Page 123 of 191 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125126127133173 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,690 of 5725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redskiesatnight View Post
    They might want to cut payroll but they still aspire to be one of the top spenders in the league. Last season they were the top spender by a long margin. Perhaps they don't have to spend that much more than everyone else to still be winners. But wanting to spend money doesn't necessarily mean you will win. So we will see what the new braintrust can come up with. I don't fear a lack of spend, just a lack of competency (but that is yet to be determined).
    Agreed that spending doesn’t always equal championships. But abruptly moving from big spending to a different model always means no championships.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 02-07-2019 at 08:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomLawrence View Post
    Are people genuinely delusional or what? A $1.5m TAM deal, you're having a laugh. He's a regular for one of the biggest teams in Italy and has been great the last couple of seasons. Nor has he had a serious injury in almost 4 years, I'm not sure how that is injury prone. His stats are almost identical to Giovinco's, if not slightly better. He'd instantly be our best player and one of the best in the league. On a TAM deal, jaysus fucking christ.
    ^ yeah agreed. The other part is, we have a relationship with those guys (Bradley deal, friendly over here etc). He has just over a year left on his contract as well. Maybe not as gifted and skills as Gio, he’s doing better than Gio was at this point in his career.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomLawrence View Post
    Are people genuinely delusional or what? A $1.5m TAM deal, you're having a laugh. He's a regular for one of the biggest teams in Italy and has been great the last couple of seasons. Nor has he had a serious injury in almost 4 years, I'm not sure how that is injury prone. His stats are almost identical to Giovinco's, if not slightly better. He'd instantly be our best player and one of the best in the league. On a TAM deal, jaysus fucking christ.
    Hope you are correct. I inferred he was still injury prone because of his low number of Serie A games as a starter, this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

El Shaarawy would be a fantastic signing and would fit the club's needs perfectly. Maybe Curtis can offer a TFC II kid to sweeten the deal, Monchi has never seen a young player he didn't like.

(The second part was sarcasm)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    El Shaarawy would be a fantastic signing and would fit the club's needs perfectly. Maybe Curtis can offer a TFC II kid to sweeten the deal, Monchi has never seen a young player he didn't like.

(The second part was sarcasm)
    maybe we can offer jordano hamiltono,jokes aside.its nice to talk rumours and player stuff.
    Last edited by reggie; 02-07-2019 at 07:00 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if its the 13th, the rumours should drop on Monday?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    I do find it odd that a dormant account of 15 months randomly shows up with "insider" information like this as it's first 3 posts.
    I also find it odd because this is exactly the way Peddie talked, and it is not the way Friisdahl or Manning talk.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I also find it odd because this is exactly the way Peddie talked, and it is not the way Friisdahl or Manning talk.
    Lol. Not sure if I should feel flattered or not. This is no insider info. I don’t work for mlse and attended a meeting about brand building. The presentation (not by mlse) was about mlse biz model and brand building. There were over 60 people in the room. As someone said earlier they aspire to be the YES of Canada. They now understand winning/competing at the top does this. That was my real point. No grassy knoll here boys.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Peace. I accept your scoop at face value. I believe they said this but not that they behave according to those beliefs. I have some thoughts on this but need to find time to put them together.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Agreed that spending doesn’t always equal championships. But abruptly moving form big spending to a different model always means no championships.
    Ummm, there's the team that our current GM previously built that proves you completely wrong on that last point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Peace. I accept your scoop at face value. I believe they said this but not that they behave according to those beliefs. I have some thoughts on this but need to find time to put them together.
    Thanks ensco, but I wouldn’t characterize any of this as a scoop. I saw a simple case study on mlse. My point was actually for the poster who wrote something to the effect of “the suits would be happy saving 10 mill in salary if it cost them 2 mill at the gate”. Based on what I saw and heard I don’t think that’s what they’re trying to do, as that doesn’t achieve their ultimate goal as laid out in a brand vision.

That’s the only point I was trying to make (poorly it appears).

Whether they abide by that brand vision or whether they’re competent enough isn’t my point. And really should be discussed somewhere more relevant than this thread so I’ll stop now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    So if its the 13th, the rumours should drop on Monday?
    Saturday or Sunday when whoever it is gets left out of their teams squad for their game at the weekend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can’t see it being El Shaarawy. Top rated player on Roma and their top scorer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Ummm, there's the team that our current GM previously built that proves you completely wrong on that last point.
    Actually, it doesn’t. Not only did they not win championships, they didn’t lose two core and one excellent but non core player three weeks before the start of the season, after announcing “no changes”
    Last edited by MightyDM; 02-07-2019 at 09:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks ensco, but I wouldn’t characterize any of this as a scoop. I saw a simple case study on mlse. My point was actually for the poster who wrote something to the effect of “the suits would be happy saving 10 mill in salary if it cost them 2 mill at the gate”. Based on what I saw and heard I don’t think that’s what they’re trying to do, as that doesn’t achieve their ultimate goal as laid out in a brand vision.

That’s the only point I was trying to make (poorly it appears).

Whether they abide by that brand vision or whether they’re competent enough isn’t my point. And really should be discussed somewhere more relevant than this thread so I’ll stop now.
    That was me (poster). I don’t doubt the brand stuff at all, and would have been quite interested to hear that presentation. But they are behaving much more in the way I described. At least with TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the transfer rumours note, what happens to the guy who broke the Bez and VV stories. All is forgiven! Come back....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    I would love it but yeah, why would he? And, why would AS Roma let him go?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you think if enough of us say that Raheem is returning he’ll return? It is a gaping hole....

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...paign=02072019

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

El Sha on a $1.5m TAM deal is just absolute nonsense. If he moved here he’d be paid as much as Seba or more, so it’d be a weird move.

You want a like for like player and ball out: sign Insigne.

TFC can’t keep our players healthy, and while Roma is ACL injury land, I don’t think someone with a serious injury history should be here in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Did you think if enough of us say that Raheem is returning he’ll return? It is a gaping hole....

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...paign=02072019

I believe...do you believe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    I Promise...this is my last post re Giovinco. I had to reply.

In the 2016 final, he was playing injured, in sub zero temperatures, on a pitch, that was destroyed by the CFL, a frozen, green-painted, sand-filled, piece of shit. Nobody could play on that pitch. I was there. I walk onto the field at the end of the game, it was ten times worse, than what most fans at the stadium could even imagine.

i am done.
    Exactly. 100% agree on all points!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like the Menendez loan is happening:

Nicolas Bruno @NicholasMBruno

Cuenta @Mati_Martinez en @DeLaCunaAllnf que Jonathan Menendez se ira a prestamo al Toronto FC de Canada.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As much as I like Bradley, it would be prudent to trade or sell him, and somwhow acquire two world class offensive designated players. No point keeping him on this team, unless he transitions to a more forward role (I think he had less than five shots on goal last year).
    Nope - disagree. He was played out of position a bunch of times while other times he was doing the leadership job of both the CB and his own position. Last year was a shit show and people can't seem to put their finger on it.

It's pretty simple - when the entire spine of the team is injured, you can't expect the players that are left to play at 100% of what they are capable of.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    Looks like the Menendez loan is happening:

Nicolas Bruno @NicholasMBruno

Cuenta @Mati_Martinez en @DeLaCunaAllnf que Jonathan Menendez se ira a prestamo al Toronto FC de Canada.
    Jonathan Menendez está a un pasó del #Toronto por 6 meses con cargo de 150 mil dólares y opción 3.5 . #Independiente

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently had the privilege(?) of sitting through a brand meeting around the MLSE brand and it's properties (sport teams to you and me). While it is true that MLSE likes to give its shareholders a dividend each year, their business model is not driven by looking for efficiencies in paper clips (or TFC DP's). Their business model is to drive up their brand equity. Increasing the share price is their ultimate business goal. This THEY believe is accomplished by having their teams be in the top percentile for each of the respective leagues (read: competing for championships every season). Reducing spending and saving money that way isn't part of the calculus for increasing brand equity (and thus share value). So while they may be adjusting the spending around TFC (although I didn't get this sense from them, in fact all DP's along with VV and Osorio were touted as reasons for continued success), they are still looking for TFC to be a championship team (or championship competitive), so don't believe the "they're cheaping out" hype.

Now whether they can achieve these goals is a whole other discussion. But in terms of incoming players, they aren't looking to spend less, just differently.
    Oh that's amazing news! They're not cheap, they're stupid! Whew!! Man i feel better!
    Oh btw: nobody has talked about how these off season moves will effect Altidore. No Giovinco, No VV, off season moves that have drastically hampered the delivery of the ball to him. What type of year is Jozy going to have? How about Osorio. How are the offseason moves going to effect his 2019?
    How is a bad season from those 2 going to effect share prices, and adjustments, and what percentile do they think TFC will be in? Just curious..
    Last edited by InDa_110; 02-07-2019 at 10:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dzeko is Roma's top scorer and they seem intent to groom their young wide attackers in Under and Kluivert. SES is below a healthy Perotti on the depth chart as well. There may not be anything to the rumor, but it does fit. His national team aspirations would play a large role in a decision, but Italy have a solid stable of wingers so if he's being realistic, he'll know his international career likely won't amount to much.
    Last edited by Bobo; 02-07-2019 at 10:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jonathan Menendez está a un pasó del #Toronto por 6 meses con cargo de 150 mil dólares y opción 3.5 . #Independiente

good

Depth pick ups are important. A guy with 40 games played in Primera division (Argentina) vs one of our young players playing is important, nice get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dzeko is Roma's top scorer and they seem intent to groom their young wide attackers in Under and Kluivert. SES is below a healthy Perotti on the depth chart as well. There may not be anything to the rumor, but it does fit. His national team aspirations would play a large role in a decision, but Italy have a solid stable of wingers so if he's being realistic, he'll know his international career likely won't amount to much.

aren't Roma still in the hunt for a champions league spot? They are hardly going to give up a decent option like El Shaarawy when they can't replace him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

aren't Roma still in the hunt for a champions league spot? They are hardly going to give up a decent option like El Shaarawy when they can't replace him?
    They are, but my point is that they have good depth, which is important for any team willing to sell players outside the window. Napoli were/are ready to ship Hamsik to China and they arguably have less depth at CM than Roma do at winger. Obviously, the player's will is crucial.
    Last edited by Bobo; 02-07-2019 at 11:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are, but my point was that they good depth, which is important for any team willing to sell players outside the window. Napoli were/are ready to ship Hamsik to China and they arguably have less depth at CM than Roma do at winger. Obviously, the player's will is crucial.
    To go back to your previous point. Kluivert is still finding his feet in Serie A and not really ready for a full time role. Under hasn't been convincing (all the howling misses).Perotti is always injured. I just can't see them doing it now tbh. Summer yea maybe.

That's just my impression. I'm getting back into Serie A but still not to the levels I watched it in the 90's/early 00's.