Page 38 of 191 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 5725
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    In 2015, When I watched Seba play for the NT in Rome, he was slotted in midfield, and as a winger, and contributed to 2 quick goals. He was not used as a striker. I have always felt, that he could assume the Higuain role (Columbus, not the brother in Milan). As a DP playing that position, Seba could be an MLS all star until he was 40.
    If TFC had another proven quality forward, he could have 20 assists per season.
    I agree with this but the problem I think that when we have forwards that flub a lot of what Seba would see as clear cut chances in front of goal then he will take matters into his own hands and press ahead. He will leave our midfield unbalanced. If he committed positionally to something like Higuain does and was disciplined in his positioning and defensive(ish) responsibilities then I agree he could be a top drawer MLSer for another 5-6 years easy. Plus I think he would take a lot less abuse as well. He does get chopped a lot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We always knew Seba needed more than Jozy. When we got Vazquez, and he got a couple of months under his felt, Seba and Jozy both became lethal.

We have what we need. I feel like people are writing Vazquez off. I don’t know why. He is not that old.

I agree we need a decent second depth striker, we haven’t had that for most of the last four years (but crucially did have it in the second half of 2017 when Ricketts gave us great service). But most MLS teams don’t have that (ie can’t afford it) either. Good strikers are expensive.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-08-2019 at 06:38 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    We always knew Seba needed more than Jozy. When we got Vazquez, and he got a couple of months under his felt, Seba and Jozy both became lethal.

We have what we need. I feel like people are writing Vazquez off. I don’t know why. He is not that old.

I agree we need a decent second depth striker, we haven’t had that for most of the last four years (but crucially did have it in the second half of 2017 when Ricketts gave us great service). But most MLS teams don’t have that (ie can’t afford it) either. Good strikers are expensive.
    Agree with your post. I think with Vazquez though many people get worried about him because last season he couldn't seem to shake the injury bug fully for a lot of the season. Even when he was playing he was saying he was still feeling something so not 100%. I don't think anyone would have any issue with a fully healthy Vazquez and going by his most recent interviews that I saw he thinks he is back to full health so I am good with that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's really too bad that Hamilton couldn't handle that role. That would have been ideal. Hopefully Akinola gets a chance and can do something with the opportunity.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For as long as we are alive in CCL, Jozy and Vazquez (and maybe Seba) all need to be held out of the league cold weather games in March.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For as long as we are alive in CCL, Jozy and Vazquez (and maybe Seba) all need to be held out of the league cold weather games in March.
    I don't disagree, but I'm expecting a lot of backlash for this one from the "we can't forfeit the league again" crowd.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can’t say I agree with this. The format of the CCL is stupid and its profile with the broader casual fan base is not up to the profile of the league. It’s not going to be the all-in priority it was last year. Did anyone notice all the blurbs about CCL success after last season in the press? Me either. However, there was plenty of mentions about basically throwing league games in the name of the CCL.

If your Vanney, CCL performance is not make-or-break. Screwing up the league again means potentially getting fired.

It’s going to be second fiddle. Maybe not in the semi’s / finals when we get there but certainly will be before that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Can’t say I agree with this. The format of the CCL is stupid and its profile with the broader casual fan base is not up to the profile of the league. It’s not going to be the all-in priority it was last year. Did anyone notice all the blurbs about CCL success after last season in the press? Me either. However, there was plenty of mentions about basically throwing league games in the name of the CCL.

If your Vanney, CCL performance is not make-or-break. Screwing up the league again means potentially getting fired.

It’s going to be second fiddle. Maybe not in the semi’s / finals when we get there but certainly will be before that.

...with the new format, squeaking into the playoffs could mean zero home games throughout. If revenue is king (and i'm not saying it is), then maybe CCL becomes the priority? Guaranteed home games as you progress through the knockout rounds of the tournament.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One advantage we have in CCL this year is no altitude. Part of the reason for resting players in MLS was so they could go to Mexico early enough to acclimate to the altitude. We won't have that issue this year, at least until the end.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they said clearly in some of the post-season interviews etc., that they will take both CCL & MLS seriously, but that they will rotate players throughout in order to limit injury risk (and all the problems they had last year). I think they will have a major upgrade in the sports science area for the start of this season, with an external company closely monitoring player load & all related issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They need to manage minutes very carefully. Virtually every starter had muscular injuries last year. If you look at UK soccer, the same problem has happened with players who played in the knockout round of the World Cup. Overuse injuries are real, even for professionals. And age makes it worse.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    They need to manage minutes very carefully. Virtually every starter had muscular injuries last year. If you look at UK soccer, the same problem has happened with players who played in the knockout round of the World Cup. Overuse injuries are real, even for professionals. And age makes it worse.
    The one advantage for this year's CCL run and beginning of MLS is that the team has had an actual off-season to recover.
    Remember from 2016 to the 2018 CCL TFC only had essentially 3-3.5 months off in just over 2 years with successive MLS Cup runs.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We really could use a decisive result in Panama so that we can play a reserve lineup in the second leg. That would really help.

Seba, Jozy and Vazquez all played most of both legs against Colorado last February. That is where the trouble started.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-09-2019 at 01:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

Had we one, I think it woulda been a big deal, for Toronto and for MLS.
    But with the loss, everyone (fans included) were exhausted and already looking to the next season.

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We really could use a decisive result in Panama so that we can play a reserve lineup in the second leg. That would really help.

Seba, Jozy and Vazquez all played most of both legs against Colorado last February. That is where the trouble started.
    Getting big wins in all games are important in order to secure 2nd home leg advantage in later CCL rounds (determined by comparing wins/goals scored etc) , but it is a trade off for sure.
    That's all I'll say about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Had we one, I think it woulda been a big deal, for Toronto and for MLS.
    But with the loss, everyone (fans included) were exhausted and already looking to the next season.
    I think this is a true statements for die-hards and people on this board. For the broader fan base? Not so sure it holds true.

Past headline on the G&M reads: “Toronto FC Ticket Prices Going Up Despite Disapointing Season”. Would say this is fairly typical of perception. Afterglow of a MLS cup is what’s keeping people from being more angry, forget the CCL.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    ...with the new format, squeaking into the playoffs could mean zero home games throughout. If revenue is king (and i'm not saying it is), then maybe CCL becomes the priority? Guaranteed home games as you progress through the knockout rounds of the tournament.
    I don’t think squeezing in to the playoffs on one of the leagues top payrolls looks good on him either. It needs to be decisive.

I also believe revenue is king but don’t see CCL as much of a driver of that as MLS success. Would ticket interest go up more with a successful league campaign vs. a CCL run? I would argue it would. Outside of these final matches against top opponents, getting people to go to BMO mid winter to watch shitty B-sides (cause not everyone we play will be Tigres) is a tough sell.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 01-09-2019 at 02:42 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    One advantage we have in CCL this year is no altitude. Part of the reason for resting players in MLS was so they could go to Mexico early enough to acclimate to the altitude. We won't have that issue this year, at least until the end.
    Except if we face Toluca in the quarters, it's higher than the Azteca in Mexico City (8,700 vs 7,200 feet above sea level)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone said CCL is going to be second fiddle until we can taste the trophy, but after hearing from Vanney about rotating more heavily I think we're going to be playing split squads. Any game where we're not playing one of Jozy or Seba is pretty much throwing in the towel, so it would make sense to split them up while we juggle MLS and CCL. I don't think we'll be seeing the more 'fragile' players (Moor, Mavinga, Ciman, Altidore, Vazquez) playing CCL midweek and MLS on the weekend.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    Getting big wins in all games are important in order to secure 2nd home leg advantage in later CCL rounds (determined by comparing wins/goals scored etc) , but it is a trade off for sure.
    Yeah. Hmmmm.

I think given age/fragility I would preserve the guys and not go hard after the home field edge. But it's a tough call. I do remember that ball moving when Bradley went to take his PK in GDL...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CONTEXT

(Thought it would be good to post the current roster situation)

PLAYERS : 25/30
    INTERNATIONALS: 7/8

FORWARDS (4)

• Akinola, Ayo (HG)
    • Altidore, Jozy (DP)
    • Bakero, Jon (INT)
    • Giovinco, Sebastian (INT, DP)

MIDFIELDERS (9)

• Bradley, Michael (DP)
    • Chapman, Jay (HG)
    • Daniels, Aidan (HG)
    • Delgado, Marky
    • Fraser, Liam (HG)
    • Osorio, Jonathan (TAM)
    • Telfer, Ryan
    • Vazquez, Victor (INT) (TAM)
    • DeLeon, Nick

DEFENDERS (10)

• Auro (INT)
    • Ciman, Laurent (INT)
    • Dunn, Julian (HG)
    • Hagglund, Nick
    • Mavinga, Chris (INT) (TAM)
    • Moor, Drew
    • Morgan, Ashtone
    • Morrow, Justin
    • van der Wiel, Gregory (INT) (TAM)
    • Zavaleta, Eriq

GOALKEEPERS (2)

• Bono, Alex (GA)
    • Patterson-Sewell, Caleb

The club has already stated the depth at forward isn't good enough. The way they've spoken about Janson it sounds as if there is significant TAM leftover and it's being targeted at a forward, so it would make sense if we were to bring in a TAM forward. We are short at goalkeeper so a back-up or third-string should be on the way as well. Hamilton's tweets suggest he could still come back also. That would put us at 28 players.

Last edited by portu; 01-09-2019 at 03:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We don't know that Auro is TAM as the press release didn't mention it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If everything works out at the Draft that will be where the 3rd GK will come in (Dayne St. Clair - Canadian Generation Addidas)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    CONTEXT

(Thought it would be good to post the current roster situation)

PLAYERS : 25/30
    INTERNATIONALS: 7/8

FORWARDS (4)

• Akinola, Ayo (HG)
    • Altidore, Jozy (DP)
    • Bakero, Jon (INT)
    • Giovinco, Sebastian (INT, DP)

MIDFIELDERS (9)

• Bradley, Michael (DP)
    • Chapman, Jay (HG)
    • Daniels, Aidan (HG)
    • Delgado, Marky
    • Fraser, Liam (HG)
    • Osorio, Jonathan (TAM)
    • Telfer, Ryan
    • Vazquez, Victor (INT) (TAM)
    • DeLeon, Nick

DEFENDERS (10)

• Auro (INT) (TAM)
    • Ciman, Laurent (INT)
    • Dunn, Julian (HG)
    • Hagglund, Nick
    • Mavinga, Chris (INT) (TAM)
    • Moor, Drew
    • Morgan, Ashtone
    • Morrow, Justin
    • van der Wiel, Gregory (INT) (TAM)
    • Zavaleta, Eriq

GOALKEEPERS (2)

• Bono, Alex (GA)
    • Patterson-Sewell, Caleb

The club has already stated the depth at forward isn't good enough. The way they've spoken about Janson it sounds as if there is significant TAM leftover and it's being targeted at a forward, so it would make sense if we were to bring in a TAM forward. We are short at goalkeeper so a back-up or third-string should be on the way as well. Hamilton's tweets suggest he could still come back also. That would put us at 28 players.

Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Changed, thanks.

That's interesting though considering his purchase clause was 750k. He was on 270k total last year as well.

He's got to be on the cusp of TAM. Amortize that over 3 years and it's 520k a year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Changed, thanks.

That's interesting though considering his purchase clause was 750k. He was on 270k total last year as well.

He's got to be on the cusp of TAM. Amortize that over 3 years and it's 520k a year.
    The fee is supposedly 600k. So if he's still on 270k and a three year contract he's under the max budget charge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fee is supposedly 600k. So if he's still on 270k and a three year contract he's under the max budget charge.
    Just odd to see a guy so close to the threshold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A fairly-reliable-in-all-situations backup striker is definitely needed. Someone who'll pitch in with 7 or 8 goals on the year, but more importantly allow us to play mostly the same way when Altidore is not playing.

I would still move Bakero. I don't see what he provides. He takes up an international slot and I don't see any unfulfilled potential to really tap.

I would sign a new first-choice backup, move Bakero, and go with Seba, Altidore, new guy and Akinola. Possibly re-sign Hamilton but I'm not sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    The one advantage for this year's CCL run and beginning of MLS is that the team has had an actual off-season to recover.
    Remember from 2016 to the 2018 CCL TFC only had essentially 3-3.5 months off in just over 2 years with successive MLS Cup runs.
    Agreed. But the club will be sensitive to this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think we will move a CB or two open up some cap and likely get another striker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auro is definitely TAM. Transfer fees aren't amortized over the contract. That was determined before with the Atlanta contracts (why Janson purchase option wasn't picked up because would've been DP due to 3.8 million fee). So Auro is 750k fee plus ~250k in contract = $1 million. He's a TAM for this season only.

Edit: Well apparently you can, but only one player per roster by calling them a Special Discovery Player. https://twitter.com/paultenorio/stat...16104099700739
    They won't amortize such a small fee, IMO.
    Last edited by rydermike; 01-09-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Think we will move a CB or two open up some cap and likely get another striker
    If we need cap space the obvious move is move Zavaleta and his 300k imo