Page 58 of 191 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108158 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 5725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    There's no way him and his fashionista wife go to Columbus.
    Bez should be forced to take him as a mea culpa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think there's any way Bez doubles-down on that one either. We all make professional mistakes, no need to compound them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Don't forget aketxe too. That's 2 bad TAM signings.
    He's made other failed signings too, like Kantari, Gomez, Gilberto. All of them are basically one-and-done mistakes that left no lasting damage.

This decision to ditch Beita and sign VdW put us tighter against the cap than we would've been otherwise, made the team worse as we underrated Beita's defensive ability and the importance of familiarity across the back line, and now has hurt the locker room. And we need to search for a way out of the contract, and find a replacement.

Pretty much a disaster. At least Aketxe was a luxury signing - he failed to make us better but we didn't get worse with that decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    So lets game this out.

VDW goes internally within the league - maybe but he's a risk that wage requires TAM - that might come from us.

or

VDW goes outside - doable and maybe get some $ but unlikely.

or

we use our yearly buyout (assuming we didn't use it on Aketxe)

or

he stays until the summer and we all do Kumbaya for now
    Shit this whole thing sucks. I actually didn't mind vdW on the pitch last year. Hagglund + Zavaleta w/o vdW would have been worse (once their confidence was shot). And it was nice to have someone in the back who could handle the ball & sometimes bring it forward. I remember the one Mexican team who planned to man-mark us all over the field, but obviously didn't account for a ball-handling defender, didn't know what to do with vdW once he came forward.

But yeah the demeanour seemed off at times. Obviously the dust-up is public now, won't that massively affect his value? (It would have come out anyway, also the issues that were alluded to last year: agents and scouts will know stuff like that even if the public doesn't.) He was on about $800k last year. What do people think he's worth now, in some other country? Will somebody take on his contract? I don't think anyone in MLS will be interested. And I'm not expecting a penny of transfer fees. Clearing the $800k to spend would be amazing.

Maybe the buyout option, but not great at all if upper management is planning to spend less money as we have heard. Sure you get the cap space back, but the $ are gone out the window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the new Atlanta gaffer has coached him before...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oldtraffordPEI View Post
    I was a big fan of Van der Wiel in the Ajax days. Sadly, he never lived up to my expectations here. I had very high hopes for him.

The Defoes and Van der Wiel egos wont last in a place like Toronto. Happy Vanney isn't putting up with that crap. Maybe someone in Qatar will take him, seems like he enjoyed the middle east on his insta during the off season .
    I always wondered about the signing of VDW TFC got him from Cagliari of Serie A where he often never dressed never mind play for Cagliari who was bordering on the relegation line all of last season and a player like VDW who was still in his prime wasn’t even making most game day rosters. This had my alarm bells ringing from the time TFC signed him. Then he gets here and played like soccer was the last thing on his mind . What a waste of a signing and waste of money . Get this bum out of here the sooner the better!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Well, the new Atlanta gaffer has coached him before...
    May not want to touch him as a result.
    Think we are starting to see the cracks in Bez. Still brilliant and definitely had a hand in us winning the treble but also made some shit signings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if upper management is planning to spend less money as we have heard. Sure you get the cap space back, but the $ are gone out the window.
    where did you hear that...i have not heard that once by management,its all speculation by the people on this thread

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    if upper management is planning to spend less money as we have heard. Sure you get the cap space back, but the $ are gone out the window.
    where did you hear that...i have not heard that once by management,its all speculation by the people on this thread
    There are some people in this thread who know a bit about the organization. The return hasn't been great. I'm not actually worried -- plenty of MLS clubs have shown that you can spend money more wisely and get good results. But throwing $800k per year out the window on a buyout is not money wisely spent of course. Hopefully it won't come to that. (I have no idea for how long vdW was signed.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    There are some people in this thread who know a bit about the organization. The return hasn't been great. I'm not actually worried -- plenty of MLS clubs have shown that you can spend money more wisely and get good results. But throwing $800k per year out the window on a buyout is not money wisely spent of course. Hopefully it won't come to that. (I have no idea for how long vdW was signed.)
    Pretty sure a buy out doesnt effect the cap at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fair enough...the salaries will go down by default with the dp s earning over 18 mil...i doubt that ever happens again.i think the dps will be in 10 to 14 mil range ...think VDW is on 2 and a 1 year option

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.i think the dps will be in 10 to 14 mil range
    think so too with most of that money going to transfers not wages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Yes, some actual news would be welcome...
    This was two days ago. I should have been careful what I wished for...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would think after rumblings around his time at Fenerbahçe, Cagliari, and now TFC, it's going to be extremely hard to get anything for this guy. He also has some very odd prior personal affairs (to say the least).

We'd be lucky to have someone cover his salary on our behalf and have him move on a free.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Pretty sure a buy out doesnt effect the cap at all.
    Yes that's what I mentioned above, a buyout gets you the cap space back. But I'm assuming the club (and not the league) pays for the buyout, outside the cap & out of pocket. Not good if they're trying to be more careful with money spent outside the cap.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes that's what I mentioned above, a buyout gets you the cap space back. But I'm assuming the club (and not the league) pays for the buyout, outside the cap & out of pocket. Not good if they're trying to be more careful with money spent outside the cap.
    Think when it comes to careful itll be salaries more so than day to day stuff (Ie big transfers/small salaries a la ATL)
    Also if you need to cut out cancer you do so no matter what the costs. In the long run it would cost more financially to keep him around.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prob doing VDW a favor by looking for another team rather than outright releasing him. Better optics for TFC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I would think after rumblings around his time at Fenerbahçe, Cagliari, and now TFC, it's going to be extremely hard to get anything for this guy. He also has some very odd prior personal affairs (to say the least).

We'd be lucky to have someone cover his salary on our behalf and have him move on a free.
    For sure on a free, but do you think anyone will be willing to pick up his contract for $800k a year? I'm afraid we'll have to eat part of that. Hopefully reggie is right that he's only guaranteed one more year from now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For sure on a free, but do you think anyone will be willing to pick up his contract for $800k a year? I'm afraid we'll have to eat part of that. Hopefully reggie is right that he's only guaranteed one more year from now.
    It's $700k euro or $600k GBP. If he wants to grow his off pitch brand it might be worth it to take a 2-3 year deal back in Europe for a little less a year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They should trade GVW to the LA Galaxy. G Dos Santos & Alessandrini are available. I'm sure Zlatan would be happy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW I'm not worried about what a player posts on Instagram or what he does in his free time, if he plays well and doesn't cause problems. Mavinga & lots of other players also post things. Seemed like off the field, vdW was doing well with his wife and daughter, more stable than in the past. And many players dabble with fashion or other branding stuff. With a normal footy career lasting max. 15 years, it's not bad to build up other stuff. The players only train for a couple of hours per day, and many will have agents etc. deal with most of the off field stuff.

I'll get no satisfaction out of this blowup, but if he's gotta go he's gotta go. And he might be a little right -- Vanney's job is not secure if they don't do much better than last year. I still have some doubts about Vanney, specifically regarding turning things around when they're not going well, within a game or within a season. But vdW is an ass for bringing that up publicly.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 01-23-2019 at 09:48 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the other hand, it would be so appropriate!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think he goes to Belgium..isnt his wife from belgium?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be my fear too.

I certainly appreciate Bez brought us a championship team, but a lot of the deals made last year were utter garbage and completely unsalvageable. Imagine if we had players who performed on these pay packets rather than what we got. That money could have been a lockdown CB, a quality substitute striker, additional strength in the midfield. Instead it was essentially vaporized.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    It's $700k euro or $600k GBP. If he wants to grow his off pitch brand it might be worth it to take a 2-3 year deal back in Europe for a little less a year.
    He still appears to have the skill. If he wants to play for a club, he’ll get a contract.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fitting that the last time we get to see VDW play for Toronto was last night when he was on the eSports guy's FIFA team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think he goes to Belgium..isnt his wife from belgium?
    Think theyre both Dutch.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Think theyre both Dutch.
    Gregory is, but she's from Belgium. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Bertram