Page 46 of 191 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696146 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 5725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Kinda like when the Jays had Bautista and Encarnacion looking to resign. Yes, they saved money. And then were terrible.
    Considering EE declined the Jay's offer and ended with less than what we offered they get a pass for that situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ IIRC they (Jays management) handled negotiations so poorly he basically said he’d rather take less elsewhere vs come back. Not a good look for the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so far its looking bleak for this season, if we cannot settle the DPs how are we going to be able to focus on the season, when the players will be distracted by contracts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I don’t get the “underachieved” bit, and it's starting to make me crazy. Why won’t we treat our great team with the respect it deserves?

Three finals in 18 months. Never lost. So many good teams that just don’t get it done.

BWP and Villa and Kamara and Martins and Henry and Montero and Piatti and Diaz and on and on, those guys underachieved.

These guys achieved.

We were in tough in every single playoff series and CCL tie, and we never lost.
    Totally with you. Legends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Considering EE declined the Jay's offer and ended with less than what we offered they get a pass for that situation.
    Fair enough, but my point stands - saying “they are too expensive” is easy. Replacing proven winners is hard. Very hard. Be careful what you wish for.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are you and others so adamant about shutting down a reasonable line of enquiry?

It could absolutely be a reflection on TFC, you don’t know that.

Victor was very settled here,he made public statements about how well his family settled, he signed a multi year deal only 9 months ago,

Oh and by the way the GM who signed him just quit, we have signed absolutely nobody in the offseason, and our two best players went public with their problems last night....

It may all be a blip in the road, or a coincidence. But suggesting otherwise isn’t paranoia.

If I am Seba or Jozy, this is demoralizing, at a minimum.

To some of us it's obvious why he chose this, to work for his friend Xavier. I don't believe it reflects on the club. That's my opinion. I'm allowed to have an opinion.

Nobody is shutting you down. You can believe that the club is in serious trouble with disgruntled stars if you want. You're entitled to your opinion too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Word is Martinez is set to resign with ATL for $5M/year.

With or without the Seba/Jozy salary demand rumours I think this shows you where the ceiling is in MLS. I find it hard to believe they would have asked for 8 but stranger things have happened I suppose.

Martinez is 25 - I'm not an expert by any means but I would imagine they would be very lucky to see $4M or north of that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    To some of us it's obvious why he chose this, to work for his friend Xavier. I don't believe it reflects on the club. That's my opinion. I'm allowed to have an opinion.

Nobody is shutting you down. You can believe that the club is in serious trouble with disgruntled stars if you want. You're entitled to your opinion too.
    Fair enough.

I would say that the “obvious” take is that there is trouble with the elite players on the club, and that the “contrarian” view is that VV decided to uproot his family again because he just liked Qatar/Xavi so much, or because they are throwing ludicrous money at him.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a bad sign.

Bez and VV both gone in January?

Who's next?

How is morale on this team really?

We may very well have a worse year than last season. (After champions league)...
    Last edited by InDa_110; 01-15-2019 at 10:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

dont let it bother you he has been a the sky is falling guy for like 3 years now...hmmm 4 mil ... 1mil come on man...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well said!!

Why are you and others so adamant about shutting down a reasonable line of enquiry?

It could absolutely be a reflection on TFC, you don’t know that.

Victor was very settled here,he made public statements about how well his family settled, he signed a multi year deal only 9 months ago,

Oh and by the way the GM who signed him just quit, we have signed absolutely nobody in the offseason, and our two best players went public with their problems last night....

It may all be a blip in the road, or a coincidence. But suggesting otherwise isn’t paranoia.

If I am Seba or Jozy, this is demoralizing, at a minimum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hold the presses and the paranoia for a second... Richie Laryea canadian is in camp,,now back to regular scheduled paranoia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InDa_110 View Post
    This is a bad sign.

Bez and VV both gone in January?

Who's next?

How is morale on this team really?

We may very well have a worse year than last season. (After champions league)...
    The whole thing doesn’t feel right to me, especially after seeing that interview with Jozy and Seba. Feels like something is up with the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy who broke basically everything this off season (who is this guy?) now says:

There will be no direct replacement for VV. Two new players will be acquired at low-mid TAM level. A 10 and a Winger.

If that’s true, I guess we’re starting to shop in South America?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Guy who broke basically everything this off season (who is this guy?) now says:

There will be no direct replacement for VV. Two new players will be acquired at low-mid TAM level. A 10 and a Winger.

If that’s true, I guess we’re starting to shop in South America?
    wouldnt a #10 be a replacement for VV

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I note that under Bez, leaks like we saw the last few days did not happen.

Somebody is leaking information & it sounds like its from within the organization. I suspect its somebody not happy with the Curtis hire. Whomever that is, I am darn sure Manning is not happy with the tone of what was going on today.

When MLSE finds out who is dealing intel, and they will, the leaks are going to stop and that somebody is going to be out of a job.

As much as I like to hear information, what we are seeing of late is not exactly good information for an organization to get out there. And, it seems to be from a certain perspective. So, somebody is not happy. This does not bode well for an organization about to go into a player transition.

The Front Office has to get its shit together. Pull as one or get the hell out.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 01-15-2019 at 11:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there are leaks everywhere look at the whitehouse lol.i think we have a small and lazy bunch of jurnos that rarely break any news and dont like to dig up dirt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morale is extremely important, without a team will never succeed at championship, whether its contracts for our DPs; players leaving or Management giving up on us; i hope to be wrong but im going to say we will be missing the playoffs come the fall

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    I think there are leaks everywhere look at the whitehouse lol.i think we have a small and lazy bunch of jurnos that rarely break any news and dont like to dig up dirt.
    This, but also trust me the club has been doing a great job of keeping things off social media and public eye on their end. This is definetly out of character and further suggests that the club may be facing internal issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you VV for your time here. But this is a beauty in disguise.

Gio should move into his free roam number 10 position, (which i felt was a negative to TFCs tactics of having essentially 3 central strikers) and we'll get a new TAM striker and TAM winger (who i think is Janson)...

All in all i think we'll be alright, the real issue (not Seba and Jozy DP contracts) is getting MB off his DP contract.

I see mentions of a 3rd CB, I wont be surprised if we dont get another one, without one leaving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    Thank you VV for your time here. But this is a beauty in disguise.

Gio should move into his free roam number 10 position, (which i felt was a negative to TFCs tactics of having essentially 3 central strikers) and we'll get a new TAM striker and TAM winger (who i think is Janson)...

All in all i think we'll be alright, the real issue (not Seba and Jozy DP contracts) is getting MB off his DP contract.

I see mentions of a 3rd CB, I wont be surprised if we dont get another one, without one leaving.
    Yeah, looks like that's how it will go, which really won't be too bad. I like Jansen; I think he can do well this year in this kind of system.

If it's not him, I hope it's someone with a proven track record and not another reclamation project.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't care if they blow it up and sell Gio/MB/Jozy and I don't care (and would even like) if they keep them all at reasonable contracts.

What I would hate is being indecisive about the direction of the team. Treading water in sports is the worst thing you can possibly do. You go all in or rebuild in my opinion.

Shapiro/Jays are an example of treading water. The Leafs are a team that actually got it right.

I hope we can trust Manning to manage our new direction but the guy I had the most confidence in was Tim Lewiekie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Somebody is leaking information & it sounds like its from within the organization. I suspect its somebody not happy with the Curtis hire. Whomever that is, I am darn sure Manning is not happy with the tone of what was going on today.

When MLSE finds out who is dealing intel, and they will, the leaks are going to stop and that somebody is going to be out of a job.

As much as I like to hear information, what we are seeing of late is not exactly good information for an organization to get out there. And, it seems to be from a certain perspective. So, somebody is not happy. This does not bode well for an organization about to go into a player transition.

The Front Office has to get its shit together. Pull as one or get the hell out.
    This is a good point. They may not find out though.

Long timers here may recall my hilarious encounters with Tom Anselmi and Paul Beirne as they frantically tried to figure out who was spilling.

It's not just about the leaks though. They have been too cute for too long here. Manning has to stop ducking basic questions around direction. This is management 101. Set the tone, or someone will set it for you.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-16-2019 at 07:32 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

\
    Maxi Calcio was providing leaked info before Bez left (Ciman)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did everyone notice this yesterday? I thought all had seen it, but looking back through last couple of pages, maybe not, normally this would be worth 10 pages on its own ...

Seba piled on right after the VV news to say he has a “serious” suitor

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toro...r-club/sn-amp/
    Last edited by ensco; 01-16-2019 at 07:35 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

..Manning has to stop ducking basic questions around direction. This is management 101. Set the tone, or someone will set it for you.
    The discussion often is "well we have a defined way we want to play & do things in a certain way"

OK, what is it? For most of us, this team has been defined by Seba & Bradley & by Bez. Minus Bez, what is it that makes TFC TFC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Kinda like when the Jays had Bautista and Encarnacion looking to resign. Yes, they saved money. And then were terrible.
    Bautista and Encarnacion also became terrible right after that. It wasn't that they went cheap, they didn't want to give 5 year big money deals to 35 year olds. They offered shorter term extensions (4 years to edwin, which he declined and a 1 year+option to Bautista which he eventually accepted - as NO TEAM IN THE MLB wanted to sign him, but played so poorly they declined the option). We would've been terrible with or without them, but better to be terrible and have kids gain experience

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The discussion often is "well we have a defined way we want to play & do things in a certain way"

OK, what is it? For most of us, this team has been defined by Seba & Bradley & by Bez. Minus Bez, what is it that makes TFC TFC?
    The course was set by Leiweke. That was five years ago and everybody has been executing the 2014 strategy since. Did a great job of it, too.

But they waited at least six months too long here to communicate the next five year plan. If they are going to a $15M payroll, they should have said it by now. They should have moved or re-signed Seba and Jozy by now. The one guy they gave a bit of security to left anyway.

I think there is still time to fix it, but I am suspicious that the plan is to have no plan until end of 2019. Just play out all the Leiweke cards and then see. But it won’t work, the room will be chaos. May already be.

MLSE probably has a big corporate planning cycle that Manning is baked into, so it's not like he can just respond to vision questions based on news flow.

The Bez thing didn’t help, it's fuel for the fire.

Manning has screwed this up, and probably can’t address it quickly or easily now.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-16-2019 at 08:19 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The course was set by Leiweke. That was five years ago and everybody has been executing the 2014 strategy since. Did a great job of it, too.

But they waited at least six months too long here to communicate the next five year plan. If they are going to a $15M payroll, they should have said it by now. They should have moved or re-signed Seba and Jozy by now. The one guy they gave a bit of security to left anyway.

I think there is still time to fix it, but I am suspicious that the plan is to have no plan until end of 2019. Just play out all the Leiweke cards and then see. But it won’t work, the room will be chaos. May already be.

MLSE probably has a big corporate planning cycle that Manning is baked into, so it's not like he can just respond to vision questions based on news flow.

The Bez thing didn’t help, it's fuel for the fire.

Manning has screwed this up, and probably can’t address it quickly or easily now.
    I am guessing you are right on all counts but of course we are only on the outside looking in so hopefully things are actually better than the current way it is looking. Scary thing is if going off the rails....Manning isn't new to this so how could this slip. Unless MLSE put Manning on this much shorter leash than TL had so his hands are tied? Getting a good cohesive locker room was the key to our success. Hard to do if so many personal agendas and uncertainty looming all season. Well in the end it is their job to fix it and make me want to spend my hard earned money on seeing this team in person. Let's see what they do.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Did everyone notice this yesterday? I thought all had seen it, but looking back through last couple of pages, maybe not, normally this would be worth 10 pages on its own ...

Seba piled on right after the VV news to say he has a “serious” suitor

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toro...r-club/sn-amp/
    This isn't even close to the first time Seba's tires have been kicked. Given it's the final year of his contract, this smacks of pressure tactics to me. It's a "shit or get off the pot" message to TFC. My feeling is that Manning is getting off the pot with our DPs, whether due to financial pressure or because they want to build a new roster with younger players, I'm not yet sure. Any moves in either direction will become apparent over the course of this season as we line up for the end of the Big Three's contracts (either by re-signing, or letting them walk).
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy