the French MNT job.

    (France produces a ton of U 21 players who decide to ultimately play for North and West African national teams, and Blanc was taped suggesting that France have an unstated quota on U 21s that had dual nationalities.)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  2. #842
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    16,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Interesting Guardian article on the quality of MLS defending leading to lots of goals.

    https://amp.theguardian.com/football...ible-defenders

  3. #843
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    This is how a number of players feel, where who you represent is who gives you the biggest advantage.

    Some of us feel that the country that actually gave you your advantages deserves you representing them, rather than your grandfather's country, and would respectfully disagree.

    Now I've seen it argued that Canada is so deep in his position that Telfer couldn't even hope for a sniff at the CMNT. In that case, it's understandable. However, he shouldn't count as a "domestic" player any more for the CPL. The whole purpose of having the CPL is to help the CMNT.
    Does Iwobi count in Everton? He grew up in London since he was 8, came through the Arsenal academy but ultimately chose to represent Nigeria instead of England. Where does the domestic player choose to play should have no bearing on whether he is domestic or not, because the reasons why he chose to play for another country are often beyond their control.

  4. #844
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    16,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    Does Iwobi count in Everton? He grew up in London since he was 8, came through the Arsenal academy but ultimately chose to represent Nigeria instead of England. Where does the domestic player choose to play should have no bearing on whether he is domestic or not, because the reasons why he chose to play for another country are often beyond their control.
    Given that an EPL squad needs only 8 domestic players in a squad of 25, it hardly matters whether he is "domestic" or not. You can play entire games without a single English player seeing the pitch. The CPL requires a majority of starters (not just squad members) to be Canadian so domestic status is quite important.

    FWIW, the EPL being mostly foreign is one of the common reasons given for the English WC drought, and the Canadian MNT is even more in need of improving domestic talent over foreign talent than the English MNT.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 09-12-2019 at 08:40 AM.
    "Of all the things in life that don't actually matter, football matters the most." - Stuart McKeown

    Supporting since 2007


  5. #845
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northwest Territories (Section 226)
    Posts
    6,726
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    FWIW, the EPL being mostly foreign is one of the common reasons given for the English WC drought, and the Canadian MNT is even more in need of improving domestic talent over foreign talent than the English MNT.
    Soccernomics kinda blew that out of the water though.

  6. #846
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,777
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    So the President of MLS (that's Abbot, not Garber) was asked about a 4th DP today.

    His response

    (Laughs.) There’s no fourth DP coming.

  7. #847
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    995
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    News this morning reporting pedestrian bridge over the Kitchener go train tracks in liberty village north and not the lakeshore tracks/tunnel as we hoped for.
    Last edited by DinamoTFC; 09-13-2019 at 08:16 AM. Reason: wrong info initially

  8. #848
    RPB 2019 Away Team
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    491
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    News this morning reporting pedestrian bridge over the go train tracks in liberty village finally to be built this weekend. But says won't open until spring 2020.

    Finally.
    Unfortunately no where close to BMO Field though. It's a bridge connecting king to Western battery, not a bridge over the Exhibition GO station tracks.
    2019 Away Days: Philadelphia (March 2), Montreal (July 13, September 18), New York City (October 23)
    2018 Away Days: Monterrey MX (March 13), Mexico City (April 10), Guadalajara MX (April 25), Montreal (Oct 21)
    2017 Away Days
    : Salt Lake City, Philly, LA, ATL, NJ, Columbus

  9. #849
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northwest Territories (Section 226)
    Posts
    6,726
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    News this morning reporting pedestrian bridge over the go train tracks in liberty village finally to be built this weekend. But says won't open until spring 2020.

    Finally.
    Quote Originally Posted by djcuse View Post
    Unfortunately no where close to BMO Field though. It's a bridge connecting king to Western battery, not a bridge over the Exhibition GO station tracks.
    Yeah the new bridge is great for getting in & out of Liberty Village to the north, towards Shaw St. I'll probably be taking it.

    But it potentially makes the Exhibition station tunnel worse, as it could draw more peds & cyclists to come in that way rather than via Strachan. We're nowhere close to getting the crossing at the Ex station improved. And they seem incapable of even opening the new north-side entrance to Ex station, which was built a couple of years ago, and could somewhat ease the current crunch on the stairway and platform on the north.

  10. #850
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    995
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djcuse View Post
    Unfortunately no where close to BMO Field though. It's a bridge connecting king to Western battery, not a bridge over the Exhibition GO station tracks.
    Ah man thanks for catching that. Didn't realize. I got excited. I guess the wait continues...

  11. #851
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,777
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Chicago with new ownership & confirmation their last game at Bridgeland will be the one against us.

  12. #852
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    11,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Twitter chatter, Jonathan David, was actually not missed by the Canadian MLS teams but rather opted not to play for them at the advice of his trainer. Was on everyone’s radar from the age of 15 forward.

    Considering how he’s turned out his club in Ottawa deserves a lot of credit.

    Not that i’d call this the final word but think we in North America are a long way from getting youth development right. Some things need to be revisited for sure.

  13. #853
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    228
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Ah man thanks for catching that. Didn't realize. I got excited. I guess the wait continues...
    It still doesn't open to the public until next year. I believe the whole wait was 8 years.

    Maybe if the World Cup does get played in 2026 at BMO, we only need 7 more years to get an Exhibition bridge built!

  14. #854
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    683
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quick question
    Can one delete ones posts on Twitter?
    The reason I ask is all the hate for vanneyout is gone now??
    Where did it go?

  15. #855
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    413
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    And they seem incapable of even opening the new north-side entrance to Ex station, which was built a couple of years ago, and could somewhat ease the current crunch on the stairway and platform on the north.
    Does anyone have any insight into this? I'm pretty sure that was being built for the Pan Am games and then it just stopped. It's overgrown and incomplete. Just seems like some graft.

  16. #856
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Yeah the new bridge is great for getting in & out of Liberty Village to the north, towards Shaw St. I'll probably be taking it.

    But it potentially makes the Exhibition station tunnel worse, as it could draw more peds & cyclists to come in that way rather than via Strachan. We're nowhere close to getting the crossing at the Ex station improved. And they seem incapable of even opening the new north-side entrance to Ex station, which was built a couple of years ago, and could somewhat ease the current crunch on the stairway and platform on the north.
    The bottleneck is the width of the tunnel underneath. It was never meant to hold 20,000+ fans out of BMO Field into Liberty Village. They have to build a second tunnel or widen it.

  17. #857
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northwest Territories (Section 226)
    Posts
    6,726
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    The bottleneck is the width of the tunnel underneath. It was never meant to hold 20,000+ fans out of BMO Field into Liberty Village. They have to build a second tunnel or widen it.
    I agree that the whole thing is not big enough. There was talk of a 2nd tunnel or bridge a while ago, but nothing is happening with that.

    But currently the biggest bottleneck after the games is the northwest staircase. The northeast staircase is always less busy but it's a big detour. I still go that way often.

    A staircase has a lower capacity than a tunnel of the same width, as people move more slowly & cautiously on stairs than on level ground. The NW staircase (where most people go) is much narrower than the tunnel, so it's the biggest problem. The extra / wider entrance farther to the north would help, as it's higher capacity, and would separate out the people that want to go to the southbound GO platform. The south staircase might then be the next bottleneck, as it's only as wide as the tunnel, but still better than now.

    And again, I agree the whole thing isn't designed for the current situation. I'm happy nothing bad has happened. When I go to games with my daughter, we often walk a huge detour to avoid the tunnel. Then again, the situation at Dufferin is also a disaster. How freaking long can it take to replace a goddamn bridge?

  18. #858
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    413
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Then again, the situation at Dufferin is also a disaster. How freaking long can it take to replace a goddamn bridge?
    That's my next favorite one. When the construction was about to begin we got notices in the mail saying they were putting up a temporary bridge. Which I thought was very weird at the time. It's going to take you just as long to do the work, with all the associated train track closures, as it would to build the actual one. It was months and months of work. Why would you do it twice?

    Since then we've received no other notices. I can only assume this temporary bridge became permanent. But much like the new north side go tunnel entrance, who knows what the real story is.

  19. #859
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wherever I Lay my Hat
    Posts
    3,462
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

  20. #860
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,777
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That bridge is nowhere near the Ex station - its useful to open up Liberty Village to King east of the railway bridge but it won't do a thing about after game congestion.

    The actual tunnel(s) that will likely be built is still in planning stages - I suspect a lot is going to be dependent upon 2026 funding.


    https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/...ile-112265.pdf
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 09-14-2019 at 04:34 PM.

  21. #861
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wherever I Lay my Hat
    Posts
    3,462
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    That bridge is nowhere near the Ex station - its useful to open up Liberty Village to King east of the railway bridge but it won't do a thing about after game congestion.

    The actual tunnel(s) that will likely be built is still in planning stages - I suspect a lot is going to be dependent upon 2026 funding.


    https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/...ile-112265.pdf

    You are right. It's not even relevant to the conversation. Please carry on.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

  22. #862
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere, Anywhere.
    Posts
    9,622
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    But what does the opening paragraph mean then? A new pedestrian bridge will be installed in Liberty Village this weekend which the provincial transit agency says will provide direct access to the Exhibition GO station.

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    That bridge is nowhere near the Ex station - its useful to open up Liberty Village to King east of the railway bridge but it won't do a thing about after game congestion.

    The actual tunnel(s) that will likely be built is still in planning stages - I suspect a lot is going to be dependent upon 2026 funding.


    https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/...ile-112265.pdf

    Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

  23. #863
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,777
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    But what does the opening paragraph mean then? A new pedestrian bridge will be installed in Liberty Village this weekend which the provincial transit agency says will provide direct access to the Exhibition GO station.
    A bridge over that railroad requires Metrolinx permission, at least. They seemed to want to run the project. So, they put in the bit about Exhibition Station in order to make it look like GO related project.

    When you look at the map, its basically a pedestrian bridge to just East of the Metro.

  24. #864
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,954
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    Quick question
    Can one delete ones posts on Twitter?
    The reason I ask is all the hate for vanneyout is gone now??
    Where did it go?
    Still alive with me. I just think he's not going anywhere until the off-season if anything. I'm not going to shout into the void with no hope of change.

  25. #865
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    113 survivor
    Posts
    2,010
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Everything going TFC's way tonight.

    Atlanta 1-3 Columbus
    Montreal 0-1 Cincy (HAHAHA)
    Orlando 3-3 NE

    Somehow, TFC still have a chance of overtaking Atlanta. Doubt it happens but the thought would have seemed ludicrous in July.

  26. #866
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Chicago with new ownership & confirmation their last game at Bridgeland will be the one against us.
    Looks like they'll be playing in Soldier Field for 2020 season. Cost the Fire $65M to break the lease, which locked them in until 2036. Also, Forbes article indicates a $400M valuation of the Fire.

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissm.../#44c6dfbd4709

  27. #867
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northwest Territories (Section 226)
    Posts
    6,726
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowcrash View Post
    Looks like they'll be playing in Soldier Field for 2020 season. Cost the Fire $65M to break the lease, which locked them in until 2036. Also, Forbes article indicates a $400M valuation of the Fire.

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissm.../#44c6dfbd4709
    Holy crap, that's a very interesting article. In July 2018, Chicago Fire was valued at $240 million; now it's valued at $400 million based on these transactions. I realize there may be other factors -- i.e. somebody may charge a premium to completely give up control of an asset. But it's clear the value of MLS teams must be rising significantly; even those that don't seem to be very successful. Expansion fees have been announced at $200 million.

  28. #868
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,777
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Chicago & Houston are the big untapped potential markets for MLS - with proper ownership that builds a complete organization & focuses on the communities within their cities they would be massive teams getting 25K crowds every week.

    The Latino communities in both cities have been completely ignored apart from token attempts to outreach. (Mind you, I'd like to see TFC break out from the European nights they do for local groups and try outreach to Caribbean or South or Central American groups)

  29. #869
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Chicago & Houston are the big untapped potential markets for MLS - with proper ownership that builds a complete organization & focuses on the communities within their cities they would be massive teams getting 25K crowds every week.

    The Latino communities in both cities have been completely ignored apart from token attempts to outreach. (Mind you, I'd like to see TFC break out from the European nights they do for local groups and try outreach to Caribbean or South or Central American groups)

    What kills me is that they have a Croatian night every year. Surprised we don't have a Croatian stud player on the team.

  30. #870
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    16,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Montreal's coaching change has turned into a complete disaster. Losing to Cincinnati has to be a low point for them.
    "Of all the things in life that don't actually matter, football matters the most." - Stuart McKeown

    Supporting since 2007


 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •