Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The purpose of a couple of TelCo's owning sports teams in Canada's largest market is all about defending their position in content distribution. Be that content distribution be through cable, internet, or any other medium. They are scared shitless of a day someone like google plows their way into Canada and starts to more directly compete with their cable tv offerings. Sports / live content is one of the last reasons people continue to pay for cable. So the strategy is: get front row access to the league offices, have the right relationships with the right people, and when it comes time to draw up the TV contracts for content distribution for Canada slant things in your direction as hard as you possibly can.

How much they are willing to sink into in this strategy I have no idea. They could be thinking of sustaining losses (in the name of the broader business), breaking even, or demanding some level of profit.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to salaries, it's crazy that Bono makes more than Stefan Frei.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Better agent or maybe just timing on the contract - Frei being a free agent would be kinda interesting as he along with Robles & Hamid are the only consistently good keepers in this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ll give them a pass on this one. Before the recent sustained slump he really looked like he was headed for big things.

I like his game say more than Frei’s, although I’d consider penalties and distribution as always being areas in need of improvement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the time of the contract you could justify that much. Now it looks silly though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    At the time of the contract you could justify that much. Now it looks silly though.
    Crepeau for the Whitecaps looks good. At only $90k that is good value. I’d punt Bono (if anyone will take him) and sign Crepeau up at $150k.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Better agent or maybe just timing on the contract - Frei being a free agent would be kinda interesting as he along with Robles & Hamid are the only consistently good keepers in this league.
    Good performance + domestic + cup win + USMNT look = bigger salary.

Actually kind of a curse for him due to increased expectations and having to take a salary cut the next place he plays, probably.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Crepeau for the Whitecaps looks good. At only $90k that is good value. I’d punt Bono (if anyone will take him) and sign Crepeau up at $150k.
    If only it were that simple. I don't know how we get out from under Bono's contract without a buyout or a sucker for a trade partner.
    Last edited by portu; 06-13-2019 at 10:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you actually look at the $/point stats, we actually aren’t that far off some teams. The contributing factor is just big contracts for DP. Even the Galaxy is on the lowest 1/3rd of the list because of the huge Zlatan contract.

Not really a good way to estimate the quality of the team, especially when $6 million of that has barely played yet again this season.

They’ve also corrected Zardes’ numbers, which don’t seem quite as bad at $1.5 million, especially after his production last season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    If only it were that simple. I don't know how we get out from under Bono's contract without a buyout or a sucker for a trade partner.
    Hopefully it isn’t a long term deal. If anyone has been watching York9 Nathan Ingham who I think was part of TFC2 would be a really good backup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Omar Browne at 70K and Richie Laryea at 57K the best signings.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't be the only one who thinks that's shit am I?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the logo but the overall colour scheme smells of something they will ditch in short order

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Miami people I follow say that the Pink & black is a very very big Miami thing & will likely stay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was in Miami last year, and that towel just screams South Beach style. I see it being pretty popular there.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC Pravda - video edition

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So.....the Argo's advertising that they have $5 beers at every home game and $3 hot dogs. WTF?!?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BakaGaijin View Post
    So.....the Argo's advertising that they have $5 beers at every home game and $3 hot dogs. WTF?!?
    Just another coffin nail because it won't matter.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty good deal on the surface, but then you have to watch the Argos instead of TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty good deal on the surface, but then you have to watch the Argos instead of TFC.
    I was thinking more along the lines of how hosed we get on pricing at TFC matches....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you'd need those $5 beers in order to get through an Argos game.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking more along the lines of how hosed we get on pricing at TFC matches....
    The whole Argos roster costs less than 1 Jozy.

I think "value for money" includes what's on the field. Cheap concessions but a budget product don't necessarily make for a better value proposition.

Anyway, earlier this year you could get a deal on cheap Argos tickets for $17. Are the Argo tickets a "better value?" I don't think so.

That's not to say we aren't overcharged at TFC games. We are.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 06-21-2019 at 08:33 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

exactly, Spurs new multi million pound stadium charges less for beer than what we pay at BMO.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The cheap concessions idea is a hard sell to a company run by people who put a price on every % of their product.

The Rogers cable mentality runs deep in this company. (I was schocked to see the words "unlimited data" & "Rogers" in the same sentence this week - Ted must be spinning in his grave)

That, and the city has to get its cut.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    exactly, Spurs new multi million pound stadium charges less for beer than what we pay at BMO.
    We should keep in mind MLSE is a trustee for the city in running BMO field (IIRC).

That means they have to manage the stadium in the city’s best interest, assuming they (the city) get a cut of ticketing fees and concessions.

For TFC, where we have fans anyway, it’s hard to argue cutting concessions benefits the city. For the Argos, it might benefit both the franchise and the city in terms of revenue.

Now that said, I the perspective we never seem to get anything outside of disaster prevention / response from this team. You could even argue the whole reason we had Gio / Bradley / Altidore was because they totally screwed up for the first 8 years. They needed to build up goodwill after roundly reaching into people’s wallets for over half a decade and offering substantially nothing in terms of on-field product.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

Now that said, I the perspective we never seem to get anything outside of disaster prevention / response from this team. You could even argue the whole reason we had Gio / Bradley / Altidore was because they totally screwed up for the first 8 years. They needed to build up goodwill after roundly reaching into people’s wallets for over half a decade and offering substantially nothing in terms of on-field product.
    To be fair, the change in ownership from Teachers to two media giants has changed priorities. Teachers was about maximizing revenue from the teams themselves, which generally meant that winning was a lower priority. For the media companies, they need playoffs to fill content so it's much more important to have a decent run of winning. So Gio / Bradley / Altidore reflects that new priority as much as a need to rebuild the fanbase. The vision is much more long-term too, they are looking at building media brands.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 06-21-2019 at 09:33 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    We should keep in mind MLSE is a trustee for the city in running BMO field (IIRC).

That means they have to manage the stadium in the city’s best interest, assuming they (the city) get a cut of ticketing fees and concessions.

For TFC, where we have fans anyway, it’s hard to argue cutting concessions benefits the city. For the Argos, it might benefit both the franchise and the city in terms of revenue.

If you go back and look at the reports, I am pretty sure that the deal changed with the city - originally it was for a split of the revenue (although MLSE had to cover losses); now it is for a set rent. While that rent likely includes a percent of revenues, or might include it (normal in a mall for example) mostly the concessions etc will benefit MLSE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The cheap concessions idea is a hard sell to a company run by people who put a price on every % of their product.

The Rogers cable mentality runs deep in this company. (I was schocked to see the words "unlimited data" & "Rogers" in the same sentence this week - Ted must be spinning in his grave)

That, and the city has to get its cut.
    Can’t wait to purchase my egregiously expensive “UNLIMITED*” plan! I’ll put it on my bill next to my $300# “UNLIMITED*” “1.5gbps^” “fibre+” plan!

*not actually unlimited
    +not actually fibre
    #price subject to constantly fluctuate to a higher number without notice; does not include random add-ons you didn’t order but will be added to piss you off while you wait on hold for 27 hours with someone who will just hang up on you anyway
    ^theoretical, in a vacuum lab on a planet in another solar system

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair, the change in ownership from Teachers to two media giants has changed priorities. Teachers was about maximizing revenue from the teams themselves, which generally meant that winning was a lower priority. For the media companies, they need playoffs to fill content so it's much more important to have a decent run of winning. So Gio / Bradley / Altidore reflects that new priority as much as a need to rebuild the fanbase. The vision is much more long-term too, they are looking at building media brands.
    Plus, media corporations buying sports teams is the future. Once they can’t resort to gouging people for cable, owning all the sports teams mean they’re still the only game in town.