Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Consistent underachievers? Dallas

Never quite grasped the Holy Grail? NYRB & NER

Hard to call us underachievers when we have won stuff that 3 teams that have been around since 1996 have not.

To me, there are 3 teams in this league with more achievements then us.

LAG

DCU

Houston/SJE (the franchise that moved)

There is a big pack below that which includes us of teams with 1-2 good seasons - Fire, SKC, Seattle, Portland, Columbus, Colorado, RSL.

The rest? Either newbies who havn't gotten there or constant underachievers. (Half the league at this point)

(I'm going to ignore the spending on roster canard - its a cap league - your success is dependent upon what you do with those beyond your DP's)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the quarter finals starting today

Columbus vs. NYRB

NYRB has been solid all season (thus the supporters shield). After Marsch left, they added a subtle hint of pragmatism to their press. Going to be intersting to see how that works against a team that likes to take the ball out wide and cross it in. CBus defence is so so but their keeper is the best in the East this season. This should be really close but I'm thinking NYRB pulls it out.

NYC vs. Atlanta

NYC looked absolutely horrid - until they trashed Philly for 2 games in a row. Atlanta, without Almiron, can't get the ball to Martinez. Two teams with good offences and so so defences. IF NYC's DM's show up (something they only did post Vierra vs. Philly), then Atlanta is in trouble. I think they might just do this one.

Seattle vs. Portland

Portland rode a decision to rest its players the Sunday before into Dallas and took advantage of a team who's confidence was heading off a cliff. Seattle - they are the complete opposite. This is a derby series - the first since us vs. Montreal in 2016. All the usual understandings of how things should go are out the window. I think Portland outcoaches and out hustles Seattle - Frei will make 1 mistake and that will be enough.

SKC vs. RSL

RSL enjoyed their week off and then went into LAFC and pulled off a minor upset. SKC - quitely building one of the best season's they have ever had. SKC will win this and it won't be close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking forward to the 10 hours of soccer

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice play CLBS!

Lets just say my list of teams I don’t what to see win includes - NYRB (no double, points record means less with no Cup), Atlanta (simply because they are so damned spoiled), Seattle (2 MLS Cups and three straight appearances makes our failure look worse)....apparently I am petty, and only view the playoffs through the eyes of a TFC fan....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Higuain - what a player. I’d love to see Columbus win this thing - it would make me believe in the soccer gods.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Higuain - what a player. I’d love to see Columbus win this thing - it would make me believe in the soccer gods.
    I agree on all fronts.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first half was pretty boring but Higuian changed everything. That save by Robles and then that final save by Steffan.

Oh, and Berhalter outcoaches the other team....again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    Nice play CLBS!

Lets just say my list of teams I don’t what to see win includes - NYRB (no double, points record means less with no Cup), Atlanta (simply because they are so damned spoiled), Seattle (2 MLS Cups and three straight appearances makes our failure look worse)....apparently I am petty, and only view the playoffs through the eyes of a TFC fan....
    Yeah I think Columbus winning it is most inoffensive to me. Perhaps Portland too, not a fan of Vermes and RSL just doesn't do it for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Yeah I think Columbus winning it is most inoffensive to me. Perhaps Portland too, not a fan of Vermes and RSL just doesn't do it for me.
    RYRB fans pissed, check out their message board. shield means nothing to them today.

I like Petke, he is a loose cannon, very entertaining character. you never know when he is going to explode in an interview

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My goodness Seattle is good.....the stat that shows Roldan basically played every minute of the 34 game season kind of goes to show how being healthy can make such a huge difference - Altanta without Almiron is a very different team (especially offensively), kind of like us without a Vasquez or Altidore for most of the year....

Yay Timbers x 2!
    Last edited by tfcfans; 11-04-2018 at 06:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portland scores. We have a match.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of health and good/bad luck - there goes another key starter for Seattle - Chad Marshall gone...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jealous Seattle managed to get Ruidiaz. I remember seemingly every week there'd be a highlight of his when I'd peak over at the LigaMX subreddit during CCL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So who is better Vasquez or Higuain it’s pretty even in my books.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almiron with a lucky bounce on the goal for Atlanta...

Oops spoke too soon. The goal was reviewed and deemed offside on the preliminary touch.
    Last edited by benito; 11-04-2018 at 08:54 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of health and good/bad luck - there goes another key starter for Seattle - Chad Marshall gone...
    If that's an ACL, his career might be over.

On another note, Gonzalez Perez for Atlanta is such trash.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 11-04-2018 at 08:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steffan with his best Neuer impression. Seriously that charge out 30 yards to break up the play was crazy. Columbus so far is looking as my favorite for the east with that performance.

NYCFC Atlanta game was dirty. I can't think of many more games that were dirtier than that. Surprised no one got a red. Ugly ugly ugly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    Almiron with a lucky bounce on the goal for Atlanta...

Oops spoke too soon. The goal was reviewed and deemed offside on the preliminary touch.
    Even with the replay I didn't see anything wrong with that play. That goal should have counted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magmadragon View Post
    Steffan with his best Neuer impression. Seriously that charge out 30 yards to break up the play was crazy. Columbus so far is looking as my favorite for the east with that performance.

NYCFC Atlanta game was dirty. I can't think of many more games that were dirtier than that. Surprised no one got a red. Ugly ugly ugly.
    Agreed, if it wasn’t a foul it was a dive !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magmadragon View Post
    Even with the replay I didn't see anything wrong with that play. That goal should have counted.
    Corner kick taken by Almiron to a guy 5 yards away who just touches the ball...when he touches it, Almiron is offside. Almiron goes back for the ball from an offside position. Pretty smart play by NYC actually.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice play CLBS!

What's in a name?

Seconded, btw. ^^

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think they'll win the tie bit I've been impressed with RSL so far. The lead up to that goal last night was something else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Headline on MLS website reads: “Chad Marshall undergoes knee surgery, will likely miss Leg 2 vs. Portland“

“Likely”... like death and taxes.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Timbers win the TIFO war vs Seattle

https://twitter.com/TimbersFC/status...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my god, Blanco after he seemingly had won the tie for Portland with the worst defensive header I've ever seen, straight back into his own box and Ruidiaz smashes it home.

Reminded me of Creavalle crossing the ball back into our own box vs. NYC at the end of the game:

https://youtu.be/QoQSCiQnOEI?t=560

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jesus. This is in the same territory as our 2016 series vs MTL now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

half the Timbers players didn't know they were going to PKs lol. no away goal rules during extra time
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank God Portland pulled that out. I couldn't stomach another Sounders MLS cup run

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great stuff tonight, compelling stories and moments all around......Now to eliminate Atlanta and NYRB and my playoffs will be complete....go Clbs and Western Conference....

Seattle lost on penalties at home after dominating a game (sound familiar?!) - we lost a Championship to them after being even more dominating for 120 minutes - they only lost in the Quarter Finals (basically) and not the Finals, my sympathy is lacking for Sounders fans tonight (you got your title and we got ours)....Thank You Timbers.....

For those that don’t appreciate how much “luck” goes into winning a Championship after watching tonight, I don’t know what else there is to say - there were a ton of little moments (and big ones) that could have led to the opposite result tonight - from player miscues (bad penalties, hand balls, missed shots in the box), officiating discretionary moments, injuries to key starters, etc. - if Seattle would have won tonight, would anyone have been shocked if they won the whole thing?! The line between success and failure is a pretty thin one in this league....
    Last edited by tfcfans; 11-09-2018 at 05:21 AM.