Page 159 of 191 FirstFirst ... 59109149155156157158159160161162163169 ... LastLast
Results 4,741 to 4,770 of 5725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Yeah that's strange. I think the last one may have been an Eleanor Roosevelt mis-quote:
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

An earlier tweet was a Drake quote...

I dunno what's up.
    Fucking around while bored in a hotel room most likely

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review of Belgian websites turns up nothing new, mostly a bunch of anguished commentary. I am learning some Dutch though!

One story suggests there is a Thursday deadline to resolve this, but not sure who imposed that, so not worth posting, it's just rumour for now.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people seems to be hung up on how full BMO is during a game. You know who doesn’t really care - MLSE.

It’s a fact that MLSE cares more about content for TV than they do about selling tickets, they pretty much stated this when Bell/Rogers bought in. Think of the Leafs, sure ticket revenue is big but HNIC revenue and all the highlight shows is bigger.

I point this out because the revenue MLSE is after isn’t coming from 10k people buying tickets, it’s coming from tv, streaming and commercials.

Seba showing up at 7m when Bell/Rogers come on board is no coincidence. It’s also no coincidence he showed up in several commercials too which is more revenue content for MLSE.

Everyone should be happy having these owners because it will be super important for them to have quality teams to pimp out the content from. They even probably be happy to have 10k fans stay home instead of attend the games so they can boost their viewer numbers and sell more commercials.

In closing, we’re going to get some good DPs and have a good product there’s no doubt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Review of Belgian websites turns up nothing new, mostly a bunch of anguished commentary. I am learning some Dutch though!

One story suggests there is a Thursday deadline to resolve this, but not sure who imposed that, so not worth posting, it's just rumour for now.
    Steve Buffery also is reporting Thursday as the deadline.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Transfer file Pozuelo possibly gaining momentum'

http://www.voetbalnieuws.be/news/385...oomversnelling

Toronto FC does not yet announce the arrival of Alejandro Pozuelo. Sports director Dimitri De Condé was in New York last weekend to discuss the transfer of the Spaniard and the Canadians made a new proposal. The Spaniard would only leave for the MLS on 18 March.
    But according to Het Nieuwsblad , Genk has since announced that it is inconceivable to work on a transfer in March. But Toronto does not giveup and has caused a new twist. For example, a delegation of the Canadians will travel to the Luminus Arena themselves to defuse the situation. Racing would in any case argue for a quick solution.
    UPDATE 12u41

Also Sporzanow confirms that the Toronto delegation has landed on Belgian soil today. Even more so, according to the medium, the file could be able to gain momentum. "Some of Toronto's people have gone to Genk to continue the negotiations, and it looks like today will come to a standstill," it sounds. So wait and see if we will see white smoke today ...
    Last edited by ensco; 02-19-2019 at 10:37 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Transfer file Pozuelo possibly gaining momentum'

http://www.voetbalnieuws.be/news/385...oomversnelling

Toronto FC does not yet announce the arrival of Alejandro Pozuelo. Sports director Dimitri De Condé was in New York last weekend to discuss the transfer of the Spaniard and the Canadians made a new proposal. The Spaniard would only leave for the MLS on 18 March.
    But according to Het Nieuwsblad , Genk has since announced that it is inconceivable to work on a transfer in March. But Toronto does not giveup and has caused a new twist. For example, a delegation of the Canadians will travel to the Luminus Arena themselves to defuse the situation. Racing would in any case argue for a quick solution.
    UPDATE 12u41

Also Sporzanow confirms that the Toronto delegation has landed on Belgian soil today. Even more so, according to the medium, the file could be able to gain momentum. "Some of Toronto's people have gone to Genk to continue the negotiations, and it looks like today will come to a standstill," it sounds. So wait and see if we will see white smoke today ...
    So I wonder who is in Belgium, Manning and Curtis, or someone higher ?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So wait and see if we will see white smoke today ...
    Don't know if I have seen this expression used quite like this before. I think it is awesome. At least this saga is keeping me busy at work...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    those fans , as true as they are don’t buy those (too) high $$$ seats , that really pay the costs .....why would they bring their complete family , at a huge cost when the kids unfortunately need ‘stars’ . Sad fact . Those very inexpensive yellows are a loss leader , where many of the ‘true’ fans sit . I’m very worried about this seasons attendance. Tell me I’m wrong at seasons end .
    I understand where you are coming from, and I believe you aren't making blanket statements about everyone who sits in a certain section / pays a certain ticket price, but I just wanted to provide a slight counter-point to your posting. I am a long-time season seat holder now seated in section 106 (aisle seats, mid-way back from the pitch). Yes, I pay more for my seats than those in the yellow's (or light grey, white, black, whatever other colours they've introduced over the years), and yes, in my section we certainly don't have the flags, flares, and action that the south end does (and I thank all of you in those areas for contributing so much to the overall atmosphere!), but I would not consider myself any less of a fan or supporter. I've chosen my seats (after a few relocations over the years) because they offer amazing sightlines to the pitch and I am surrounded by a great group of people which allows me to truly enjoy the match-day experience and to support the team I love in a way that works best for me and those I bring along with me. I have a total of 6 seats, and have always been there and brought family and friends to (almost) every game in the era before Seba, and I will continue to be there and bring family and friends to (almost) every game even now that Seba is gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    those fans , as true as they are don’t buy those (too) high $$$ seats , that really pay the costs .....why would they bring their complete family , at a huge cost when the kids unfortunately need ‘stars’ . Sad fact . Those very inexpensive yellows are a loss leader , where many of the ‘true’ fans sit . I’m very worried about this seasons attendance. Tell me I’m wrong at seasons end .
    Really pissed me off now. We pay close to 4 grand for 4 seats and have for years. I want quality football on the pitch, win lose or draw just fight for the badge and I'm surrounded by people who feel the same every game day.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning is there. Actual news from a TFC reporter

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer...-other-players

They claim they’ll move on if they don’t get this done now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    ... and? He got paid to do something, then left. PSG paid his release clause. Making people think he was going to stay is irrelevant to what actually happened. Football is a business. You do realize that agents are more involved in transfers than the actual players?

Also, calling players “cheaters” because they what, dive? Is that what you’re implying? Diving isn’t cheating — it’s basically the only way to get calls. Until refs systematically give a yellow for every dive and call fouls even when a player stays up it won’t change. Even still, you’d be wrong. Neymar rarely ever dives now, which is the reason he’s currently injured.
    Ok firstly, simulating an event to get a call is cheating…..lol…..it`s the very definition of being a cheat. And Neymar rarely dives now? Don`t ask Mexico about that, they`ll tell you he never simulates anything lol. that`s some funny stuff right there. And he is not injured because he rarely dives, he`s injured because he`s trying to embarrass the opposition with useless tricks...like rainbow flicking someone on his own defensive half. And again, you know you are going to leave the club but you do their preseason just to get paid because you know there`s a bonus...that`s grimey. the actual legality whether he should get it or not is not what i`m talking about…..i`m talking about the actual character of knowing that and doing it just for the cash is what i question. And in my opinion i`m not surprised he does that off the field because on it he is a cheat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Maybe I don’t see the full backstory here on Neymar but what’s wrong with showing up for a few extra $ then leaving after?

If the club wants to be smart about it, make the bonus after the season, not after a preseason tour.
    i agree with you that the club should have been smarter about it. My whole point is that Neymar already had a transfer understanding with PSG, he knew, his agents knew and PSG knew he was going to sign for PSG….he only delayed the signing because he knew if he went on the USA pre season tour he would get 30 million. That`s my point…..he did it for the money. again i`m not trying to discuss the legality….i question the character.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    Pozuelo was being looked at by Al-Ahli not Al-Hilal. We have our own scouting network and our own preferences. We have obviously identified the Belgian league and the Belgian player of the year as things that make a player stand out. Vazquez, Hani, and Pozuelo, are all Belgian players of the year that we have either signed or shown significant interest in. Some Belgian articles seem to think that we are still looking at Hani as the second choice to Pozuelo. If Pozuelo falls through I think we will move on.
    OOPS thanks for that clarification…..i didn`t even notice the difference. i take back what i said about Al hilal lol

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I understand why they are moving hard to get this guy. I can see how the field would take shape once they get him. My assumption is once they get him we'll see the TAM signing play out.

However, if they don't get him I'd be curious to see the route they take. Do they try and get another guy like Pozuelos or do they have someone lined up in another position. That would change the TAM signing.

This is probably why we haven't see that TAM signing yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think people look too much at one side of the coin with respect to diving. The other is having your verabre shattered in a World Cup knockout round by an opposing player who “accidentally” made a sloppy challenge. Physical intimidation and intent to injure are very much in the playbook for some. And of course, so is fakery in the name of getting a call.

Ideally i’d like to see no diving and no dirty stuff. But we live in the world where both are out there. As long as the refs call it up the middle i’m fine. But still find it funny more attention seems to get paid to guys rolling around on the ground rather than the hatchet men who have ended more than a few promising careers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El matador View Post
    i agree with you that the club should have been smarter about it. My whole point is that Neymar already had a transfer understanding with PSG, he knew, his agents knew and PSG knew he was going to sign for PSG….he only delayed the signing because he knew if he went on the USA pre season tour he would get 30 million. That`s my point…..he did it for the money. again i`m not trying to discuss the legality….i question the character.
    I think most guys would take the money. If I am to draw a parallel to business, these sorts of arrangements are in place everywhere. And disproportionately employees, when they choose to leave, take off right after these bonus payments occur.

Sounds nasty but the other is some low level MLS import back in the day being cut mid season and is not even given money for a plane ticket back to his home country. Barca are no rubes in this, they’re a sophisticated party in their own right.

And let me clarify in this I’m not a huge fan of Neymar whose theatrics take away from his actual talent. I just think business is business and sometimes there’s more to diving than people see on the surface (although again, he kind of takes it up several notches).
    Last edited by ag futbol; 02-19-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think most guys would take the money. If I am to draw a parallel to business, these sorts of arrangements are in place everywhere. And disproportionately employees, when they choose to leave, take off right after these bonus payments occur.

Sounds nasty but the other is some low level MLS import back in the day being cut mid season and is not even given money for a plane ticket back to his home country. Barca are no rubes in this, they’re a sophisticated party in their own right.

And let me clarify in this I’m not a huge fan of Neymar whose theatrics take away from his actual talent. I just think business is business and sometimes there’s more to diving than people see on the surface (although again, he kind of takes it up several notches).
    Oh for sure, i agree with you on some of the rough stuff. And being from Honduras and following the national team i`ve seen Honduras deliberate gameplan be trying to hit their talented players (even when we played brasil we went hard after Neymar). So no questions about it. In my opinion now, with VAR in place, they should look at fouls and let the ref know when someone simulates that way they can card. That should get rid off the guessing game and dive game. They already review fouls and i`ve seen the ref after viewing var comeback and give reds etc. and totally get the business side of things that`s why i said i`m not arguing that part. i was just questioning his character. and Neymar has always been a big diver since his brasil days….i still remember everyone saying he wouldn`t make it in europe because he dives too much and someone will actually hurt him for that. i always liked Neymar and i thought he would grow up (just like CR7 did)….but he hasn`t and he will not. which is a big turn off. which is in fact why i don`t like him anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok firstly, simulating an event to get a call is cheating…..lol…..it`s the very definition of being a cheat. And Neymar rarely dives now? Don`t ask Mexico about that, they`ll tell you he never simulates anything lol. that`s some funny stuff right there. And he is not injured because he rarely dives, he`s injured because he`s trying to embarrass the opposition with useless tricks...like rainbow flicking someone on his own defensive half. And again, you know you are going to leave the club but you do their preseason just to get paid because you know there`s a bonus...that`s grimey. the actual legality whether he should get it or not is not what i`m talking about…..i`m talking about the actual character of knowing that and doing it just for the cash is what i question. And in my opinion i`m not surprised he does that off the field because on it he is a cheat.
    By your definition of “cheating,” barely any top-flight team could field their starting 11, including our own Cup winning side.

I watch him play week-in, week-out, and what you’re saying seems to be tinged with the same sort of blind hatred people spout against any other talented player they don’t like for [insert reason here]. Hard to argue with statistics: he’s consistently been one of the most fouled players in Europe. Strasbourg’s manager is now under investigation for comments made re: targeting Neymar. He got injured by being consistently fouled and not getting calls, not by “trying to embarrass the opposition with useless tricks.”

Footballers, with a few exceptions, like every other human being, work to make money. Release clauses exist. A player rarely, if ever, organizes their own moves — that’s their agent. The agent’s primary role is to maximize their earnings.

As in this case with Pozuelo, there’s either something in his contract keeping him there or not. In Neymar’s case, Barcelona got hurt feelings that he left and violated the contract. That’s the definition of “grimey;” doing something and getting paid for it as per your contract is the opposite. If Genk is getting hurt feelings, all it will do is ruin their relationship with the player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    By your definition of “cheating,” barely any top-flight team could field their starting 11, including our own Cup winning side.

I watch him play week-in, week-out, and what you’re saying seems to be tinged with the same sort of blind hatred people spout against any other talented player they don’t like for [insert reason here]. Hard to argue with statistics: he’s consistently been one of the most fouled players in Europe. Strasbourg’s manager is now under investigation for comments made re: targeting Neymar. He got injured by being consistently fouled and not getting calls, not by “trying to embarrass the opposition with useless tricks.”

Footballers, with a few exceptions, like every other human being, work to make money. Release clauses exist. A player rarely, if ever, organizes their own moves — that’s their agent. The agent’s primary role is to maximize their earnings.

As in this case with Pozuelo, there’s either something in his contract keeping him there or not. In Neymar’s case, Barcelona got hurt feelings that he left and violated the contract. That’s the definition of “grimey;” doing something and getting paid for it as per your contract is the opposite. If Genk is getting hurt feelings, all it will do is ruin their relationship with the player.
    simulating fouls is cheating….regardless of how you feel, regardless which team does it, ours or not. i get that a lot of players dive. My point is Neymar dives every time someone is around him whether touched or not. he is a very skilled player and does get fouled. i get that i`m not stupid. however he dives a good 90% of the time even when there isn`t a Foul. Look at Ronaldinho or messi for example...amazingly skilled, have they dived in their career? yes, are they known for being divers? no. and what about Neymar….that`s literally a topic most fans whether they like him or not bring up….is not hatred towards the player like you point out, it`s a fact. Again i`m not arguing the actual contract part what i`m arguing is he knew he was going to go to psg and instead of signing and joining psg`s training camp he stayed with barca to cash in. i`m questioning his character only and that`s pretty grimey. And one of the reasons i`m actually happy Gio left was because i was starting to get tired of him just dropping to the ground all the time and getting on his knees begging the ref for calls.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So along the lines of "Come on Genk, take it or be stuck with a player who wants out & is going to be mighty pissed at you for not letting him go."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buffery is the journalism hero we've all been pining for.

Also Sam Stejskal says Menendez deal isn't dead

Toronto FC are hoping for an Alejandro Pozuelo resolution within a week. Club are open to taking him after the Belgian regular season ends 3/17. Also, contrary to reports, TFC are still after Independiente winger Jonathan Menendez. Would be a TAM deal.

https://twitter.com/samstejskal/stat...16538122895362

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

simulating fouls is cheating….regardless of how you feel, regardless which team does it, ours or not. i get that a lot of players dive. My point is Neymar dives every time someone is around him whether touched or not. he is a very skilled player and does get fouled. i get that i`m not stupid. however he dives a good 90% of the time even when there isn`t a Foul. Look at Ronaldinho or messi for example...amazingly skilled, have they dived in their career? yes, are they known for being divers? no. and what about Neymar….that`s literally a topic most fans whether they like him or not bring up….is not hatred towards the player like you point out, it`s a fact. Again i`m not arguing the actual contract part what i`m arguing is he knew he was going to go to psg and instead of signing and joining psg`s training camp he stayed with barca to cash in. i`m questioning his character only and that`s pretty grimey. And one of the reasons i`m actually happy Gio left was because i was starting to get tired of him just dropping to the ground all the time and getting on his knees begging the ref for calls.
    You question one player’s character because you subjectively don’t like players who dive despite being the most or one of the most fouled players in Europe (depending on the year), who literally rarely ever dives nowadays, and who is targeted by the coaches of other teams specifically in order to foul him.

Yet in the same post you laud a player for “growing up” despite the fact that they continue to serially dive and whine, in addition to being a tax evader and alleged rapist.

You don’t know them personally, your analysis of their character is flawed and subjective, and literally every footballer is a cheater if cautionable offenses are considered cheating.

Pozuelo wouldn’t be “grimey” for leaving Genk if all there was was a release clause, regardless of when he did it. Footballers have families to support and I don’t blame them for wanting to make as much money as possible. Someone leaving one job for another that pays 3x as much isn’t “grimey.”

Also, Neymar’s ex-teammates weren’t upset and neither are Pozuelo’s. Amazing that people who actually know the players aren’t slamming their character — best to do it online.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    So along the lines of "Come on Genk, take it or be stuck with a player who wants out & is going to be mighty pissed at you for not letting him go."
    Well it had to come to this eventually. It's not the nice way but nowadays the club who owns the player is at a disadvantage. All the power is to the player and his wishes. Seeing the supporters revolt on the weekend plus an unhappy Poz means this should get sorted now. If not I will say this ; Genk is one stubborn, tough customer. Possibly letting their hearts outweigh their heads though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DFloorDanny View Post

Toronto FC are hoping for an Alejandro Pozuelo resolution within a week. Club are open to taking him after the Belgian regular season ends 3/17. Also, contrary to reports, TFC are still after Independiente winger Jonathan Menendez. Would be a TAM deal.

Just get it done already

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just get it done already
    I think they are waiting to sign a DP then build around him with tam players. If they don't sign pozuelo or hanni then maybe another option for DP is a left winger?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Who knows? I suspect they wanted to create the fear in Genk boardroom that we might actually walk away (as I have argued elsewhere, there is an argument that TFC/MLS have to do this deal)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This sounds like they want to outright buy him, instead of loaning him, like it was being reported before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who knows? I suspect they wanted to create the fear in Genk boardroom that we might actually walk away (as I have argued elsewhere, there is an argument that TFC/MLS have to do this deal)
    TFC simply has little leverage in this scenario. Our only leverage is unsettling the player and walking away, which seems like what they’re trying to do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buffery is the journalism hero we've all been pining for
    I’d hold off. This feels to me like stenography. Manning wanted Genk to hear we might move on.

Lets see someone report something that didn’t come from TFC before buying him flowers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d hold off. This feels to me like stenography. Manning wanted Genk to hear we might move on.

Lets see someone report something that didn’t come from TFC before buying him flowers
    I wrote that with some sarcasm in mind. Though definitely made the "lost in translation on the internet" error on it.
    Last edited by DFloorDanny; 02-19-2019 at 01:50 PM.