Page 31 of 191 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given that the consortium buying the crew have said they will be "custodians" it wouldn't surprise me if Bez gets a Prez title and all out control of business and soccer operations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with TFC Academy is not really TFC Academy they can only take so many players for each age group. There will be many players that might be good enough but only so many can be taken at each age group. There will always be a few good players at each age group not making a team. TFC have a decent setup and even have a USL team for players to spend a year or two at before hopefully making the first team. It’s been about 10 years now of the TFC Academy setup and have they produced eneough players? I don’t know but take in mind 10 years is nothing ,how long has Barcelona’s academy been around ? Well what maybe 60 years or more? So 10 years is nothing when your starting from scratch. It’s going to take a lot of time but I’m pretty sure eventually you will see a lot more players being developed. The money is being spent , the facilities are there it’s only a matter of time .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't see why Bez would want to leave, there is no way he would have anywhere near the financial resources to play with that he has here. A CCL victory or another MLS cup in 2019 and his reputation is set

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A ccl victory would be amazing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I also suspect the Venn diagram of 2016 "Vanney out" & 2019 "Why Zaveleta" is pretty much a circle.
    Just catching up here but wanted to say that I'm absolutely outside the vanneyout circle and firmly in the whyzav circle. I always was baffled by this one blind spot in Vanney's worldview.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One positive to me on Bez leaving would be that Vanney would actually have to worry about putting up results to keep his job

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    One positive to me on Bez leaving would be that Vanney would actually have to worry about putting up results to keep his job
    Maybe Bez wants out because he and Vanney are on a shorter leash than we realize.

Manning has been quietly riding out the Leiweke-era setup and contracts... doesn’t mean we know anything about what he would do i
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Maybe Bez wants out because he and Vanney are on a shorter leash than we realize.

Manning has been quietly riding out the Leiweke-era setup and contracts... doesn’t mean we know anything about what he would do i
    Somebody check on ensco, we seem to have lost him mid-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Somebody check on ensco, we seem to have lost him mid-
    Haha cheers just seeing this. I am in a remote location with awful wifi...

i was trying to say we don’t know what he would do in a situation where most of the cards were still in the deck. Here they were mostly already on the table.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Bez move to Columbus would make sense for him. Like Ensco alluded to lines were likely drawn after missing playoffs last season. Another misfire would not be tolerated. Columbus' new owners are probably willing to spend while TFC are stuck with aging bad contracts and perhaps looking to reign in the DP spending.

If offered a fresh start, clean slate and perhaps a raise closer to his hometown than it does seem appealing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I very much doubt Columbus willl suddenly be a big spender and we’ll fall that far. Our next DP’s might not be mega-contracts like our current ones but at worst I would suspect something meaningful will still be spent.

We just dropped several million dollars in 2018 on useless midfielder and a fullback. If anything he’s getting some heat from the top of the house and wonders if a bigger seat in a smaller market helps his resume and his job security.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 12-30-2018 at 12:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy Birthday Ager Aketxe (Dec 30). His loan ends tomorrow and with that his contract with us officially ends.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not convinced all of a sudden MLSE thinks they can be successful by pulling back the spending. They only won because of the spending.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    I'm not convinced all of a sudden MLSE thinks they can be successful by pulling back the spending. They only won because of the spending.
    his is very true. The reality is that the only teams in Europe that win anything are those that spend big to win.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    his is very true. The reality is that the only teams in Europe that win anything are those that spend big to win.
    Except in MLS, you can still win without spending big money all the time. You do need to spend your money smart.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Except in MLS, you can still win without spending big money all the time. You do need to spend your money smart.
    Even then it's not the standard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out of the last 7 MLS Cups, two were not big spenders. Portland and KC. Also if you wanna win the CCL it's not gonna be through smart spending.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i doubt tfc stop spending.the only change i see is that they will go the younger dp route like atl and that will be cheaper you will not be spending 6.5 on a dm.they will always be a top spender one way or another.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Right now, you can grab a shield without spending a lot.

This is going to change, especially in a compressed season. The future is what we are attempting to do in 2019 - depth so that you are competitive every single game.

If anything, I think the cup becomes the cinderella's competition while the Shield becomes the prize for the heavy hitters.

I'm pretty darn sure the goal with TFC is to create a Juve / Man U / Bayern of MLS - a team perpetually at the top in every competition that stays there season after season. I'm not convinced MLSE has changed their mind on that. I'm also not convinced that Bez is interested in running the equivalent of a Fiorentina.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 12-30-2018 at 04:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I'm pretty darn sure the goal with TFC is to create a Juve / Man U / Bayern of MLS - a team perpetually at the top in every competition that stays there season after season. I'm not convinced MLSE has changed their mind on that. I'm also not convinced that Bez is interested in running the equivalent of a Fiorentina.
    Further to this I don't think the TFC model leaves much choice in the matter - if they decide to tighten the purse strings like a RBNY they run the significant risk on losing bums in the seats. I think outside of the hardcore fans you need to spend to capture the wider audience in TO. As it stands, we are not/were not filling our newly expanded stadium on a regular basis both during and directly after a championship season. I don't think there's a choice other than going for the gusto year in and year out. As solid of a market as we've got I think it's still a bit 'frail' and we saw evidence of that this season.

Not to derail this thread any further than it already is but I would be very interested to learn the 'economics of SGs' (year over year growth/shrink of memberships etc). I think this would be an interesting indicator of volatility in the stands. Actually very curious as to what is tracked by SGs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have “depth” now? This is news to me. It looks exactly like last years roster +\- some small parts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    We have “depth” now? This is news to me. It looks exactly like last years roster +\- some small parts.
    The same reason people are defending Zavaleta can be applied to our depth as well. In 2017 we were the deepest MLS team ever. That year you could rotate anyone and it made almost no difference. Who knew Delgado, Chapman, Ricketts, and pretty much everyone else off the bench would be nearly complete trash in 2018?

If everyone plays to their potential or improve in some cases, then we are deep. If they play like 2018 then we're not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Remember we were linked with Argie midfielder Alexis Mac Alister over the summer for $4M? Well Boca Juniors are now going after him and his price has risen to $10M.
    Just as a follow up on this. Boca are only offering 6M and a 20% sell on at the moment. Argentinos are playing hardball as they have an offer of $10M for him for Summer 2019 from a team "Outside of Argentina". I wonder I wonder...

Alexis, however, is determined to move to Boca as he supports them and his dad played for them.
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 12-31-2018 at 10:51 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Just as a follow up on this. Boca are only offering 6M and a 20% sell on at the moment. Argentinos are playing hardball as they have an offer of $10M for him for Summer 2019 from a team "Outside of Argentina". I wonder I wonder...

Alexis, however, is determined to move to Boca as he supports them and his dad played for them.
    Can keep our fingers crossed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    The same reason people are defending Zavaleta can be applied to our depth as well. In 2017 we were the deepest MLS team ever. That year you could rotate anyone and it made almost no difference. Who knew Delgado, Chapman, Ricketts, and pretty much everyone else off the bench would be nearly complete trash in 2018?

If everyone plays to their potential or improve in some cases, then we are deep. If they play like 2018 then we're not.
    In 2017, playing alongside healthy Seba, Altidore and Vazquez, these lesser players were elevated to levels they would never otherwise achieve. The intrinsic value these 3 players bring are not limited to goals and assist stats. Soccer is the quintessential team sport, but having several leaders makes everyone look special.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very great point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Canadians available on GA contracts in upcoming draft.

Tajon Buchanan, forward, Syracuse
    Dayne St. Clair, goalkeeper, Maryland

Tajon possible winger?
    Dayne prob not ready to be an MLS backup maybe start with TFC2.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    2 Canadians available on GA contracts in upcoming draft.

Tajon Buchanan, forward, Syracuse
    Dayne St. Clair, goalkeeper, Maryland

Tajon possible winger?
    Dayne prob not ready to be an MLS backup maybe start with TFC2.

Don't forget that there is a thread specifically to discuss the Super draft.

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...anuary-11-2019

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC arent picking up the option and Janson will return to Tigre for their camp in January. TFC could in theory keep negotiating with Tigre.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    In 2017, playing alongside healthy Seba, Altidore and Vazquez, these lesser players were elevated to levels they would never otherwise achieve. The intrinsic value these 3 players bring are not limited to goals and assist stats. Soccer is the quintessential team sport, but having several leaders makes everyone look special.
    Somewhat agree. I think Moor and definitely Bradley should be added to the list of players who make others better. The latter allows the entire front 6 to push forward and not worry nearly as much about their defensive responsibilities as they would on another team. The importance of that can’t be understated.

Notwithstanding there were times where the subs had to cover and did remarkably well. There was a spell where both Giovinco and Altidore were unavailable and the subs did admirably, all things considered. Edwards plugged in for Morrow pretty much seamlessly. Lot of those circumstances happened and we were lucky. In 2018, it felt like the exact opposite.