Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably need an LAFC discussion thread. Their stats are unreal

https://twitter.com/mattdoyle76/stat...920100353?s=21
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

LAFC's goal differential is +46 with 8 games left.

That's a really impressive stat. TFC was +37 for the 2017 Championship Season. I haven't seen any LAFC games this year but I imagine its a real joy watching them play.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LAFC have been fairly entertaining to watch, they always put on a high press for the ball and try to get the turnover by rushing them quickly and all as a team not one individual at at time. Their stadium seems like they have a great supporters and extremely loud in there. Curious to see how Toronto will fare against them next month when we travel to their stadium.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just one weird thing on that supporter wall with LAFC.

They had a reporter in this week for the San Jose game - when people scored, she wanted to cheeer and got chided by people for stopping the singing.

i.e. We never stop singing more important then what happens on the field.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are actually more dominant than the original NY Cosmos were in the original NASL, which didn't have a salary cap for most of its existence. The Cosmos won 65% of their matches, LAFC is ahead of that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Just one weird thing on that supporter wall with LAFC.

They had a reporter in this week for the San Jose game - when people scored, she wanted to cheeer and got chided by people for stopping the singing.

i.e. We never stop singing more important then what happens on the field.
    Weird and no so much. All depends where you want to take that supporters group and how well you want be known. I’ve been to Belgrade to watch red star play ( I have family that are massive Delije ). And with those guys if you stop chanting or singing when a chant is on you will be yelled at once. The second time you are being asked to leave with no choice for you You will be removed from there or you’re best to just leave on you’re own. They are right, there is more then half the stadium for you to sit on you’re hands and watch the game. But if you’re there to be a part of something then that’s youre job today. Win or lose! When I get a chance to sit in our supporters area I don’t even let my 5 year old stop chanting and singing. When we go to our seats we can sit and watch the game WE NEED TO BE UNITED AND LOUD TONIGHT!! Not 3 separate chants going at once. GO REDS If this is in wrong thread sorry but the post about reporter caught my attention

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SPALE View Post
    Weird and no so much. All depends where you want to take that supporters group and how well you want be known. I’ve been to Belgrade to watch red star play ( I have family that are massive Delije ). And with those guys if you stop chanting or singing when a chant is on you will be yelled at once. The second time you are being asked to leave with no choice for you You will be removed from there or you’re best to just leave on you’re own. They are right, there is more then half the stadium for you to sit on you’re hands and watch the game. But if you’re there to be a part of something then that’s youre job today. Win or lose! When I get a chance to sit in our supporters area I don’t even let my 5 year old stop chanting and singing. When we go to our seats we can sit and watch the game WE NEED TO BE UNITED AND LOUD TONIGHT!! Not 3 separate chants going at once. GO REDS If this is in wrong thread sorry but the post about reporter caught my attention
    There is a difference between sitting on your hands and reacting to game events like scoring by switching from a chant to cheering. That was the point. Different styles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm calling it right now. LA will be MLS' Tampa Bay come playoff time. They aren't lifting the cup.

Quote Originally Posted by SPALE View Post
    When I get a chance to sit in our supporters area I don’t even let my 5 year old stop chanting and singing.
    I love the passion but this is drivel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    I'm calling it right now. LA will be MLS' Tampa Bay come playoff time. They aren't lifting the cup
    Why? I don’t get where that level of certainty could come from..

I suppose Atlanta could beat them, though I wouldn’t call it likely.

Kinda feels like the league should just cancel the playoffs and let those two play a best of 7.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why? I don’t get where that level of certainty could come from..
    No rhyme or reason. I just have a feeling. Things are going too well. #TooMuchOfAGoodThing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beating LAFC over 2 legs in the playoffs this year would seem quite the tall order... with it being single-game elimination now, other teams have a chance. They should still win the Cup though with this kind of season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This playoff format sucks, this is soccer not NFL football, play a home and away two game series please. Moreover , cramming all these games in a shorter season sucks too, too many games where good players were rested this season because of all the midweek games. Until this league has better depth of players it’s not fair for the paying public to go watch so many games where top players are rested because of all the games crammed into a shorter season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    This playoff format sucks, this is soccer not NFL football, play a home and away two game series please. Moreover , cramming all these games in a shorter season sucks too, too many games where good players were rested this season because of all the midweek games. Until this league has better depth of players it’s not fair for the paying public to go watch so many games where top players are rested because of all the games crammed into a shorter season.
    The counterpoint is people will complain about playing during the middle of winter, or worse, BMO Field in the middle of February.

The current playoff format is designed so that luck and random chance determines winners.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    The counterpoint is people will complain about playing during the middle of winter, or worse, BMO Field in the middle of February.

The current playoff format is designed so that luck and random chance determines winners.
    And to cut down the negatives of having 2 international break periods during the playoffs which kill any momentum or buzz.
    We will see if it works or not this year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its really just an invitational cup competition that happens to be called the playoffs. 1 and done is fine by me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    What can you do when a lot of teams are in the north with awful winters?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, looking a bit at the schedule.... Here are our remaining games:
    @NE, @cin, @nyc, Col, @mtl (Can champ), @lafc, mtl (can champ), @chicago, cbus

I really like this site: http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/TorontoFC.html for showing our chances for making the playoffs and seeding.

Basically, we need 2 wins for a 38% of getting into the playoffs, and 5 wins would give us a 77% of a home game.

LAFC is a throw away game (in between montreal games and does anyone really think we can win there?), NYCFC would be a good chance at a loss due to international call ups (bradley, altidore, gonzalez, osorio, possible others). Cincinnati is the easiest case for a win, even without the international call ups).

So, we lose LAFC, NYCFC..... we win Cincinnati, Colorado, and Columbus. Let's say we tie Chicago. The NE game is the difference between going on the road in the playoffs (93% vs 5% to host) and 43% chance to host one game at least vs. 57% going on the road.

Both scenarios have our most likely opponent will be NY Red Bulls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker View Post
    Ok, looking a bit at the schedule.... Here are our remaining games:
    @NE, @cin, @nyc, Col, @mtl (Can champ), @lafc, mtl (can champ), @chicago, cbus

I really like this site: http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/TorontoFC.html for showing our chances for making the playoffs and seeding.

Basically, we need 2 wins for a 38% of getting into the playoffs, and 5 wins would give us a 77% of a home game.

LAFC is a throw away game (in between montreal games and does anyone really think we can win there?), NYCFC would be a good chance at a loss due to international call ups (bradley, altidore, gonzalez, osorio, possible others). Cincinnati is the easiest case for a win, even without the international call ups).

So, we lose LAFC, NYCFC..... we win Cincinnati, Colorado, and Columbus. Let's say we tie Chicago. The NE game is the difference between going on the road in the playoffs (93% vs 5% to host) and 43% chance to host one game at least vs. 57% going on the road.

Both scenarios have our most likely opponent will be NY Red Bulls.
    If you notice on TFC V NER game; if the good guys win, there's 20% increase in the chances of making the playoffs. A loss is decrease of 11% chance in getting in. It's a huge game and it would be great to win in that dump.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The September US games are friendlies - I'm not too sure Bradley or Gonzalez get called up again period & I would say its 50/50 for Altidore in this window (he will be gone in October/November).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terrence Boyd has scored 2 goals (and 1 assist) in 3 games in 3rd division Germany. I think back to that penalty kick in the Champions League he missed, wonder if he scored if it would've completely changed his performance or if that was always a monkey on his back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Terrence Boyd has scored 2 goals (and 1 assist) in 3 games in 3rd division Germany. I think back to that penalty kick in the Champions League he missed, wonder if he scored if it would've completely changed his performance or if that was always a monkey on his back.
    Maybe it’s the fact it is the German 3rd division ? Yes the MLS is not a top 6 league in the world but it’s definitely better than the German 3rd division and I’m not surprised that this Boyd guy is scoring there .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its really just an invitational cup competition that happens to be called the playoffs. 1 and done is fine by me.
    Ya but we live in North America where playoffs are what counts, yes it was nice winning the Supporters Shield in 2017 but let’s be honest apart from the hardcore fans winning the Supporters Shield did anyone in Toronto even notice ? But winning the MLS Cup did create a bit of a buzz in the city. So therefore let’s get the playoff format right and get back to the two game home and away series , let’s keep the one game one and done for the MLS Cup Final.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Very happy for Terry. He has class.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The September US games are friendlies - I'm not too sure Bradley or Gonzalez get called up again period & I would say its 50/50 for Altidore in this window (he will be gone in October/November).
    TFC will already be without a few during the international break as Canada has a pair of Nation's League matches vs. Cuba, the Reds are at Cincinnati at the same time on Saturday. Expect at least a few to be gone for this, Oso, Ashtone, maybe Chappers, Liam, there will be some give and take here. In regards to the US they have their biggest rival Mexico on the Friday night on America's biggest stage in NYC. It will be interesting to see if Jozy and Michael choose to go. Jozy at this point can't be turning down USMNT opportunities. These two are American legends but they also have enough understanding of their importance to TFC playoff push too, so there will be some give and take here too.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlanta booking their place in CCL next year winning the US Open Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlanta booking their place in CCL next year winning the US Open Cup.
    LAFC pretty much have supporters shield as well. Hoping for the Galaxy to win the playoffs.

LAG, LAFC and Atlanta would be a very very strong showing for MLS in CCL. If we get our shit together it'll be the best ever group of teams from MLS in CCL by a longshot.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    LAFC pretty much have supporters shield as well. Hoping for the Galaxy to win the playoffs.

LAG, LAFC and Atlanta would be a very very strong showing for MLS in CCL. If we get our shit together it'll be the best ever group of teams from MLS in CCL by a longshot.
    2 LA teams in their might move the needle as far as US soccer culture taking CCL seriously (ironically I've been involved in a running discussion with Atlanta fans who consider the Campeones cup as a major trophy)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Hoping for the Galaxy to win the playoffs.
    I think you mean you hope the Galaxy lose in the finals to a last minute red hot Toronto Fc

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good news.... no USMNT call ups for September friendlies (vs. Mexico and Uruguay).
    https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...co-and-uruguay

OG, Bradley, and Jozy all available for Cincinnati and NYCFC games. Let's see who gets called up for Canada (probably Osorio at least)