Page 120 of 191 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120121122123124130170 ... LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,600 of 5725
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    Even if it's a rumour, how would he fit in the team?..
    Play VV's position but better. Would expect him to play 0 defense tho. Doesn't matter cuz it ain't happening

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Do you have inside information?
    I will bet you $1000 this team does not upgrade this year or next. By upgrade meaning a player who has more goals and assists than Giovinco did in all competitions in any year he was here. If you would like to accept please PM me for my seat location so you know where to meet for payment after your new players first year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    VDW was not a key player. If his name was Peter Smith and came from Columbus with the exact same skill set he would have been on the run out of town train mid last season. Only reason he gets mentioned as being 'key' is because of where he played years ago.
    The problem was not his skill set. He had loads of skill. His problem was work ethic. He floated. He didn't put in the effort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InDa_110 View Post
    I will bet you $1000 this team does not upgrade this year or next. By upgrade meaning a player who has more goals and assists than Giovinco did in all competitions in any year he was here. If you would like to accept please PM me for my seat location so you know where to meet for payment after your new players first year.
    Dude, relax. My point is none of us have any idea yet what they're going to do or who they're going to sign.

Instead of making proclamations we should just be patient and follow up on any rumours and hope for the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude, relax. My point is none of us have any idea yet what they're going to do or who they're going to sign.

Instead of making proclamations we should just be patient and follow up on any rumours and hope for the best.
    I sincerely hope for the best for this team too. But the fact is anyone who is potentially better than Giovinco is either not "affordable", not coming to MLS, or not coming to TFC after what this debacle did to their reputation. Players side with players. And considering those factors, I was and am that confident nobody better is coming. I hope I am wrong, but I know I'm not.
    Last edited by InDa_110; 02-06-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sincerely hope for the best for this team too. But the fact is anyone who is potentially bettwr than Giovinco is either not "affordable", not coming to MLS, or not coming to TFC after what this debacle did to their reputation. Players side with players. And considering those factors, I was and am that confident nobody bettwr is coming. I hope I am wrong, but I know I'm not.
    I get your frustration, but I really don't see this as a debacle on TFC's part. One could argue they could've played it differently, but one could argue they were basically forced into it as well (not to rehash things).

My point is that I really don't think this is going to negatively affect TFC in terms of recruitment. I don't think 'players side with players' exclusively - players will do the best thing for themselves and their families regardless of what may have transgressed with other players, especially in a case like this where, even if TFC were in the wrong (which I don't even believe they were), it certainly wasn't egregious.

I think we'll be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mods - can we please move the Giovinco talk where it belongs. Out of 120 pages there are maybe 4 pages worth of posts that are actually on topic. This thread holds little value for the purpose that it is supposed to serve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get your frustration, but I really don't see this as a debacle on TFC's part. One could argue they could've played it differently, but one could argue they were basically forced into it as well (not to rehash things).

My point is that I really don't think this is going to negatively affect TFC in terms of recruitment. I don't think 'players side with players' exclusively - players will do the best thing for themselves and their families regardless of what may have transgressed with other players, especially in a case like this where, even if TFC were in the wrong (which I don't even believe they were), it certainly wasn't egregious.

I think we'll be fine.
    Recruitment as far as players who are potentially better than Giovinco, I think this has hurt tremendously.
    I think TFC was not just wrong, but selfish and stupid. This was the franchise player. He was the centerpiece of the championship and the best player. He brought a large affluent ethnic community to the games, he sold jerseys, he made his teamates better. And his skill set was not washed up or done. Ownership was wrong. Thise 2018 stats from a page or 2 ago by KJ should have everyone very alarmed. Especially thiae who claim he was in decline.

Anyhow, I admire your optimism, and hope you are right, but I really think his loss is going to be realized once the games begin. And I really 100 per cent believe that we will never have a player with his all competition stats in any year ever again, especially not in the next 2 or 3 seasons.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    Mods - can we please move the Giovinco talk where it belongs. Out of 120 pages there are maybe 4 pages worth of posts that are actually on topic. This thread holds little value for the purpose that it is supposed to serve.
    You would be staring at a lot of blank pages without the Giovinco posts. It will pass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

blank pages are better than giovinco talk, he's gone, lets stay on point!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC let him go because he wanted more money. If they wanted too they could've said fuck you and play out your contract and made him stay this year. Don't see how this would affect anyone decision when they player got what he wanted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bignickel View Post
    blank pages are better than giovinco talk, he's gone, lets stay on point!
    yes please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    You would be staring at a lot of blank pages without the Giovinco posts. It will pass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

last one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe PATO or OSCAR!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have they played any friendlies leading up to the first CCL game? Just vs Las Vegas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
    Have they played any friendlies leading up to the first CCL game? Just vs Las Vegas?
    i think a couple of college teams.LAG.vegas, a mex team coming up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    MLSE could somehow manage to sign Messi, Ronaldo and Bayle. Nothing will compare to those magical moments Seba brought us. This whole transfer thing was a debacle and will be a stain on this team for a decade or more. MLSE has more money than God, they could have given him $10 mil per season for three more years. I call bullshit on his age issue, because those free kicks will be sailing off his boot for years, only for a different club.
    Oh come on - time to let it go. If you want a cold shower on Seba... think back to how he didn’t show up for the 2016 playoff run...and cramped and subbed himself in the final. He plays a a good game - then we win 2 CUPS in a row - even if he was fit enough to take a penalty we win. Signing a 32 year old for a 5 year deal at the money he got would have been the craziest thing TFC had ever done. There are lot’s of better players than Gio (don’t get me wrong I appreciate the 4 years he had with us) we just need to convince one of them to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much profit does TFC actually generate? Because regardless of how much money MLSE has, they're not just going to flush money down the toilet on a "feel-good" salary for an aging player when they could potentially upgrade the position instead.
    They haven't made a profit in years!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Oh come on - time to let it go. If you want a cold shower on Seba... think back to how he didn’t show up for the 2016 playoff run...and cramped and subbed himself in the final. He plays a a good game - then we win 2 CUPS in a row - even if he was fit enough to take a penalty we win.
    Not necessarily. Remember, we missed two penalties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    They haven't made a profit in years!
    That's what I thought - which actually further bolsters the idea that any big money they put into the club really is done for the purposes of trying to win. MLSE wants to win, and no one should question that.

Now, I'm not naive of the fact that winning can breed future financial success, but still.
    Last edited by James17930; 02-07-2019 at 03:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yassine Benzia would be a great signing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much profit does TFC actually generate? Because regardless of how much money MLSE has, they're not just going to flush money down the toilet on a "feel-good" salary for an aging player when they could potentially upgrade the position instead.
    Exactly, it is not that good in a business sense, to throw away 10m a year, that is just irresponsible, let's just move on with those Seba moments in our memories and hope the best for our team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcmanu View Post
    Maybe PATO or OSCAR!!!
    Look at what NYCFC did this week. From David Villa to...well have a look. I suggest that’s more our future than these names.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Yassine Benzia would be a great signing
    I've adopted Lille as my alternative team because my son is working a couple of years there before transferring back to Toronto. I've actually been to a couple of games (PSG, OL) last year and follow their matches on streams.

Benzia is an incredibly frustrating player. The talent is there but he never makes the obvious or simple play, always holding the ball too long or trying to beat defender one-on-one when there are better options. Benzia is far from VV and I wouldn't even put him ahead of Osorio.

Other Lille players like Pepe or Mendes would be exellent additions to TFC but their transfer cost would be way more than the club is willing to pay.
    Last edited by snowcrash; 02-07-2019 at 08:57 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Oh come on - time to let it go. If you want a cold shower on Seba... think back to how he didn’t show up for the 2016 playoff run...and cramped and subbed himself in the final. He plays a a good game - then we win 2 CUPS in a row - even if he was fit enough to take a penalty we win. Signing a 32 year old for a 5 year deal at the money he got would have been the craziest thing TFC had ever done. There are lot’s of better players than Gio (don’t get me wrong I appreciate the 4 years he had with us) we just need to convince one of them to come.
    I Promise...this is my last post re Giovinco. I had to reply.

In the 2016 final, he was playing injured, in sub zero temperatures, on a pitch, that was destroyed by the CFL, a frozen, green-painted, sand-filled, piece of shit. Nobody could play on that pitch. I was there. I walk onto the field at the end of the game, it was ten times worse, than what most fans at the stadium could even imagine.

i am done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about a beer I am also in Section 110
    Last edited by Derko; 02-07-2019 at 09:18 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Exactly, it is not that good in a business sense, to throw away 10m a year, that is just irresponsible, let's just move on with those Seba moments in our memories and hope the best for our team.
    Sounds like a good suggestion, not sure everyone is ready to move on. Maybe after TFC makes a couple of more significant signings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snowcrash View Post
    I've adopted Lille as my alternative team because my son is working a couple of years there before transferring back to Toronto. I've actually been to a couple of games (PSG, OL) last year and follow their matches on streams.

Benzia is an incredibly frustrating player. The talent is there but he never makes the obvious or simple play, always holding the ball too long or trying to beat defender one-on-one when there are better options. Benzia is far from VV and I wouldn't even put him ahead of Osorio.

Other Lille players like Pepe or Mendes would be exellent additions to TFC but their transfer cost would be way more than the club is willing to pay.
    I would agree with this assessment as someone who has seen him play as well (though not at Fener). Probably talented but wasteful and no end product. Could it work in MLS? Maybe, but I’m hoping they sign someone with some end product; guys like Janson or Aketxe I’d put in a similar boat. Obviously there’s something there, but if they can’t find the back of the net or provide some creativity there’s really no point.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS is an odd league in that you can get a high quality guy from a better league who should tear the league up but they go on to falter or are merely average (ie. every Orlando DP so far) yet you can get a guy from some trash league who never became anything and they turn out great (BWP).

Of all leagues I watched MLS makes the least sense. The only way to surely know a guy will be good is when they get here and do it.

So when people mention these 'lesser' name guys like NYCFC got, I reserve judgment because one of them can click and nail 20+ goals next season. Or they select the right mixture and become less Villa dependent and have a more complete squad. Anything is possible.