Page 34 of 191 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 5725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we think about offering that to Seba he will be gone quick, there are a few Mexican teams that will make offers of 4-5M per year for him.

Bradley and Jozy both know that they move the marketing needle in an American market. Regardless of the national team fiasco they will get a lot better offers than what you have listed there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Could be. I don't understand how the financials of TFC makes sense (but the same goes for many other sports teams). However people have predicted the same thing a number of times in the past, yet TFC hasn't gone the low-spending route yet. Maybe this time?

Some previous predictions that never came true. No one particular poster in mind; just a few events I remember; some of these predictions I believed myself at the time:

- Bogers control of MLSE will be a disaster, will only last a short time, and will make major spending & other major decisions difficult in the meantime.

- The Bloody Big Bust means the big-spending days are over: didn't work on the field and didn't adequately move the needle on revenue.

- Leiweke ("P.T. Barnum") leaving means the big-spending days are over.

- Friisdahl hiring as MLSE prez & CEO means the big-spending days are over for sure; look at all the cost cutting he did at Air Canada.

- The Bill Manning hiring means the big-spending days are over. At RSL he showed you can be efficient & successful with a much lower budget.

- The 2016 TFC season, despite the spending & despite making it to MLS Cup, didn't pan out in terms of significantly increased TV viewership or revenue. The big-spending days are over.

- The record-setting (& record-spending) 2017 TFC season didn't really move the needle either on TV viewership or revenue. The big-spending days are over.

- 2018 didn't get any better. CCL near-success didn't generate much hype. TFC bombed in the standings, in the stands, and on TV.

Yet despite all this becoming evident partway through 2018, they still blew a pile of money on Aketxe and others. They maxed out on TAM, GAM, WHAM, and other MLS shams. They signed (probably overpaying) a new long-term deal with Jonathan Osorio, 'that will make him “one of the highest-paid Canadian players in the world,” according to team president Bill Manning.' They already had the most expensive pitch installation & maintenance in MLS, yet they are replacing & upgrading it all again for 2019: redoing much of the irrigation & other subsurface systems; brand new hybrid pitch; more grow lights; more turf consultants etc. Oh and a major upgrade in the sports science department, to improve performance & reduce injuries.

Now Bez leaving, and Ali Curtis possibly coming, may signal that TFC is choosing a cheaper way? Maybe.

Note I'm not that worried about some cost cutting anyway, if they're smart about it. I've loved Gio, Jozy & Bradley, but other MLS teams have found success with less spending. (Or they've gotten bigger stars that sold more jerseys, more tickets, more TV viewership, & had other financial impact.) Finding some gems in SA or elsewhere, and selling them on after a few years, is smart if it works. The Academy has to eventually provide more return on the investment.

However everything I've seen from Manning tells me: gradual, slow change. For sure something will happen with 3 DP contracts expiring after this year, but I bet Manning would want to keep 1 or 2 of them, possibly on longer / cheaper deals, and stagger the transition. In the meantime they'll try to win everything in 2019. And what I've seen from MLSE tells me they will continue to have high spending on their teams, and to charge close to the league max for tickets.

(Any other past cost-cutting predictions I've forgotten about?)
    I am going to plead guilty to calling at least five of those! In fact I may have argued every single one of those except one. ouch.

Good post, and well articulated. I am humbled by the sheer weight of my past apocalyptic pronouncements.

(It's really all one call. MLSE didn’t move to sell off the DPs, as I feared post Leiweke, so I got that wrong, but otherwise... the scorecard hasn’t come in yet)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    In a world where we keep all our DPs - All 3 DP's will HAVE to come down in Salary.

Seba - $2-3m (down from $5.6m)
    Bradley - $1.5m (down from $6m)
    Jozy - $1.5m (down from $5m)

With that being said - can we get better for slightly more? We'd still be spending less than we are now.
    You are high on the market for Bradley, low on the others. Bradley is a TAM player in 2020.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must start my post with a thanks to Tim B. I have been critical of some moves and perhaps too quick to give TFC credit to Tim L., but you have to say that the Tim Bezbatchenko years were the greatest and he deserves a send off salute.
    Hope that Columbus has to give up something to acquire TFC's under contract GM.
    TFC with a new approach GM must give pause to all players and especially the agents of the three DPs. I think that if the plan is something bold (selling Jozy or Seba?) the new GM pulls it off right away. If the approach is to stay the course, the GM can still have a "What have you done for me lately" style. If TFC is not back as a powerhouse team by June, change happens over the summer.
    As to value of present DPs on TFC, I think Michael Bradley is in a different category than the others. He turns 32 in the summer, the next playing contract he signs could be his last. If he seeks a long term deal at max money, TFC might trade or let him go as free agent. If he sees this next contract as his transition to a front office or coaching role, then his loyalty to TFC and the Toronto area become non-cash considerations...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many TAM do we have for the upcoming 2019 season?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If we think about offering that to Seba he will be gone quick, there are a few Mexican teams that will make offers of 4-5M per year for him.

Bradley and Jozy both know that they move the marketing needle in an American market. Regardless of the national team fiasco they will get a lot better offers than what you have listed there.
    Seba has all the leverage here, for he knows, and we know, that a current TFC roster without him, would be firmly in last place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Then Seba will be gone because he's not worth more than $3m in MLS at his age.

Bradley and Jozy will be TAM players next year in MLS - MB probably here in Toronto not sure about Jozy.
    The only way they move the marketing needle in the US is negative. They are both hated in almost every US city.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning inherited Bez. Now he gets to hire his guy (Curtis).

I expect to see more emphasis on the academy and younger cheaper DPs. Like Bez, Curtis knows the players and how to manage the cap and he has a history of good team construction. He'll be able to plot a more sustainable (but still winning) course than the highest spending trajectory that TFC was on.

Vanney is the one to be most worried. He isn't Curtis' guy so he really has to prove himself. On the other hand Manning will be urging continuity and I'm sure Curtis learned from how badly the situation went for him personally at RBNY when he changed coaches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a world where we keep all our DPs - All 3 DP's will HAVE to come down in Salary.

Seba - $2-3m (down from $5.6m)
    Bradley - $1.5m (down from $6m)
    Jozy - $1.5m (down from $5m)

With that being said - can we get better for slightly more? We'd still be spending less than we are now.
    These are insulting numbers, which I'm sure would provoke all three players to leave the table.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heck all 3 would get more then that in Mexico ... in 2021.

That's the competition for the DP's that will drive the price.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    You won’t see me ragging on the guy. Three finals in 18 months, losing none, he was core to that.

He was part of bringing in:

Moor
    Mavinga
    Vazquez
    Hasler
    Ricketts
    Irwin
    Will Johnson (important in 2016)
    Beitashour

We had been able to fix mistakes pretty easily (eg Kantari) until the big air balls with Aketxe and vdW

What we don’t know is how much of this record is Bez vs others, and how much of a halo affect the 3 DPs had on attracting play.
    Tend to agree, as I was never convinced Bez was slick enough to secure the likes of your Giovincos and Zlatans of the world, if maybe always giving him the benefit of the doubt.

To be fair, I think, in many respects, it's kind of like that everywhere else in the world, as well; if a team doesn't already look like it has a couple solid/marquee pieces, most teams would struggle to bring in cream-of-the-crop players like that, if they don't have the well-established tradition/reputation/history of a big/successful club. Bit of a chicken and egg deal, then.

Respect for including Johnson; always felt his time here were somewhat underrated. When this news came out, I immediately thought of the huge blunder that was Aketxe, and, to a lesser degree, vdW, wondering if those misses caused a little tension. Not saying they'd have been the catalyst to Bez moving on, per se, although perhaps with a little trouble in paradise, and rumblings of it being the end of an era (especially after the season we had, even though I disagree; injuries, etc.), he might have opted to move on a hero, lest he stick around long enough to become the villain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So is Ciman a Manning pick up? if not I don't get the reasoning in allowing an outgoing Gm to bring in a player if he already has one foot out the door.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw this:

Phil Banks@pbanksjourno 2h2 hours ago

Scott brown will leave @CelticFC at the end of the season. Clubs across USA and Australia are interested but the front runners are @torontofc as they look for a replacement for departing Michael Bradley. #hoops #celtic

I didn't know Bradley was leaving.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    So is Ciman a Manning pick up? if not I don't get the reasoning in allowing an outgoing Gm to bring in a player if he already has one foot out the door.
    Probably Vanney, Bez & Manning were involved with getting Ciman, and are all OK with it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    Saw this:

Scott brown will leave @CelticFC at the end of the season. Clubs across USA and Australia are interested but the front runners are @torontofc as they look for a replacement for departing Michael Bradley. #hoops #celtic

Nobody knows that yet. Could be true; or could by hype by Scott Brown's agent?

EDIT Not sure why we would get rid of a 31 year old, and pick up a 33 year old (34 by the time he would come here)? Doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 01-03-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given that account has 88 followers I'm gonna say bollcoks to that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like an agent pushing his agenda. Knowing not much about Scott Brown, looks a little too old to be brought in to do that role. While this isn’t a world class league by any means speed is increasingly important in the midddle of the park for any DM trying to manage the space in front of the back line. Good luck chasing around Pity Martinez or Diego Rossi in your mid 30’s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    Saw this:

The rumour has always been the new A league team, some guy got him added to sky sports at 10-1 pre Old firm

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    You are high on the market for Bradley, low on the others. Bradley is a TAM player in 2020.
    Gio - i probably went too low and I feel bad for that. He wold probably be more like 4-5 million - but seriously, you can't sign him at the same price was originally bought him for - can you?

I think Jozy price is fair. he came in waaaaaaay too high. Considering guys like Almiron, Martinez, BWP are in that price range - I'd assumed his value to be at that - which is kind generous considering his health issue. 2 out of 3 seasons here he's been here have been injury riddled. The players I;ve listed have next to no injury history - they are consistent.

Bradley - ya he could be 1m / TAM player, but when you consider the money other USMNT vets like Dempsey, Howard, Dywer etc get - I doubt he goes for that low. I still say $1.5 is what he signs for
    Last edited by jabbronies; 01-03-2019 at 10:35 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    He's probably a Vanney pick up. let's not forget the manager says he needs a player, the GM should present options and the manager should pick his order. The GM then goes and gets play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's probably a Vanney pick up. let's not forget the manager says he needs a player, the GM should present options and the manager should pick his order. The GM then goes and gets play.
    Tell Mou that’s how it works. Lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Probably Vanney, Bez & Manning were involved with getting Ciman, and are all OK with it.
    He doesn't seem like a player Curtis would pursue though.

I'm okay with Ciman too, just find it odd given the GM changeover that has now come to light

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the end of the day the new guy needs time to adjust. If this team started the season without a new CB it would potentially be a dumpster fire and people we screaming bloody murder.

So given the alternative, they went ahead and signed a guy who might not mesh with the new GM’s philosophy (likely on a short term contract). Sounds pretty reasonable to me and if I was stepping in to the GM role it sounds better than having overdue business to take care of the second I walked in the door.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on what the presser is saying, this is quick but Vanney is as much involved in this hire as Manning. "They knew who they wanted."

Almost as if AD/GM & coach are two seperate but equal positions.

"25 on the roster. 5 being targetted. Already in place who those are. Ali part of that moving forward."
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 01-03-2019 at 11:20 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Based on what the presser is saying, this is quick but Vanney is as much involved in this hire as Manning. "They knew who they wanted."

Im sure its a benevolent dictatorship, his opinion is valued but not the end all be all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO Curtis just hit on the key thing he will find some room for improvement: TFC II and the linkage with the development programs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

"25 on the roster. 5 being targetted. Already in place who those are. Ali part of that moving forward."
    Dont forget that Vanney's official title is "Technical Director & Head Coach"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    IMO Curtis just hit on the key thing he will find some room for improvement: TFC II and the linkage with the development programs.
    Yes, that seemed to be an outsized talking point compared to everything else going on, so I like what I heard. RBNY have at worst the second best academy in the league. I might even say it’s the best since they don’t necessarily force guys though while playing crappy first team football the way FCD does on occasion.

I think, all things considered, it’s a positive start. He definitely has his quirks and probably will rub some the wrong way but he is well known by Vanney and Manning so I think this is the best chance we have on someone who is plug and play that won’t be disruptive to the organization.