Page 28 of 191 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878128 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This large number of people relitigating Zavaleta 's play in 2017, this is the most unfair thing I have seen in a while around here.

He clearly was horrible and lost his spot last year. But he earned it and played well the championship year. He was a core part of our Cup team, and people seem to want to deny that. Have some gratitude.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This large number of people relitigating Zavaleta 's play in 2017, this is the most unfair thing I have seen in a while around here.

He clearly was horrible and lost his spot last year. But he earned it and played well the championship year. He was a core part of our Cup team, and people seem to want to deny that. Have some gratitude.
    I don't like what Zavs brings to TFC, but yes gratitude is in order for him, It's like in the old Gretzky days in Edmonton, with a pylon like Dave Semenko on the ice with a wonderfully talented team around him, won numerous Stanley Cups, and gratitude was given, but when a more capable replacement came along he was relegated and eventually let go. Same with Zavs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^You are doing it too. Calling him Semenko is just another backhander.

In 2017 Zavaleta started 29 games, was 4th in minutes played overall, played more minutes than any defender ex Morrow. He was no role player, and that was a team that was bulletproof at the back. I am not going to go through every game thread in 2017 but I'd like someone to show me any serious discussion that got engagement about how he was protected by others, or there because of nepotism, in 2017. (there was definitely some of that earlier, but not in 2017.) He was a bubble player when we did our expansion protection lists but few argued with the logic that a youngish domestic starter had to be kept.

There is is absolutely no question that keeping him and paying him at the end of 2017 was a mistake. We should have protected Edwards and let him go. But it is all 20/20 hindsight. And nothing compared to the Aketxe or Beita/vdW decisions.

It makes me angry. If you did the job on our championship team, you deserve better than this. Zavaleta is on thin ice now, but that in no way diminishes the vital role he played throughout the hallowed 2017 season.

I'm hoping this is just confusion (given that there were early questions about Zavaleta), rather than mean spiritedness. I am not sure.

If he goes he deserves to be remembered fondly, and should get the same warm reception Beita and Nico Hasler got when they come back.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-23-2018 at 12:52 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No doubt Zavs was a soldier during our 2017 and I for one will forever be grateful. That said, 2017 counts for nothing today. The most concerning thing about Zavs in 2018 wasn't so much that he regressed, rather he did not look to be at the level of the players around him (his lack of football IQ was badly exposed against skilled players). I understand the shouts of nepotism - especially towards the end of 2018 as Vanney had some beyond questionable subs to throw him on and that unavoidable feeling of impending doom was 9x/10 warranted with awful mistakes costing us valuable goals against and more importantly points.

Can he bounce back? I cannot say but going back to my earlier point, my greatest concern is that the rapidly improving quality of MLS is starting to expose the weaknesses in his game. In my mind this is no doubt an area that needs a definitive solution rather to hoping Zavs bounces back. No sense scolding the boy or running him out of town but my concern now is 2019 and in the spirit of winning championships I personally am not an advocate for taking any further chances on him. I would feel far more comfortable going up against Tigres with a Mavinga - Gonzalez or Mavinga - Ciman pairing.

I would love for this club to display a clear 'level of excellence' to be part of the 18 and really drill home what it means to put on that shirt in the hopes it pushes the Zavaletas, Chapmans and Hamiltons of the world into not only make the most of their chances, but also incentivize these players to work their tails off to stay in the 18 knowing there are other guys on the horizon waiting to 'take their lunch'.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you guys move your Zav discussion to the banter thread so I don’t have to scrol through it looking for actual transfer news and speculation? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, wrong words, wrong comparison, let's see how he pans out, Honestly I hope Zavs proves us all wrong and really turns it on, and it is not just mean spiritedness and fully agree hindsight is 20/20.

Cheers

In 2017 Zavaleta started 29 games, was 4th in minutes played overall, played more minutes than any defender ex Morrow. He was no role player, and that was a team that was bulletproof at the back. I am not going to go through every game thread in 2017 but I'd like someone to show me any serious discussion that got engagement about how he was protected by others, or there because of nepotism, in 2017. (there was definitely some of that earlier, but not in 2017.) He was a bubble player when we did our expansion protection lists but few argued with the logic that a youngish domestic starter had to be kept.

There is is absolutely no question that keeping him and paying him at the end of 2017 was a mistake. We should have protected Edwards and let him go. But it is all 20/20 hindsight. And nothing compared to the Aketxe or Beita/vdW decisions

It makes me angry. If you did the job on our championship team, you deserve better than this. Zavaleta is on thin ice now, but that in no way diminishes the vital role he played throughout the hallowed 2017 season.

I'm hoping this is just confusion (given that there were early questions about Zavaleta), rather than mean spiritedness. I am not sure.

If he goes he deserves to be remembered fondly, and should get the same warm reception Beita and Nico Hasler got when they come back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is is absolutely no question that keeping him and paying him at the end of 2017 was a mistake. We should have protected Edwards and let him go. But it is all 20/20 hindsight. And nothing compared to the Aketxe or Beita/vdW decisions.

spot on Ensco. They are immortal and he is one of them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    No doubt Zavs was a soldier during our 2017 and I for one will forever be grateful. That said, 2017 counts for nothing today. The most concerning thing about Zavs in 2018 wasn't so much that he regressed, rather he did not look to be at the level of the players around him (his lack of football IQ was badly exposed against skilled players). I understand the shouts of nepotism - especially towards the end of 2018 as Vanney had some beyond questionable subs to throw him on and that unavoidable feeling of impending doom was 9x/10 warranted with awful mistakes costing us valuable goals against and more importantly points.

Can he bounce back? I cannot say but going back to my earlier point, my greatest concern is that the rapidly improving quality of MLS is starting to expose the weaknesses in his game. In my mind this is no doubt an area that needs a definitive solution rather to hoping Zavs bounces back. No sense scolding the boy or running him out of town but my concern now is 2019 and in the spirit of winning championships I personally am not an advocate for taking any further chances on him. I would feel far more comfortable going up against Tigres with a Mavinga - Gonzalez or Mavinga - Ciman pairing.

I would love for this club to display a clear 'level of excellence' to be part of the 18 and really drill home what it means to put on that shirt in the hopes it pushes the Zavaletas, Chapmans and Hamiltons of the world into not only make the most of their chances, but also incentivize these players to work their tails off to stay in the 18 knowing there are other guys on the horizon waiting to 'take their lunch'.
    You are implying Zavaleta doesn’t work his tail off. That is extremely unfair. To Chapman too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Can you guys move your Zav discussion to the banter thread so I don’t have to scrol through it looking for actual transfer news and speculation? Thanks.

There is a relevance. We were exposed for pace at the back last year, a place Zavs is weak. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that our defensive troubles started when Mavinga got hurt. Ciman at his best appears to be good - but vulnerable to pace as well. So he doesn’t address the need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    There is a relevance. We were exposed for pace at the back last year, a place Zavs is weak. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that our defensive troubles started when Mavinga got hurt. Ciman at his best appears to be good - but vulnerable to pace as well. So he doesn’t address the need.
    Given the older names we’ve been linked with (Ciman, Parkhurst) and the younger (Gonzales, Spendlehofer) I wonder if this isn’t a case where we’re going to sign more than one CB. We have some real dicey options right now and more isn’T necessarily a bad thing.

Alternatively, maybe we’re spent, this is a transition year with a the DP’s about to expire and we get what we get.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Given the older names we’ve been linked with (Ciman, Parkhurst) and the younger (Gonzales, Spendlehofer) I wonder if this isn’t a case where we’re going to sign more than one CB. We have some real dicey options right now and more isn’T necessarily a bad thing.

Alternatively, maybe we’re spent, this is a transition year with a the DP’s about to expire and we get what we get.
    I think that'll be the case Re youth CB coming in. Especially as our current lot didn't perform last season

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes please please please I agree!

Everything is relevant to everything. Zavaleta has been debated & re-hashed for multiple pages in this thread, ad nauseum. There have been no actual rumours or speculation about an off-season move for Zavaleta. Maybe somebody would like to start an evaluation thread about Zavaleta; about Vanney and relatives; or about the whole team?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will do

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So De Leon is the wide right attacking bulldog option.

Who's the wide left? Morgan?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Okay, wrong words, wrong comparison, let's see how he pans out, Honestly I hope Zavs proves us all wrong and really turns it on, and it is not just mean spiritedness and fully agree hindsight is 20/20.

Cheers
    Cheers. Well said. Best of the season!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

I think the former might be true. But only if we move one of Hagglund/Zavaleta. The latter is spot on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

As a back up, I guess. Not sure who fits the bill for this unless we pick someone up or push somebody over there. Giovinco or Osorio could do it although it's neither's forte and neither would probably be very into it. A lot of questions going into camp because of the formation shift. Should be interesting.

Also, kind of concerned about forcing the formation change in CCL if we go that route. That's not the best place to try out new stuff. Maybe in the first round but after that it gets dicey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laurent Ciman's contract has been terminated by Dijon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    Laurent Ciman's contract has been terminated by Dijon.
    Guess this will be finalized in early January then. Hopefully he's good to go for the CCL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Ciman but I hate his age.

The Austrian guy looks damn good imo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

With Vanney's propensity for playing wingers/attackers inverted I am wondering if DeLeon will be playing on the left in attack, with Akinola, maybe Auro. I know that some don't like Oso's foot speed in attack, but I think he could be useful as a pocket/combination winger. With his ability to work with Gio/VV his ability to maintain possession, His strong defensive work rate, and his nose for goal, I think he would be a valuable attacker.

Also Zimmerman has not landed anywhere, I think he could still be someone we have our eye on as a starting CB. I think a CB grouping of Mavinga Zimmerman, Moor, and Ciman with whoever else we keep after trades, probably the nephew, but I have no problem with him as our fifth CB even on his salary. If it fits under the cap with all out AM I don't care.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm of the mind that we are still after another starter-quality CB as well. We'll see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I'm of the mind that we are still after another starter-quality CB as well. We'll see.
    spendlhofer looks like the goods. I would take him or zimmerman.

although spendlhofer would make us 5 of 8 internationals on the back lines. I would prefer a striker. If we can't get Cavallini.
    Last edited by bought with blo; 12-24-2018 at 04:51 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    This. Suspect it'll be someone with MLS experience too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how many CBs do we need.if we sign Ciman we will have 5 or 6 if you count VDW .the imports slots are running out and they probs still want a winger and another striker,im sure Ciman will be a starter beside mavinga.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    how many CBs do we need.if we sign Ciman we will have 5 or 6 if you count VDW .the imports slots are running out and they probs still want a winger and another striker,im sure Ciman will be a starter beside mavinga.
    Think Hagglund and Zavaleta will go. Maybe Hernandez too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think we might be stacking the roster for the first half of the season and then look to cut fat post-CCL

Been toying with the idea that they might try to manage the roster by not always playing the best squad. Would make sense going to a 4-3-3 in that way.

Midweek match might look like this:
    Bono; VdW, Moor, Mavinga, Morrow; Bradley, Vazquez, Delgado; Winger, Giovinco, De Leon

Whereas weekend looks like:
    Bono; Auro, Zavaleta/Hagglund, Ciman, Morgan; Bradley, Osorio, Chapman; Winger, Altidore, Winger

Essentially a way heavier rotation as Vanney alluded to at the end of the season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Think we might be stacking the roster for the first half of the season and then look to cut fat post-CCL

Been toying with the idea that they might try to manage the roster by not always playing the best squad. Would make sense going to a 4-3-3 in that way.

Midweek match might look like this:
    Bono; VdW, Moor, Mavinga, Morrow; Bradley, Vazquez, Delgado; Winger, Giovinco, De Leon

Whereas weekend looks like:
    Bono; Auro, Zavaleta/Hagglund, Ciman, Morgan; Bradley, Osorio, Chapman; Winger, Altidore, Winger

Essentially a way heavier rotation as Vanney alluded to at the end of the season
    one player we have forgotten about is Endoh. And you didn’t mention Janson. That gets you two wingers.

also, Bradley is going to start rotating. Can’t be invincible forever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one player we have forgotten about is Endoh. And you didn’t mention Janson. That gets you two wingers.

also, Bradley is going to start rotating. Can’t be invincible forever.
    Yes forget Endoh, not so sure Janson is a done deal and if Bradley is rotating we need to pickup a DM