Page 132 of 191 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132133134135136142182 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,960 of 5725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Vardy on the bench this morning...
    He was warming up on the sideline after the first goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    He was warming up on the sideline after the first goal.
    Didn’t come in. Need I connect the dots?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    They want him until summer as they lead the league and their window is closed but we want him now. He also wants to go now.
    A very similar situation to TFC with Giovinco and VV. Continental football, but players who want to move.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has to be China. No?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atletico Madrid

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    A very similar situation to TFC with Giovinco and VV. Continental football, but players who want to move.
    Not at all similar, on the surface.

Gio was not playing and Juve were happy to release him early.

Champions League is worth many millions to minnows like Genk. Losing this player now is not something they would agree to voluntarily, I would wager.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Not at all similar, on the surface.

Gio was not playing and Juve were happy to release him early.

Champions League is worth many millions to minnows like Genk. Losing this player now is not something they would agree to voluntarily, I would wager.
    Exactly; and not getting it done during their transfer window makes it much more difficult. Genk losing their captain now; even if they get $10 million transfer fees they can't do anything with that money until the summer.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he comes, the current situation should be remembered when his contract comes up again.

a) Pozuelo is leaving for money
    b) he has had interest from other places where money matters

He may be a great player and a great leader.

If he gets a better offer, he will go.

And, I'm OK with that. This is what having quality players is like. Enjoy them while they are here and if they move on, remember them, be happy for them, support the shirt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this is how we get him this will be how we lose him.

Anyway, very underwhelming. But expected from the Utah/New Jersey brain trust.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    If he comes, the current situation should be remembered when his contract comes up again.

And, I'm OK with that. This is what having quality players is like. Enjoy them while they are here and if they move on, remember them, be happy for them, support the shirt.
    Agreed! Good for both the supporters and management to realize this. Also: be smart in when & how to negotiate with such players. And don't just promise "one more at the kick at the can with these guys" and "stability, with minor improvements" when you know that 4 of your 5 biggest contracts are unsettled...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he comes, the current situation should be remembered 18 months before his contract comes up again.

Fixed for clarity

I have a feeling TFC concluded Gio was a locker room problem for doing what every player in world football does and will do as his contract end comes into sight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post

Tough crowd.

Show me who in this league is spending $20M + on decent players in their prime. I still don’t quite believe they will do it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fixed for clarity

I have a feeling TFC concluded Gio was a locker room problem for doing what every player in world football does and will do as his contract end comes into sight.
    Mr. "often wrong, but never in doubt" was 100% right about this last year, and most of us (incl. me) didn't take it seriously.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 02-10-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Mr. "often wrong, but never in doubt" was 100% right about this last year, and most of us (incl. me) didn't take it seriously.
    Haha thank you

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha thank you
    Cheers!

I should add: it also depends on the player, so you need to know your players as well. Their details & interests will vary. For example "Pozuelo reportedly refused a huge offer from Al-Ahli" according to the Standard Freeholder article.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying to figure out how getting an AM - something we've only really had once in Vasquez - the captain of the best team in Belgium, a Europa league team, who has 18 assists this season and its only February - how is this underwhelming?

Because we can't watch his current team on DAZN?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying to figure out how getting an AM - something we've only really had once in Vasquez - the captain of the best team in Belgium, a Europa league team, who has 18 assists this season and its only February - how is this underwhelming?

This.

I'm with you Og but if this thread has highlighted anything it's that a) people were going to be underwhelmed if it was anyone short of Messi being signed and b) people have no clue what they're talking about and have no concept of world football.

Harsh but absolutely true. Apparently there is no higher power than armchair brain trust .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Underwhelming in the context of our past DPs and the smoke the FO was blowing right after Seba left.
    Good player, good league? Yes.
    Top player top league near Seba name recognition (as per Manning)? No.
    TAM like VV? Yes
    DP to replace Seba and get the city excited again? No.
    Will the stadium even be near 70% capacity this season? No.
    Jozy goes down in the first 3 games then where do the goals come from?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Were people expecting Neymar!?

This is about as good as it gets for MLS DPs. Players in their prime playing for champions League contending clubs in Europe don't come to MLS unless there's serious baggage. This is a guy with a lot of upside who on paper will be an immediate MVP contender (again, on paper). On top of that it's proof the panic induced masses were wrong about front office and they are still going to spend big on the team just maybe spend smarter buying guys who have potential resale value which is a smarter strategy than before frankly. This is exactly the kind of DP signing you're going to see the big spending clubs make over the next few years.

Hopefully he comes through and we get something nice with our TAM. Do that and were a serious team next sesson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It certainly seems real that the player is moving. That Chinese and Middle Eastern interest though, hmmm. It's far from over.

It appears I was almost certainly wrong and TFC are willing to do this, or at least willing to make a firm opening bid. (I will be thrilled to eat my hat.)

It's interesting because if TFC are willing to commit $22M or whatever to a player, they really did in fact have a choice on Seba, and they decided they had had enough (of him, of the hardball at $7M a year, both). They just decided to move on. That is incredibly surprising. TFC's willingness to just swap Seba for a no name seems inconceivable.

Pozuelo does seem like a very good player, very worthy of DP status, I am getting excited about him, but wow, we'd be breaking new ground in the league committing this level of dough on a “pure” player (ie someone with zero marketing impact that no one has ever heard of).

I would have thought MLS would do this for Mexican players in Europe long before they got to the general pool of world footballers. (I thought that Jesus Corona idea was interesting.)
    Do not forget that Giovinco is 32. We were willing to make him a top paid player in this league after he has been the most paid player in league history. He made his choice.

If we get Pozuelo, it looks like we get ourselves the key CAM that we’ve been lacking and only 27 years old. I’m in for this adventure and hope it gets done. Altidore is our striker for one more season before we reload there. What we need is 2 decent TAM wingers and we’re going to be an interesting team to watch.

Speaking of interesting, note the similarities between Pozuelo and Giovinco. Both going for the money while being revered in their current teams. This is what the soccer world/sports is all about. Also, MLS is changing its image, as we continue to grow into a selling league. Consider that a 32 year old got a 10m a year contract offer. That is insanity. You know players are looking at that which only means we’ll continue to attract great talent. The MLS/TFC brand is growing and in my mind in a very positive fashion.
    Last edited by barticusz; 02-10-2019 at 11:43 AM. Reason: For clarity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Underwhelming in the context of our past DPs and the smoke the FO was blowing right after Seba left.
    TAM like VV? Yes
    When and where did Manning say this? Link?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TAM like VV? Yes
    You realize when we got Giovinco he was less than a 1 goal in 4 matches player. And yes you could say he was more of an AM in Italy. Well so is this guy. People need to stop making Giovinco out to be a superstar before TFC. His best time was at Parma and still 22 in 66. Obviously he clicked here and became amazing and so can this guy.

As for splash, we got Jozy who bombed out of Sunderland and Bradley who lost his starting spot at Roma. They are great here but they were all a far cry from superstars like Villa, Ibra, Kaka, etc. Besides Manning never said it was a star player at Giovinco's recognition level. He said a player people who followed football would know and if you followed Belgium or Champion's League then you would.

Goals without Jozy is a question but I've learned in MLS you don't count on or count out anyone until the hit the pitch. If some never was from Brentford can become the best striker in MLS for the last 5 years then anything is possible.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 02-10-2019 at 11:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me he’s the right ambition level. I feel better knowing that’s the kind of player we’re going after.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    This.

I'm with you Og but if this thread has highlighted anything it's that a) people were going to be underwhelmed if it was anyone short of Messi being signed and b) people have no clue what they're talking about and have no concept of world football.

Harsh but absolutely true. Apparently there is no higher power than armchair brain trust .
    People who are more than casual fans know that Pozuelo is better than peak VV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is TFC, starz only. They can't compete with Atlanta and the rest of Major League Soccer without Griezmann and De Bruyne.

Seriously though, name recognition is cool, but these are the types of signings that will see MLS catch up to leagues ahead of it (including those leagues that MLS teams are plucking the players from). It's a little more sustainable while still highly ambitious. They won't always work, but hey, nothing is a given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

after watching last nights game .we should sign richie lareya to a dp contract.welcome to fox news

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It certainly seems real that the player is moving. That Chinese and Middle Eastern interest though, hmmm. It's far from over.

It appears I was almost certainly wrong and TFC are willing to do this, or at least willing to make a firm opening bid. (I will be thrilled to eat my hat.)

It's interesting because if TFC are willing to commit $22M or whatever to a player, they really did in fact have a choice on Seba, and they decided they had had enough (of him, of the hardball at $7M a year, both). They just decided to move on. That is incredibly surprising. TFC's willingness to just swap Seba for a no name seems inconceivable.

Pozuelo does seem like a very good player, very worthy of DP status, I am getting excited about him, but wow, we'd be breaking new ground in the league committing this level of dough on a “pure” player (ie someone with zero marketing impact that no one has ever heard of).

I would have thought MLS would do this for Mexican players in Europe long before they got to the general pool of world footballers. (I thought that Jesus Corona idea was interesting.)
    Honestly this move would really excite me. I don't care that he is a "no name" but clearly he gets the job done on the field. This is actually very refreshing to see.