Results 2,731 to 2,760 of 5725
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Bravo.

I feel like this is exactly what I would want to write.
    Thanks -- I guess in times of stress, or times of joy I tend to get more literary.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    It sucks that Giovinco got sold but unfortunately soccer is business. TFC did well enough to get 2-3M out of a 32 yr old player.
    I'll rate Manning and Curtis after I see who they bring in as replacement DP, and also how they use the stack of GAM TFC just got from selling Giovinco (if I remember the rules correctly)
    No GAM from the sale. You can only convert some of the fee to GAM once you recoup your out of pocket costs. Fee aint big enough for that.

Atlanta will be able to for Almiron sale as the fee they got for him is bigger than the salary paid to him over two years and the transfer fee they paid for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm told Toronto FC has its sights on Algerian playmaker Sofiane Hanni, currently at Spartak Moscow, as a DP replacement for Giovinco. TFC could definitely use his creativity after the departures of Giovinco and Victor Vasquez
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 01-31-2019 at 01:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He also just signed a new contract today so thats a no go!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ more a VV replacement, likely on TAM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Valdal View Post
    Where do you see that? Looks like he signed a 3 and a half year deal January 2018, not this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was posted by reggie yesterday (page 79) and he got it from the V forum - poster Obinna - funny that Ives is now picking it up...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
    Where do you see that? Looks like he signed a 3 and a half year deal January 2018, not this year.
    I misread that you are correct

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Valdal View Post
    You mean other clubs came calling and his own team offered him a new deal? Before the end of his contract? That sounds like madness /sarcasm

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring Junior Hoilett home.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    This was posted by reggie yesterday (page 79) .
    13 pages in 1 day....busy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    You mean other clubs came calling and his own team offered him a new deal? Before the end of his contract? That sounds like madness /sarcasm
    But that's not what happened in this guy's case so....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    This is the DP. Has to be. The transfer fee alone will put it in DP money. Good player, with decent stats. Not a big name player like Giovinco, but could have a similar impact to Vasquez in his 1st season, which was huge. I’m assuming they are going to sign a South America forward with the TAM. If they get rid of VDW, they will go back out and shop for rb. I think they leave money to sign someone in the summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A 76 OVR player(Hanni) and $3,000,000 which we will not see any profit for an 82 overall Giovinco according to FIFA 19, i know EA rating arent always accurate, but if this is the solution for this problem, management needs to step down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    Bring Junior Hoilett home.
    Not an expert but I suspect Cardiff is heavily focused on bringing in a forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    Thanks for the compliment --- yes the "parting shot" by Seba was a little petulant (although not completely out of character with his personality on the field also - a mercurial talent, but also a bit of a whiner too if we are being fair - he's the guy you love on your team, but roll your eyes at (even I've done it sometimes and he was on my team), when he goes down constantly looking for calls if you're the opponent), and he could have left with a simple Thank You to the team and the fans and the city --- all I can say today is considering what has transpired over the last few months -- if anyone does not look at Bradley and think he is the epitome of a professional compared to a lot of the posturing and preening and whining going on than I don't know what else to say -- of course he does not have the same "talent" as some of the others on this team - but being a leader and a Captain and acting like a Professional goes a long way in my books (I wouldn't give him a 5 year DP contract either - again let's not be stupid here!) - but my bet is Bradley will not throw shade on the team whenever it is that he leaves the franchise.....I used to tell my students that I will give up some aptitude, if it means a way better attitude when writing a reference for them.....I'd much rather hire a kid getting 78% who is willing to bust his ass everyday and shows up early ready to go and learn and be a team-player, as opposed to a 90% kid who thinks they know it all and the rules don't apply to them (sounds a little VDW like doesn't it?!) -- I know sports is different and we indulge "talent", but its annoying.....anyone else thrilled that KLeonard sits every second game or so for the Raptors this year? I get that it's all about the playoffs for them, but if I had Season Tickets and the guy can't play in a game even after a day off (never mind back-to backs) when he is healthy, I'd be pissed to be paying that kind of money to see him sit on a bench waving a towel (and yes, he will be gone next summer with or without all of this catering to "load management/rest" - it's not even a debate he will be in LA or some such warm weather locale)......
    Well said. I noticed too that Seba became a bit more petulant on the field on 2018 than previous years; sometimes his attitude was cringeworthy. As you said this is a business and he went to a new employers for better compensation and the TFC management wasn't agreeing with his terms. This is a team and they have to look to the future.

I'll miss watching Seba as he's the best player we've had. But let's hope that the 2019 TFC team will be successful in it own way. I'll hold judgement on the management's decisions until the team is playing and getting (hopefully) good results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DFloorDanny View Post
    I've thought about and have been following how the Giovinco situation unfolded these past few days. Like many of you, I'm heartbroken that he's leaving for the memories that were provided to us, but I'm much more disappointed and disgusted with him than in management or anything else, and I'm not upset that he's gone with the way he's chosen to go out. As far as management is concerned, they may have botched the progression of Giovinco's time here. I stress the term "may have", because I don't think the two sides were ever close and that's why there wasn't much point in having a discussion before this.

You've all seen it, the incessant whining, the lack of self awareness, etc. He was the highest paid player in the league for a reason, to do the job of being its best player and to transform the organization, and he was paid very handsomely for that. He seems to think that he deserves to be paid MORE for past performance, because let's face it, he's been on the decline since 2017, so it certainly isn't for future performance. Somewhere, you have to draw the line. His scathing instagram post towards management is really icing on the cake of where his head is at, though it's clear he wasn't the one who actually wrote the post. I unconditionally refuse to believe someone who says management is not committed to winning when the following things are reportedly true:

- TFC offered him similar money to Josef Martinez, a player who has outperformed Giovinco in the last 2 years. His salary would have still remained higher than the likes of Wayne Rooney. If you've been following Giovinco since he got here in 2015, he's not the same player and has clearly declined some. One would be daft to believe he's not going to continue in this direction.
    - He chose to go to Saudi Arabia, to win? Win what in Saudi Arabia? The lifestyle there resembles nothing of that here too and not in a good way, hearing from friends who worked there.
    - They're paying him $10 Million a year. Nobody else was offering that money and TFC would have been stupid to match or even come close.

It's clear that the party not committed to winning and making a proper lifestyle choice was Giovinco. This was always and only ever about getting a maximum pay day and not about "home", whatever that means. Shame on you, Seba, though I guess this behaviour consistent with his incessantly whiny attitude which I quickly came to loathe. With that disgusting and unnecessary instagram post, he's tarnished his legacy here in my mind. There's no reason why he couldn't have gone out on a high in his goodbye message that would have immortalized him.

Thanks for the memories, I guess, but don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    This actually may be the biggest pile of disingenuous bullshit in the history of any board on this site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can MLS clubs Purchase any players after the deadline today?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InDa_110 View Post
    This actually may be the biggest pile of disingenuous bullshit in the history of any board on this site.
    I don't think so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    A 76 OVR player(Hanni) and $3,000,000 which we will not see any profit for an 82 overall Giovinco according to FIFA 19, i know EA rating arent always accurate, but if this is the solution for this problem, management needs to step down
    Giovinco was 76 rated in FIFA 15 before his move to TFC, FWIW.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    No GAM from the sale. You can only convert some of the fee to GAM once you recoup your out of pocket costs. Fee aint big enough for that.

Atlanta will be able to for Almiron sale as the fee they got for him is bigger than the salary paid to him over two years and the transfer fee they paid for him.
    I swear I thought only transfer fees counted, not salaries for GAM calculation but after rereading the rules, I think you might be right. Oh well
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocktml View Post
    Can MLS clubs Purchase any players after the deadline today?
    Yes, MLS transfer window opens Feb 7.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So they don’t need to find a DP by today they can do it within the next couple weeks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a side note as we process things today after a legend leaves us to go get paid elsewhere.....I am a huge lifelong Liverpool fan (you can yell at me accordingly now), and in 2015 Our Captain, our Leader, our everything and frankly in the long-storied history of the club is up there with anyone including Dalglish and Rush etc. as a fan favourite and legend of the club was in a similar contract situation as we have just gone through (not exactly the same I know but similar in terms of his stature in the club) --- there was some debate over when he was offered a contract and his playing time but at age 34 he still was a productive player (no not the equivalent of a Gio I would say in terms of his talent in comparison to the league itself), but more importantly a "leader" (a Bradley type as it were for those that don't know too much about Liverpool) - and there was much hand-wringing from the fans over whether they should offer him some type of "legacy" contract to retire as a Red as he literally was a lifelong member of the club and a club legend for all intents and purposes (way bigger in stature/importance to Liverpool than Gio was in Toronto in my opinion - statues will be built of Stevie G. (ha ha ha)).....well what happened, he went to LA for a lot more money than he would have gotten in England -- and at age 35 he was not the same player anymore and was out of soccer soon thereafter....

Many Liverpool fans were angry - how could you let a legend like Stevie G go and end his career that way? -- just pay him for all he has done with the club.....fast forward to 2018-2019 -- Liverpool is atop the Prem without Stevie G. (which is a bit sad as he never won the Prem.), and shockingly the Kop has new heroes to cheer for and I doubt that if they win the Prem this season (no jinx no jinx) that 2015 will be the focus anymore --- the point is, time moved on, changes happened, supporters support, the team got new heroes like Salah in 2017 and they hang his jersey in their closet beside their Stevie G. one ---- I have a Sundin shirt beside a Gilmour shirt, beside a Sittler shirt, beside a Matthews and Marner shirt now --- will we be dwelling on how Ballard screwed over Sittler if the Leafs win the Cup with this new young talented group? I don't think that parade will be any less sweet for the fans.....

This is sports, we cheer for laundry, it would be great if they cared about "us" as much as we did about "them", but at the end of the day its a business no matter what platitudes are stated otherwise by teams and their players ---- if Gio truly wanted to stay here, he could have - it would mean less money (still a multimillionaire leading a pretty darn good life I would suggest in Toronto for him and his family) - he chose money as is his prerogative, as it clearly was not about lifestyle or soccer when going to SA; it's a passion and entertainment for us....there is a difference....we lead with our hearts, most of the others in this equation lead with their heads when making decisions.......it's why we are hurt emotionally when this happens ---

Let's be honest here - both sides did make "logical choices" based on their respective positions -- Gio said it's my last shot to make as much as I can for me and my family -- eminently logical --- the team said we will pay you as a top 5 player (as he is in my opinion), but not as the highest one, and not for 5 years as you are 32 years old and likely a diminishing asset over time -- also eminently logical.....I don't think either side acted in a way that was ludicrous based on their respective positions.....we as fans are caught in the middle as for today we are a worse team than yesterday (like Liverpool felt in 2015) so we are sad/angry -- but we don't know the future for Seba and his talents, or for the franchise and their future signings (no one in Liverpool knew Salah was coming in 2017 back in 2015) so to say all is lost is also a little ridiculous too --- we will have a top 5 payroll this year I would say pretty much guaranteed; it's not like the team has decided to never spend again or to become a bottom dweller....last year we had almost all of our heroes return and by the end of April our season had peaked, as we kept waiting for magic to happen (wait until we get healthy!) and it never did -- there are no guarantees this year would have been different....I doubt getting older (signing all 3 DPs to "legacy" type of contracts into their mid 30s) will make us healthier as a team over time either.....

You sir are a voice of reason and calm. Excellent summary.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Now we're talking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a side note as we process things today after a legend leaves us to go get paid elsewhere.....I am a huge lifelong Liverpool fan (you can yell at me accordingly now), and in 2015 Our Captain, our Leader, our everything and frankly in the long-storied history of the club is up there with anyone including Dalglish and Rush etc. as a fan favourite and legend of the club was in a similar contract situation as we have just gone through (not exactly the same I know but similar in terms of his stature in the club) --- there was some debate over when he was offered a contract and his playing time but at age 34 he still was a productive player (no not the equivalent of a Gio I would say in terms of his talent in comparison to the league itself), but more importantly a "leader" (a Bradley type as it were for those that don't know too much about Liverpool) - and there was much hand-wringing from the fans over whether they should offer him some type of "legacy" contract to retire as a Red as he literally was a lifelong member of the club and a club legend for all intents and purposes (way bigger in stature/importance to Liverpool than Gio was in Toronto in my opinion - statues will be built of Stevie G. (ha ha ha)).....well what happened, he went to LA for a lot more money than he would have gotten in England -- and at age 35 he was not the same player anymore and was out of soccer soon thereafter....

Many Liverpool fans were angry - how could you let a legend like Stevie G go and end his career that way? -- just pay him for all he has done with the club.....fast forward to 2018-2019 -- Liverpool is atop the Prem without Stevie G. (which is a bit sad as he never won the Prem.), and shockingly the Kop has new heroes to cheer for and I doubt that if they win the Prem this season (no jinx no jinx) that 2015 will be the focus anymore --- the point is, time moved on, changes happened, supporters support, the team got new heroes like Salah in 2017 and they hang his jersey in their closet beside their Stevie G. one ---- I have a Sundin shirt beside a Gilmour shirt, beside a Sittler shirt, beside a Matthews and Marner shirt now --- will we be dwelling on how Ballard screwed over Sittler if the Leafs win the Cup with this new young talented group? I don't think that parade will be any less sweet for the fans.....

This is sports, we cheer for laundry, it would be great if they cared about "us" as much as we did about "them", but at the end of the day its a business no matter what platitudes are stated otherwise by teams and their players ---- if Gio truly wanted to stay here, he could have - it would mean less money (still a multimillionaire leading a pretty darn good life I would suggest in Toronto for him and his family) - he chose money as is his prerogative, as it clearly was not about lifestyle or soccer when going to SA; it's a passion and entertainment for us....there is a difference....we lead with our hearts, most of the others in this equation lead with their heads when making decisions.......it's why we are hurt emotionally when this happens ---

Let's be honest here - both sides did make "logical choices" based on their respective positions -- Gio said it's my last shot to make as much as I can for me and my family -- eminently logical --- the team said we will pay you as a top 5 player (as he is in my opinion), but not as the highest one, and not for 5 years as you are 32 years old and likely a diminishing asset over time -- also eminently logical.....I don't think either side acted in a way that was ludicrous based on their respective positions.....we as fans are caught in the middle as for today we are a worse team than yesterday (like Liverpool felt in 2015) so we are sad/angry -- but we don't know the future for Seba and his talents, or for the franchise and their future signings (no one in Liverpool knew Salah was coming in 2017 back in 2015) so to say all is lost is also a little ridiculous too --- we will have a top 5 payroll this year I would say pretty much guaranteed; it's not like the team has decided to never spend again or to become a bottom dweller....last year we had almost all of our heroes return and by the end of April our season had peaked, as we kept waiting for magic to happen (wait until we get healthy!) and it never did -- there are no guarantees this year would have been different....I doubt getting older (signing all 3 DPs to "legacy" type of contracts into their mid 30s) will make us healthier as a team over time either.....
    I assume you have watched the Stevie G documentary? If you have not I highly recommend and I say that even as a United fan!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Close to agreeing a DP deal". I missed that before.

So definitely not Alessandrini. Interesting.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    You sir are a voice of reason and calm. Excellent summary.
    Thanks -- as for the Stevie G. documentary -- it still hurts....ha ha ha....