Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is something about cup/playoff soccer that just brings out the best in MLS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meanwhile, over in the Alternate Universe department.

Kashima Antlers of Japan play Perspolis of Iran in the second leg Saturday of the AFC Final.

Kashima won 2-0 in first leg.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eXh5SezRePI

We would have played the winner of this final in the UAE.

The winner of that AFC-Concacaf game gets Real Madrid.

What might have been.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-09-2018 at 06:39 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Still hurts....shhhhh

Side note, sounds like I need to watch this game. Reading about it has been phenomenal to see the reactions. Good luck to Portland!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Meanwhile, over in the Alternate Universe department.

Kashima Antlers of Japan play Perspolis of Iran in the second leg Saturday of the AFC Final.

Kashima won 2-0 in first leg.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eXh5SezRePI

We would have played the winner of this final in the UAE.

The winner of that AFC-Concacaf game gets Real Madrid.

What might have been.
    I can't bear to follow that. That wound is still too fresh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
    ^ Still hurts....shhhhh

Side note, sounds like I need to watch this game. Reading about it has been phenomenal to see the reactions. Good luck to Portland!
    You should. Just the extra time alone was end to end and more entertaining than some teams full 90.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting footnote to the AFC Final. Perspolis have an ex TFC Academy player, Adam Hemati. I can’t tell if he plays much, all the websites with Iranian stats are in Persian and don’t seem to translate properly. I wonder if this is a guy we should be interested in bringing home.

http://www.ryersonrams.ca/ViewArticl...CLID=211658410
    Last edited by ensco; 11-09-2018 at 07:23 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While we are at it, on the other side of the draw, tomorrow the greatest of all possible Copa Libertadores finals begins

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ntinian-rivals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Interesting footnote to the AFC Final. Perspolis have an ex TFC Academy player, Adam Hemati. I can’t tell if he plays much, all the websites with Iranian stats are in Persian and don’t seem to translate properly. I wonder if this is a guy we should be interested in bringing home.

http://www.ryersonrams.ca/ViewArticl...CLID=211658410
    Hasn't played very much. 116 minutes total.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    Hasn't played very much. 116 minutes total.
    That may be, but he is in the starting XI.

https://twitter.com/theafccl/status/...035873792?s=21

So that makes Hemati, Jonathan Osorio and Ashtone Morgan the only three Canadians to ever start in a Champions League final anywhere.

Kind of unreal we have never heard of the guy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was an insane game in KC - they easily could have blown a 3-1 lead in the second half at home which should never happen for a team as good defensively as KC normally are.....crazy second half....

Go Clbs and NYCFC.....my hunch is the former will pull it off, but the latter will get blown out in Atl.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dumb question, but why did the POR/SEA game need PK's to determine a winner?

POR 2-1 home
    SEA 3-2 home

4-4 aggregate.

Shouldn't POR have moved on by having scored 2 vs SEA 1 away goals, or is that no longer a thing in MLS?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Dumb question, but why did the POR/SEA game need PK's to determine a winner?

POR 2-1 home
    SEA 3-2 home

4-4 aggregate.

Shouldn't POR have moved on by having scored 2 vs SEA 1 away goals, or is that no longer a thing in MLS?
    No away goals rule in Extra time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aha - I didn't know it was 3-3 agg at the end of regulation. Sounds like that would have been a good game to watch.

I guess for them, might have been a similar feel and emotion as our TOR/MTL playoff series 2 years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a Atl fan but they are clearly a level above NYCFC.

I still must say none of these teams look as good as TFC at their peak. Let’s hope we return to our heights of last year in 2019

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Not a Atl fan but they are clearly a level above NYCFC.

I still must say none of these teams look as good as TFC at their peak. Let’s hope we return to our heights of last year in 2019
    That's what exactly I was thinking when watching today's games.

I feel like healthy TFC team can beat this Atlanta team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nyrb with an early goal and the aggregate is now tied. They look strong and are pressuring for another goal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the final will either be in Jersey or Atlanta.

NYRB with home advantage vs. Atlanta will make a difference. I can see Atlanta going out and trying to win it in the first 20 minutes of the 180 & NYRB slowly clawing their way back in.

Out west, SKC looks solid and might squeek a one off game against either East team. I called Portland to win it all but I can't see them getting by SKC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm torn, but I think I want Atlanta to beat the Red Bulls in the Conference Final. That way, neither team can claim the title of best ever from TFC. If Tata and Almiron leave in the off-season, hopefully an MLS Cup will sustain them through the crash the following year. Regardless of how insufferably entitled their fanbase seems, I do want to see their franchise (and all of MLS) succeed long-term. But I think my ideal outcome would be for Sporting Fit to prevail in the final.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    That's what exactly I was thinking when watching today's games.

I feel like healthy TFC team can beat this Atlanta team.
    agreed, these teams do not have the quality we do.

Thank god we have TFC. way more exciting football

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the playoff games have been exciting so far. I have enjoyed all the games I have seen.

This international break kills the playoff momentum. It would be nice if mls would adjust the schedule so the break comes right before the final. This would give an extra week before the final to build hype and allow supporters more time to make travel plans.

I also don’t want either of the East teams to win and would prefer Portland to win the cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watch the games if you want to watch , to say TFC is better or worse than who is left in the playoffs, get over it TFC did not even qualify for the playoffs with that disastrous of a season that was. In terms of who had the greatest season TFC of last season or the Red Bulls if they were to win MLS Cup , who cares just enjoy the memories and how we all felt winning that MLS Cup at home expecially after the heartbreak of losing on penalties in 2016. In the end TFC won it all in 2017 and that’s all that matters , just enjoy watching these playoffs in 2018 as a neautral if you want no need to compare , TFC won it all in 2017 and that’s all that matters , what’s comparing going to solve , nothing really . Whoever wins it this year will be champions just like TFC was and no one will be thinking after they win if they were a better team than TFC when TFC won it last year all that will matter to the fans and the team that wins is that they won and for them it will feel just as good as it felt for TFC and their fans .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tip my hat to Columbus and Berhalter. That series was a coin flip, the final score flatters NYRB. Columbus do a great job of putting themselves in a good position every year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both teams Atlanta and the Red Bulls are unlikeable and full of divers complainers and whiners. Where would Atlanta be without there automatic PK goal they get every home game. The Diving the faking these are professional athletes. But the arrogance and Entitlement from both teams has left a sour taste in my mouth. The rolling around by Atlanta in the second half was disgusting. It's not a good look on the league that either of these teams will be in the finals. The league never allows things to just play out there always has to push a team like Atlanta and there "narrative" why do they get an automatic PK almost every game and refs moving the ball 6 yards closer to the goal on free kicks? Are they marketed now as the New LA Galaxy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    I think the playoff games have been exciting so far. I have enjoyed all the games I have seen.

This international break kills the playoff momentum. It would be nice if mls would adjust the schedule so the break comes right before the final. This would give an extra week before the final to build hype and allow supporters more time to make travel plans.

I also don’t want either of the East teams to win and would prefer Portland to win the cup.
    I agree on all aspects! I'm rooting for Portland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really enjoyed all these 2nd legs. MLS playoffs are anything but boring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very weak goals 2 and 3 in NYRB Columbus game
    kind reminded me of some of Bono's questionable goals this year

would have really sucked for the league to have columbus vs atlanta

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by matteo30 View Post
    Both teams Atlanta and the Red Bulls are unlikeable and full of divers complainers and whiners. Where would Atlanta be without there automatic PK goal they get every home game. The Diving the faking these are professional athletes. But the arrogance and Entitlement from both teams has left a sour taste in my mouth. The rolling around by Atlanta in the second half was disgusting. It's not a good look on the league that either of these teams will be in the finals. The league never allows things to just play out there always has to push a team like Atlanta and there "narrative" why do they get an automatic PK almost every game and refs moving the ball 6 yards closer to the goal on free kicks? Are they marketed now as the New LA Galaxy.
    why did TFC go into almost every game with about a 25% lower win probability due to red cards, injuries, travel schedule, questionable referering calls, qustions VAR decisions scheduling campeones cup with 2 days rest before an away game when we are in a race to get into the playoffs

it is scripted this way for 2018. who knows why??
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 11-12-2018 at 05:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I agree on all aspects! I'm rooting for Portland.

After seeing what is left I am rooting for Portland as well. Especially considering that is the only way that Redbulls will not qualify for Champions League.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    After seeing what is left I am rooting for Portland as well. Especially considering that is the only way that Redbulls will not qualify for Champions League.
    I am too.
    But for the one and only reason that they are the most likeable team from what's left... not more, not less.