Page 96 of 191 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106146 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,880 of 5725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luanda View Post
    I think one of the problems with Seba vs TFC here was the very vocal/public negotiating stance the Seba camp (possibly driven by the agent) took. This is just done in North America. Note what happened with DeRo when he asked for the check to be signed. Seba found way more money in the Middle East, not a problem. Good Luck to him. Hopefully, TFC can find a decent replacement and surround him with 1-2-3 other good players: Sporting Lisbon lost Ronaldo to MU, MU lost Ronaldo to Real Madrid, Real Madrid lost Ronaldo to Juve.... Players move on, so does the game - EVERYWHERE.
    Ronaldo was sold from Man U a year after REal Madrid approached. they had lots of time to plan . Thats how it is done well. As Curtis said, this caught them by surprise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Ronaldo was sold from Man U a year after REal Madrid approached. they had lots of time to plan . Thats how it is done well. As Curtis said, this caught them by surprise.
    seba had a contract this year.he left the club high and dry.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    Ill say this to extend Bradley and altidore when saba had a decent season last year. Free kick scoring will go way down, that free kick v tigres showed CONCACAF tfc belongs, not taking the option and having it play out like this is terrible, seemed like a panic move oh shit no option in seba lost him , lets resign Bradley/altidore to show fans we care.

Very underrated part is the chemistry between Osorio and seba
    Took me a long time to appreciate Osorio. Years of missing open nets, etc....then magic....without Seba and Victor, he will have a lot of pressure to bring us 2018 Osirio instead of 2016.....I think here is another reason dumping Seba will hurt this team this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Inject this tweet into my god damn veins.

I was seriously resigned to the fact that the big spending days are over and done with... maybe that actually was a bit premature.
    Word. This got me wet...better not be a tease.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    “Among the highest paid in MLS history”. Well given the way MLS works, that could mean essentially anything. A million dollars a year makes you among the highest paid in history. Doesn’t exactly count as imprssessive.
    That's not what hes saying. Hes referring solely to the transfer fee. So 10-15M range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Took me a long time to appreciate Osorio. Years of missing open nets, etc....then magic....without Seba and Victor, he will have a lot of pressure to bring us 2018 Osirio instead of 2016.....I think here is another reason dumping Seba will hurt this team this year.
    Again, TFC did not dump Seba, it looks like it's the other way around.

Curtis publicly stated they offered Seba a contract and Seba and his agent were unwilling to negotiate off of their number or have much dialogue. Seba can go, thank you for your services and it was great having you; but you are not worth 7-10 million per year going forward imo. TFC saves them saves them selves GIO's salary and get a transfer fee. With the two transfer fee's in VV and Giovinco and the salary saved, that's approximately 13-14 million dollars, and depending what they do with VDW (who has attitude problems) that's another 1 million ish. Sure these are good players but we can turn over and find new players and PROFIT of them. Personally, I applaud TFC for not getting bullied and most importantly communicating effectively with the fans TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    seba had a contract this year.he left the club high and dry.
    To not prepare for the worst case scenario would be our front office not doing their diligence. In that case Bill Manning and Ali Curtis both deserves to be sacked.

Both Manning and Curtis has to be prepared for this scenario (in PTS, Manning confirmed that TFC was scouting around for a Giovinco replacement last year). In this case, they are willing to get lowballed and free the DP slot than to see the window close with a very disgruntled Giovinco in the room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we got the Moroccan guy to replace Vasquez and Alessandrini to replace Gio, I'd be okay with that.

But it sounds like they're going for a young south american.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post

Curtis publicly stated they offered Seba a contract and Seba and his agent were unwilling to negotiate off of their number or have much dialogue. Seba can go, thank you for your services and it was great having you; but you are not worth 7-10 million per year going forward imo. TFC saves them saves them selves GIO's salary and get a transfer fee. With the two transfer fee's in VV and Giovinco and the salary saved, that's approximately 13-14 million dollars, and depending what they do with VDW (who has attitude problems) that's another 1 million ish. Sure these are good players but we can turn over and find new players and PROFIT of them. Personally, I applaud TFC for not getting bullied and most importantly communicating effectively with the fans TFC.
    I think in hindsight his "I would've taken less" probably referred to the Saudi contract's value, which is way out of MLS realm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is starting to look like Boyd replacing Ricketts, Hanni replacing VV on TAM and (insert here) replacing Seba on DP. They got a lot of money to spend now that they are off the books of Seba's 7.1 plus the 3 mill they got. We still have that first allocation pick too....i think the next week is getting exciting again...just maybe not enough time to GEL for the CCL. Also rumors of extending Bradley and OutTheDoor as well...lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously? Seba and agent played there cards all wrong. They went all in and busted. Saudi Arabia people, he is going to bloody Saudi Arabia!!

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    To not prepare for the worst case scenario would be our front office not doing their diligence. In that case Bill Manning and Ali Curtis both deserves to be sacked.

Both Manning and Curtis has to be prepared for this scenario (in PTS, Manning confirmed that TFC was scouting around for a Giovinco replacement last year). In this case, they are willing to get lowballed and free the DP slot than to see the window close with a very disgruntled Giovinco in the room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've never lost so much quality in such a short period...less than 2 weeks wow.
    And if Curtis is saying they didn't anticipate Seba leaving then I wonder what kind of DP they can pick up on a moment's notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
    It is starting to look like Boyd replacing Ricketts, Hanni replacing VV on TAM and (insert here) replacing Seba on DP. They got a lot of money to spend now that they are off the books of Seba's 7.1 plus the 3 mill they got. We still have that first allocation pick too....i think the next week is getting exciting again...just maybe not enough time to GEL for the CCL. Also rumors of extending Bradley and OutTheDoor as well...lol
    If they can bring in a truly great young player, someone at the Almiron or Lucho Acosta level of talent, we might technically be a little stronger this year.

Man, some of you guys I've been yakking with about this stuff for thirteen years now, and I have no doubt in pure talent Seba was the greatest, and that one season was fucking magic.

But I thought all of the European money players disappointed last year. A lot of their being out of the lineup seemed to be 'precautionary' rather than injuries. And as much as I think Vasquez and Seba had a ton of heart, they were both really fucking moody and prone to distraction, and so is Jozy. People who say he's just big and fast, respectfully, haven't got a fucking clue about football talent. If he had the merciless resolve and temperament of a Villa, where he was just bigger than the little problems, he'd be scoring twenty a year for a joke.

In the end, once they'd won it all here, maybe Seba, VV or GvdW didn't quite have the killer instinct last year. Or Marky, either, who seemed distracted after missing the goal in the final.

I'm a little worried about over-relying on Auro as a defender; he's great going forward but his marking last year was terrible. However, he's young and very talented, and they've probably worked on it.

I dunno. A lot depends on the next few days, I guess.
    Last edited by jloome; 01-31-2019 at 06:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Manning 100%. That was a classless move by Seba to characterize the organization that made him the highest paid player in the league in that manner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I think in hindsight his "I would've taken less" probably referred to the Saudi contract's value, which is way out of MLS realm.
    Just some insight, Seba or his agent kind of pulled same stunt when he was on loan with Parma from Juve...Parma were willing to sign him from Juve and Juve was willing to sell him but his salary kept going up and up and with team going bankrupt it fell apart...fast forward with the newly minted Parma Calcio 1913, which I bought shares into as part of the community ownership called PPC...our group owns 20% of team and have representation on the board and are part of executive decisions...with our promotion we looked to the past...spoke to Buffon but he wanted to win now, Seba’s name came up b/c of history with club feelers were sent out to his agent specifically and when the numbers came back we passed and picked up Gervinho for way less...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any update on Lucas Janson? I thought they were still trying to bring him back... is that dead?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yikes. Says he'd have taken less to stay.

Man, I don't know about this now. The front office might need to do some explaining about what is going on.
    and I believe in the tooth fairy . Small minded mgmt in big city market . Why is Toronto always sabotaged by mostly out of town money mangers squeezing the sponge of life from our sports teams ? Are the fans simply TOO accommodating?
    Yes please raise my ticket prices every year and give me sh@@ in return . This was negativity wasn’t hard to see since last year , if people really opened their eyes . I fear for Canadian teams . Manning is a disaster . We were so fortunate to have Tim Lewicki , for a moment . Or we never would have won crap . I guess they’ll even raise the price of beer to keep up with the loss of purchases .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we got the Moroccan guy to replace Vasquez and Alessandrini to replace Gio, I'd be okay with that.

But it sounds like they're going for a young south american.
    I hope so.

Here are some nice players in the Argentina top division

Juan Fernando Quintero, CAM, 25, (78 ON FIFA 19)
    Martin Benitez, 24, CAM (76 FIFA 19)
    Nathian Nandez, 22, CM ( 75 ON FIFA 19)
    Juan Ramirez, 22, CM (74 ON FIFA 19)
    Emanuel Reyonso, 22, CM, (73 ON FIFA 19)
    Harlan Barrera, 22, CM ( 73 ON FIFA 19)
    Brian Sarmiento, 28, CAM (73 ON FIFA 19)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post

I get it. I am just pissed that he is gone. I am still pissed at MLSE for trading W Clark. I don’t watch much TV anymore, and stopped idolizing athletes many years ago. But this still stinks, no matter what the cause.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    End of an era. And not just the end of Seba's era, either. its the end of TFC trying to conquer all.

I have no forgiveness for management here. They have handled this abysmally. KJ says Manning is under instructions to save money (from MLSE!!!! they have literally infinite money) so perhaps was in a hard position, but Seba should have been re-signed or allowed to leave last year, not two weeks before our first game. We will be made mincemeat of in the CCL.

Given his legendary status, they should have done everything possible to keep him so he ended his career a Red.

We won't see his like again, ever. Maybe they will bring a good player in, maybe it will be a flop, or maybe its just a smokescreen, but this is the end of the "why cant we be the best" era.

As supporters, we need to make a statement that is heard clearly. or we will be treated like our dreams and hopes don't matter and that they can simply put a budget team on the field.

Truth .....and they even considered raising prices , surely knowing the troubles ahead . Btw what did they get for him ? SFA . Where is the fire , hope ,from anyone in this damn joke of small town mgmt team? Zero communication, what was once great is simply mediocre .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I will say is if Seba truly wanted to say he would have worked with the club on a deal.

Great player with an ego that's easily manipulated by his agent and I cannot imagine he will be happy in the Saudi league.

No matter how much money he is making he would rather be lighting up the CCL against Mexican opposition.

Thats where he should have went, but why did not one single Mexican team approach us?

The Mexican fans and media were enamored with him last year during the CCL run, and I think its clear his demands were very unreasonable to turn them all off.
    Last edited by Richard; 01-31-2019 at 07:36 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

The Mexican fans and media were enamored with him last year during the CCL run, and I think its clear his demands were very unreasonable to turn them all off.
    Kloke's article in the Athletic indicated many teams kicked the tires but didn't like Seba's wages.

On another note, Kloke indicated Vasquez may have not passed his physical when he came back.

Also points towards a DP coming from a club in Europe -one of the 5 big leagues. Time to start scanning for strikers 25-27 not fancied by their current manager.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure Curtis said that they didn't anticipate Giovinco leaving, but any good Front Office worth their salt will have back-up plans in place and the digital Rolodex equivalent of a short list of players and contacts they could access in a hurry if required. This is a good chance for Manning and Curtis to show how quick they are on their feet. I'm expecting we'll be having a different conversation in this thread by this time next week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Kloke's article in the Athletic indicated many teams kicked the tires but didn't like Seba's wages.

On another note, Kloke indicated Vasquez may have not passed his physical when he came back.

Also points towards a DP coming from a club in Europe -one of the 5 big leagues. Time to start scanning for strikers 25-27 not fancied by their current manager.
    Yeah I’m not sure where some people are getting the idea a DP will come from South America. I’ve gotten the impression it’s Europe.

I’m also having trouble with this idea we are about to break the bank on a transfer fee after KJ talked about Manning being under orders to cut salary. I’m sure that’s the underlying reason behind the impasse with Giovinco.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In response to Og’s challenge, thinking about it for two seconds I advance the name Daniel Sturridge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    am Stejskal@samstejskal 47m47 minutes agoMore

In case there was any doubt... Toronto plan to go big to replace Giovinco and Vazquez. Told club is aiming to sign a younger attacker as a DP in next couple weeks. If signed, the fee will likely be among the highest in MLS history. Targeting 1-2 TAM signings this window, as well.
    This makes more sense then the Hanni rumour.

I'm sure MLSE recognizes Atlanta as a success model moving forward. After all, we forget TFC is only a 10 year old club with limited experience

MLSE has capital many South American and even some European teams don't have.

They should be using capital as good debt to buy assets. This is what every top team does and TFC should be able to do it on a micro level scale like Atlanta.

ie:

Stage 1 ) Buy a top young player for 12-15 million (this is your downpayment)
    Stage 2) Pay him 2-3 million per season on a 3 year controlled contract (6-9 million total)
    Stage 3 ) Sell him in year 3 or 4 for 21-25 million (6-9 million in asset appreciation)

The appreciation of the asset pays off the players salary. You basically get the player for free over the 3 years you have him.

Obviously that's a dream scenario and can't be replicated constantly at scale, but if you target those players consistently you will win often and at the very least we won't come away with low valued assets in there 30's (Giovinco, Bradley)

TFC spent a 100 million on Giovinco, Bradley, Defoe/Altidore and they really have nothing to sell. They literally burned a 100 million for us (god love them)

MLS looks like it's going to be a buying/selling league. United States does a better job then anyone at depicting their streets are made out of gold. Players want to be here. We should be using debt as leverage and use perception of our amazing city to target these young 22-24 year old South American and African kids to make a profit on them. Price is perception of the buyer and players will choose us over Saudi Arabia and China imo. If they want to be finacialy efficient we can probably get them cheaper then some other leagues
    Last edited by Defoe; 01-31-2019 at 07:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Also points towards a DP coming from a club in Europe -one of the 5 big leagues.
    Source for this wording? In Kloke's article he uses the same phrase KJ did - "top player from a very good league" and doesn't specify the continent.

To me that suggests somewhere more like Brazil, Mexico, Portugal, etc. rather than a top 5 league, unless I missed him specifying such a thing somewhere.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Great player with an ego that's easily manipulated by his agent and I cannot imagine he will be happy in the Saudi league.
    I wonder how the refs are in Saudi Arabia (pictures Giovinco "having a coronary" over some idiotic decision).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone remind me, it’s the buyer’s transfer window that matters, not the selling team’s?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Can someone remind me, it’s the buyer’s transfer window that matters, not the selling team’s?
    Yes.