Page 15 of 191 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kloke's latest article posted on The Athletic today says Lucas Paes, the 20 year old Sao Paulo keeper we were linked to earlier for a loan move, was in Toronto but failed his physical and has returned to Brazil. Also hints at looking for some flexibility in attack:

Bezbatchenko and Vanney’s pursuit of a winger who can give the team a more dominant offensive performance speaks to their desire to control games for long stretches. How TFC rely less on a speedy bench option up top and who they end up adding at forward will be one of the most pivotal decisions with regards to the short-term championship viability of this core.

It could lead to a shift away from Vanney’s preferred 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 diamond formations.

“I think that’s something Greg wants to explore,” said Bezbatchenko.

He added TFC is looking at how to hurt teams from wide areas so their midfield could operate a little “more freely.” That could only stand to benefit Victor Vazquez, whose creativity was sometimes stifled as opposition teams would set up heavy blocks through the middle against them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Kloke's latest article posted on The Athletic today says Lucas Paes, the 20 year old Sao Paulo keeper we were linked to earlier for a loan move, was in Toronto but failed his physical and has returned to Brazil. Also hints at looking for some flexibility in attack:
    Interesting thing about moving to a formation with proper wingers is that it means that Giovinco or Jozy either play out of position or we play with a two man central midfield, which means either Oso or Vazquez sits.

Also this is a team without any wingers, like you can't just pick up one winger and be like yeah we're set you need at least three for championship quality depth.
    Last edited by portu; 11-28-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I bet this discussion is one they are having every day over at TFC HQ.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. But he is hardly our biggest disappointment is all I was saying. In fact, being brave enough to acquire Defoe set us on the path to acquire Gio. He was no Miata who left absolutely no legacy. Except one goal.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You don't have to make a full-time change in your formation for a winger to help. They can be an impact sub or a tactical alternative for some games. Of course, if you go to the "we play with wingers" style, then you need three.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I feel like I could cite these as reasons why our season didn’t work out. And I’d add Aketxe to our list of reasons.

we need to be careful about how we setup our back line for next year. Teams are going all-in for a high press or talking about setting up one.

Someone like Zavaleta who is indecisive on the ball and a slow passer is going to be under a lot of pressure. I like Moor and he’s no Zavaleta but relying on him as a starter sounds foolish. They need a first choice CB to stay next to Mavinga. He needs to be good on the ball, a leader, and defensively solid. I’d break the bank for Zimmerman, if i’m Being honest.
    If we are worried about the press we have VdW/Mavinga as starting CB’s. That’s as good as it gets it this league. But it means a four at the back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=portu;1882923]Interesting thing about moving to a formation with proper wingers is that it means that Giovinco or Jozy either play out of position or we play with a two man central midfield, which means either Oso or Vazquez sits.

Also this is a team without any wingers, like you can't just pick up one winger and be like yeah we're set you need at least three for championship quality depth.[/QUOTEi]

It I s very interesting. I love Oso but I still cannot figure out how they use him and VV, that’s why I thought he was going out on loan as rumored. Maybe VV is going to become a limited minutes player?

Also, without doubt, we are two up front. Everything flows from playing Seba and Jozy In their best positions.

Free Raheem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We did throw out a 4-3-3 with Morrow at LW in the last game of the season.

I think Vanney just wants another option he can go to. It instantly makes a lot of sense once either of Giovinco or Altidore aren't available because you no longer have the problem of trying to shoehorn all your best players into the formation. In fact I suspect our struggles with Altidore missing were a catalyst in wanting a different look... he is crucial to playing through the middle so it makes sense to try playing more from the wing without him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think either Oso is sold/loaned out, or Vazquez may be done. Suspect that's what the Juninho tryout (or whatever that was) is about
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think either Oso is sold/loaned out, or Vazquez may be done. Suspect that's what the Juninho tryout (or whatever that was) is about
    Wouldn't mind Vazquez out. Guy is on a max TAM contract, so getting rid of him would mean we could pick up two TAM players in his place.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Centre half isn’t a position that requires speed anyway. Unless you’re unable to do the thinking/positioning side of the game. We all know Moor can do the thinking.
    Mertesacker made quite a career of it

Always saw Juninho as more of a box to box/DM rather than a player like Vasquez or Oso. Maybe that's just me

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post

Always saw Juninho as more of a box to box/DM rather than a player like Vasquez or Oso. Maybe that's just me
    I think that's the point. A box to box guy is the right guy to put out there with Bradley and one of Oso/VV.

With Oso, the way he has evolved, and Vazquez, you have two AMs out there, which creates some awkward overlap. they are in each other’s way, and they leave too much ground for Bradley to cover, if there are breakdowns behind him

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Centre half isn’t a position that requires speed anyway. Unless you’re unable to do the thinking/positioning side of the game. We all know Moor can do the thinking.
    I think that's the point. A box to box guy is the right guy to put out there with Bradley and one of Oso/VV.

With Oso, the way he has evolved, and Vazquez, you have two AMs out there, which creates some awkward overlap. they are in each other’s way, and they leave too much ground for Bradley to cover, if there are breakdowns behind him
    Kinda what I was thinking too. Gives flexibility, also don't have to rely so much on Marco who had a poor season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think any of the core guys are leaving. They've stressed squad rotation and depth as the approach for next year and I think they're serious about it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need to find a younger Moor type who knows the league well.

The name I think of is Matt Hedges - Danged expensive but that's the sort of player in age and experience and ability we are talking about. Not going to be cheap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Brazilian press seem to think Auro to TFC permanently is a done deal. Sam Skjestal backed that up last week. Auro posted a pic of him and his agent/agency posing with a TFC jersey yesterday, like they were celebrating a done deal.
    Auro seems the most likely transfer fee / contract expectations wise. I see a lot of post about Janson needing to be bought, but the price would likely make him a DP. Not sure worth a DP. If can fit him in for a more reasonable cap hit than Aketxe (F- to Bez on that one he wont be allowed another) then maybe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Bez is on record now saying they'd like to keep Janson around and also that all 3 DPs are returning, so obviously there is some way to make that happen. Extending Janson's loan as a TAM player (as opposed to purchasing Auro) seems most likely to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the key is going to be if they raise the amount of TAM or the salary cap in the off-season. If simplified the rules and simply raised the cap to 7-10 million and allowed the 3 DPs, I think that would start to get competitive.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Need to find a younger Moor type who knows the league well.

The name I think of is Matt Hedges - Danged expensive but that's the sort of player in age and experience and ability we are talking about. Not going to be cheap.
    It's not possible to get better players from within the league. It'll simply never happen given the rules on free agency or lack thereof. Even if you overcame that....

Let's imagine that Hedges wanted to leave. Great player. Why would he come to TFC? I think guys like him are naturally going to markets like Seattle, if they move. Or they will leave the league to get paid and then come back, like Bradley/Altidore (and Zimmerman it seems)

Bradley and Altidore, separately and together, are/were very unique situations. It never really made sense for marquee US players to come here, and I don't believe Bradley/Altidore have changed that equation.

Giovinco, Vazquez, vdW and Piatti type players are the way forward for Canadian teams. Later in career, but not retirement age. Looking to escape the pressure/ultras where they might otherwise go next. Maybe like the idea of Canada vs the USA in the current political climate (Ottawa at least that mitigates the higher tax rate)

Some CB players in this potential category....

Simon Kjaer at Sevilla (he is the dream, probably has better options than MLS, plus Sevilla are surprise leaders in La Liga so he ain’t moving in January, as had been rumoured)
    Fazio at Roma (this guy would be a monster in MLS, very physical player, but he recently became a regular again, so may not be available)
    Stefan Radu at Lazio (this guy may be a little too old, I haven't seen him recently, but he has been a stud for years)

The USMNT guy that needs a new home, a la Altidore in 2015, is Bobby Wood, the striker who has been kicking around the Bundesliga but hardly playing for three years. Anybody willing to pay a couple of million dollars a year for him can probably get him... but I wouldn’t. I'd pay Janson's transfer before I did that.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-29-2018 at 10:45 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not possible to get better players from within the league. It'll simply never happen.

Let's imagine that Hedges wanted to leave. Great player. Why would he come to TFC?
    Good players moving does happen. Ciman happened last year. Granted not every team has an idiot like Crazy Joey meddling with on field operations but it can happen.

As to why Hedges would consider coming here that's simple; $$$.
    He is getting paid nothing in Dallas and he is 28.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Good players moving does happen. Ciman happened last year. Granted not every team has an idiot like Crazy Joey meddling with on field operations but it can happen.

As to why Hedges would consider coming here that's simple; $$$.
    He is getting paid nothing in Dallas and he is 28.
    Ciman is an international. Agree he was and is a good get. (Frankly, what happened with him is a stain on the league. )

If Hedges wants to get paid he can play out his contract and leave MLS - same as every other domestic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Hedges wants to get paid he can play out his contract and leave MLS - same as every other domestic.
    True but there are other issues that can lead certain players to stay in N.A like a young family, not wanting to go to and learn a new language/culture (depends on where you can go), and also the possibility of sitting on a bench and stagnating your career (Brek Shea - never remotely good after the Stoke years).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do trades for Dwyer, Meram, Dax McCarty, Kljestan, Kamara (Ola) not count as examples of getting good/better players from within the league?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Do trades for Dwyer, Meram, Dax McCarty, Kljestan, Kamara (Ola) not count as examples of getting good/better players from within the league?
    And 3 of them were USMNT players when moved as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^You forgot Nguyen, Kei Kamara, others... sure, certain types of decent veteran guys move.

I don’t see any of them as at Hedges current level at the time that they moved, with the exception of maybe Dwyer (only because strikers are so expensive/valuable)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not possible to get better players from within the league. It'll simply never happen given the rules on free agency or lack thereof. Even if you overcame that....

Let's imagine that Hedges wanted to leave. Great player. Why would he come to TFC? I think guys like him are naturally going to markets like Seattle, if they move.
    I agree South America and Europe should be the way forward but Drew Moor and Justin Morrow basically prove this false. They showed that if given the opportunity to win, it doesn't matter. Both of them were marquee position players in MLS. This isn't the NBA. Toronto is a clean, top 10 economic, vibrant city that is committed to winning. We should be competing for every top player, including American born. Do you think Tim Leiweke would have that mind set?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t see any of them as at Hedges current level at the time that they moved, with the exception of maybe Dwyer (only because strikers are so expensive/valuable)
    Kljestan just finished a season where he was up for MVP when they moved him and McCarty was considered the main cog of NYRB's midfield when he moved. Yeah Kljestan was 31 at the time but McCarty was Hedge's age.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hedges is a USMNT regular. Dax McCarty isn’t and never was in his snack bracket.

Kljestan certainly was at one point, but wasn’t when he was moved.

Oh btw
    https://www.brotherlygame.com/2018/1...t-mls-ogc-nice
    Last edited by ensco; 11-29-2018 at 04:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why spend 700 800 900 k in allo for a mls player plus there salary ,when you can hopefully find a mavinga type player for 350 400.
    unless its a moor type who was a total free agent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    I agree South America and Europe should be the way forward but Drew Moor and Justin Morrow basically prove this false. They showed that if given the opportunity to win, it doesn't matter. Both of them were marquee position players in MLS. This isn't the NBA. Toronto is a clean, top 10 economic, vibrant city that is committed to winning. We should be competing for every top player, including American born. Do you think Tim Leiweke would have that mind set?
    Morrow and Moor were tremendous signings, as was Beitashour. Irwin too. We had a terrific and unique run of bringing in quality MLS regulars in 2014-15.

We gave up nothing for any of them. they weren’t DPs or even close to max salary players.

None of them are relevant to a Hedges caliber player conversation. Hedges is one of the 5 best non DP players in the league right now.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-29-2018 at 05:00 PM.