Page 87 of 191 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137187 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,610 of 5725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    His family will resettle in Italy while Seba is a 2 hour flight away earning his final 30 million Euros so his family could live in luxury the next 40 years.
    Saudi Arabia, the world's number one oil exporter, has no personal income tax but there are social security payments and capital gains taxes to be paid

does he have to pay taxes in Canada?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    How long has TFC been the highest payroll team in MLS? 3-4 years??

You can’t say MLsE hasn’t done shit all they’ve bankrolled a winner here for years now. You can still have competitive teams at lower salaries and have pretty decent players. Portland, NYRB for instance.

It sucks to lose Giovinco but it is what it is now. If I hear comments from Bradley saying he doesn’t believe in the vision of the ownership group that’s when I’ll be truly worried. I say that because he is the consummate professional on this team.

Seba produced amazing numbers in a year where most of the team was injured - there was zero continuity

the bottom line, to me, is if you want to develop tradition/continuity and you believe in the long-term project, then you should bend over backward to keep his ilk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    It was a mutual option, club and player. He's saying he didn't agree to exercise his option. Understandable as he'd want to secure his future.

I'll repeat, it's a downright shame it ends this way. Should have been a happy goodbye instead of everyone airing their dirty laundry like this.
    so he could of played here for 2 more years at 7 mil if he wanted?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    so he could of played here for 2 more years at 7 mil if he wanted?
    Wait, I'm going to walk this back. Reading it again it's not totally clear who is doing the refusing but given what you've pointed out, yes, I would have to assume that was TFC refusing the club option at $7 million. I got the wrong impression reading it the first time.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As others have mentioned, I'm worried about signings out of panic, or out of need to put on a show and change the topic.

Also: not only does TFC end up with a low transfer fee for Seba, partly because any other club would have known that Seba wasn't happy with contract negotiations in Toronto. In real estate they call this a distressed sale.

But Curtis also said they hope to sign a new DP soon. Any potential DPs that they've been talking to, will now also know that TFC is under stress to make a splash, so such players can bump up their wage demands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
    Hard to compete with the Arabs when they're offering 10 mil and it's tax free on top of that. He'll make there in a year what otherwise he'd make here in three. I feel sorry for his kids and his wife in particular because it's a drastically different place to live. I spent a week there on a work assignment and was ready to slash my wrists.
    It's a five-hour flight to Milan. I highly doubt they'll be there. He's coming home weekends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Nice to see you back on here JLoome. And you are spot on as always. No joy in mudville
    Yeah, cheers dude.

I dunno. I think Seba's maybe that one player you keep even if he's too expensive, for Talismanic reasons. But MLS is a political animal and this league doesn't really do that, or Villa would have retired at NYFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ship has to be steadied...with the losses of Bez, VV, VDW, Hags, and now Seba, if this club is serious about remaining a contender we need to:
    1) Sign Bradley and Altidore to 3 years extended contracts.
    2) Replace Victor Vazquez with a DP
    3) Replace Seba with a TAM striker

It needs to be done in the next 2-3 weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His greedy managers face

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He 'would have accepted less to stay in Toronto'.

So then what was the sticking point? The length of the contract? I don't get it.

This really seems like it's all about the money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

apparantly 5 year deal

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy weighs in...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DAMN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
    apparantly 5 year deal
    You're saying he wanted a 5 year deal?

If that's true, I don't blame TFC. They can't commit to a contract on a 32-year-old DP that long.

So, fine, he's gone. Given the way he forced this, I'm not going to dwell on him too long.

Now it's all about who's coming in to replace him.

As someone said earlier in the thread, the front of the shirt, not the back.

Onwards!

EDIT:

Also, how the fuck do you choose to go work in Saudi Arabia?

Shows that his moral compass is pretty low.
    Last edited by James17930; 01-31-2019 at 02:40 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This transfer is some MLS 1.0 tire fire bullshit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wahbi Khazri. Versatile. Hard worker. Scores goals.

That's my ideal signing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

End of an era. And not just the end of Seba's era, either. its the end of TFC trying to conquer all.

I have no forgiveness for management here. They have handled this abysmally. KJ says Manning is under instructions to save money (from MLSE!!!! they have literally infinite money) so perhaps was in a hard position, but Seba should have been re-signed or allowed to leave last year, not two weeks before our first game. We will be made mincemeat of in the CCL.

Given his legendary status, they should have done everything possible to keep him so he ended his career a Red.

We won't see his like again, ever. Maybe they will bring a good player in, maybe it will be a flop, or maybe its just a smokescreen, but this is the end of the "why cant we be the best" era.

As supporters, we need to make a statement that is heard clearly. or we will be treated like our dreams and hopes don't matter and that they can simply put a budget team on the field.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 01-31-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry Seba fans, but I saw this coming. Giovinco's 2018 season peaked with the CCL (and had he come through in the final -second leg, he could have had a new contract, but he did have a tendency to not come through in big games, he might have sealed his TFC fate then).
    imho Giovinco in 2018 proved that he needed VV and Jozy to play at top form, his emotional outbursts were too often (remember the red card in New England?) and that making the playoffs seemed to be the goal of Osorio not Giovinco.
    Bradley says there were too many agendas in TFC land last year. Now both vdW and Giovinco have taken their agendas with them to other pastures.
    I am far more eager to see what acquisitions are ahead of us (if Ciman replaces Hagglund/Moor or better-positive move, need somebody in VV am role and now a critical need for a striker).
    I cheered Seba Giovinco many a night, was proud of him and will always cherish his sparkling contributions. But felt by last August that TFC would be wiser to move him than resign him...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    personally i really don't give a flying f@$K - MLSE can shut the F up - Seba should have retired in Toronto and helped to build a legacy.

That means more than the immediate ROI unless MLSE didn't believe in the long-term project - PERIOD

I'm so disappointed...
    I am disappointed as much as any TFC supporter, however, the bolded statement is such a Hockey/North American statement, just my initial thought on the statement. It to me does not apply in the Football world.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts

• Team got more then most would for a 32 year old
    • Sad day
    • Sounds like a pretty typical "I am not getting what I want" European style transfer
    • there is some sort of a budget TFC has to stick within (DP's are not unlimited in salary)
    • we were not going to pay him $7 mill next season
    • Seba left for the difference between $4-5 million over 3 years & whatever he is getting paid in Saudi Arabia for 5
    • Team seems to have its recruiting in order and had its target
    • Of course the current players are sad - Seba was a large driving force for that team for 4 years
    • KJ has a good article last night on Seba's legacy - Seba willed us to the CCL final and almost made history with us
    • Sucks he left without us being able to say goodbye
    • His family will live off of this for their whole lives - this is a good thing
    • He was is and forever will be the GOAT

&

till I die means TFC without Seba

We run again in less then 3 weeks. I look forward to what will be because that's what this game is about - memories of what was and looking forward to what the next game can bring.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    He 'would have accepted less to stay in Toronto'.

So then what was the sticking point? The length of the contract? I don't get it.

This really seems like it's all about the money.
    I was thinking the same. It is like when I am dealing with my kids trying to figure out who is telling the truth. Both have their side of the story and like my kids I won't be happy with either one of them until someone tells the truth and unfortunately for the one telling the truth they get dragged down and look bad because of the other until the truth comes out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh well what’s done is done. Time to turn our attention to the Canadian premier league......in serious everyone get on board!!!! Built for Canadian!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since the beginning I’ve been a TFC fan not a SSH but once or twice a season we would go see a game do financial issues 3 years ago we finally got out seasons and watching Gio and Altidore together was magical there chemistry was incredible and then VV came along and it was out of this world I’m so sad that only Altodore is left and maybe not for very long I have hope that they have a plan and we just have to wait I’m just really saddened that we aren’t able to give Seba and VV a proper send off

In sports money talks these are 2 players that as teenagers had big ambitions and were lined up to be big Barca and Juvi players but for different reasons that never transpired so they are in a position to cash in as much as possible

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Thoughts

• Team got more then most would for a 32 year old
    • Sad day
    • Sounds like a pretty typical "I am not getting what I want" European style transfer
    • there is some sort of a budget TFC has to stick within (DP's are not unlimited in salary)
    • we were not going to pay him $7 mill next season
    • Seba left for the difference between $4-5 million over 3 years & whatever he is getting paid in Saudi Arabia for 5
    • Team seems to have its recruiting in order and had its target
    • Of course the current players are sad - Seba was a large driving force for that team for 4 years
    • KJ has a good article last night on Seba's legacy - Seba willed us to the CCL final and almost made history with us
    • Sucks he left without us being able to say goodbye
    • His family will live off of this for their whole lives - this is a good thing
    • He was is and forever will be the GOAT

&

till I die means TFC without Seba

We run again in less then 3 weeks. I look forward to what will be because that's what this game is about - memories of what was and looking forward to what the next game can bring.
    I am sceptical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE must retire his jersey and hang it on the wall immediately.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    MLSE must retire his jersey and hang it on the wall immediately.
    Doesn't happen in footy. Should the team play without a #10?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Annoying news is all over Seba leaving yet when we was winning everything they hardly gave TFC any air time. Ugh !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many players in this league have had a $28M contract?

Answer: two. Beckham and Seba. Tim Leiweke wandered into our world for a couple of years, and stayed just long enough to rifle the safe for us.

Suits will be suits.

The real wonder is how our little soccer team ever got someone like Seba in his prime at all.

Heartfelt thank you is owed to Leiweke from all of us.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I am sceptical.
    If they get a DP in his prime from a well known European team - that's the same criteria as Seba at Juve. Now, if its just a Canadian/US guy wanting back, that's a come down from what we had. If its a guy who was in the situation Seba was in, that's establishing an identity seperate from the Atlanta approach - I'd take that.

We'll see.

But, they seem to have an idea of what they wanted and the targets to go get.

If the past is anything to go by, we should start to hear the rumours of who this target is this weekend. IF they have him locked up, the signing would be Tuesday.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 01-31-2019 at 08:00 AM.