Page 83 of 191 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793133183 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,490 of 5725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck Seba. You're going to eat that league alive with barely any effort but you will miss Toronto. Saudi Arabia is an awful place to live but money is money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Getting word Toronto FC has acquired @TBoyd91 from Darmstadt in German second flight. Awaiting additional details or any official word. #tfc #mls

Well it’s all better now.
    is that a fact

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terrance Boyd essentially lost three seasons of his career to injury. He has been heathy of late, playing in the German 2nd division, so I would take a wait and see approach with him. Figure he is a TAM target.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Here's my thoughts.

It's fair of Giovinco to demand a similar salary as his first deal. Arguably the best-performing player in league history. If he wants $7 million a year again, he can just point and say "look what I've done".

It's fair for Toronto FC to feel like they should offer something more in the $4 to $5 million range. He's 32 and while still a great player, figures to slowly decline over the next few years. We need to sign players based on what they can do, not what they've done.

So this feels sort of like the inevitable conclusion.

The biggest shame here is Giovinco deserved a proper send off. Not scoring a goal in garbage time of the last game of the season when we've already been eliminated. He transformed the club more than any player probably ever will. It's a true shame that it ends like this. Absolutely brilliant player. I doubt any player matches his 2015 season especially for a long time.

I think we did fine with the fee. $2 to $3 million for a 32 year old with a contract that's about to expire is fine.

I'll echo the statements about needing to hear from Manning and Curtis about where this team is going. Altidore is 100% leaving within the year, I think there's zero doubt about that now. I want to hear what the plan is. It's hard not to draw comparisons to Curtis gutting the Red Bulls. I would hope MLSE is still onboard with spending in the top 25% of the league, if not the highest by a wide margin like we have in recent years.

Pretty much nailed my sentiments on the head --- trying to explain the contract thing to my daughter and it was pretty much the same thing --- Giovinco is right in trying to seek out the best contract or lifestyle choice that works from him and his family; the team is right in saying we aren't going to pay you what is an exorbitantly large salary by MLS standards especially at age 32 and beyond (is he worth that much more than Martinez or Almiron got paid last year?! - of course those are lightning in a bottle examples (like getting Vasquez as a TAM player); but can I blame MLSE for saying why can't we find great DP's for $3-$4M who are younger, and not the $7-8M that Seba and Jozy are asking for in their 30s?! - I'm not saying it's easy to be Atlanta and get high performing DP's who are paid relatively little in relation to what they delivered (or else everyone would do it) - but clearly any business would look at that model and say there is a way to win and pay less money (or use the NYRB academy model) than why shouldn't we try that?) - again if we paid him $8M for the next five years and his performance diminished people would be pissed at the contract preventing the team from moving forward, if he left and we got nothing in October, people would be pissed, if he moped around all season because he was pissed about his contract status, people would be pissed....there is no answer where the fans would be happy unless Gio said he would play for a short term deal for relatively speaking, a paycut....and why would he agree to that?

As a fan - we cheer for laundry (as Seinfeld used to say) ----obviously when it's not my money I can very easily say - have a $25M payroll (heck make it $30M?!) - damn the costs just spend and win (I do believe that spending will help winning but it's no guarantee as lots of luck and health is required too) -- but let's be fair to ownership here, they were paying almost double (and sometimes more than double) the salary of almost every team in the league save for the Galaxy and NYCFC -- that's not an outrageous notion for the ownership to say can we spend $15-$20 Million and still be a top 3 payroll team and contend....and some of us are paying $20-$25 or so a ticket (as long time STH in the Supporters Sections and Light Grays) for the last few years which is less than lots of other fans pay in other cities to support far less expensive teams --- it's a business, for the team and for the players; for the fans it's an emotional investment, and emotionally this hurts as Seba was the shining light of this team for the last number of years....

--- But we are Supporters on this Board, and we will Support, if any group of MLS supporters can handle adversity it's this one, we watched 8 years of crap and we survived, we were taken to the most painful of championship losses and we survived, we saw the top of the mountain and we were overjoyed, we again saw heartbreak in April and disappointment in 2018 and we survived, and we will survive this too.....the band-wagon will empty (as it always does when teams aren't as successful or popular players leave - see Blue Jays post 2016) and hopefully those of us that were there before the glory will still be there to start the process again with new Reds that we will grow to love over time too ---- or is everyone magically now becoming STH for the Forge and York 9?!.....I am way closer to York than I am to BMO and I'm not abandoning TFC yet - I guess we will see if others feel the same way in April....I guess one upside is it will be easier to get a table at Joe's this season.....
    Last edited by tfcfans; 01-30-2019 at 10:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    Is this a joke, no way he comes close to Giovinco
    Yes it was a joke. Well the signing is real, the part of it all being better was the joke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boyd is the Ricketts replacement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    "2-3 Million" will turn out to be 2.1 million or something like that - hardly enough to bring in a Seba replacement. And Manning has repeatedly said that it was steady as you goes with a few additions. The Ciman signing supported the truth of that statement. I find it very difficult to believe that there is a plan B. But if they get Mata from Man U or someone of that skill level I'll agree I'm wrong. Seba was a once in a lifetime aquisition and either management lost control of the situation or they weren't telling us the truth. Or both. I'm slowly getting furious about how this was handled and the result.
    Reading the article on the G&M, it feels like we’ve been blindsided by the realities of the international marketplace. I would feel better about this if the club put out the message from the get-go that they were willing to deal but only at a fair price.

Instead, in the absence of a narrative, it looks like we intended to have him play out his contract only to have our hand forced in coming back to the table. Once that happened we were (potentially) on the back foot and put up a decent offer but one that was poorly received given our initial stubbornness.

And so my fear in all this is not that Giovinco is leaving (as much as he will be missed). It’s that our management team is naive and thinks in the mindset of a small-market MLS team where these sorts of considerations never come to the forefront.

Maybe someone can refresh my memory but Leiweke certainly made sure Gio was in the picture prior to jettisoning Defoe. What’s our plan here? Lean on a dumpster fire of an academy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wrote my rep explained wasn't happy with lack of communication , transparency and not follow in the mantra being the best.same said most likely will cancel tickets.

This on top of issues didn't even bring up with my rep such as my seat being broken, and not fixed for 3 weeks and had to walk down with beers to get customer service to get the chair fixed

Glad I was able to get a picture, Jersey signing and 3 pictures signed .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't there a Sturridge to MLS rumour a few weeks ago, I'd be okay with that as a seba replacement

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a sad way to end it. In terms of significance this comparable to the when De Rosario came and left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Reading the article on the G&M, it feels like we’ve been blindsided by the realities of the international marketplace. I would feel better about this if the club put out the message from the get-go that they were willing to deal but only at a fair price.

Instead, in the absence of a narrative, it looks like we intended to have him play out his contract only to have our hand forced in coming back to the table. Once that happened we were (potentially) on the back foot and put up a decent offer but one that was poorly received given our initial stubbornness.

And so my fear in all this is not that Giovinco is leaving (as much as he will be missed). It’s that our management team is naive and thinks in the mindset of a small-market MLS team where these sorts of considerations never come to the forefront.

Maybe someone can refresh my memory but Leiweke certainly made sure Gio was in the picture prior to jettisoning Defoe. What’s our plan here? Lean on a dumpster fire of an academy?
    Being blindsided by this is exactly what I was afraid of. Likely no DP coming in the winter window then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God bless that little Italian! He came to the worst club in MLS history and turned us into the best in the league. I will miss him terribly, but wish him nothing but the best.

In 30 years I will remember what it felt like to watch him score. He's the kind of player you tell your kids about.

Sad day in TFC land.

But as always, Toronto till I die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was hoping Bradley would have gone first. This would be my choice in saving money. BAD MOVE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Being blindsided by this is exactly what I was afraid of. Likely no DP coming in the winter window then.
    I think they should have forseen at least some potential for this and should’ve had a list of targets read. Instead we’re starting a season minus our best two attacking players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minimal deal? Thank fuck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Its a sad way to end it. In terms of significance this comparable to the when De Rosario came and left.
    This is way bigger. What did Dero accomplish here?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    Wrote my rep explained wasn't happy with lack of communication , transparency and not follow in the mantra being the best.same said most likely will cancel tickets.

This on top of issues didn't even bring up with my rep such as my seat being broken, and not fixed for 3 weeks and had to walk down with beers to get customer service to get the chair fixed

Glad I was able to get a picture, Jersey signing and 3 pictures signed .
    I feel for the reps, what the fuck can they do in this situation other than tow the company line.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post

Seba who?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got off the air. As @KristianJack says in this interview, sources tell him #TFCLive are lining up a move for a very good player from a very good club. Have a listen Much to play out here. Stay tuned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post

well thats one german/american,wonder if we are getting the other german/american in Fabian johnson?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aside from the Boyd signing I am hearing Toronto FC are very close to signing a designated player in his prime that they are hoping to announce & finalize within the next week. Aside from that they also have $1.5m TAM that they will use to bring in other players. #tfclive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    well thats one german/american,wonder if we are getting the other german/american in Fabian johnson?
    People are saying that he is the Rickkets replacement

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    Aside from the Boyd signing I am hearing Toronto FC are very close to signing a designated player in his prime that they are hoping to announce & finalize within the next week. Aside from that they also have $1.5m TAM that they will use to bring in other players. #tfclive
    That’s from Kristian Jack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd have rather had Ricketts, at least he was a consistent Canuck happy in his sub role. Boyd hasn't been relative in 4 years. Hopefully he proved me wrong and can stay healthy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At this point, I almost prefer a complete tear down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we sign another Midfielder does this mean Bradley is expendable, we dont need 2 DPs in the same part of the field

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boyd is a good no risk signing. He was 'the next big American striker in Europe' while Leipzig was coming up. He is no Giovinco obviously but has the potential to be a lot better than Ricketts was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    If we sign another Midfielder does this mean Bradley is expendable, we dont need 2 DPs in the same part of the field
    fabian johnson is a rb /winger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of pressure on Jozy now to stay healthy. He has never been so important. A lot of goals to be replaced with Seba gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC announced today that forward Sebastian Giovinco has been sold to Saudi Arabian side, Al-Hilal FC of the Saudi Professional League.
    “I’d like to thank the fans and my teammates for four special years playing for Toronto FC,” said Sebastian Giovinco. “I’d also like to thank the club for helping me as I transition into the next phase of my career.”
    Giovinco, 32, originally joined Toronto FC on January 19, 2015 from Juventus, of Italy’s Serie A. In four seasons with TFC, Giovinco made 142 appearances with 83 goals and 64 assists across all competitions (MLS, MLS Cup Playoffs, Concacaf Champions League, Canadian Championship and Campeones Cup). He was part of Toronto FC’s 2017 “Treble” winning side, won two additional Canadian Championships (2016, 2018), two Eastern Conference Championships (2016, 2017) and reached the final of the 2018 Concacaf Champions League. In 2015, his first season with TFC, Giovinco won the Landon Donovan MLS MVP award along with the MLS Golden Boot and MLS Newcomer of the Year. He was named to the MLS Best XI three times (2015, 2016, 2017), and was an MLS All-Star four times (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018). Additionally, Giovinco was the George Gross Memorial Trophy winner (2017), the 2018 Concacaf Champions League Golden Ball winner and was named to both the Concacaf and Concacaf Champions League Best XI in 2018.
    “Seba is any GM’s dream. Coming into the organization, I was really excited to work with him and get to know him as a person and as a player,” said Toronto FC General Manager Ali Curtis. “We believe in consistency, so this transfer hits hard in a lot of places. I have so much respect for Sebastian as a player and what he has meant to the organization. His departure presents both challenges and opportunities. Obviously, replacing a player like Sebastian is difficult, but we are working diligently and are confident that we will be adding a new Designated Player in the near future who will be an exciting addition to our team.”
    Giovinco departs as Toronto FC’s all-time leading goal scorer across all competitions with 83 goals and a number of club and league records.
    “This was an extremely emotional transaction for our club. We’d like to thank Seba for all he did for TFC during his time with the club. He gave our fans many thrilling moments during his four years, especially during our championship season in 2017,” said Toronto FC President Bill Manning. “He leaves Toronto as the greatest player in club history. We wish Seba and his family nothing but the best as he begins a new chapter.”

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/0...ld-al-hilal-fc