Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Damn, Laryea only makes 56 k. That must be a bit tight living downtown Toronto... hopefully they pay for his housing. He is deserving of a big raise though that's for sure
    He's 24 and from Toronto, he could be living at home with his parents

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    He's 24 and from Toronto, he could be living at home with his parents

Heck, in this town, he could be 35 and still living at home with his parents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget that's 75k CAD. Now you're not living lavishly with 6 sports cars with that wage but even in Toronto 75,000 is not doing all that poorly, you certainly would only be living at home by choice on that money. And it assumes the club doesn't help with housing at all which I actually don't know, are they allowed do that beyond the cap hit? I know MLSE owns a lot of real estate so I wonder if they give sweetheart rent deals to some of their lesser paid players

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Heck, in this town, he could be 35 and still living at home with his parents.
    Ah, beat me to it, lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Don't forget that's 75k CAD. Now you're not living lavishly with 6 sports cars with that wage but even in Toronto 75,000 is not doing all that poorly, you certainly would only be living at home by choice on that money. And it assumes the club doesn't help with housing at all which I actually don't know, are they allowed do that beyond the cap hit? I know MLSE owns a lot of real estate so I wonder if they give sweetheart rent deals to some of their lesser paid players
    My understanding is they are not beyond temp accommodations in support of someone who recently transferred in. But who knows? There has to be some sort of solution here for guys living in expensive markets.

$75k is really not much of a draw for the A-type personalities who usually have what it takes to compete in pro sports. These people have elevated demands vs. the average person. I think the expectation would be to secure a higher paying contract in the near term or know you’ll be moving on to a new career choice shortly. As an extreme example, to paraphrase Santino Quaranta when he retired early from MLS: “this $200k a year is cute but now it’s time to go find a real job that actually pays”

Personally, I think $100k a year should be the min. Or something like $75k plus car and accommodation. The last thing I want is someone on the team spending their energy getting to practice on the bus or commuting from far away to save a few bucks. We should take that out of the equation and allow them to put as much of their effort on the field as possible.

But I don’t mean to sound overly negative. We’re far ahead of where we used to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I'm wondering if the Bono & Zav deals done early 2018 were 2 year or 3 year. If they were 3, Bez wasn't thinking straight. You can not guarantee young players with career years 300K for 3 years - that's just not smart.
    They're almost definitely 2+1 deals as most multi-year MLS contracts are (for non-DP players). So we should be able to decline Zavaleta's option. I'm less sure what to do about Bono.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    They're almost definitely 2+1 deals as most multi-year MLS contracts are (for non-DP players). So we should be able to decline Zavaleta's option. I'm less sure what to do about Bono.
    Bono, I could see them picking up the option an trading him. Despite his faults, he is a serviceable MLS keeper, and as an American, could definitely be appealing to teams in the league in need of an upgrade. His salary is too high for a second-choice keeper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono, I could see them picking up the option an trading him. Despite his faults, he is a serviceable MLS keeper, and as an American, could definitely be appealing to teams in the league in need of an upgrade. His salary is too high for a second-choice keeper.
    its so funny, the guys a good shot blocker but for the life of him he cannot distribute the ball to his own team. i counted 3 kicks he shot either out of bounds or right to chicago

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't suppose anyone saw the end of the LAG-VAN match, but LA coughed up a breakaway winner deep in stoppage time. It brought me joy to see Zlatan's pissed-off face after that went in - he looked like he was absolutely seething inside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I don't suppose anyone saw the end of the LAG-VAN match, but LA coughed up a breakaway winner deep in stoppage time. It brought me joy to see Zlatan's pissed-off face after that went in - he looked like he was absolutely seething inside.
    That was an entertaining match. LA is as bad defensively as they are good on attack. First round exit sounds about right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Oh, I saw the match...

That 4-3 result cost me a potential $1400; I had Minnesota and LAFC to tie, Salt Lake to win, Sounders to win, Galaxy and Vancouver to tie, and Man U and Arsenal to tie today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correction: That match DID cost me $1400. I hate Vancouver, I hate the LA Galaxy even more.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So there are reports Monterrey want Alymeda from SJE and will trigger a $4 million clause to get him after Sunday, no matter whether SJE get into the playoffs or not.

Except

there is no such clause.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schweinsteiger retires

Rumours Klinsmann was offered the Fire job & turned it down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy Altidore pulls out of the USA squad due to the injury from last game. Bad news, but maybe good news? He won't injure it further it by playing and now has a couple weeks to heal before the playoffs, but of course it could be more serious and he's out of the playoffs anyways

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy Altidore pulls out of the USA squad due to the injury from last game. Bad news, but maybe good news? He won't injure it further it by playing and now has a couple weeks to heal before the playoffs, but of course it could be more serious and he's out of the playoffs anyways
    I am sure this will trigger comments but it was a cynical/reckless/desperate (whatever you want to call it) tackle by no 4. Mensah, watch the replay he drags hits rear foot into Jozy's planted foot. If it were reversed VAR probably would have given our 14th penalty of the year.

Edit- btw it was a great shot block but no regard for the follow through and after impact, slid right through Jozy
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 10-09-2019 at 06:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    I am sure this will trigger comments but it was a cynical/reckless/desperate (whatever you want to call it) tackle by no 4. Mensah, watch the replay he drags hits rear foot into Jozy's planted foot. If it were reversed VAR probably would have given our 14th penalty of the year.
    Totally agree. It was a terrible challenge and warranted review or a card. Here' hoping Jozy can come in and help us. We do have the benefit of being at home too so if he were to miss the first playoff game (assuming we have better odds of winning with him at home than away), he gets another few days to rest before NYCFC.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting that the Chicago Fire are giving all their Day One SSH free seasons tickets next year. Now that's only 68 people, and Day One is 1997, but it's a nice thing to see them doing this.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Interesting that the Chicago Fire are giving all their Day One SSH free seasons tickets next year. Now that's only 68 people, and Day One is 1997, but it's a nice thing to see them doing this.
    I hope this market bounces back, too big of one to neglect.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    I hope this market bounces back, too big of one to neglect.
    Playing in the city at Soldier Field couldn't hurt. Road trips should be a lot easier for the visiting fans.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    Playing in the city at Soldier Field couldn't hurt. Road trips should be a lot easier for the visiting fans.
    Looking forward to it next year

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Top 10 coaches available for teams replacing their coaches.

I wouldn't want any of them.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...-mls-vacancies

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Top 10 coaches available for teams replacing their coaches.

I wouldn't want any of them.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...-mls-vacancies
    Me neither really but judging by our FO and their connections, I wouldn't be surprised to see Wolyniec eventually.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wolyniec is the "in case of us being crap, break glass" hammer for NYRB.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea how Rudi Garcia wound up on that list, but as someone who pays a bit of attention to Marseille: (i) there is no way Garcia is coming to MLS, his pedigree is way too strong, and (ii) I would take him in a flash, if by some crazy circumstance point (i) isn’t true.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any updates on Jozy's injury? TFC's been awfully quiet on the subject, which i'm not sure is a good or bad thing. Our playoff hopes hinge on him being fit, so it hard to get excited without knowing anything? Even the nature of the injury...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't sound serious. Both jozy himself and Vanney said they expect him to be ready for playoffs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pozuelo is one of the three finalists up for MLS Newcomer of the Year award. The other two finalists are Carles Gil (NE Revs) and Heber (NYCFC)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pozuelo is one of the three finalists up for MLS Newcomer of the Year award. The other two finalists are Carles Gil (NE Revs) and Heber (NYCFC)
    He won't win but nice for him to get some recognition. Probably would've had a better shot had Jozy been healthier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada wins 2-0 against the U.S. at BMO, the first Canadian victory over the U.S. in 34 years. Osorio had an assist on Cavallini's late clincher, Laryea started and did well, and Fraser came off the bench and filled in for Kaye after an injury and he was good too, played a quick pass to Arfield before the first goal.

Bradley was one of the better U.S. players to my eye, but we did catch him and force a turnover leading to the first goal.