Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    I think you are confusing a couple of issues. Whether or not the word is common is irrelevant - what matters is whether or not the term is descriptive. Many trademarks (especially in the USA) will be common English words. The real question in this case is confusion - i.e. would a soccer fan think Inter Miami is related to Inter Milan or would s/he think Inter Miami is just another Inter team. I stand on Inter Miami's side on this one - it's not like they are trying to use Inter on its own.
    Probably just a case of protecting a trademark. Plenty of “Internacionals” to go around. Not many of them are “Inter Mi...” though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Miami's name is Club Futbol Internacional Miami. Inter of Milan is Internazionale. If its all about the short form version it could easily be settled. But Miami will not lose calling itself Internacional. Theoretically, Miami could officially have to use InternacionalMiami instead of InterMiami but that doesnt stop the city, fan, journalists etc from calling the team Inter. And down the road no one will even know the difference anymore. Waste of a lawsuit.
    I don't think Miami loses anything if they lose the lawsuit - their full name is unlike Milan's full name. At worst, they lose and just go around calling themselves CFI Miami, which might have more of a cachet among american fans. If the fans start using Inter Miami as the nickname for the team, there's not much Inter Milan can do to stop them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Miami's name is Club Futbol Internacional Miami. Inter of Milan is Internazionale. If its all about the short form version it could easily be settled. But Miami will not lose calling itself Internacional. Theoretically, Miami could officially have to use InternacionalMiami instead of InterMiami but that doesnt stop the city, fan, journalists etc from calling the team Inter. And down the road no one will even know the difference anymore. Waste of a lawsuit.
    The article indicates that the term "Inter" is what's at issue here, which makes sense. "Inter" is a brand Inter Milan is trying to protect.

We have to think of this as a legal matter and not as footy supporters. (Footy supporters may automatically recognize the difference but would "reasonable person" think the same?) Whether they win the matter or not is another story but they have an argument.
    Last edited by Mike_S; 04-05-2019 at 11:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you are confusing a couple of issues. Whether or not the word is common is irrelevant - what matters is whether or not the term is descriptive. Many trademarks (especially in the USA) will be common English words. The real question in this case is confusion - i.e. would a soccer fan think Inter Miami is related to Inter Milan or would s/he think Inter Miami is just another Inter team. I stand on Inter Miami's side on this one - it's not like they are trying to use Inter on its own.
    Not confusing the matter at all. It is more difficult to trademark a common word than a unique one. And as for your second point, that's what I said too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_S View Post
    Not confusing the matter at all. It is more difficult to trademark a common word than a unique one. And as for your second point, that's what I said too.
    Right. “Inter” is a trademark, so they have to defend it. That’s how trademarks work.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Right. “Inter” is a trademark, so they have to defend it. That’s how trademarks work.
    I don’t believe that Inter has been registered at the USPTO yet. I think they have filed, but Miami is opposing it (for obvious reasons). Admittedly, I am not following too closely. However, even if Inter is registered on its own, Miami can make the case that “inter” is not confusing with “inter Miami” to the target market.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_S View Post
    if I want to start a clothing company and call it Fish, there is a good chance I can register a trademark (assuming all the other factors work in my favour) even though fish is a common word. If I want to open a fishmonger and call it fish, there is very little chance I can register a tm because it is descriptive of the wares. Now if you have a unique word, descriptiveness is less of an issue. Subtle point, but I feel like arguing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t believe that Inter has been registered at the USPTO yet. I think they have filed, but Miami is opposing it (for obvious reasons). Admittedly, I am not following too closely. However, even if Inter is registered on its own, Miami can make the case that “inter” is not confusing with “inter Miami” to the target market.
    Sorry, but you’re wrong: https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/04/04...m-name-beckham

If you register a trademark you have to defend it. That’s how trademarks work. Miami bringing up Inter Turku is meant to show that Inter hasn’t vigorously defended their trademark previously, not that they can’t be confused.

If you say “Inter” in America, you mean the Milanese team, not Miami. Seems like that would be a pointless way to lose the case.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, but you’re wrong: https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/04/04...m-name-beckham

If you register a trademark you have to defend it. That’s how trademarks work. Miami bringing up Inter Turku is meant to show that Inter hasn’t vigorously defended their trademark previously, not that they can’t be confused.

If you say “Inter” in America, you mean the Milanese team, not Miami. Seems like that would be a pointless way to lose the case.
    From the article you reference:
    This is a central point in Major League Soccer’s legal attempt to block Italian soccer club FC Internazionale Milano—better known as Inter Milan—from gaining trademark protection for the word “Inter,” which it applied for in 2014 with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
    "Inter" is simply not yet a registered trademark in US.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the article you reference:

"Inter" is simply not yet a registered trademark in US.
    You still have to defend trademarks you’ve applied for.

I don’t know why they’re wasting money on lawyers when they could just assemble a legal team composed entirely of internet denizens.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chicago fans have long held the Bridgeview contract as a huge boondoggle and hindrance.

For them, this is a huge step forward, not backwards.
    No doubt it was a hindrance to move on but this is not a move to the future yet. I hope they can get there next but this is absolutely a step back to move forward.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    No doubt it was a hindrance to move on but this is not a move to the future yet. I hope they can get there next but this is absolutely a step back to move forward.
    There’s a Tenorio article on TheAthletic regarding the buyout where he talks about the ownership’s real estate lobbying and the move being temporary. They’re definitely not intending to stay there forever, and unlike NYCFC they look like they actually want to improve the franchise’s situation.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There’s a Tenorio article on TheAthletic regarding the buyout where he talks about the ownership’s real estate lobbying and the move being temporary. They’re definitely not intending to stay there forever, and unlike NYCFC they look like they actually want to improve the franchise’s situation.

This is great news. I'm glad they acknowledge the need for their own stadium. Even a shared, right-sized stadium is a step forward.

As long as they keep updating their support while they squat at Soldier Field again.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not for lack of trying, mind you. Getting land in four of the boroughs (I doubt NYCFC would build a stadium in Staten Island) for a football stadium is literally trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Chicago isn’t easy either, but certainly much easier than New York City boroughs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I'm going to say on this is I am REALLY looking forward to us screwing the Whitecaps as much as possible this year.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...P=share_btn_tw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't watch this season any other MLS games except all the TFC ones, but just looking at all the results and the standings it seems to me that this year the West is much more full of quality than the East.
    Or maybe just the East teams (the supposed to be good ones) had a very weak season start?
    What do you guys think?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    All I'm going to say on this is I am REALLY looking forward to us screwing the Whitecaps as much as possible this year.

Wow that's so disgusting!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe what I just read. This should be a much bigger story than it is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Christ!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    I can't believe what I just read. This should be a much bigger story than it is.
    Been following this mess since the original post on twitter. The VWFC seem to have a firm grip on the BC press that this story is leaking out instead of flooding out with a tidal wave. Glad to see it is getting into full view now and hopefully see some action in sorting this out.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Supporters groups getting involved

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to see the supporters groups getting involved.

More info out now: https://www.theguardian.com/football...ch-allegations

The club gave Birarda an apartment in the same building where the girls from out of town were staying, even though Biranda had a house in the area? That's just sick, and shows team/corporate involvement in the abusive environment.

Whitecaps had an "ombudsman" investigate the allegations in 2008, but none of the affected players were interviewed at the time? Nuts.

Coastal FC, where Birarda continued coaching young women, claim that Whitecaps and Canada Soccer never told them about the reasons for dismissal from his previous positions? Wow! But the Whitecaps team manager Diane Voice had warned Coastal FC before they hired Birarda, and they ignored her!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As an adult this sickens me.

As a parent this infurates me.

As a coach of teenage girls this saddens me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So VCWC keeps saying it didn't do anything because an investigating obudsman didn't made any recommendations.

CBC reporter did some digging.

Turns out the ombusdman didn't make any recommendations because she was hired to investigate & provide facts - not to provide recommendations.

This keeps getting sleezier & sleezier.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In nicer news for the league

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In nicer news for the league

I’m actually not sure this is good news. Remember the articles we all sloughed off saying MLS is essentially a Ponzi scheme, addicted to the expansion fees? I’m starting to think there is some truth in that. MLS can’t resist any ownership group with a stadium render and the money for the expansion fee. Is that much expansion good, especially when a fair number of teams really aren’t that successful in their markets?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I’m actually not sure this is good news. Remember the articles we all sloughed off saying MLS is essentially a Ponzi scheme, addicted to the expansion fees? I’m starting to think there is some truth in that. MLS can’t resist any ownership group with a stadium render and the money for the expansion fee. Is that much expansion good, especially when a fair number of teams really aren’t that successful in their markets?
    But because of the structure of the league, when most teams are successful, they all are (in a weird way).

Besides, once they went past 20 teams, they basically had to keep pushing toward 36 - 40 to restore balance. Either MLS 1 & 2 with pro-rel, or Eastern and Western conf. that basically function as separate leagues, with the winners playing for the Cup.

They can't stay at 28 teams with an imbalanced schedule indefinitely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

30 teams, 5 divisions of 6 teams. You play your division twice, and everyone else once. Top 3 in each division go to the playoffs except one (or you add one more team, and go 16). Only way this works out schedule wise.

TFC
    Montreal
    NY Red Bulls
    NYCFC
    New England
    Philadelphia

Colorado
    Sporting KC
    St.Louis
    Chicago
    Nashville
    Minnesota

Atlanta
    Orlando
    Miami
    DC United
    Columbus
    Cincinnati

Auston
    Dallas
    Houston
    RSL
    Phoenix?
    Sacramento

LAFC
    LA Galaxy
    Seattle
    Vancouver
    Portland
    San Jose

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It just seems to be too many teams for me. Does this mean pro/rel is coming soon?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They will set it up NBA Style:

EASTERN CONFERENCE
    Atlantic Division: NER, NYRB, NYCFC, Philadelphia, DCU
    Central Division: Montreal, Toronto, Columbus, Cincinnati, Chicago
    Southeast Division: Miami, Orlando, Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte/Raleigh/St Louis

WESTERN CONFERENCE
    Northwest Division: Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, RSL, Colorado
    Pacific Division: Sacramento, San Jose, LAG, LAFC, Phoenix/St Louis
    Southwest Division: MinnU, SKC, Dallas, Houston, Austin

Notice this doesn't leave enough room for one of the favoured clubs. I'm betting that 30 is a placeholder and that they'll announce expansion to 32 clubs just before the 30th club is picked.
    Last edited by Initial B; 04-19-2019 at 08:17 AM.