Page 14 of 191 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    Yes, that's exactly what I was saying. There are some here who were ready to dump Moor last year while we were in the midst of giving up half the goals we scored. Now Portu has stepped back into that line of thinking based on how we shipped goals this year *in his absence.* Drew can't win with some of the posters here.

... there's no logic to dropping Moor without a defined replacement plan. None.
    Stepped back into that line of thinking?

My issue is with his age (alongside everything that comes with that) and the size of his contract. A 35 year old centreback that, when healthy, was obviously losing a step and spent the majority of a final contract year injured, should not be re-upped at a similar number. Not to mention he struggled to recover from said injury.

Also: Picking up Waston would be even stupider than re-upping Moor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should start a rumour that Jonathan De Guzman is coming to TFC. Put it into the universe and see what happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Stepped back into that line of thinking?

My issue is with his age (alongside everything that comes with that) and the size of his contract. A 35 year old centreback that, when healthy, was obviously losing a step and spent the majority of a final contract year injured, should not be re-upped at a similar number. Not to mention he struggled to recover from said injury.

Also: Picking up Waston would be even stupider than re-upping Moor.
    We agree on that last point!

I see the risk, but not based on what you guys are saying.

This “obviously losing a step” thing for Moor, I don’t recall hearing much about that here in 2017 or 2018 CCL.... I am sure someone can find a post saying it, but I don’t think it was close to conventional wisdom then.

When Moor came back in 2018, he looked terrible. He had lost 3 steps. He obviously never healed last season from whatever happened in Guadalajara. And he is 35.

So it's about faith in the TFC medical staff. I am willing to give that faith, but I can see the argument for not doing that.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

This “obviously losing a step” thing for Moor, I don’t recall hearing much about that here in 2017 or 2018 CCL.... I am sure someone can find a post saying it, but I don’t think it was close to conventional wisdom then.

When Moor came back in 2018, he looked terrible. He had lost 3 steps. He obviously never healed last season from whatever happened in Guadalajara. And he is 35.

So it's about faith in the TFC medical staff. I am willing to give that faith, but I can see the argument for not doing that.
    I think this is fair but I still feel like you could see he'd lost a step in CCL. The needless foul he gave up against Chivas which lead to their free kick goal is a good example. Maybe he was tired or the level was just that high but he seemed very clumsy in CCL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    All Defoe did was score goals, until a serious injury and the club turbulence. And all DeGuzman did was what he was good at. On the list of TFC disappointments, they are no where near the top.
    Meh. In MLS context this guy is maybe 1/3 of the player Giovinco is. Defoe scores goals by the boatload and is as prolific of a finisher as i’ve seen but... highly dependent on service, doesn’t create much for others, and wasn’t much of a team player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To keep an eye on: Walker Zimmerman is out of contract and LAFC has extended an offer to him, but he hasn't accepted as of yet. He has interest from Europe but it's possible his rights could be traded for within MLS if he can't come to terms with LAFC.

Probably heading to Europe though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    To keep an eye on: Walker Zimmerman is out of contract and LAFC has extended an offer to him, but he hasn't accepted as of yet. He has interest from Europe but it's possible his rights could be traded for within MLS if he can't come to terms with LAFC.

Probably heading to Europe though.
    Pareja is trying to bring him to Xolos

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is fair but I still feel like you could see he'd lost a step in CCL. The needless foul he gave up against Chivas which lead to their free kick goal is a good example. Maybe he was tired or the level was just that high but he seemed very clumsy in CCL.
    I can't remember thinking it was a sign of that, but I remember that play.

That was a bad foul.

This is the kind of little thing/moment only the true hardcore remembers.

(God effing dammit all over again! ;-)
    Last edited by ensco; 11-27-2018 at 09:28 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Pareja is trying to bring him to Xolos
    No offence to Xolos but I think he will do better

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colombia is a much better league than MLS in terms of player development. But MLS is a magnet for mature players because of salary/lifestyle.

I am guessing that they are similar level competitively, on balance.

Oso is 26, he wouldn’t be going to be discovered. He would be going because it’s Copa Libertadores, it’s Colombia, and he knows/likes Zambrano, I guess? (This last point amuses me. Zambrano didn’t rate Oso on CMNT, he mostly rode the pines)

If Jonathan wants to go, I want him to go. He has put in a good shift here, he deserves some consideration, and I would like to think this club is a volunteer army.
    Yes, that's basically what I meant.

Unless that club is in the CL next year I don't know what sort of allure it would hold for Oso above staying at TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colombia is a much better league than MLS in terms of player development. But MLS is a magnet for mature players because of salary/lifestyle.

I am guessing that they are similar level competitively, on balance.

Oso is 26, he wouldn’t be going to be discovered. He would be going because it’s Copa Libertadores, it’s Colombia, and he knows/likes Zambrano, I guess? (This last point amuses me. Zambrano didn’t rate Oso on CMNT, he mostly rode the pines)

If Jonathan wants to go, I want him to go. He has put in a good shift here, he deserves some consideration, and I would like to think this club is a volunteer army.
    Oso's earned the right to leave, yeah, but it shouldn't be a loan. If a club wants Oso we better get the max allocation dollars out of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I certainly do remember a lot of people crabbing about Moor for the last 1/3 of the season of 2017, and I felt it was unwarranted - not that he wasn't as fast as the others (and really I felt it was more a reflection of Mavinga's maturation and us getting used to his speed) but I also believed his IQ was more valuable than the foot speed people were clamouring for.

I don't dispute that Moor as he came back looked slow. Morrow is the same - hasn't found his speed yet after his recovery. As a Senators fan I've been through this with Erik Karlsson already and I too am willing to wait to see if the full recovery of their performance - at least physiologically - will show up this coming spring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The President of Tigres has ruled out a move for Jozy...

"Nice to be linked to him. He tried to sign him 4 years ago but we are happy with the players we have right now"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Centre half isn’t a position that requires speed anyway. Unless you’re unable to do the thinking/positioning side of the game. We all know Moor can do the thinking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Centre half isn’t a position that requires speed anyway. Unless you’re unable to do the thinking/positioning side of the game. We all know Moor can do the thinking.
    Yeah but the positioning and decision making suffers from being too exhausted or because the level around him is that much better. I genuinely think Moor (and all our CBs bar Mavinga) got exposed in CCL.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I genuinely think Moor (and all our CBs bar Mavinga) got exposed in CCL.
    And yet we made the final while only surrendering 9 goals in 6 matches, in pre/early season form, against the toughest bracket possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Notes from conference call with Bez today as per multiple journos on Twitter:

- Planning to sign another goalkeeper after Irwin's departure
    - Hope to re-sign Hamilton but a new contract needs to be negotiated
    - Actively pursuing Auro and Janson (not clear exactly whether these would be transfers or extending their loans)
    - From a cap perspective TFC is taking on "virtually nothing" after Aketxe's contract termination. Aketxe didn't want to return.
    - Mentality and speed of play are reasons Bez cited for Aketxe not working out
    - Team is in a good position salary cap-wise
    - No timeline or immediate plans to extend any of the 3 DPs. All 3 will be back in 2019.
    - Looking to add defenders, maybe a winger
    - Bez has spoken to Zambrano but is not considering loaning Osorio
    Last edited by notthesun; 11-28-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    And yet we made the final while only surrendering 9 goals in 6 matches, in pre/early season form, against the toughest bracket possible.
    Few bounces here and there and could very easily have been ~16.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That could be said in just about every match, win or lose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Looking to add defenders, maybe a winger
    Just what everyone's been saying most of the season!

Glad Bez sees it too.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I laughed at that those responses.

Few bounces here or there and we would have won as well.

Seems like the notes are pretty much on track to our thoughts....Zavaleta being gone is now the key to the offseason for myself lol
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC was one sitter away from winning the whole thing.

It works both ways.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    TFC was one sitter away from winning the whole thing.

It works both ways.
    Of course but truth be told I thought the Chivas series was the only time we dominated both legs at any point (including Colorado). Tigres and América away legs involved a hell of a lot of luck (not just one bounce but like multiple in our favour).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Mentality and speed of play are reasons Bez cited for Aketxe not working out
    I feel like I could cite these as reasons why our season didn’t work out. And I’d add Aketxe to our list of reasons.

we need to be careful about how we setup our back line for next year. Teams are going all-in for a high press or talking about setting up one.

Someone like Zavaleta who is indecisive on the ball and a slow passer is going to be under a lot of pressure. I like Moor and he’s no Zavaleta but relying on him as a starter sounds foolish. They need a first choice CB to stay next to Mavinga. He needs to be good on the ball, a leader, and defensively solid. I’d break the bank for Zimmerman, if i’m Being honest.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 11-28-2018 at 01:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His comments on Aketxe remind me of Kantari, which was a bit of a similar situation. After he was a flop I remember Bez commenting that he struggled with the physicality of play in MLS and that was something he would keep in mind moving forward. Then he signed just about the complete opposite type of CB in Mavinga, who's been tremendous.

So I don't doubt Bez will learn from this as well. Or has learned, if you look at how quick Janson is with his decisions vs. Aketxe who was far too methodical for our team or even the league in general somewhat.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am OK with vdW, Moor/Hagglund and Mavinga at CB. That is, healthy, an above average backline.

Issue is RB or RWB. I don't think Auro or vDW were the answer there.

To me Auro is depth and/or someone you rollout as a winger when you play 4-4-2.

Breakdowns on our right hand side were a big problem in 2018, and caused Bradley to get pulled out of position a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am OK with vdW, Moor/Hagglund and Mavinga at CB. That is, healthy, an above average backline.

Breakdowns on our right hand side were a big problem in 2018, and caused Bradley to get pulled out of position a lot.
    Disagree on Auro. I strongly believe he has Best XI potential, just needs to be more attentive in tracking runners and the space he leaves behind him when he goes forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m not. You still need a starting CB. You’re one injury away again from Hagglund starting. This was a massive massive problem last year. Yes I know injuries killed us, but you need account for some of that to happen again.

Auro is a winger in my book. I like him going forward, not coming back. He’s a below average defender.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    I’m not. You still need a starting CB. You’re one injury away again from Hagglund starting. This was a massive massive problem last year. Yes I know injuries killed us, but you need account for some of that to happen again.

Auro is a winger in my book. I like him going forward, not coming back. He’s a below average defender.

hes a rwb