Page 180 of 191 FirstFirst ... 80130170176177178179180181182183184190 ... LastLast
Results 5,371 to 5,400 of 5725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that we got our man I'm excited but also a little anxious as to how he fits in with the team. We know that in a vacuum he's a fantastic player, however I wonder how the defensive side of our midfield play will stack up now. When VV was firing on all cylinders we had Bradley and Delgado cleaning up loose balls left, right and centre as well as shuttling extremely efficiently. If we are to play the supposed 4-3-3 that probably means a midfield of Bradley, Osorio and Pozuelo with Delgado on the bench. The 1-2 play with Osorio and Pozuelo should be great as one of Osorio's greatest strengths has always been his touch and control but I worry about how the shape will look with 2 average or less than average defenders in that midfield 3. A dream scenario for me would be having someone who plays like a Diego Chara that allows Pozuelo to unleash his inner Diego Valeri, but I don't really think management is in the market for that garbageman (cleaning up the trash baby!) type of player. I think a lot of how the balance of the midfield shapes up also rides on what version of Bradley we get to see this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Hockey is a niche sport in a few northern countries. Not even in top ten.

​What Are The Most Popular Sports In The World?

Rank Sport Estimated Global Following Primary Sphere of Influence
    1 Soccer (Association Football) 4.0 Billion Globally
    2 Cricket 2.5 Billion UK and Commonwealth
    3 Field Hockey 2 Billion Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia
    4 Tennis 1 Billion Globally
    5 Volleyball 900 Million Western Europe and North America
    6 Table Tennis 875 Million Globally
    7 Basketball 825 Million Globally
    8 Baseball 500 Million United States, Caribbean, and Japan
    9 Rugby 475 Million UK and Commonwealth
    10 Golf 450 Million Western Europe, East Asia, and North America
    All due respect, but what does this prove? MLSE owns the biggest hockey team in the world, not a Cricket, field hockey team nor Volleyball team. That team, along with the basketball team play in the biggest and best leagues of their respected sports in the world. They aren't going to take cash away from them, to invest even more into TFC who at times may be the best team in a league that is nowhere close the best in the world in its sport.

Hockey is a popular sport in some very well off countries globally, i think thats the point some people miss. Northern Europe, parts of Western Europe and of course large part of North America.

Anyways back on topic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given that Poz has been playing regularly since Aug 2018, and once he joins us directly from his belgian league exploits, I fear that he burns out by late summer without having a proper break. I know this is getting a bit ahead of ourselves, but it is something that concerns me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redskiesatnight View Post
    Given that Poz has been playing regularly since Aug 2018, and once he joins us directly from his belgian league exploits, I fear that he burns out by late summer without having a proper break. I know this is getting a bit ahead of ourselves, but it is something that concerns me.
    At least he has been a sub pretty much from the time this started and probably will be until they release him. Might as well work his replacement in now before the next phase of their season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    At least he has been a sub pretty much from the time this started and probably will be until they release him. Might as well work his replacement in now before the next phase of their season.
    If he's a sub... what's the point of Genk keeping the player??!? Am i missing something?? It seems unnecessary to me to keep him on

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    If he's a sub... what's the point of Genk keeping the player??!? Am i missing something?? It seems unnecessary to me to keep him on
    We'll see, but Pozuelo played the full 90 vs. Antwerp, and got a crunching tackle near the end that had me wincing. He may play lots if the games are tight. Who knows.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    Is it safe to say there's a juicy clause in this deal in the event of injury between now and change of hands?
    Yes, it is called insurance.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since last fall the FO, all of them, said roster decisions will be based on the next 5 years and not tomorrow. So far that's exactly how they've approached everything.

Getting it right is better than getting it now and anyone who can't see that probably yearn for the days of signing Mista and acquiring players like Hassli and Iro for immediate results.

Yup, proceeding exactly how they drew it up. A model of foresight and execution. Other clubs would do well to emulate them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Financial details on the Pozo deal...

TFC will pay Genk a reported $15 million and Pozuelo, who will be the club’s third designated player with Michael Bradley and Jozy Altidore, will sign for four seasons at $6 million per year.
    Potential TAM target?

The Reds were also trying secure the transfer of Algerian midfielder Sofiane Hanni from Spartak Moscow.
    SOURCE: https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer...-fc-euro-media

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Hockey is a niche sport in a few northern countries. Not even in top ten.

​What Are The Most Popular Sports In The World?

Rank Sport Estimated Global Following Primary Sphere of Influence
    1 Soccer (Association Football) 4.0 Billion Globally
    2 Cricket 2.5 Billion UK and Commonwealth
    3 Field Hockey 2 Billion Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia
    4 Tennis 1 Billion Globally
    5 Volleyball 900 Million Western Europe and North America
    6 Table Tennis 875 Million Globally
    7 Basketball 825 Million Globally
    8 Baseball 500 Million United States, Caribbean, and Japan
    9 Rugby 475 Million UK and Commonwealth
    10 Golf 450 Million Western Europe, East Asia, and North America
    These articles are ridiculous, kind of like Bleacher Report, no sources or real quantifiable evidence. The biggest cricket league makes as much as Eredivisie and field hockey doesn't have a financial/business platform. Even if you go by number of fans, this article is obviously wrong not to include F1. They may as well have included beer pong.

NHL is the 5th largest money maker of any league (any sport) in the world! Even KHL is top 15. Ice hockey is played all over Europe some of Asia and NHL has tv deals around the world.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Yup, proceeding exactly how they drew it up. A model of foresight and execution. Other clubs would do well to emulate them.
    They made Poz their #1 target and they got him and not in July either. I'd rather them fight for what they wanted than turn tail and head to options B, C, or D just to have someone available for tonight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw the Sun article saying they were still in for Hanni as a TAM player but I don't see how that's possible unless this LA Gals impasse with their 4 DPs might be shaking up the TAM rules.

Regardless, if that happens and it's TAM then that would be a pretty solid deal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Habemus Pozo
    Last edited by ensco; 02-26-2019 at 02:40 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    I'm being facetious, but i mean i don't think it's one or the other kind of thing - why can't you have both? Like seriously, Toronto had the HIGHEST salary in the league (it wasn't even that close) in a league that severly limits the talent you could bring in ... why is that kind of commitment not enough?
    I was the one who brought this up. I wasn’t saying take money from the Leafs. Also wasn’t saying we weren’t spending enough on TFC. There was discussion about cutting TFC’s payroll-I was just saying any owner that’s wants some level of being a global sports brand has to put their money into the soccer team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hanni is worth at least 7 million on a transfer fee there's no way they can sign him, he was plan b if they couldn't sign pozuelo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    These articles are ridiculous, kind of like Bleacher Report, no sources or real quantifiable evidence. The biggest cricket league makes as much as Eredivisie and field hockey doesn't have a financial/business platform. Even if you go by number of fans, this article is obviously wrong not to include F1. They may as well have included beer pong.

NHL is the 5th largest money maker of any league (any sport) in the world! Even KHL is top 15. Ice hockey is played all over Europe some of Asia and NHL has tv deals around the world.
    I had the same thought. Looked up pro volleyball and they said "some players could even be on a monthly contract for as much as $10,000 a month." Woo, get me a chair, we're in rarified air here.

(Ice) Hockey may not have much of a following in Africa or Asia, but my neighbor is making more than a top volleyball player in Norway right now. Hockey pays the bills.

MLSE is going to put their money into sports that generate money, not just a following. I don't see them turning away from the Maple Leafs any time soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    I had the same thought. Looked up pro volleyball and they said "some players could even be on a monthly contract for as much as $10,000 a month." Woo, get me a chair, we're in rarified air here.

(Ice) Hockey may not have much of a following in Africa or Asia, but my neighbor is making more than a top volleyball player in Norway right now. Hockey pays the bills.

MLSE is going to put their money into sports that generate money, not just a following. I don't see them turning away from the Maple Leafs any time soon.
    NO ONE SAID THIS.

But if you want to be a global sports brand (even a minor one), you need to be putting money into soccer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Hanni is worth at least 7 million on a transfer fee there's no way they can sign him, he was plan b if they couldn't sign pozuelo.
    I think whoever thought that was misreading; the article clearly states “were” as in the past tense.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by frantic View Post
    Financial details on the Pozo deal...
    Potential TAM target?
    SOURCE: https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer...-fc-euro-media
    I dunno how much stock I would put in that article. Everyone else is reporting $4-4.5mil US a season, this is the only source saying $6mil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I dunno how much stock I would put in that article. Everyone else is reporting $4-4.5mil US a season, this is the only source saying $6mil
    Canadian media, Canadian dollars, they're just doing the exchange.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    NO ONE SAID THIS.

But if you want to be a global sports brand (even a minor one), you need to be putting money into soccer.
    MLSE has put a ton of money into this team from an MLS perspective. If they stop spending you’ll see other teams doing the same (if the two DP rumour had any weight whatsoever), because it would be due to a message from the office of Generalissimo Donaldo Garbero, not because they’ve chosen to spend less.

We could be playing on a plastic pitch in Barrie with Zavaleta x 4 in defense and Big Ben Spencer up top, while limiting our DP spending to a single 42 year old League 1 or Lithuanian league player. Instead, we’ve had the highest budget in the league, excellent facilities, and a will to make everything better.

You can’t simply spend as much money as you want, no matter how creative your accounting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe the sun is putting it in Canadian dollars which would be about 6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Belgian press is reporting €4M/yr which is equal to $6M CAD/yr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    NO ONE SAID THIS.

Sorry Canary, wasn't trying to pile on you specifically.

I completely agree that MLSE as a global brand has to have a significant soccer presence. And to my mind so long as we are in a salary cap league the only routes available to spend are on the exemptions (Poz: check!), the facilities (BMO grass: check!; Kia Training Grounds: check!), the non-player staff (coaching: yes? training: yes?) and the cultivation (acadamies: um, I'll pass on commenting here because I know nothing).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    You can’t simply spend as much money as you want, no matter how creative your accounting.
    Tell that to City, PSG, Barca, Juve, Real Madrid, most Chinese teams, LA Dodgers, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    Sorry Canary, wasn't trying to pile on you specifically.

I completely agree that MLSE as a global brand has to have a significant soccer presence. And to my mind so long as we are in a salary cap league the only routes available to spend are on the exemptions (Poz: check!), the facilities (BMO grass: check!; Kia Training Grounds: check!), the non-player staff (coaching: yes? training: yes?) and the cultivation (acadamies: um, I'll pass on commenting here because I know nothing).
    we could spend more on coaching

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    . hahaahahahaha

BTW Auzzy, we are going to get to 200 pages before the thread closes, eh? 180 pages now...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

20 pages in 3 days is going to take some doing.

Need somebody controversial or worthy of conversation linked meaningfully to TFC tomorrow as a TAM player (or something truly weird)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell that to City, PSG, Barca, Juve, Real Madrid, most Chinese teams, LA Dodgers, etc.
    Ah yes, the other famous salary capped leagues.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Ah yes, the other famous salary capped leagues.
    You can pay the DPs whatever you like and I will add the Galaxy to that list since apparently the DP rule is optional there.