Page 7 of 191 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    Vanney wanting to setup with 4-3-3 next season so looking to bring in some true wingers who could get by their man out wide.
    I did think it was telling we lined up in a 4-3-3 at the end of the season. Maybe Vanney feels the 3-5-2 has grown stale or too predictable.

I don't think we have the right personnel exactly to play it though. I'm very skeptical of playing Giovinco as a winger. He could drop to CAM, but then we only get one of Vazquez and him on the field. He could play as a false 9, but then where does Altidore (or a potential replacement striker) play?

If I'm guessing right now I think it might be something Vanney wants to incorporate for flexibility when we have injuries and absences, but not necessarily the go-to look with a full squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I did think it was telling we lined up in a 4-3-3 at the end of the season. Maybe Vanney feels the 3-5-2 has grown stale or too predictable.

I don't think we have the right personnel exactly to play it though. I'm very skeptical of playing Giovinco as a winger. He could drop to CAM, but then we only get one of Vazquez and him on the field. He could play as a false 9, but then where does Altidore (or a potential replacement striker) play?

If I'm guessing right now I think it might be something Vanney wants to incorporate for flexibility when we have injuries and absences, but not necessarily the go-to look with a full squad.
    If the Altidore replacement isn't Janson (which I think it will be) then it'll be a DP winger I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Waking the Red article has promise. Allan Singh writes that Seba Giovinco may be the winger that TFC needs and the search would be for another striker to pair with Altidore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    I think the Waking the Red article has promise. Allan Singh writes that Seba Giovinco may be the winger that TFC needs and the search would be for another striker to pair with Altidore.
    Is Giovinco okay with tracking back? If not, this setup is less likely to work.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Is Giovinco okay with tracking back? If not, this setup is less likely to work.
    Over the past year and a half he's been doing a lot more than the other star forwards in MLS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe Vanney feels the 3-5-2 has grown stale or too predictable.
    It has

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The diamond is even more stale & predictable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The diamond is even more stale & predictable.
    The encouraging thing is Vanney recognizes his tactics have been found out. Teams clogged up the middle forcing them to work the ball wide were their wingback personnel Morrow,Auro, Morgan,Chapman,VDW ... etc are not so good at dribbling past opponent and whipping in crosses.

Excited to see something different.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney said what he said because it's a way of pointing out that the team is getting older, and they need to upgrade youth/speed in depth positions.

But I don’t think he really believes that formation was the core issue. In my opinion formation talk is always wildly overrated. You want in game flexibility and the ability to show different looks, which we had last year.

We got “found out” because guys like Zavaleta and Auro didn’t make plays like Mavinga and Morrow did. The issue in 2018 was injuries.

If we had had our guys we would have been fine.

Good decisions on who can recover, who will remain fragile, who can be counted on, are far and away the most important offseason task.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-09-2018 at 06:52 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are exempt from losing anyone at Expansion Draft!!

https://www.mlssoccer.com/media-reso...n-draft-rules/
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, that's very good for us. Key dates to keep in mind for TFC now are:

- Nov. 26: Deadline to announce our roster decisions re: contract options and players out of contract. Could come sooner than this (the Revolution have already announced theirs)
    - Dec. 9: Trade window open for the first half of the day
    - Dec. 10: MLS releases list of available Free Agents, signing period starts on the 11th
    - Dec. 14: Re-Entry Draft Stage 1 (selected players must have their existing option salary picked up or be offered a similar salary as their expired contract)
    - Dec. 20: Re-Entry Draft Stage 2 (selected players negotiate brand new deals)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, that's very good for us. Key dates to keep in mind for TFC now are:

- Nov. 26: Deadline to announce our roster decisions re: contract options and players out of contract. Could come sooner than this (the Revolution have already announced theirs)
    - Dec. 9: Trade window open for the first half of the day
    - Dec. 10: MLS releases list of available Free Agents, signing period starts on the 11th
    - Dec. 14: Re-Entry Draft Stage 1 (selected players must have their existing option salary picked up or be offered a similar salary as their expired contract)
    - Dec. 20: Re-Entry Draft Stage 2 (selected players negotiate brand new deals)
    Phew!

Thanks for the above, notthesun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reports in Argentina that TFC are trying to extend Jansons loan and negotiate the option price down.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    Phew!

Thanks for the above, notthesun.
    Do we know who the 11 option players are for the Reds?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Do we know who the 11 option players are for the Reds?
    I ran through the status of our roster earlier: http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...=1#post1882135

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ran through the status of our roster earlier: http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...=1#post1882135
    Don't every MLS contract have an option year in it? So what makes Jason Hernandez a free agent but others option pickups?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Don't every MLS contract have an option year in it? So what makes Jason Hernandez a free agent but others option pickups?
    Not the case, the players fought for and got in the last collective agreement the free agency that is mentioned in the schedule for December 10th. I forget how many years you have to have played to qualify for free agency. It is limited but was progress for the players. Nobody wants to be owned forever...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that Free Agency kicks in after a player has played 8 years in MLS *and* is at least 28 years old. They can probably negotiate it down to 7 and 27 next cycle since it hasn't had that much effect on the league. I think once it gets to 6 and 26 (maybe 5 and 25) that would be respectable for both parties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS player contracts in general are ridiculously convoluted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read somewhere that contract management was one of the reasons that Carl Robinson was fired from the Whitecaps. Brek Shea had a clause in his contract that if he played a certain number of games in his first season there he would be given a DP contract at a fixed price for the next season. Robinson brought him on as a sub in one of the last games of the season by mistake and triggered the clause.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    I read somewhere that contract management was one of the reasons that Carl Robinson was fired from the Whitecaps. Brek Shea had a clause in his contract that if he played a certain number of games in his first season there he would be given a DP contract at a fixed price for the next season. Robinson brought him on as a sub in one of the last games of the season by mistake and triggered the clause.
    There is no way that Carl wouldn't have known about that clause. Definitely wouldn't have been a mistake.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Shea is on 750K a year does seem a little suspect - after Stoke & Orlando, nobody should have been paying him DP money.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    That Shea is on 750K a year does seem a little suspect - after Stoke & Orlando, nobody should have been paying him DP money.
    Thing is US internationals coming into or back to MLS usually come in at an inflated wage. Guys would rather play here than toil say in The Championship, where the average salary is over 600,000 pounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    There is no way that Carl wouldn't have known about that clause. Definitely wouldn't have been a mistake.
    The situation there was actually that he had a clause that would auto trigger his option if he played in the playoffs, which he did. It was reported at the time that management didn't intend to keep him, but they had to after he played in the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The situation there was actually that he had a clause that would auto trigger his option if he played in the playoffs, which he did. It was reported at the time that management didn't intend to keep him, but they had to after he played in the playoffs.
    That makes much more sense than handing someone a DP based just on games played.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    That makes much more sense than handing someone a DP based just on games played.
    Both are rather odd for this league. Regardless, Lenduzzi is the Canadian Mo Johnston, continually grinding though underlings with low levels of performance and taking no real responsibility himself.

I think MDS is a good coach but question why he took a swing at this one. Somebody else would have certainly offered him a head coaching gig In the future. Why tie yourself to a cheap organization with high levels of dysfunction?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like David Villa will be available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then the question becomes; Was Robinson made aware of this clause? If so and he still subbed in Shea as a long shot then crazy dumb move. Otherwise its the GM side of things that failed.
    Last edited by SirBobSaget; 11-12-2018 at 11:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    Looks like David Villa will be available.
    If he doesn't retire then likely back to Spain.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)