Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1186
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Fire ownership didn't change their front office - they are going to make some serious mistakes and could easily end up looking like Houston Dynamo - in a downtown location stadium but nobody bothers to go to because they are irrelevant.

Nice guy owner but his decision not to clean house in the FO is going to doom that team.
    I'm convinced that the most important thing Tim Leiweke did was clearing out 95% of TFC's FO. Sometimes to change a culture you need to change the personnel. Chicago might be another disfunctional FO like TFC's was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 105 View Post
    Forbes 2019 valuations

So does this mean the team lost $19.0 million last year or cleared $19.0 million?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 105 View Post
    Forbes 2019 valuations

Interesting, thanks for sharing this.

Some interesting points:
    Most of the teams are "losing money" on the team itself, however the TV rights through SUM obviously are higher than these small "losses" (that only include the gate and sponsorships, not TV revenue).

It's pretty impressive how much team valuations keep climbing. It's now about half of an NHL team, which is huge when you consider that the original MLS teams were $5m, and MLSE paid $10M for the TFC franchise.

It's also interesting how low Montreal's revenues are. That's why the loss on the team itself is almost as high as TFC's despite Joey Saputo barely spending compared to TFC.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    So does this mean the team lost $19.0 million last year or cleared $19.0 million?
    Lost $19m, but doesn't include Soccer United Marketing (TV) revenues. Being an MLS owner / operator gives a proportionate share in SUM, which is organized as a separate entity.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 11-05-2019 at 09:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Domenec Torrent and NYCFC parted ways.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Domenec Torrent and NYCFC parted ways.
    Holy crap, only a one-year rent-a-coach?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    It's their way. Them and Montreal are locked in a battle for most manager turnover. As long as Crazy Joey is meddling in Impact affairs it won't be a contest though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Torrent was not interested in the project anymore & was ticked at NYC not spending money to get him the players he needed to succeed - he saw that many of his recruits were there because Man City wanted them developed rather then building a team.

City Group has no clue how to develop players so not surprised.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Torrent was not interested in the project anymore & was ticked at NYC not spending money to get him the players he needed to succeed - he saw that many of his recruits were there because Man City wanted them developed rather then building a team.

City Group has no clue how to develop players so not surprised.
    That makes sense. Pretty crazy that after ending up top of the Eastern conference, there was not enough good will to come up with a reasonable compromise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That makes sense. Pretty crazy that after ending up top of the Eastern conference, there was not enough good will to come up with a reasonable compromise.
    He also reportedly couldn't stand all the weird rules and xAM's MLS has

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bill Manning said safe standing coming in 2021 and the beer garden returns in 2020
    Last edited by sn0re; 11-13-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    Bill Manning said safe standing coming in 2021 and the beer garden returns in 2020
    Safe standing is great news for the south end.

Isn't the beer garden already there or do they have something else planned?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    Isn't the beer garden already there or do they have something else planned?
    They had that temp stand the past couple years so there was no garden like it used to be where you can watch the match at high tables and have beer stands located right there. I won't go to it ever but I am glad it's back. Spent a lot of time and money there the first few years until I managed to relocated eventually to the south end. Decent gathering spot pre-match for a beer though if meeting up with people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most recent beer garden is disappointing and any improvements are welcomed. Are they planning on removing the temp stands? Elevating the beer garden area? I have so many questions as my season seats are in 126 and I am wondering what they have planned for the north end.

It has looked very unfinished since the Argos moved in. Below was the best version IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most recent beer garden is disappointing and any improvements are welcomed. Are they planning on removing the temp stands? Elevating the beer garden area? I have so many questions as my season seats are in 126 and I am wondering what they have planned for the north end.

It has looked very unfinished since the Argos moved in. Below was the best version IMO.
    Maybe he had this in mind before the north stand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Impact hire Thierry Henry as head coach

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They need a hand.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is my problem, I grew up an Argo's fan and I love the passion the existing fans have for the team. Unfortunately, I have lost touch and now an avid Soccer fan (not just TFC, but absolutely TFC). I want the Argo's to succeed but don't force fit the solution, do it to a best in class standard.

Let's be honest, BMO field was build to create an intimate environment for soccer and it worked. Canadian Football came later, they were originally going to Varisty or Lamport Stadiums. Interesting read on the history of the stadium in Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMO_Field). The north end changed to accommodate the football team, when MLSE bought them (larger field) and imho it wasn't well thought out and we lost some of that intimacy.

It is clear TFC/MLSE is one of the best organizations in MLS. If we make any changes or additions, do it well and create a positive experience for game day, there is no reason that the beer garden shouldn't be the best in North America. Don't do it just to grab a few extra bucks.

With all this going on, we also need to think about how we can accommodate 55-60,000 for World Cup game(s) in 2026. This should be interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Henry at the Impact? That will go swimmingly. Lolz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still can't stop laughing at this.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He needs to make sure to rent and not buy a home.

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    They need a hand.
    Lolz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Here is my problem, I grew up an Argo's fan and I love the passion the existing fans have for the team. Unfortunately, I have lost touch and now an avid Soccer fan (not just TFC, but absolutely TFC). I want the Argo's to succeed but don't force fit the solution, do it to a best in class standard.

Let's be honest, BMO field was build to create an intimate environment for soccer and it worked. Canadian Football came later, they were originally going to Varisty or Lamport Stadiums. Interesting read on the history of the stadium in Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMO_Field). The north end changed to accommodate the football team, when MLSE bought them (larger field) and imho it wasn't well thought out and we lost some of that intimacy.

It is clear TFC/MLSE is one of the best organizations in MLS. If we make any changes or additions, do it well and create a positive experience for game day, there is no reason that the beer garden shouldn't be the best in North America. Don't do it just to grab a few extra bucks.

With all this going on, we also need to think about how we can accommodate 55-60,000 for World Cup game(s) in 2026. This should be interesting.
    From what I remember, the city had told MLSE that BMO was supposed to be built to accommodate football, but they ignored that and built it specifically to fit soccer only. I Beleive that's why the renovations happened was because the city pulled out the original agreement and said you delibretly didn't, now fix it,resulting in the north end being what it is now - they designed it so football couldn't come in, but backfired on them because they didn't follow the original agreement and since BMO is owned by the city, they had to fix it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I remember, the city had told MLSE that BMO was supposed to be built to accommodate football, but they ignored that and built it specifically to fit soccer only. I Beleive that's why the renovations happened was because the city pulled out the original agreement and said you delibretly didn't, now fix it,resulting in the north end being what it is now - they designed it so football couldn't come in, but backfired on them because they didn't follow the original agreement and since BMO is owned by the city, they had to fix it
    David Miller was mayor at the time. He most definitely didn't want the Argos playing at BMO. I don't think the city made any demand for the Argos to play there and certainly wouldn't have given the land if MLSE simply ignored their direction. My recollection is that the Argos decided not to be part of the plan. They were going to go to York or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    They need a hand.
    Hahahahaha haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    David Miller was mayor at the time. He most definitely didn't want the Argos playing at BMO. I don't think the city made any demand for the Argos to play there and certainly wouldn't have given the land if MLSE simply ignored their direction. My recollection is that the Argos decided not to be part of the plan. They were going to go to York or something.
    First proposed as Soccer Canada - MLSE - Argos partnership at Varsity. U of T voted against it. Tried York and it failed. Argos dropped out: that’s why the City had to put in $10,000,000 but Soccer Canada/MLSE agreed to build it at the Ex and City would own it. Council did ask that it be expandable but MLSE reportedly built it in a way that it wasn’t.

I hope they do the North end in a way that looks much better at the stadium and in TV than this year. Be nice if the Argos found somewhere else - Varsity? - but not holding my breath so it with have to be removable.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He needs to make sure to rent and not buy a home.

Here's a link to the news

https://www.tsn.ca/montreal-impact-h...oach-1.1397633

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    So Henry called them about the opening and they just hired him without interviewing anyone else.

Classic Joey.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the Impact got Henry and DC wants to keep Olsen so I guess that's two less teams in the east to worry about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    So glad the safe standing is still on the agenda, hopefully it's not delayed again - it'd do wonders for the atmosphere

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ticked a bit about Henry because we need the Impact to get to the second round to maintain the CCL coefficient for when we get back in.