Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I’m actually not sure this is good news. Remember the articles we all sloughed off saying MLS is essentially a Ponzi scheme, addicted to the expansion fees? I’m starting to think there is some truth in that. MLS can’t resist any ownership group with a stadium render and the money for the expansion fee. Is that much expansion good, especially when a fair number of teams really aren’t that successful in their markets?
    Yeah, it’s starting to look NHL-esque. Rather than leave some good targets in place and holding lagging franchises feet to the fire, they continue to coupon clip and chase easy short-term money.

#1 priority here should be fixing the north East market. Get Chicago and NER under better ownership or force current ownership to fix the stadium situations. Get NYCFC in a permanent soccer specific home. Make sure Phily is under good management doesn’t continue to face plant perpetually.

If they don’t address this shit they are losing a chunk of the largest viewing market in the United States which is bad news for everyone.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Expansion is inevitable with this league. Owners love the money. Markets want the league. New markets seem to increase success. I genuinely would not be shocked if MLS was the first major league in the US to go beyond 32 teams. I've always advocated for MLS East and West leagues similar to the MLB; perhaps some inter-league play. This way to league could have a balance scheduled with 18 teams on each side.

MLS really should focus on fixing its current teams in major markets though. Not to say it can't all be done at once; just look at DC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The defacto League 1 & League 2 feel to much of MLS is going to just get stronger the more teams come into this league.

The difference between teams used to be in the players. Now the difference is in the organizations.

Current League 1

Columbus
    TFC
    Montreal
    DCU
    NYRB
    Atlanta
    SKC
    LAFC
    LAG
    Seattle
    Houston
    FCD
    NYCFC
    Portland

All of those teams have the underpinnings to stay contenders for years.

Yes, there are some teams in there not doing so well right now, mostly due to some bad manager choices - but does anybody expect those teams to NOT get back into form at some point in the next 2 seasons? And, yes, Montreal is in that group precisely because of their manager & the fact Joey has kicked himself out of the decision making process.

Now look at the rest

Chicago
    Cinci
    Philly
    Orlando
    NER
    Loons
    RSL
    VCWC
    SJE
    Colorado

Most seasons, you can fully expect the teams in League 1 to beat the teams in League 2.

We don't need pro/rel in MLS - it exists already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David_Oliveira View Post
    It just seems to be too many teams for me. Does this mean pro/rel is coming soon?
    No, for all the same reasons the pro/rel discussion has failed in the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This looks ugly – hope they get it sorted out soon:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfc-...ainer-dispute/

Upon reflection, this is actually really bad.

I mean, this is way worse than what vdW did, for example. Now, Jozy is much more attached to the club, obviously, so he'll get away with it in the end, but he's going to have to do some serious penance I think.
    Last edited by James17930; 04-20-2019 at 04:53 AM.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy's instagram shows that he in the trainer are back working together.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tenorio in LA talking with Bob Bradley & Musing on MLS & where it is heading. (paywalled)

https://theathletic.com/940589/2019/04/23/

Some interesting quotes in there including

“I wish I could see it every game in MLS,” LAFC head coach Bob Bradley said of his own team’s performance—their ideas, creativity, technical ability and high degree of execution. “(But) I don’t. I wish you could look around the USL and see it every game; you don’t. I wish you could see it in every Development Academy. I wish you could see it in every unaffiliated club. I wish I could show up and watch football anywhere and see football that is the way you know it needs to be played in order for the game to grow, in order to develop players.”

And he continued in that vein, saying, “If you go and watch a game and see two teams slugging it out and no ideas and just wrestling matches and everything else, that drives me crazy. That’s shit. No, I don’t care where it is, and the only responsibility we have is to try to (play good soccer) every time we step onto the field.”
    It’s a responsibility to the game that Bradley takes seriously. Sunday showed what it looks like when it’s executed well.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 04-23-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Tenorio in LA talking with Bradley & Musing on MLS & where it is heading. (paywalled)

https://theathletic.com/940589/2019/04/23/

Some interesting quotes in there including
    Make him the commissioner.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man the PR storm the Whitecaps have going is something else. As soon as one embarrassment starts to fade they toss another log on the fire.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/04...MBfluF2vxFpNwQ

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This reminds me of the reason why I stopped following the CFL (the Hamilton coach fiasco of a few years ago).

If I was a VCWC supporter, I'd probably be burning my jersey now, cancelling my membership & finding another place to support.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And we thought our old Mo, Anselmi, Payne FOs were a disaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Man the PR storm the Whitecaps have going is something else. As soon as one embarrassment starts to fade they toss another log on the fire.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/04...MBfluF2vxFpNwQ
    What a joke. So the FA investigated and from the sounds of the article seemed to verify the claim against the coach. But the Caps look to ignore that. And, to top it all off, come to this guy’s defence? Am I missing something here?!?

Lenarduzzi is making Mo Johnston look like SAF.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A statement done through a twitter thread from apparently the most positive & optimistic VCWC supporter around, a guy who changes his flights to get to games.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...646149126.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adams has been an “outstanding coach, leader and member” of their soccer community
    Imagine being the guy defending a coach who wrote 'f*ck off' on a banana and threw it at one of his team's black players.

And since their FO seems to want to defend all these 'coaches' who did these things, I think a full scale, scorched Earth implosion is imminent.

Thankfully Davies got out.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 04-23-2019 at 10:37 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robo must be relieved not to be a part of that shitshow in B.C.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    Robo must be relieved not to be a part of that shitshow in B.C.
    Hopefully he wasn't the guy who recommended Adams. Doesn't say who that was.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Imagine being the guy defending a coach who wrote 'f*ck off' on a banana and threw it at one of his team's black players.

And since their FO seems to want to defend all these 'coaches' who did these things, I think a full scale, scorched Earth implosion is imminent.

Thankfully Davies got out.
    Any team can be forgiven for hiring someone based on a recommendation from someone they trust, and there being something in the past that they didn't know about.

However, the way in which the team has handled their scandals boggles the mind. It's shocking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Any team can be forgiven for hiring someone based on a recommendation from someone they trust, and there being something in the past that they didn't know about.

However, the way in which the team has handled their scandals boggles the mind. It's shocking.
    Sure, but this guy was under investigation by the FA – seems like that's something that would/should have been known.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Sure, but this guy was under investigation by the FA – seems like that's something that would/should have been known.
    Good point.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of embarrasments

Apparently the Nazi Latino skinhead NYFC supporters travelled to DCU on the weekend & unfurled banners

WARNING: Maybe NSFW

Consider where you are before you open this - Neo Nazi images shown

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...64493160448.ht (the link won't go anywhere - put ml at the end for those who want to link)

So not only does NYC have a problem, but these guys are travelling to other stadiums.

(if the mods want to edit this, I understand)
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 04-24-2019 at 12:43 PM. Reason: The graphics link now off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Apparently the Nazi Latino skinhead NYFC supporters travelled to DCU on the weekend & unfurled banners
    How the league and teams are turning a blind eye to this is disgusting.

Anyone see these assholes when NYC came to Toronto? I assume it would have been bigger news if they'd made the trip here.
    Last edited by Ben - D.O.W.; 04-24-2019 at 01:51 PM.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

Doesn’t really absolve you from running a basic background check, regardless of the reference. Especially true for someone who is going to be working with minors.

Heck, when I volunteered to coached youth soccer at my local club I had to sign waivers for a background check and submit a police report. The whitecaps aren’t capable of doing this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just noticed that we have to visit most of the top western teams and host the lower level ones. Of the top 5, only Houston comes our way. So we don't get to see either LA team or Dallas at home... And we've already seen Seattle.

And of the bottom 7, we only visit Vancouver and RSL...

I suppose we can consider it good from a "scouting for the Cup final" perspective.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have benefitted from a friendly schedule and rest, and we got some breaks (late results against NE and Minn could have been very different). We are not right now as good as our record.

Same for the Galaxy btw
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As the shirt sponsor Bell should way in on the whitecaps scandals, this is a #letstalk moment if there ever was one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    As the shirt sponsor Bell should way in on the whitecaps scandals, this is a #letstalk moment if there ever was one.
    As much as I support the principles of the #letstalk campaign, it’s just a marketing technique.
    Last edited by stegosaurus; 04-25-2019 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Words

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the TFC "we did well as an academy in GA" promo article

He did mention something particularly special about that U15 team.

“The U15s, which is a really strong group for us, was our first U11 team,” said Vanney. “[They] started in our club when they were ten years old. [That's] the reason why at 15 now, they're one of the best teams across North and Central America.”

“They started here early, they've been locked in since, and we've continued to build with that group. We're seeing that process work. That's exciting,” emphasized Vanney. “It will ultimately be measured with these young players getting into the first team and making a difference. We're starting to see some of that as well.”
    Hope for 2023 & 2024

Note they lost to Chivas on penalties after beating 4 Mexican teams (including Chivas) in prelim rounds - always Chivas with the penalties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drilling down on what’s happening in the academy right now, there are two very high potential prospects. One is Marshall-Rutty who is the 14-yo TFC2 signed earlier this year. The other is 16 y.o. Jayden Nelson who is already starting to give USL defenders fits.

As far as I can tell one plays FW on the left and the other plays the same spot on the right.

Now if we could just start bringing through some defenders...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pro insight to what happened in a few reviews last week

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Telfer just scored the inaugural CPL goal.