Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MLS Playoffs 2018 - Watching From the Other Side of the Street

As per usual, the hotter streaking team wins.

Portland rested players, Dallas was falling down.

NYC takes advantage of its offence against a team who doesn't do Defensive midfield play very well.

Tonight its LAFC against the very rested RSL & last year's fairy tale vs. this year's fairy tale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think LAFC pulls through based on Quality alone. Columbus had a hot keeper going into the playoffs, but Steffen isn't as hot as he was then. Rooney has pretty much transformed DCU and I expect him to partner with Acosta effectively enough to bag a couple of goals for the win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank god we have got the great stadium and atmosphere at BMO field. playing soccer at yankee stadium is a joke. its like watching little kids play soccer.
    in little kids soccer there are twenty kids around the ball, no room to do anything. at yankee stadium there are always so many people around the ball because its so small a pitch.

also, thank god for TFC. the dallas portland game was so boring, TFC games are exciting at BMO. only 10,000 in attendance in Dallas last night. how can you have atmosphere when there are only 10,000 people in attendance.

RPB Member
    Away Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The attendance at both games was pretty shocking last night, but unfortunately, not surprising. I’m expecting both games to be sold out (or close to) tonight. Both home teams advancing.
    Away trips: 2014 - Seattle. 2015 - Montreal. 2016 - Montreal x2. Playoffs - NYCFC, Montreal. 2017 - Salt Lake, Philly, Ottawa, Montreal, Chicago, LA, Atlanta. ​Playoffs - NYRB, Columbus. 2018 ​- Monterrey, MX (Tigres) CCL, Montreal, Ottawa, Montreal. 2019 - ​Philly, Montreal, Seattle (MLS Cup final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched the NYCFC vs. Philadelphia game and all I could think of was how a garbage team like Philadelphia made it to the playoffs and we did not.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Dallas attendance was embarrassing, but we didnt sell out our first round games.
    There isnt much of a lead up to those first games and they are mid week.
    That said, 10,000 is poor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    The Dallas attendance was embarrassing, but we didnt sell out our first round games.
    There isnt much of a lead up to those first games and they are mid week.
    That said, 10,000 is poor.
    Watching LAFC and D.C United is like watching teams from a completely different league. Quality soccer, beautiful stadium, and great atmosphere.

The NYCFC game was good. NYCFC looked really, really good... But wow that stadium is an eye sore.

MLS 3.0 teams:

Atlanta United
    LA Galaxy
    Seattle Sounders
    Toronto FC
    LAFC
    Orlando S.C
    D.C United
    New York Red Bulls
    Portland Timbers
    Sportking K.C
    Real Salt Lake
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Minnesota United

MLS 2.5:

NYCFC (need a stadium)
    Philadelphia Union
    New England
    San Jose
    Montreal
    Houston Dynamo

MLS 2.0 teams:

These teams are painful to watch in their home stadiums.

Columbus
    F.C Dallas
    Colorado Rapids
    Chicago Fire

I'm not sure how you fix these 4 teams and they really do bring down the league.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After watching the DC v Clbs game --- For everyone who felt that squeezing into the playoffs at 50 points or so, would be seen as a success this season --- Does anyone think the DC United fan tonight feels way better about their season than we do as TFC fans?! they had all sorts of momentum and looked dangerous in the second half of the season especially at home in their new stadium; and just like Atlanta last year who appeared to most to be the "better team" - they are gone on the crapshoot of a penalty kick taking contest ---- losing yesterday or today does not exactly provide much of a great feeling about a "good season" if you last a whole 3/4 days more than everyone else who didn't make the playoffs.....the point is, only 1 or maybe two teams a year will truly feel satisfied at the end of the year; and if every season that we don't at least make the Finals will lead to massive disappointment, you are going to be massively disappointed 95% of the time - No matter how much talent a team may have there is a high degree of luck involved in navigating the playoff gauntlet (injuries, bad calls, simple mistakes, penalties) - the fact that we almost did it twice in a row is incredible.....I doubt anyone in Atlanta will call this season a success if they lose before the Finals (or even in the Finals some would say) - 69 points won't mean much if they don't ultimately win anything.....the standards for being "happy" as a fan in sports are untenable most of the time for most people.....

On that note --- RSL just took the lead against LAFC despite the entire game flowing in the opposite direction....the best teams don't win a lot of the time in a one game sudden death playoff.....game now tied....LAFC fans acting poorly.....
    Last edited by tfcfans; 11-01-2018 at 10:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    After watching the DC v Clbs game --- For everyone who felt that squeezing into the playoffs at 50 points or so, would be seen as a success this season --- Does anyone think the DC United fan tonight feels way better about their season than we do as TFC fans?! they had all sorts of momentum and looked dangerous in the second half of the season especially at home in their new stadium; and just like Atlanta last year who appeared to most to be the "better team" - they are gone on the crapshoot of a penalty kick taking contest ---- losing yesterday or today does not exactly provide much of a great feeling about a "good season" if you last a whole 3/4 days more than everyone else who didn't make the playoffs.....the point is, only 1 or maybe two teams a year will truly feel satisfied at the end of the year; and if every season that we don't at least make the Finals will lead to massive disappointment, you are going to be massively disappointed 95% of the time - No matter how much talent a team may have there is a high degree of luck involved in navigating the playoff gauntlet (injuries, bad calls, simple mistakes, penalties) - the fact that we almost did it twice in a row is incredible.....I doubt anyone in Atlanta will call this season a success if they lose before the Finals (or even in the Finals some would say) - 69 points won't mean much if they don't ultimately win anything.....the standards for being "happy" as a fan in sports are untenable most of the time for most people.....

On that note --- RSL just took the lead against LAFC despite the entire game flowing in the opposite direction....the best teams don't win a lot of the time in a one game sudden death playoff.....game now tied....LAFC fans acting poorly.....
    The better team did win though. Very entertaining game, but Columbus outplayed DC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And LAFC supporters just went too far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    And LAFC supporters just went too far.

I wasn't able to watch the game. What happened?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    I wasn't able to watch the game. What happened?
    Throwing beer cups and cups filled with ice at Rimando during the free kick that led to the first LAFC goal. He got hit. Game was stopped for 5 minutes.

RPB Member
    Away Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tonight’s games have been crazy fun to watch.
    Away trips: 2014 - Seattle. 2015 - Montreal. 2016 - Montreal x2. Playoffs - NYCFC, Montreal. 2017 - Salt Lake, Philly, Ottawa, Montreal, Chicago, LA, Atlanta. ​Playoffs - NYRB, Columbus. 2018 ​- Monterrey, MX (Tigres) CCL, Montreal, Ottawa, Montreal. 2019 - ​Philly, Montreal, Seattle (MLS Cup final)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A fluke third goal for RSL wins the game - again, it just shows how a lot of luck is involved in getting to, and winning MLS Cups.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sunday be an 17 hour soccer day if you want it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only TFC supporter who will be saddened the day Higuain retires? He is the complete player, as good as any I have seen in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Am I the only TFC supporter who will be saddened the day Higuain retires? He is the complete player, as good as any I have seen in MLS.
    yes, you are.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Berhalter outcoached Ben Olsen.

Like he has every single other coach in the league at one point or another.

(Ben Olsen outcoached Tata Martino last year)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rooney did amazing for DC this year, but his PK was saved last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, shows what I know. MLS will MLS. I have to admit, there is something to playoffs that a single table season just can't match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It also shows that Columbus has mastered the away game of the single game knockout playoff. DC should have begun with urgency and power, thinking that if you don't crush the Crew in the first 20 minutes they will hang around and find a way.
    Startling that during the run of play Hamid looked the better keeper over Steffen, but in penalty kicks Steffen found his groove. I thought that Hamid's face at one point had a "o man, this is slipping away from us" look to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both the games last night were fantastic.

How wild that Rooney, Acosta and Deleon, the clutch players for DC, end up botching it in the shootout? That game was super entertaining.

LAFC fans are trash. Both for throwing it and then devolving into the puto chant when all seemed lost. Also fuck the league for giving LA 10 minutes of extra time. That karate kid kick goal by RSL was wild as well.

I love the playoffs.
    Last edited by magmadragon; 11-02-2018 at 12:21 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great games yesterday for sure.

The Columbus game, full credit to the Crew on a strong display. Steffen looked a little shaky, but once again in penalties he steps up and makes it count like he has done. Sucks for DeLeon who ends up being a hero then missing his PK. Feel bad, but thats the life of penalties. I know lots of people had DC taking that game.

The LAFC game, yeah we've had some issues ourselves in Toronto with throwing stuff on the field, it sucks to see. Hopefully its a lesson and a little bit of karma that led to Salt Lake advancing. No chance I see them going by Kansas City but good job from them!
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

League has a tough chore on its hands to allow expression at the games but keep clear of the ugly stuff. Especially when supporters sections are so loosely “controlled” by the supporters themselves. Playoff match draws more non-regulars than normal and it devolves into some bad habits brought from elsewhere.

Honestly, compared to hospitalizing a guy protecting kids with autism at a pre-game march i’d say what happened last night looks pretty tame (not that we should set the bar there, but you get the point).

Just give the core fan base a break, is all i’m saying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of the smaller spend-thrift teams ability to compete is quite impressive. Berhalter is the best coach in the league and he has a good (yet inexpensive) roster behind him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Some of the smaller spend-thrift teams ability to compete is quite impressive. Berhalter is the best coach in the league and he has a good (yet inexpensive) roster behind him.
    I think Schmetzer becomes the best coach in the league if he manages to drag this Seattle team to a third straight MLS Cup final.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Sadly, I need to say that probably in terms of spending on roster vs results achieved, TFC is the biggest underachiever in the league's existence (if thinking about all the seasons since TFC entered the MLS). Maybe I'm wrong, but even if not, I should be not far from the truth...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    Sadly, I need to say that probably in terms of spending on roster vs results achieved, TFC is the biggest underachiever in the league's existence (if thinking about all the seasons since TFC entered the MLS). Maybe I'm wrong, but even if not, I should be not far from the truth...
    You say "sadly," but even if I knew this in hindsight, I'd have bitten your hand off had someone offered us the last two and a half years, at our inception.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zack Steffan is the best GK I've ever seen at saving penalties.

Before the DC game his all-time stats were 7 saved, 12 allowed:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/zack-s...spieler/221624

And then he stops 2 more against DC. What is that, around a 35-40% success rate? That must be unheard of for a keeper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I felt that both Hamid and Steffen were athletic marvels AND total bosses of their back line defenders. Pointing and demanding and controlling in a manner, .....here comes the TFC twist, that Alex Bono does NOT even attempt imho.
    Maybe it is a role he can grow into, but the trend towards allowing early goals seem to deflate the team and reduce his authority.