Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Canada wins 2-0 against the U.S. at BMO, the first Canadian victory over the U.S. in 34 years. Osorio had an assist on Cavallini's late clincher, Laryea started and did well, and Fraser came off the bench and filled in for Kaye after an injury and he was good too, played a quick pass to Arfield before the first goal.

Bradley was one of the better U.S. players to my eye, but we did catch him and force a turnover leading to the first goal.
    Solid performance. The American commentators on ESPN were continuously complimenting Canada all game for dominating as well as ripping the Americans. Now, we need a win or draw next month in Orlando to qualify for the Semis. If we lose against the US, we'll probably be eliminated on goal difference, because the US plays Cuba in the final group match.

Can't believe we were on a 34-year winless run (17 games). Figured we would've won a couple in that long.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a heck of an exciting game. Much better than I expected even without the result.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highlights for anyone who missed it:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huge win for FIFA Rankings. That should get us in in the top 6 ahead of El Salvador for the hex, at least for now

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Canada wins 2-0 against the U.S. at BMO, the first Canadian victory over the U.S. in 34 years. Osorio had an assist on Cavallini's late clincher, Laryea started and did well, and Fraser came off the bench and filled in for Kaye after an injury and he was good too, played a quick pass to Arfield before the first goal.

Bradley was one of the better U.S. players to my eye, but we did catch him and force a turnover leading to the first goal.
    Fraser surprised me. I thought it would be quite the drop off when Kaye left. Laryea was one of the MOTM for me. I can't agree with Bradley. I thought he was brutal. We pressured him well and caused him to turn the ball over quite a bit. All in all, a great win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Fraser surprised me. I thought it would be quite the drop off when Kaye left. Laryea was one of the MOTM for me. I can't agree with Bradley. I thought he was brutal. We pressured him well and caused him to turn the ball over quite a bit. All in all, a great win.
    Laryea I wasn't too impressed with. Had some moments, including a good run that almost led to a goal, but nothing overall that made him seem to jump out at me. He was lucky not to get a yellow, where he was trying to get in the face of the American, who got angry at him for going down on a tackle and staying down exaggerating an injury. Good thing Borjan and other held him back. I must admit I am getting a bit tired of his going down easy as well, although that might be what is influencing my opinion of him. He needs to develop a consistent shot, feel like once he gets into the box all his work disappears and defenders break him down, knowing he's going to pass. He needs the Endoh eye for goal, it would open up the options for him - shot, dribble, or pass.

Fraser I liked his performance because I didn't really notice him, to me meaning that while there was nothing spectacular, he made no real errors. Just a solid all around performance, which is what is needed for his position. Osorio as well. I feel Osorio plays a more and better defensive game when he plays for Canada, I guess it's because of the presence of other guys like David and Davies take a larger role in the offense. Although maybe that's just because I'm constantly focusing on those two on the offensive end(as well as the commentators) that Oso slips under my radar, but I did notice a few nice interceptions and defensive stops by him.

Granted I did stream this game on my phone, so at times I struggled to notice some things/who they were because my screen was so small. Soccer Canada needs to get these games back on TSN. The OneSoccer app is not going to help grow the sport.
    Last edited by rydermike; 10-16-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, I appreciate the intensity. Too many nice guys on our teams historically that were never bothered enough by losing. Down 3-0 at half time against Honduras in a critical match to qualify for the hex, Kevin McKenna in the half time interview starts talking as if the game is over. We go on to lose 8-1.

Kaye, Laryea, and Cavallini all Play with edge and will do us well in Concacaf. They know how to get under other players skin without completely losing the plot. More importantly, they seem to take losing personally.

I had Laryea as a top 3 performer for Canada easily. He made a guy who just completed a $73 million dollar transfer look completely anonymous and made some good hard runs down the flank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, getting Laryea makes up for losing Kaye. I think Laryea should be a come back player of the year nominee... he’s an all star RB in the making

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The place was loud both in the South and on the west side (couldn't hear the east). Vancouver peeps complaining about the crowd not realising that a 18K crowd in the national stadium makes the CSA more money then 28K in Vancouver.

And the clap was....heartwarming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Telfer with 2 goals tonight. I look forward to seeing him back at tfc next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The place was loud both in the South and on the west side (couldn't hear the east). Vancouver peeps complaining about the crowd not realising that a 18K crowd in the national stadium makes the CSA more money then 28K in Vancouver.

And the clap was....heartwarming.
    The bitching about the attendance from Vancouver is a joke. The game was on Tuesday night after the thanksgiving holiday. People are usually trying to get things in order with their lives and not looking to attend a soccer game. It’s a tough sell even if the opponent is the US.

And really, the players are driving this as much as anything. Nobody wants to travel a few extra thousand KM’s to play on a turf field vs play on a grass field in front of friends and family (since the team has more players with GTA roots than anywhere else).

They’ll get their games I’m sure but that number is always going to be less than optimal until the field turns to grass and we can start to pay for charter flights for our guys to reduce travel fatigue
    Last edited by ag futbol; 10-16-2019 at 10:00 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sacramento team to be announced on Monday - article on MLS about "a big announcement"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a little something to get everyone back into the playoff mood.

The second leg still goes down as the best sporting event I have ever witnessed live

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...?autoplay=true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Bmo sold out for Saturday?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Not yet. Still some non-resale tickets available, including a few in the south end.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Not yet. Still some non-resale tickets available, including a few in the south end.
    Wow! Two years ago there was no way there would be any tickets left unsold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Lots of non resale still available...as Oldtimer said there are more than a few (70?) in the south end. Looks like half of 111 is available for some reason. After that mostly in the upper reaches of the east deck and upper west corners.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JT Red127 View Post
    Lots of non resale still available...as Oldtimer said there are more than a few (70?) in the south end. Looks like half of 111 is available for some reason. After that mostly in the upper reaches of the east deck and upper west corners.
    I think what we're seeing is that many scalpers didn't execute their option to buy playoff tickets. 111 especially has a lot of scalped tickets. I can't say it was a bad "business" decision for them, there has been very little buzz about the team in the media this time around, and despite Rooney, DC isn't the same draw that Montreal is. There may be some buzz if the team does well in the playoffs, but then those will most likely be away games.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Play in game against Philly in 2016 wasn't sold out either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post

The second leg still goes down as the best sporting event I have ever witnessed live

It's being rebroadcast right now on TSN4.

An excellent use of time
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post

OMG yes. And I have seen amazing sporting moments - Lemieux from Gretzky in Hamilton, and the Jays v Atlanta and Philly, the Bruins in 1979 and two Olympics, including Canada in Sochi . Nothing Nothing Nothing comes close to that night of the second leg. Watching it on TSN right now. Fantastic. The suspense. Drama. Hagglund . Cheyrou.

So sad that we don’t get to see two legs any more. What a moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I think what we're seeing is that many scalpers didn't execute their option to buy playoff tickets. 111 especially has a lot of scalped tickets. I can't say it was a bad "business" decision for them, there has been very little buzz about the team in the media this time around, and despite Rooney, DC isn't the same draw that Montreal is. There may be some buzz if the team does well in the playoffs, but then those will most likely be away games.
    Their loss

It’s going to be amazing. Not 2016 amazing. But amazing. We are back. Incredible plot lines. Can we score without Jozy? Can Bradley bounce back fro a disastrous loss? Can Laryea and Oso rebuild mental resources after a historic win? Will I be able to still get into Shoeless at 4???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It's being rebroadcast right now on TSN4.

An excellent use of time
    Hehehehhe

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Athletic has an interview with Bradley. Kloke asked him straight up if he'd sign a TAM deal.

His answer...."Absolutely"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    The Athletic has an interview with Bradley. Kloke asked him straight up if he'd sign a TAM deal.

Wow. I mean I was hopeful, but did not expect him to be so open about it.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

Wow, that’s great to hear. My thought is that they are waiting till the end of the year to finalize it. Remember, if TFC win the MLS Cup, his option year gets automatically renewed (at 6.5 million).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zlatan hints at Napoli move: 'With me, San Paolo would always be full'
    https://www.thescore.com/mls/news/1858155

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yellow card accumulation for the playoffs (https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...s-cup-playoffs)

The Atalanta/NE game is interesting..... assuming that Atlanta goes on to the next round. Any yellow card given to Martinez, LGP, or larentowicz will mean that they are suspended for the conference finals