Page 79 of 191 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389129179 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,370 of 5725
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a ton of respect for the 1500 Seattle hardcores who came here twice, and there is probably a similarly sized group in every MLS city, but I am pretty comfortable saying that teams filling NFL stadiums at $10 a seat and playing on AstroTurf is not that compelling a model to me as a lover of the game. Just feels like an extension of the “babysitting” culture in youth soccer.

I am not talking about filling the stadium, I'm talking about the places that really have, say, 15K dedicated fans who really care, know the players, know the league, have footy DNA, know the songs, know world football...
    Last edited by ensco; 01-30-2019 at 09:27 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlanta has started a great base to work from but the "we are the bestest ever" thing started in their first ever preseason game and has not stopped. I would not trade our situation for theirs for all the TAM in the Garber Savings & Loan.

Seba is supposed to come back to camp today. We'll see if there is any news.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I am not talking about filling the stadium, I'm talking about the places that really have, say, 15K dedicated fans who really care, know the players, know the league, have footy DNA, know the songs, know world football...
    And what's your metric on that for us being among the 'best' and having more of those than teams like Atlanta and Seattle?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Giovinco really wants to go to Saudi then it's a done deal. If not now then in six months. The Saudi's seem to be willing to pay any amount of money for players in an attempt to be relevant. They're trying to position themselves with the the big 4-5 leagues ahead of the world cup. Just because they pay high salaries doesn't mean they're at the same level of competitiveness but they're trying to buy relevancy. It won't be sustainable once the world cup is done and the eyes are no longer on them.

Now if Gio wants the $10 million pay cheque then he should go for it. (I wouldn't take my young family there.) There's no way we should be paying him that amount or the current amount he's getting paid beyond his current contract. Two months ago we were all talking that it would be great to get Jozy and Seba on TAM contracts in 2020. Clearly that's not going to happen. We need to think long term. In two years the contract that Seba is asking for will be a weight around our necks that pulls the team down. I don't want to see Seba go as he brings so much to this team but what will be the long term price of keeping him.

As for CCL this year, I'm holding no hope. There's no talk of replacements for VDW or Vazquez. Why? They've had time to get something in the works. Between missing these two players and the Seba Jozy distractions it can't be good for team chemistry.

Credit to Michael who's clearly focused on the soccer.
    Last edited by Jack; 01-30-2019 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Format made it hard to read

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    And what's your metric on that for us being among the 'best' and having more of those than teams like Atlanta and Seattle?
    I have been to a game in Seattle. It's striking. They know one stupid song they sing over and over. Most of the crowd didn't seem to understand the offside rule. The whole thing is off, if you know soccer culture.

Atlanta, I haven’t been, so I should wait until I go, but I have my suspicions.

Price you pay has a huge impact on the nature of the crowd.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the Star article on the Giovinco stuff on Tuesday "a club spokesman said Monday that Giovinco’s agent had asked to take the forward to a doctor in Los Angeles “to evaluate some leg tension he’s been experiencing.”". Are we going to see Giovinco's agent assessing all his injuries instead of the TFC physio staff going forward or only this one? Haha. Can't wait for this to be decided so we can move forward.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another pretty interesting comparable is Benatia from Juve to Qatar. His salary I cannot find anywhere, but it was a competitive process, big EPL clubs like Arsenal and Man Utd were interested. The transfer price has a conditional element, minimum 8M euros but could be 10M

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-club-in-qatar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don’t count the Chinese out here. They are doing serious hunting in Italy right now, so far unsuccessfully

A club there is apparently offering 50-60M euros for either Bellotti or Immobile

https://gianlucadimarzio.com/it/calc...mmobile-dalian

https://www.gazzetta.it/Calciomercat...95444_amp.html

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the January transfer deadline fast approaching for a lot of Europe I am sure we will hear something soon for Gregory, Seba etc. The Saudi deadline is a few days after so it’s going to be interesting times. I do wonder where vdW will end up?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    There's talk in this thread of people abandoning the team and us struggling to be at half capacity next season if we sell Seba because we'll 'only' still be near or at the top of wage spend in the league, 'only' have one of the better squads in the league and are a full one season removed from winning the treble (and not even a year removed from making the CL final) and being arguably the best team MLS has ever seen

Let's not break our arms patting ourselves on the back for how we have the 'best' fans compared to a team like Seattle that's drawn 35k+ every year since their inception. That's even ignoring the fact that 'best' fans is something you cannot possible measure and will always be 100% clouded by personal bias
    Where is this talk of abandoning the team? There are very real concerns that the good will accumulated the previous 3 years will evaporate because the stars of this team are either gone, on their way or unhappy and that the stadium won't be as lively and an "event" that gets it packed to 27k .

Were you around since 2007? If you were you'd understand this PTSD is valid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InDa_110 View Post
    Depends on what you mean by "competitive". Competitive and a winning team with extraordinary talent to sell out the stadium are not the same. They cannot afford to just be competitive.
    As in being in the playoffs every year and in the running to win the league. Clubs with far bigger pockets and global renown have a hard time gathering the right kind of extraordinary talent so putting that kind of onus on TFC is quite simply unreasonable. What we cannot afford is to have the highest wage bill in the league and not be in the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly with the restructuring of the playoffs the least competitive this team should ever be is in a playoff place. With the ideal being competing for a title on all three fronts: MLS, Voyageurs and CCL.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't we have anyone with roller blades in the LA area? Would be nice to know if Seba is back at practice today...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 pages of chat about DP moves, rumors of who might be leaving, players who has left, specualting how we will use our accumulated TAM and GAM....but not one player linked to the team.

This off-season is dreadful, and were 2 weeks away from the season opener.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    10 pages of chat about DP moves, rumors of who might be leaving, players who has left, specualting how we will use our accumulated TAM and GAM....but not one player linked to the team.

MLS window opens February 13. Maybe they're keeping leaks tight now as any news could have an effect on other deals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tfc2 playing in cali today,who is jesus west?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Our savior.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Our savior.
    good one i put that one on a silva plata for you...dorsey scores for tfc 2 jus in case anybody wants to talk about players on this thread
    Last edited by reggie; 01-30-2019 at 01:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good one i put that one on a silva plata for you...dorsey scores for tfc 2 jus in case anybody wants to talk about players on this thread
    served with a side of Freis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is he nailed on?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks like tfc have a couple of american keepers in camp Charlie Lyon andEric Klenofsky ,sorry im jus bored

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post

Ditto. Getting really impatient. Usually we will hear something from the other teams reporter on TFC looking to buy a player. Other than that twitter account that was leaking stuff for 7 days, then disappeared, we haven’t heard anything. Not having these guys training with the team (including our DP’s) is very frustrating. Couldn’t imagine how frustrated the training staff is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this is credible site? Anybody know?

https://soccerexaminer.com/breaking-...ve-toronto-fc/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

got this from the voyageurs site,Rumors have surfaced that Algerian international Sofiane Hanni, of Spartak Moscow, has been linked with an MLS move.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice updated pic of BMO field they used. How hard would have been to find a current pic....also reading this article it feels very amateurish writing. But the jist of it is whether the bit about the transfer being done is true. I can't see after all this that the transfer fee would only be $1M. Sounds pretty unbelievable.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Is he nailed on?
    you took it too far right there. i suggest deleting

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never heard of it and if we are to believe we shot down their first offer, just how low was it?

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Looks like it's this guy's website. He's been fanning rumours on twitter, but I don't know how well-connected he is.
    https://twitter.com/AlexMascitti
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 million? If true fire that whole front office.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And this is the article author
    https://twitter.com/CatenaccioNA
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy