Page 45 of 191 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595145 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 5725
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    The guy who broke everything (Ciman, Bez, Vasquez) is saying Gio and Altidore are asking for 8 million a piece. What drugs are these guys? Altidore asking to paid double after being injured a season? Gio has his worst statical season during the season, and asking for raise? No wonder this at a stalemate. If they hold those numbers, they’re both gone. I think TFC would be willing to pay Gio 4-5 million a season.
    I hope that is not true. If it is, I agree with this. If that is the ask, I would move them now.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Why are you and others so adamant about shutting down a reasonable line of enquiry?

It could absolutely be a reflection on TFC, you don’t know that.

Victor was very settled here,he made public statements about how well his family settled, he signed a multi year deal only 9 months ago,

Oh and by the way the GM who signed him just quit, we have signed absolutely nobody in the offseason, and our two best players went public with their problems last night....

It may all be a blip in the road, or a coincidence. But suggesting otherwise isn’t paranoia.

If I am Seba or Jozy, this is demoralizing, at a minimum.
    If I'm being honest that Jozy/Seba interview was awkward AF. I certainly feel more pessimistic about things after watching it.

I may be in the minority but I would be happy to see our 3 DPs get new deals. In a media-centric city such as Toronto I'm beyond worried that this unfolds as a major distraction all year long.

In a post-Bez world I would welcome some certainty right about now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Agree they aren't idiots and that's why it makes sense. An idiot would overpay based on a name and for butts in seats. Smart people want a player that can make you win, which VV has proven in tougher leagues, regardless of how big his name is.
    No. Sorry but that is ridiculous. We love him, but Victor Vazquez is no proven winner in world football, just because we won MLS Cup.

For $4M or whatever you can get a lot more than Victor Vazquez, who hasn't ever played in a big league (sorry Victor). You can get someone who has been a regular at big teams at some point, and/or been at very good teams more recently. Someone who has been on TV regularly for years, and hasn't disappeared in Belgium or Canada.

Nani from Valencia. Sergio Canales from Real Sociedad. Coentrao from Real Madrid. Those guys just moved on frees, and those types of guys can be had for this kind of money, and they are just at a different level, market and otherwise, than VV.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-15-2019 at 05:53 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. Sorry but that is ridiculous. We love him, but Victor Vazquez is no proven winner in world football, just because we won MLS Cup.

For $4M or whatever you can get a lot more than Victor Vazquez, who hasn't ever played in a big league (sorry Victor). You can get someone who has been a regular at big teams at some point, and/or been at very good teams more recently. Someone who has been on TV regularly for years, and hasn't disappeared in Belgium or Canada.

Nani from Valencia. Sergio Canales from Real Sociedad. Coentrao from Real Madrid. Those guys just moved on frees, and those types of guys can be had for this kind of money, and they are just at a different level, market and otherwise, than VV.
    The Qatari league first off is trash so that's a sell. It's not a destination a lot of players want to go to especially with families. Qatar doesn't have free reign over choices. There's no line up to go there. You get what you get and overpay to get it. Besides Xavi is there and has pull. He came up with VV and his recommendations probably carry weight there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TRUE, but what he did for us. Try and put a $$ on that. Moving on, but that guy made us a winner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just like the best (supposed) qualification for police chief is being the right persons drinking buddy, the best qualification in this case may well be familiarity with one of the club’s stars (and future manager).

I’m not reverting to classic Toronto sports fan sky-is-falling mode yet.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah you don't need huge superstars to be successful. If the player is great then they will be a superstar after they prove it.

As for their accumulation of $600-$700K players, they got a heap of start up allocation money like all the expansion clubs do now. If only when we started we got a break. They pretty much stacked everything against us back then with roster limitations and budget (and giving us Mo).
    I agree that startup teams get more breaks now, and that the Cdn roster restrictions, MO, general salary budget etc. made things harder for TFC in the beginning. However after digging through the numbers a bit more, I'm really surprised:

Exclude the 3 DPs;
    Add up the total spent on players, only above the max non-DP salary of $505k.
    In 2018, Atlanta spent a TOTAL of $600k to to $840k (Base / Guaranteed), above the per-player max of $505k. (5 players in that category)

In 2018, TFC spent a TOTAL of $1.8 million to to $2.2 million (Base / Guaranteed), above the per-player max of $505k. (4 players in that category)

Disclaimers:
    - Aketxe was still on the books then; but Osorio's new deal was not.
    - Both teams likely had deals that played with GAM/TAM in exchange for other things, so that affects what they each had available.
    - Teams can shift GAM/TAM between years.
    - I realize the salary budget ("salary cap"), as well as the players' union numbers, are all wishy washy, don't measure the same thing, and include all kinds of exceptions and special cases. However they have some use for ball-park comparisons between teams.
    - There may be some partial-year salaries included; no time to research that.

Sure Atlanta got special startup funds. But TFC probably also got a bunch of MLS monopoly money for VC, CCL, etc.

Part of this is also likely post-cup hangover, which Atlanta will face starting now. E.g. when your team does well and wins the cup (or the treble), then there might be some performance bonuses due the next year, plus anyone whose deal is up will want much more. (Any money that Atlanta gets for players leaving under contract, will cushion the blow however.)

In any case, we can at least be sure that TFC spent a metric ass-ton of TAM, GAM, DP money, and more in 2018, and didn't always get the most out of it, for example when compared with Atlanta. I love all our guys and all they brought us, but long term there are a variety of ways to be successful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Qatari league has a pitiful average attendance and a very small captive audience to draw from. 'Bums in seats" isn't a consideration when they dole out the big contracts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    As much as I love the thought of VV, Gio or Jozy finishing their careers in Toronto, I would rather have a championship contending team every year.

The existing core may be the current DPs but the long-term success (fan support and financial) of the franchise depends on its ability to win.
    I don't agree. First of all, its very easy for management to pretend it is trying to win and choose money - see Leafs, Toronto, 1967 - 1996. Secondly, its hard to build a winner. And thirdly, and most importantly, these guys won for us! They won! It is a bloody big deal. They are ours and every effort should be made to ensure they have a heros departure - at the end of their careers.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need an AM - preferably somebody to build the team with well into the next decade.

If Altidore goes, need somebody to take the defenders eyes off of Seba - can't do that with Janson or Hamilton or Bakero. Seba is not made to be a lone striker a la Villa or BWP.

This market DEMANDS 3 DP's that move the needle. Would a guy with the same pedigree as a Pity Martinez do so in 2020? Maybe. I'd like to think this market is no longer in need of an ex-Euro league player. Going young is OK. Going young and cheap? Not going to cut it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    The guy who broke everything (Ciman, Bez, Vasquez) is saying Gio and Altidore are asking for 8 million a piece. What drugs are these guys on? Altidore asking to paid double after being injured for a full season? Gio has his worst statical season during MLS play, and asking for raise? No wonder this at a stalemate. If they hold those numbers, they’re both gone. I think TFC would be willing to pay Gio 4-5 million a season.

Thats smacks of a deliberate campaign by MLSE to tarnish both of them. That is really poor but sadly not the first time it has happened to great athletes in this town .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what I sense after reading all the posts today is that TFC need to make another splash and bring in another big name, quality addition (maybe more) to bolster a line-up that at the moment is in need of help. Bringing back Hamilton, Endoh and hoping Chapman and Zavs recover from a disaster in 2018 will not do the trick. I lived through the years when kids were on the field and coaches were here one day and gone the next.. Not sure I can stomach that again. TFC, please spend and spend wisely but don't ever say we are in a rebuilding phase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    If I'm being honest that Jozy/Seba interview was awkward AF. I certainly feel more pessimistic about things after watching it.

I may be in the minority but I would be happy to see our 3 DPs get new deals. In a media-centric city such as Toronto I'm beyond worried that this unfolds as a major distraction all year long.

I am with you. Not at $8 Million, obviously, but am with you. And if this isn't dealt with I can see things imploding. Seen that before too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    The Qatari league has a pitiful average attendance and a very small captive audience to draw from. 'Bums in seats" isn't a consideration when they dole out the big contracts.
    This is nuts.

They are building about nine 40K + stadiums in Qatar.

In the meantime, fine, it’s about TV revenue for Asian Champions League.

Or probably it’s just about bragging/prestige at the billionaires falconry lodge.

What effing ever. There is no secondary or tertiary league in the world where $5M/year players are no names but are pieces of “winning” puzzles. (Except possibly TFC with Michael Bradley! )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of reasons beyond $ ROI the Qatar league may invest in VV because they aren't getting a positive ROI on any player at that price point.

First one that comes to mind is Xavi wants to start his coaching career as well as possible and so part of his 'payment' is they try and assemble a winning roster, one that could maybe challenge for the Asian champions league. Xavi will clearly want to coach in Europe so he'll want to get results early and I wouldn't doubt the fact that he'd have been very aware of what Vasquez was doing. So if he does end up on Xavis team then I'd well believe he took a huge pay jump

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Just like the best (supposed) qualification for police chief is being the right persons drinking buddy, the best qualification in this case may well be familiarity with one of the club’s stars (and future manager).

I’m not reverting to classic Toronto sports fan sky-is-falling mode yet.
    Neither am I. This was simply selling a 32 year old with back and knee issues in a heavy travel league. He wasn't healthy last year and we needed to move him for his overall health. The fact we are getting a fee and Vazquez is getting an estimated large salary raise; it's a win-win.

A healthy Vazquez is awesome. But if we are able to use that fee and savings on a 1-1.5 million (relatively cheap) South american CAM; awesome. A Luciano Acosta or Kaku type would be amazing. Not expecting a Pity Martinez, Valeri or Almiron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is nuts.

They are building about nine 40K + stadiums in Qatar.

In the meantime, fine, it’s about TV revenue for Asian Champions League.

Or probably it’s just about bragging/prestige at the billionaires falconry lodge.

What effing ever. There is no secondary or tertiary league in the world where $5M/year players are no names but are pieces of “winning” puzzles. (Except possibly TFC with Michael Bradley! )
    And then shipping the stadiums off to Africa after the World Cup. The Qatari Stars league has an average attendance of under 1000. They have about 250k natural born Qatari citizens.

The massive cash they are giving out to ex Barca players and ex coaches and ex coaches brothers sports agency may have something to do with trying to get their national team up to snuff and coaching up all the african kids they are naturalizing ahead of the 2022 world cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    And then shipping the stadiums off to Africa after the World Cup. The Qatari Stars league has an average attendance of under 1000. They have about 250k natural born Qatari citizens.

The massive cash they are giving out to ex Barca players and ex coaches and ex coaches brothers sports agency may have something to do with trying to get their national team up to snuff and coaching up all the african kids they are naturalizing ahead of the 2022 world cup.
    This

one tweet mentioned VV doing coaching as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post

Yeah so awkward. I’m very worried.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree they aren't idiots and that's why it makes sense. An idiot would overpay based on a name and for butts in seats. Smart people want a player that can make you win, which VV has proven in tougher leagues, regardless of how big his name is.
    Plus, he has a pedigree. Before he was one of our top players in a treble year he was player of the year in the Belgian league. He's not a no name player by any stretch. Dude scored for Barca in Champions' league. putting butts in seats isn't always name recognition; sometimes teams figure winning is a big component of that.

Edit: And I'd bet it's $4M over two or three years, not $4M a year, or the transfer fee and is salary are a combined $4M.
    Last edited by jloome; 01-15-2019 at 08:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be highly surprised if Curtis didn't offload Jozy and possibly Seba too, if he can get the money. He has a rep for being ruthless and we need to get younger. If not this year, then next. IF the money is there this year, he'll take it this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't believe they will go cheap either but I believe we will go young. The heavy schedule of the past couple years with CCL and long playoffs probably would have been dealt with better if we had a younger, more balanced squad.

I totally expect a tear down after this season or maybe even this summer after the CCL is done but I am holding out all judgment on any Curtis moves until it all plays out. His work rebuilding NYRB from the youth up to what they are now earns him a little time to refresh our squad.
    My concern is that Bez left. I don't buy that he wants to be the King of Columbus because he's from Ohio. Bollocks. At his age, he wanted to be pres of MLSE eventually, I would think.

If they told him they were changing direction and reining in spending, then a club where he could build from scratch, regardless of budget, might give him a better chance to succeed than one trying to shed spending.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I would be highly surprised if Curtis didn't offload Jozy and possibly Seba too, if he can get the money. He has a rep for being ruthless and we need to get younger. If not this year, then next. IF the money is there this year, he'll take it this year.
    well that would be incredibly disappointing - a player like Seba who WANTS to remain in Toronto and who has delivered - to offload if he can get the money - sad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When healthy Seba and Altidore are the best one two combo in the league. I really wish TFC reaches a win-win situation.

They are both legends, and perhaps slightly underachieved, however their success and accomplishments will never be forgotten.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Kinda like when the Jays had Bautista and Encarnacion looking to resign. Yes, they saved money. And then were terrible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    When healthy Seba and Altidore are the best one two combo in the league. I really wish TFC reaches a win-win situation.

They are both legends, and perhaps slightly underachieved, however their success and accomplishments will never be forgotten.
    Yes. And yes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this has been brewing for far longer than they let on. Acquiring Janson makes sense if they knew of possible serious interest for VV. As does Oso's contract. With a healthy Jozy, Seba, Bradley, Ciman, Mavinga, Morrow, VdW, Delgado and Oso we can have a very good starting 11. Missing pace and width which is to come. It looks to me like they signed Oso to replace VV and want Janson to provide competition for that role. Its a better lineup than we had in 2016

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

I don’t get the “underachieved” bit, and it's starting to make me crazy. Why won’t we treat our great team with the respect it deserves?

Three finals in 18 months. Never lost. So many good teams that just don’t get it done.

BWP and Villa and Kamara and Martins and Henry and Montero and Piatti and Diaz and on and on, those guys underachieved.

These guys achieved.

We were in tough in every single playoff series and CCL tie, and we never lost.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-15-2019 at 08:50 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t get the “underachieved” bit, and it's starting to make me crazy. Why won’t we treat our great team with the respect it deserves?

Three finals in 18 months. Never lost. So many good teams that just don’t get it done.

BWP and Villa and Kamara and Martins and Henry and Montero and Piatti and Diaz and on and on, those guys underachieved.

These guys achieved.

We were in tough in every single playoff series and CCL tie, and we never lost.
    You are right we shouldn't be so picky with how TFC was before they arrived, and the group that came together to win it all.

They deserve the respect and to be forever immortalized.