Page 133 of 191 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143183 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,990 of 5725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    This is TFC, starz only. They can't compete with Atlanta and the rest of Major League Soccer without Griezmann and De Bruyne.

Seriously though, name recognition is cool, but these are the types of signings that will see MLS catch up to leagues ahead of it (including those leagues that MLS teams are plucking the players from). It's a little more sustainable while still highly ambitious. They won't always work, but hey, nothing is a given.
    Previously of Genk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The nice thing about Poz is that with his position and the way he plays, he could possibly be as good as he is now if not better until he hits 33

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    You realize when we got Giovinco he was less than a 1 goal in 4 matches player. And yes you could say he was more of an AM in Italy. Well so is this guy. People need to stop making Giovinco out to be a superstar before TFC. His best time was at Parma and still 22 in 66. Obviously he clicked here and became amazing and so can this guy.

As for splash, we got Jozy who bombed out of Sunderland and Bradley who lost his starting spot at Roma. They are great here but they were all a far cry from superstars like Villa, Ibra, Kaka, etc. Besides Manning never said it was a star player at Giovinco's recognition level. He said a player people who followed football would know and if you followed Belgium or Champion's League then you would.

Goals without Jozy is a question but I've learned in MLS you don't count on or count out anyone until the hit the pitch. If some never was from Brentford can become the best striker in MLS for the last 5 years then anything is possible.
    You make such perfect sense! I fully agree. No matter who we got, there would be people who just wouldn't be happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMAN80 View Post
    You make such perfect sense! I fully agree. No matter who we got, there would be people who just wouldn't be happy.
    Giovinco's name got bigger as he performed and the media focused on it.

If we get Alejandro, we are still in a position on a couple of TAM's and that allocation order pick. We could field a competitive team with all these additions, but no one really knows what FO will accomplish in the end.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is interesting because of the level of risk and reward.

This is big boy stuff, the type of move that much bigger clubs than ours make, think Hamburg or Lyon or Porto. Pozuelo could be MLS MVP next year. But anybody who follows Europe knows that these types of moves can go very sideways very fast.

The clubs who sign these players typically make make a number of these moves a year, knowing that they don’t all work. So a smaller budget club doing this as a single swing of the bat would be very ballsy.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-10-2019 at 01:15 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    You realize when we got Giovinco he was less than a 1 goal in 4 matches player. And yes you could say he was more of an AM in Italy. Well so is this guy. People need to stop making Giovinco out to be a superstar before TFC. His best time was at Parma and still 22 in 66. Obviously he clicked here and became amazing and so can this guy.

As for splash, we got Jozy who bombed out of Sunderland and Bradley who lost his starting spot at Roma. They are great here but they were all a far cry from superstars like Villa, Ibra, Kaka, etc. Besides Manning never said it was a star player at Giovinco's recognition level. He said a player people who followed football would know and if you followed Belgium or Champion's League then you would.

Goals without Jozy is a question but I've learned in MLS you don't count on or count out anyone until the hit the pitch. If some never was from Brentford can become the best striker in MLS for the last 5 years then anything is possible.

Ageed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This is interesting because of the level of risk and reward.

This is big boy stuff, the type of move that much bigger clubs than ours make, think Hamburg or Lyon or Porto. Pozuelo could be MLS MVP next year. But anybody who follows Europe knows that these types of moves can go very sideways very fast.

The clubs who sign these players typically make make a number of these moves a year, knowing that they don’t all work. So a smaller budget club doing this as a single swing of the bat would be very ballsy.
    If we do land Pozuelo, we would definitely need to make at least one more impact move up front for another finisher in order to maximize his skill set. I love Jozy but he's not durable enough to play a full season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I honestly can't see this Pozuelo guy coming here. or his current club wanting to trade him now, considering they are in first in their league

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1986 View Post
    I honestly can't see this Pozuelo guy coming here. or his current club wanting to trade him now, considering they are in first in their league
    If this is the guy TFC has a hard on for I can see him staying with Genk to complete the season and then joining us in June. The TFC spin machine will be in full effect if that’s the case. Hopefully they find another striker for the start of the season so we won’t be behind the 8 ball by June.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could see him coming here over the middle east or China if it isn't just cash but lifestyle as well. Many European players rave about the lifestyle here. MLSE easily has the cash to make it happen. The real sticking point is they will want him to stay long enough for their run at European glory while we'll want him now for our run at CONCACAF glory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Money talks. Look at us, we're about to start our Champions League season without our best performer from last year in that same competition.

I was watching a YouTube interview they did with Pozuelo a month ago when it appears he had made his decision to stay with the team and not transfer to Al-Ahli. I speculate he had been hoping for a move for a while and was disappointed that that was his best offer. He said he made his decision with his wife/family so I think this may be a case of us having an advantage over the Middle East and Chine by virtue of culture/quality of life, very much like Vasquez.

Also it appears he's never won a title, and I can think that the idea of being in the running for a continental trophy might trump winning the Belgian domestic league.

Just my speculation.

Edit: interview in question https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=61Pu5VdM4Jw

The questions are in English, answers in Spanish, and subtitles in Flemish ¯\_(シ)_/¯
    Last edited by RealG-TFC; 02-10-2019 at 02:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His club has little say over it. If we pay his release clause and agree to terms then that's that. That being said, there is a dispute over the agreement to suspend his release clause until the next transfer window. This being because for Genk the next window is the summer but for us, it is in a few days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So basically we're doing to Genk what Al-Hilal did to us. Does that sound about right?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing that is weird: I am not a lawyer but it seems to me kind of obvious that, unless it is specified otherwise, the window dates that are referred to in a "transfer window" clause would be those of the contract party (ie the Belgian team) and not those of a third party buyer (ie an MLS or Chinese or any other league that randomly has different dates)

I guess we will see
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    So basically we're doing to Genk what Al-Hilal did to us. Does that sound about right?
    TFC are in their offseason and have a chance to find a replacement, LOL. They didn't have to worry about the pressure of a release fee either (yes, Genk's own doing); Genk could be forced into letting a key piece go.
    Last edited by Bobo; 02-10-2019 at 03:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the amount of the release fee? Is it the 10 million number people are talking about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    This.

I'm with you Og but if this thread has highlighted anything it's that a) people were going to be underwhelmed if it was anyone short of Messi being signed and b) people have no clue what they're talking about and have no concept of world football.

Harsh but absolutely true. Apparently there is no higher power than armchair brain trust .

this 100%
    armchair managers are just that.
    this kid would be a very big addition to this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    What is the amount of the release fee? Is it the 10 million number people are talking about?
    Release clause is 8ish million euros.

The arrival of Pozuelo to Toronto, a matter of hours. Total agreement between player and club, which will also pay its clause (about € 8M) to Genk. The Belgians put obstacles, but they will only delay the inevitable: Pozuelo will play in the MLS. @migrantesbalon

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because I know people are going to ask....google search says no direct flights between Brussels and Toronto until Tuesday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Because I know people are going to ask....google search says no direct flights between Brussels and Toronto until Tuesday.
    Roller Blades??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/toronto...elo-source/amp

If the sun is now reporting this could be legit as they are last to find out lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    There always Frankfurt - 3 direct flights daily with AC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can drive to Amsterdam, which is two hours away, and has multiple direct flights every day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or take the train. Its Europe....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a very good replacement for VV, if they can get him. Interesting though because they don't look to be saving too much money over Seba who was a similar age when he started with TFC and is still producing. Pozuelo apparently was a bit of a bust at Swansea - doesn't mean much except that there is no sure thing in a new player. Still makes it puzzling for me why they couldn't have found a way to sign Seba, as someone said above maybe they overplayed their hand. Offering him 3.5 - 4 million (which is less than Piatti but more that Rooney, thereby in top 9) when he had a 7 million option was a bit of an insult really.

Lets hope that they can bring a deal for Pozuelo home. I expect his agent can smell a whiff of desperation and is pushing TFC for every penny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jasper View Post
    Release clause is 8ish million euros.

If this is all true it looks like he'll be introduced at the event on the 13th.

I'm betting he'll say he made the decision to come after speaking to Vazquez.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post

I think that too plus probably Menendez too. Outside chance Bradley & Altidore accept the extension offers KJ mentioned then took down. I think the FO would like this to be a big deal presser with the new jersey and CCL match a few days later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post

Honestly, this is a Pity Martinez level signing if it comes true. The commitment from MLSE to TFC is quite impressive and more then even I would have thought.

I was pretty sure they were going to focus on young players between 22-24 to build value and sell, and add a BIG DP in his prime in a year when we rebuild but I guess I'm wrong. Maybe TFC is making more money then I estimated.

I still feel you add a player like this when you really have a big commitment to going for a championship, else why would you invest so much money? If we are going for a championship we need more then this and also need a high TAM level striker at minimum so the investment should not stop.

Potential notable pieces coming In:

Pozuelo
    Tam Striker/Winger
    Ciman
    Menendez

Notable pieces leaving:

Vazquez
    Giovinco
    Hagglund
    Van Der Weil
    Last edited by Defoe; 02-10-2019 at 07:47 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also Boyd coming in & Ricketts out so that's like a wash. DeLeon too.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    You can drive to Amsterdam, which is two hours away, and has multiple direct flights every day
    Or connect through London. The gateway to Europe.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!