Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Away Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really hope Portland do it. Not only would it be glorious for them to beat Atlanta in Atlanta, but it would also piss off Seattle fans at the same time. Amazing.
    Away trips: 2014 - Seattle. 2015 - Montreal. 2016 - Montreal x2. Playoffs - NYCFC, Montreal. 2017 - Salt Lake, Philly, Ottawa, Montreal, Chicago, LA, Atlanta. ​Playoffs - NYRB, Columbus. 2018 ​- Monterrey, MX (Tigres) CCL, Montreal, Ottawa, Montreal. 2019 - ​Philly, Montreal, Seattle (MLS Cup final)

RPB Member
    Away Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I haven't been paying attention to the playoffs, but what's with them playing games on a weeknight?
    If I remember correctly, both our games vs Crew last year were weeknights. Plus the Montreal series the season before. So it’s nothing new.
    Away trips: 2014 - Seattle. 2015 - Montreal. 2016 - Montreal x2. Playoffs - NYCFC, Montreal. 2017 - Salt Lake, Philly, Ottawa, Montreal, Chicago, LA, Atlanta. ​Playoffs - NYRB, Columbus. 2018 ​- Monterrey, MX (Tigres) CCL, Montreal, Ottawa, Montreal. 2019 - ​Philly, Montreal, Seattle (MLS Cup final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnelred View Post
    I really hope Portland do it. Not only would it be glorious for them to beat Atlanta in Atlanta, but it would also piss off Seattle fans at the same time. Amazing.
    It would be more glorious for Portland to win on penalty kicks after Josef Martinez misses on the last PK attempt with his cringey hop-skip-and-jump approach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go Timbers!!!
    Go Timbers!!!
    Go Timbers!!!
    Go Timbers!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Team Original Hipster > Second Team All Plastic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know of any pubs/sports bars that will have the final on their big screens?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Does anyone know of any pubs/sports bars that will have the final on their big screens?
    Waking the Red is hosting a viewing party at the Pint, RSVP required:

https://www.wakingthered.com/2018/12...he-red-meet-up
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All you guys cheering for the Timbers... Merritt Paulson will be telling everyone/everyone that Portland is the elite MLS team since 2015 if they win
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    All you guys cheering for the Timbers... Merritt Paulson will be telling everyone/everyone that Portland is the elite MLS team since 2015 if they win
    Atlanta is by far the team most of us would not want to win. Nobody is going to believe that Portland is the elite team, but Atlanta may be thought that way by those who don't want a Canadian team to be considered the best.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlanta bugs us because they did what we thought we should do but failed so spectacularly at (eg walk into the league and win day one)

i dislike the finalists equally, I have seen enough to know that neither is as good as us, and have decided the 2018 MLS playoffs were cancelled.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-06-2018 at 11:27 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Atlanta bugs us because they did what we thought we should do but failed so spectacularly at (eg walk into the league and win day one)

i dislike the finalists equally, I have seen enough to know that neither is as good as us, and have decided the 2018 MLS playoffs were cancelled.
    I usually take this approach as well - however, I really hate how Smug Atlanta are. They need to be humbled.

GO PORTLAND! (but I won't be wearing green)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If only we had been given a real soccer guy instead of condo guy Anselmi in the early days, with MLSE's resources, should have happened.

OTOH, we grew a lot in character supporting a losing and disfunctional team until Lieweke cleaned house.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 12-06-2018 at 11:42 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    If only we had been given a real soccer guy instead of condo guy Anselmi in the early days, with MLSE's resources, should have happened.

OTOH, we grew a lot in character supporting a losing and disfunctional team until Lieweke cleaned house.
    Agreed, how fun would the boards be here when we would try to figure out which new player was playing for us each game.

Pages and pages of starting lineup discussions.

Agreed though, if Portland wins, nobody in our vicinity will care. The ones who will the most is Seattle...and I sort of enjoy that as well.

If Atlanta wins, we won't hear the end of it.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ll be cheering for Atlanta just for the fact how well that city has gotten behind that team with their incredible attendances. From what I’m hearing and reading it looks like the whole city of Atlanta is really going crazy for this team, flags and bumber stickers seem to be everywhere, people and expecially kids are wearing Atlanta United jerseys in schools. TFC were in two back to back MLS Cups but still I felt not enough of our city got behind TFC . Even after TFC won no real celebrations in the streets. However , in Atlanta it seems they are treating this as a big deal just like if their NBA team or NFL team or their MLB team was in a championship game. Here in Toronto TFC’s MLS Cup got just a bit more hype than the Argos and Rock but nothing close to the Jays,Leafs or Raptors if they were in a championship game. However, in Atlanta it’s seems to be a very big deal, therefore go Atlanta I’ll be cheering for them.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's why I can't support Atlanta

From before they started, right from the very first exhibition game, their fans and bloggers have said there is no team as good as them in this league. I had a twitter exchange with 'Dirty South Soccer' (the closest thing to come all you reds) from early February 2017 where they were exclaiming how great a move was in an exhibition game against a PDL team. The move was actually pretty typical of MLS teams. But they were gushing on and on about how great technically their team was. This has not stopped. Every loss is met with incredulity.

The ignorance of the rest of the league has not stopped there. I get that most fans do not know about most of the league beyond their team. Most journos covering Atlanta do not know about the rest of the league. I stopped following the guy from the Atlanta Journal Constitution because he never discussed anybody but Atlanta and also dissed Bradley every time his name came up - like I can see people not liking Bradley as a USMNT player - he dissed him as a player period. Like at least TRY to get involved in the league you are involved in.

The diving. It drives me nuts their diving and whining. And I'm not upset in the old "real men don't dive here in England" way. I'm ticked because these guys try to con refs using CONMEBOL style. Its Neymar stuff. Like at least TRY to act like you are playing in CONCACAF where the guile is less about acting trying to get people yellows and reds and more about trying to wind up your opponent and wind down the clock.

That pitch - find it REALLY hard to support a team playing on plastic.

I prefer my main strikers to play with technique for their goals. Martinez is a tap in guy - works darn hard to get there but he still is the last head/touch in sort of guy. I prefer to watch Seba & Jozy work their magic. Oh, and I can't stand that stutter step penalty kick Martinez takes - should have been banned like it was proposed a few years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like the whole city has gone Atlanta United crazy ,something you can’t say really happened here in Toronto during TFC’s two back to back MLS appearances here in Toronto.http://www.fox5atlanta.com/sports/at...t-the-town-red.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prediction

Atlanta 3-1

It will be all but over by the 35th minute and will ultimately be way more boring then the last 3 games have been. MLS will talk about Atlanta for 9 months but not the game. Within weeks, Martino & Almiron are gone. Atlanta gets Scheletto as their new coach & the hangover in Atlanta lasts into July of next year.

Although somebody in the UK started a "Alan Pardew to Atlanta" rumour - the giggles would be amazing.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 12-08-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just wondering if Atlanta had the same issue as we had the previous 2 years when season ticket holders could not have there own seats for the finals?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are empty seats in the high end price zones so I'd say that is likely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Prediction

Atlanta 3-1

It will be all but over by the 35th minute and will ultimately be way more boring then the last 3 games have been. MLS will talk about Atlanta for 9 months but not the game. Within weeks, Martino & Almiron are gone. Atlanta gets Scheletto as their new coach & the hangover in Atlanta lasts into July of next year.

Although somebody in the UK started a "Alan Pardew to Atlanta" rumour - the giggles would be amazing.
    would he bring JC with him.

writing at the 35 Th minute.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And...goodnight.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Done and done on a goal being handed to them by Portland being sloppy.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a positive note in 30 mins this season is officially over and the countdown to 2019 begins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    On a positive note in 30 mins this season is officially over and the countdown to 2019 begins
    What’s so positive about that what’s your point?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well done Atlanta well deserved and what incredible fans the best in MLS by a mile what incredible fan support no other city in the MLS comes even close I’m sorry!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its been a long time since we had a game - and most of the highlights came from team's from the East. Looking forward to talking about us again.

Atlanta has built something different down there supporter wise. Very much urban black Southern culture. Good to see. They get the gold star next year. But they'll have to do it without their coach and their best player. I still think they struggle until the summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Its been a long time since we had a game - and most of the highlights came from team's from the East. Looking forward to talking about us again.

Atlanta has built something different down there supporter wise. Very much urban black Southern culture. Good to see. They get the gold star next year. But they'll have to do it without their coach and their best player. I still think they struggle until the summer.
    If they get Schelotto as their coach they ain’t going to struggle my friend I’ll guarantee it!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They benefitted from a lot of extra allocation as a new team (something that wasn't true when TFC started) and will have to shed players next year. Just like with TFC losing Beitashour, it will affect the team, and I actually expect them to lose several players.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Final Tally of 2017 TFC vs 2018 Atlanta......I know some hate this comparison stuff, but frankly every time I hear this “greatest team/fans” talk with Atlanta it makes me think a little bit of recency bias is happening here.....

69 points for both, Atlanta with 79 goals for and 46 against for the year including playoffs; TFC was 79 goals for and 39 against; both great seasons but anyone who says Atlanta was the greatest single season team over Toronto which included winning the Shield, a domestic Cup, and a run to the CONCACAF CL Finals only to lose on PK....never mind a 2016 MLS Cup Finals which was also lost on PKs after dominating that game too.....it’s not even close to me as to who has achieved more in a two year span —— let’s see how they do without Martino, Almirón, and if they make a lengthy CCL run, what that does to their early season form next year......frankly health has as much to do with it as anything; look at Almirón, Martínez, Gressels minutes played as opposed to most DPs on other teams.....

Again, Congrats to Atlanta, great teams both, but Atlanta fans have frankly been spoiled with this whole thing - show me 8 years of losing and missing playoffs and then see how many people show up to soccer in Atlanta — the Jays drew tons of people in 2015/2016 when they were winning — cheering for winning is easy; two years later the Jays sold 800,000 less tickets this year; the biggest attendance drop across all of MLB.....bandwagons filling up when winning is easy; sticking it out when you suck for years on end is much more difficult when your fan base has actually been tested, Atlanta’s has not been yet, only time will tell if they will stick it out if their team bottoms out at some point in the future....the city of Atlanta does not have a strong history of supporting losing teams....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if i here the word atmosphere one more time