Page 35 of 191 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585135 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 5725
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The whole development problem needs a separate thread . I have heard so many different opinions about what is wrong, but they all seem to veer off into different directions. The Voyageurs Board is hopeless on this, so many agendas ...

I want to hear from top 14 year olds in the GTA or their parents about how they see their choices.

I want to understand whether Canadian kids think MLS is really a viable track for them or not, given the discriminatory roster rules

It’s easy to point at Alphonso Davies and try to sell that, but I want to understand what they think about what happened to Raheem Edwards.

I want to understand the potentially massive impact that the CSL will have on all this going forward

I want to understand how our training/coaching really compares to that of the other big Ontario youth soccer setups like Sigma
    Last edited by ensco; 01-03-2019 at 12:06 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading between the lines of the presser a bit:

- As mentioned by others above, Curtis seemed to be both a Manning and a Vanney pick. Good for harmony in the short term. Long term Curtis may want to raise his profile above Vanney. Vanney somewhat Curtis hired at first, but I believe Curtis will be above Vanney in the team hierarchy.

- Vanney and Manning seemed to stress continuity a bit more. Curtis stated he just started, needs to get to know the team, staff, and all of the circumstances -- but beyond that he seemed to stress change a bit more than the others.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    IMO Curtis just hit on the key thing he will find some room for improvement: TFC II and the linkage with the development programs.
    That makes me wonder how long TFCII will remain in the USLD3 (League 1), I hope they aspire to move back up to the USL Championship. I have always said that you are never going to have 11 potential first teamers on the pitch at the same time, so sign some journeyman vets to stabilize things and help the kids who have potential. That will go a long way in player development in my eyes.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple hundred of sweet sweet GAM I'm guessing.

Bill Manning tells me that TFC did receive compensation from Columbus for Bezbatchenko, though couldn't provide many details: "Some help against the cap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Some help against the cap"

Yeah like we all still believe a cap exists?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    "Some help against the cap"

Yeah like we all still believe a cap exists?!
    If you really want to be pedantic there never was a cap, it was a salary budget

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    A couple hundred of sweet sweet GAM I'm guessing.

Last time something like this happened it was Pareja to Dallas for a 1st and allocation. Think we got more than a couple hundred in this case.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Last time something like this happened it was Pareja to Dallas for a 1st and allocation. Think we got more than a couple hundred in this case.
    Agree. If it was small beer, Manning would have told us the number. But it’s likely a bigger number, because he is being coy... he doesn’t want agents figuring out the size of his wallet
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Agree. If it was small beer, Manning would have told us the number. But it’s likely a bigger number, because he is being coy... he doesn’t want agents figuring out the size of his wallet
    Allocation amounts are disclosed in trades so i doubt it's that. I'm guessing it will be in the release by the Crew when they announce Bez's hire.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watched the presser. The things that makes me somewhat uncomfortable is the speed at which this was done. The fact that Bez leaving came up one week and a new guy was basically hired a week later is too fast for me for such an important decision. And why was Ali out of work for a year and a half...finding himself while holding out for another management position? Then all of a sudden interviewed and hired in less than a week. Just odd to me. For my job I am in a management position and work with upper management and senior execs, VP's and presidents of companies all the time so you see a lot of the damage control type of stuff and fluff talk/spin that exec's use when dealing with crisis situations. This press conference sounded like a whole lot of that and everyone sticking to the script. Vanney did not look too thrilled but said what he had to as any employee would dealing with an upper management change that may affect his job. Bill is saying they only had one guy on their list and it was the same guy. Not likely but that makes it sound good to make everyone more comfortable with their rush decision and it seemed to work based on reading some comments by people. I hope it works out for us in the end of course but proof will be in the pudding as they say. All we can do is wait and watch to see what happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Just watched the presser. The things that makes me somewhat uncomfortable is the speed at which this was done. The fact that Bez leaving came up one week and a new guy was basically hired a week later is too fast for me for such an important decision. And why was Ali out of work for a year and a half...finding himself while holding out for another management position? Then all of a sudden interviewed and hired in less than a week. Just odd to me. For my job I am in a management position and work with upper management and senior execs, VP's and presidents of companies all the time so you see a lot of the damage control type of stuff and fluff talk/spin that exec's use when dealing with crisis situations. This press conference sounded like a whole lot of that and everyone sticking to the script. Vanney did not look too thrilled but said what he had to as any employee would dealing with an upper management change that may affect his job. Bill is saying they only had one guy on their list and it was the same guy. Not likely but that makes it sound good to make everyone more comfortable with their rush decision and it seemed to work based on reading some comments by people. I hope it works out for us in the end of course but proof will be in the pudding as they say. All we can do is wait and watch to see what happens.
    This has probably been in the works for much longer than one week. Just because we heard of it last week doesn't make that the time line. Bez would have interviewed a while back and likely would have kept Manning in the loop and gave time to find a replacement.

As for Curtis, he said he liked relaxing with his family and doing his own things. Applied for the USMNT GM gig but got passed on. Probably wasn't ready to just jump into anything but in TFC he knows Manning quite well and he knows about the resources available and the club's ambition.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven’t watched but Joe Kool has a very important point. I am not convinced that this has been going on for a long time, but either way, Manning describing Ali Curtis as the only person on his and Vanney’s list, and that each list had one name... that sounds like someone describing election results in North Korea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Manning said they did multiple interviews and chose Curtis then people would want to know who the others are and that might put other teams/people in awkward positions.

I just see it as them talking up Curtis.

Also he could afford to sit around biking and BBQ'n until a job he fancied came up, his wife is loaded apparently.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    This has probably been in the works for much longer than one week. Just because we heard of it last week doesn't make that the time line. Bez would have interviewed a while back and likely would have kept Manning in the loop and gave time to find a replacement.

As for Curtis, he said he liked relaxing with his family and doing his own things. Applied for the USMNT GM gig but got passed on. Probably wasn't ready to just jump into anything but in TFC he knows Manning quite well and he knows about the resources available and the club's ambition.
    I was going by the timeline that Bill gave in the presser and not when we heard about it which is closer to almost two weeks I guess but still not a long time. Going by that it sounds like we heard about it not long after he heard about it if he is being truthful. He gave no impression that they were aware of anything prior to just before Christmas if I recall correctly from the presser. They indicated that this all came up and moved very fast. I don't doubt Manning had a small Rolodex of names should a guy like Bez ever leave but you can tell very easily this was never the plan up to a couple weeks ago and they are trying to make sure everyone stays calm and united in the face of this sudden change. Like I said, for our sake I hope it really works out and all the best to Bez except when those yellow knobs play against us.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven’t watched but Joe Kool has a very important point. I am not convinced that this has been going on for a long time, but either way, Manning describing Ali Curtis as the only person on his and Vanney’s list, and that each list had one name... that sounds like someone describing election results in North Korea.
    Literally made me LOL.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    If Manning said they did multiple interviews and chose Curtis then people would want to know who the others are and that might put other teams/people in awkward positions.

I just see it as them talking up Curtis.

Also he could afford to sit around biking and BBQ'n until a job he fancied came up, his wife is loaded apparently.
    Wish I had this problem

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Something I've been concerned about as well. All happened very fast.

But who else is out there that knows all the fucked up MLS shit. Maybe he was the only guy on the list cos he is literally the only guy who knows the ins and out of the league in that position with recent league success.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it is kinda crisis mode - they got stuff to do before mid February.

In theory you want to do all this starting in early November. Around Christmas for a team making decisions now for a CCL run starting in 7 weeks is less then ideal. That comes down to Columbus not being able to do interviews until a couple of weeks ago.

That having been said, Manning said he had known this was going to happen eventually but then gave a detailed rundown of the timing since ("I called Greg right away" etc)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that we’ve had the “one name, one list” comment, suspect Vanney will most likely be gone within 12 months, regardless of results.

This really will be a year with massive uncertainty too to bottom.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that we’ve had the “one name, one list” comment, suspect Vanney will most likely be gone within 12 months, regardless of results.

This really will be a year with massive uncertainty too to bottom.
    I say only if it goes south. Vanney does have a long term relationship with Manning who sits above both on the club's hierarchy. If Vanney didn't have that technical director tag on his nameplate I would think he was more at risk. I think if the team performs well, he stays until sometime during the rebuild. As we suffer growing pains during that, he will be toast.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I think if TFC does well, he leaves of his own volition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we should pick up an attacking winger who is without a contract/club like from the left Kacaniklic from Nantes or from the right Blaszczykowski from Wolfsburg

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to Kloke, Altidore still recovering from surgeries, just running this week, and they are hoping for him to be ready for the first couple of weeks in the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm thinking that this season is the last hurrah of the magic we've been fortunate enough to witness over the last 4 years. I'm going to enjoy this last year of play from this assembled talent and ride out whatever happens the next couple of years until their next run at greatness. I'm okay with Ali staying if he chooses and Vanney leaving if he chooses. I'm sure Europe would be an option for him, especially Ligue 1 and eventually EPL. I'd love to see him get that chance and I think it's likely if TFC can manage a 2017 season (or Quad) this year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Davidson article with some tidbits

https://www.theguardian.pe.ca/sports...e-back-272863/

Janson unlikely

Mannng wants Fury to be USL II affiliate

Manning helped Fury deal with CONCACAF

Reports for Medicals Jan 14

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    That makes me wonder how long TFCII will remain in the USLD3 (League 1), I hope they aspire to move back up to the USL Championship. I have always said that you are never going to have 11 potential first teamers on the pitch at the same time, so sign some journeyman vets to stabilize things and help the kids who have potential. That will go a long way in player development in my eyes.
    You hit the nail on the head with never having 11 potential first teamers. As an avid youth football follower I watch a lot of u18s/u23s football in England whether on tv or I try to get to as many games as possible too. But the main thing in every age group is you have your 2-3 stars. They are the potential first teamers. Pretty much the rest are just making up the numbers with a slim chance of defying the odds. That is why I never understood TFC's approach of sending out a full squad of teenagers for TFC II and having them do poorly. Getting dominated every game doesn't develop your players. If your a squad player at youth level then you aren't making it here so get rid and sign some top USL players to create the core of TFC II. Give them an ability to compete at that level and make the perfect environment for those top 4-5 talents in each age group. Who cares about the 11th best player in an age group? Develop the best. We've got such a huge tool here with being able to play our reserves in a fully senior professional league. I'd kill to see the u23s in England to have that opportunity. We've yet to take advantage of it though and have even dropped to a lower level. It's basically the perfect situation for developing youth and we've just said no thanks. Its infuriating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    According to Kloke, Altidore still recovering from surgeries, just running this week, and they are hoping for him to be ready for the first couple of weeks in the season.
    Can't wait for this guys contract to run out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Davidson article with some tidbits

https://www.theguardian.pe.ca/sports...e-back-272863/

Janson unlikely

Mannng wants Fury to be USL II affiliate

Manning helped Fury deal with CONCACAF

Reports for Medicals Jan 14
    Wasn't Ottawa Montreal's affiliate? What happened there?

And if Concacaf tried to push Ottawa out of the CPL, what about TFC2 in USL League1, could they try and push them out too?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Wasn't Ottawa Montreal's affiliate? What happened there?

And if Concacaf tried to push Ottawa out of the CPL, what about TFC2 in USL League1, could they try and push them out too?
    I don't know what happened between Ottawa and Montreal.

CPL doesn't want any MLS II teams, so they'll leave TFC II alone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Can't wait for this guys contract to run out.
    "This guy" won you an MLS Cup. Have a little respect for the first true legend this club has.