Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Again, not an island.
    It's called satire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wopchop View Post
    If you put $40 down on this result next week, you could win $10k.
    I'm actually going to do this.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The players played without passion or energy.

Vanney was out-coached.

It's the return of "that was so TFC."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Horror show.
    TFC are not ready for any real games yet.
    And what's the point of having 6 wingers when no one is in the middle when the ball is crossed in?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsYNWA View Post
    What are you going to give me if GIO was below averarge PK taker?
    Why do you care? I remember him scoring every penalty for several months, did you stop watching at that time....you see, stats and facts, not inference and supposition, are needed to support an argument....so cool it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easily one of our worst ever games

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I wonder. Maybe Giovinco didn’t go for the money.
    Of course the money played a big part, but it likely wasn't the only thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Most embarrassing performance of all time?

That was just painful to watch. We may have underestimated the opponent tonight, but there is no excuse for such a lacklustre effort considering the starters that were in the lineup.

I sincerely hope this was not a sign of things to come.
    It might be.

I think Vanney's trick is done. He's a system organizer; but he's not a good manager. Without players that dominate their opposite number we're terribly disorganized. Most of these guys have been training together now for three years, and they looked fucking dreadful.

And Ali Curtis was loathed in NY... then they won... but that was with Jesse Marsch... and he hated Curtis, who was let go, even though they knew Marsch was eyeing Europe. So I'm not sure that wasn't a massive fucking mistake, too.

They've looked at the NYRB being the top farm system and are giving him credit for that, noting we've done little with our system and only Osorio as a full-time first teamer to show for all of it. But that makes a lot of incorrect assumptions, including his role in New York.

The early stink on this one is guys in a boardroom making shitty hiring decisions without real knowledge of the sport.

Back to the good ol' days!

(Ah well. The Treble will live forever).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Last season I repeated talked about the defensive issues being due to Vanney not preparing well.

This is literally a greatest hits of my issues.

Goal in the first 10 minutes of the game. Check
    Goal in the first 5 minutes of the second half. Check
    Second Goal within 5 minutes of a previous Goal. Check.

Nothing has changed this is going to be a long season because the same defensive issues with the way the team is being coached exist. It isn't about injuries or early in the season it is about the formation, the way they are being told to play, the way they are being trained.

Literally 1st game this year is a perfect example of all the issues that existed last year.

The only difference between this year and last year. We don't have the strong offensive pieces. This existed even in last years run in the Champions League. Heck these defensive errors are the reason we lost the Champions League last year.

And they are the reason we will likely be out in the first round. Of course the Vanney train is strong so I'll get shouted down or ignored.. but Vanney is the issue.
    Glad you’re saying it . 100% . This was visible from last year when we were a champion being outplayed and beaten each game . Being a true fan doesn’t mean you accept mediocrity. Bez saw it and good for him . Columbus won’t be worse than us . When do people refuse to accept this chaos . Our Argos president should be just that .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as I blame management for not replacing players Seba, Altidore, VDW and perhaps even Mavinga all deserve blame for causing the shit show that is the current morale of the club.

How fucking hard is it for you to play out your contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    It's called satire
    No, satire is funny. This was people not knowing Panama is not an island. No big whoop. For years I thought Guineau Bissau was near Papau New Guinea.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the amount of effort shown by TFC players tonight, you thought this was just another friendly game.

I get that it's first game of the season, the carpet pitch sucks and CAI is in mid season fitness, but that was absolutely trash.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    His tactics show an underlying issue.
    Playing a 4-3-3 without wingers who can put in a decent cross was a terrible game plan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    With the amount of effort shown by TFC players tonight, you thought this was just another friendly game.

I get that it's first game of the season, the carpet pitch sucks and CAI is in mid season fitness, but that was absolutely trash.
    Perhaps they were told to play at half speed because the club doesn't want to pursue CCL.

Still inexcusable. Fucking embarrassing, that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flabbergasted. Pathetic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know Panama not a island. I own property there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll take the free tickets if anyone offering. Win or lose I always have a great time at bmo field

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, satire is funny. This was people not knowing Panama is not an island. No big whoop. For years I thought Guineau Bissau was near Papau New Guinea.
    I guess i'm not very funny lol god damn island team. I wasn't really thinking about that though so yea you're right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if Terence Boyd's penalty has come down yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got nothing but respect for the diehard fans that travelled down there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess i'm not very funny lol
    It's just non-referential. You can't satirize something unless it's based on something else -- a preconception, a misconception someone has already made in the thread, i.e. someone else saying Island. Maybe I just missed the context or something in the middle of smacking my forehead against my desk while watching this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They've looked at the NYRB being the top farm system and are giving him credit for that, noting we've done little with our system and only Osorio as a full-time first teamer to show for all of it.
    Not even. Osorio has zero connection to TFCA (unless you want to count his brothers playing there).

For a team that wants to suddenly promote its academy, maybe it should try to find ways to put guys like Akinola on the field rather than finding marginal reasons to play guys like Dorsey.

If I'm Hamilton I'm handing in my transfer request. Mark Anthony Kaye basically showed you what your best chance of being a pro is and it isn't by trying to get playing time from this team.

Indeed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Most embarrassing performance of all time?

That was just painful to watch. We may have underestimated the opponent tonight, but there is no excuse for such a lacklustre effort considering the starters that were in the lineup.

I sincerely hope this was not a sign of things to come.
    2013 Voyageurs Cup when TFC lost 6-0 to the cheese eaters. I was so mad that night that I could punch babies
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's just non-referential. You can't satirize something unless it's based on something else -- a preconception, a misconception someone has already made in the thread, i.e. someone else saying Island. Maybe I just missed the context or something in the middle of smacking my forehead against my desk while watching this
    I didn't know there were rules to satire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't know there were rules to satire
    Well... the being funny part is probably one.

Edit: Come to think of it, satirizing 'something' is probably another. Like, if I say Laurent Ciman is tall, that's a statement, not satire. If I say he's statuesque, because he defends like a fucking statue, that would be satire. Not very good satire, but nonetheless...

If I say Panama is an island, that's not satire. If I say I wish Panama was an Island, so we could leave this fucking team stranded there, that would, again, be satire.

I'm probably being a dick right now Defoe, sorry dude. I'm fucking pissed at that performance. It was fucking sad.
    Last edited by jloome; 02-19-2019 at 10:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jasper View Post
    Playing a 4-3-3 without wingers who can put in a decent cross was a terrible game plan.
    The execution of the formation looked really poor.

For one, we didn't seem to pay them any respect defensively as the gaps between the backline and the forwards was huge. 2019 Bradley ain't what he used to be and he looked like a lost cause out there trying to be a one man midfield while whoever else was supposed to be playing off him looked to be a million miles away.

And pretty much everyone attack wise looked awful. Exception being Akinola who maybe had something small to offer and Osorio who looked like he needs some better players around him to look like the 2018 version of himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean Dallas lost in the first round of the Champions League to a team from Panama but they were not blown out like this, this has to be the worst loss by an MLS team to a team from such an inferior league . In CONCACAF it’s the Mexican League followed by the MLS then the Costa Rican League then the Honduran League and then everyone else more or less , so TFC just got clobbered by a team that I would assume most players have day jobs lol! This is an embarrassment to the MLS won’t be surprised if Garber is on the phone to Manning and wondering what the fuck are you guys doing !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know what's really bothered me right now? They had Schaffelburg, the rookie, come out to talk to the media. That, RIGHT THERE, reminds me of 2009 last game of the season versus Red Bulls and sending Sam Cronin out to talk to the media afterwards. This is a total failure of leadership from Michael Bradley and Greg Vanney, right from the planning through the post game. I get the feeling this is going to get worse before it gets better. Someone needs to make a TIFO for next week to show what we think. Something along the lines of an empty south end with a banner saying "We'll show up when you do."

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It might be.

I think Vanney's trick is done. He's a system organizer; but he's not a good manager. Without players that dominate their opposite number we're terribly disorganized. Most of these guys have been training together now for three years, and they looked fucking dreadful.

And Ali Curtis was loathed in NY... then they won... but that was with Jesse Marsch... and he hated Curtis, who was let go, even though they knew Marsch was eyeing Europe. So I'm not sure that wasn't a massive fucking mistake, too.

They've looked at the NYRB being the top farm system and are giving him credit for that, noting we've done little with our system and only Osorio as a full-time first teamer to show for all of it. But that makes a lot of incorrect assumptions, including his role in New York.

The early stink on this one is guys in a boardroom making shitty hiring decisions without real knowledge of the sport.

(Ah well. The Treble will live forever).
    Good points. Plus I'm really not sold on Osorio yet either to play a major role on his own. He scored a lot of great goals last year, but mostly by being in the right place at the right time. That's a great skill, but you need other strong players to create those chances. He's still way too tentative in many situations, especially when he has to think about it. And Osorio wasn't really a "farm" product either. He was only in the TFC Academy for 1/2 a year. He got as much training from SC Toronto and in Uruguay as he did in the TFC Academy.

I also see issues with Vanney's management: he can't turn things around quickly when things aren't going well. I remember all those games in his first season, when TFC would drop points after going up a man. Vanney would often say the right things when interviewed before the game or at half time, but the team wouldn't execute.

Tonight we saw defensive disasters from the first goal. CAI could easily have scored two more goals just in the first half. 1-0 wasn't a bad result to take back to Toronto. They should have battened down the hatches and played way more defensively after the first goal, and the obvious weaknesses. Instead they continued to commit way too many men forward. Now the tournament is pretty well over at 4-0. Does anyone really think we can score 5 in Toronto, with Altidore still not fit? Maybe we can sign DeRo & Guevara to 1-day contracts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

> DeRo & Guevara to 1-day contracts.

As bad as the teams they played on were, both have too much pride to play with that lot.