Page 112 of 191 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122162 ... LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,360 of 5725
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    TFC publicly said he is done as a member of the team. How do you turn that around?
    Hah...Roger Nielsen came out with a paper bag on his head. Anything is possible when MLSE is involved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Hah...Roger Nielsen came out with a paper bag on his head. Anything is possible when MLSE is involved.
    Ahh. Those were the days...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He didn’t actually do it, Ballard just wanted him to... but you win the internet tonight for this one!
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney is clearly the best coach that we have had. But, he struggled last season, and made some stupid decisions regarding player selection for those Spring MLS games, which he forfeited. So, he and VDW get into a fight. VDW is sent packing. Then Victor, then Seba. In the midst of this, we need a coach with composure, with a cool head. Getting rid of an adversary can sometimes send the wrong message.
    Without knowing what happened, it is hard to put 100% blame on VDW. It is not, as I have said, a contest between a pain in the ass player, and the worlds greatest coach, as the latter also has a lot to prove this year. If I were the new manager, I would ask these two to shake hands, and show the supporters that the #1 priority is to bring back a winning team.
    And, I doubt TFC would allow VDW to use the facilities if they were bent on moving him.

I back Vanney to sort out VDW one way or the other..the test will be the results this year. Ferguson did the same with Jap Stam... at the end of the day the coach is measured on results. The one lesson I hope Vanney takes for next year is to always try to win the next game. Trying to be clever and resting players and virtually conceding 3-4 tough away matches comes back to haunt you. Make hay when you can. Always out out the best team available and win the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    He didn’t actually do it, Ballard just wanted him to... but you win the internet tonight for this one!
    Funny story, Harold Ballard’s wife sat behind my father in law’s Leafs season seats at the ACC. Well maybe not technically his wife. Apparently she changed her name legally to Ballard after he wouldn’t formally marry her.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please, give some news to actually chew over. I am starved and the food (for thought) that I am being fed here is quite stale.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny story, Harold Ballard’s wife sat behind my father in law’s Leafs season seats at the ACC. Well maybe not technically his wife. Apparently she changed her name legally to Ballard after he wouldn’t formally marry her.
    What ever happened to Yolanta?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was just watching an interview with Kristian Jack and Caldwell from a couple of days ago. One tidbit KJ gave was “make no mistake TFC are going to sign a designated player, an attacking player shining in his league right now”.
    I realize that could mean absolutely anyone but it kind of gets me excited. He also said they would be bringing in 3-4 good players before the season starts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What ever happened to Yolanta?
    Yolanda? That was her. She’s around. She’s pickled.

I realize the transfer discussion has hit another low. Sorry Luanda.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    Was just watching an interview with Kristian Jack and Caldwell from a couple of days ago. One tidbit KJ gave was “make no mistake TFC are going to sign a designated player, an attacking player shining in his league right now”.
    I realize that could mean absolutely anyone but it kind of gets me excited. He also said they would be bringing in 3-4 good players before the season starts.
    Here's a guy that meets that description exactly that got signed to a DP deal today. Would this excite you?
    https://www.rsl.com/post/2019/02/04/...ignated-player
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we were to sign Marcel De Jong to a position as occasional starter/bench player would that be a good signing for the club?? as i notice VWFC decided to move on from him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a guy that meets that description exactly that got signed to a DP deal today. Would this excite you?
    https://www.rsl.com/post/2019/02/04/...ignated-player
    Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not lol but no it doesn’t get me overly excited. However I really like KJ and the way he speaks about this impending signing makes me think it will be a little more high profile than that particular signing. I will also add that I have never heard of this guy before so who knows he may be the next Giovinco for all I know!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not lol but no it doesn’t get me overly excited. However I really like KJ and the way he speaks about this impending signing makes me think it will be a little more high profile than that particular signing. I will also add that I have never heard of this guy before so who knows he may be the next Giovinco for all I know!
    Not sarcasm. Being serious.

When you look at who Manning and Curtis were when they had the opportunity to shape clubs, this is the kind of player they went after. Which I am fine with, but I suspect a large majority here would power vomit a move like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    If we were to sign Marcel De Jong to a position as occasional starter/bench player would that be a good signing for the club?? as i notice VWFC decided to move on from him
    Apparently he signed with Pacific FC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sarcasm. Being serious.

When you look at who Manning and Curtis were when they had the opportunity to shape clubs, this is the kind of player they went after. Which I am fine with, but I suspect a large majority here would power vomit a move like that.
    The important thing is the hipsters know he’s a big signing.

What about NYCFC’s new DP:

Alexandru Mitrita- $8.5 million fee. He'll make under $1 million.

Kinda the same ballpark I’d say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, understand where you are coming from. Yeah I would rather we get someone with potential even if I don’t know a lot about them rather than some of the names that have been thrown out on here. But I also understand people getting excited by big name players and if it is someone in their prime I would probably get excited too. I think the character of the player is hugely important if they are to be a success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that is a lot of money, I did a double take, but when you consider PSG was prepared to pay 11 million for Acosta from D.C, this buying/ selling thing becoming appealing to MLS sides. Maybe TFC tries to do the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, understand where you are coming from. Yeah I would rather we get someone with potential even if I don’t know a lot about them rather than some of the names that have been thrown out on here. But I also understand people getting excited by big name players and if it is someone in their prime I would probably get excited too. I think the character of the player is hugely important if they are to be a success.
    My apologies this was supposed to be in reply to Ensco

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I was the guy who started the 'Vanney Out' thread a few years ago and I led the charge against him for a little over a year. However I admitted I was wrong, gave him another chance, and the rest is history. Also, I don't care if Vanney chased VDW down to cause that spat. He deserves it. He loafed a whole season and 100% wasted that TAM spot. If anything is Vanney's fault , it's taking until this pre-season to confront VDW. This should have happened during the Whitecaps match last fall. If anyone can watch that match back and say VDW can help us and is a solid TAM player then I don't know what to say to you but you're crazy.
    I wasn't sold on him at first either but grew to appreciate him over time.

Vanney is clearly the best coach that we have had. But, he struggled last season, and made some stupid decisions regarding player selection for those Spring MLS games, which he forfeited.
    The team struggled, Vanney did very well in improvising an injured squad. I wouldn't say "Vanney struggled" (any more than any coach would with a depleted squad).

In retrospect, prioritizing the CCL to the detriment of those early games looks like a mistake, but the goal was set by Bill Manning, Vanney's job was to follow orders and try to make it work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by azorean View Post
    Yeah, that is a lot of money, I did a double take, but when you consider PSG was prepared to pay 11 million for Acosta from D.C, this buying/ selling thing becoming appealing to MLS sides. Maybe TFC tries to do the same.
    PSG low-balled DC because they need someone to fill in for Neymar while he’s injured. Their sporting director is also a complete shambles, inept, fucked up more than one transfer window, and Tuchel didn’t even want Acosta.

Tuchel: midfielder required. Oh, Neymar is dead again too. Can we have someone who can fill in considering we have no fit midfielders on the defensive side?
    Antero: okay, I’ll fuck up the de Jong transfer, nearly fuck up the Paredes one, and fuck up every other request you had.

As a PSG supporter (I’m from Paris), the Acosta deal would have been absurd. I just assumed it was fake news.

Almiron is one case of MLS becoming a buy/sell league, let alone an actual academy product/sell league. And considering who was in for Almiron, it’s not exactly the happiest most motivating thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    PSG low-balled DC because they need someone to fill in for Neymar while he’s injured. Their sporting director is also a complete shambles, inept, fucked up more than one transfer window, and Tuchel didn’t even want Acosta.

Tuchel: midfielder required. Oh, Neymar is dead again too. Can we have someone who can fill in considering we have no fit midfielders on the defensive side?
    Antero: okay, I’ll fuck up the de Jong transfer, nearly fuck up the Paredes one, and fuck up every other request you had.

As a PSG supporter (I’m from Paris), the Acosta deal would have been absurd. I just assumed it was fake news.

Almiron is one case of MLS becoming a buy/sell league, let alone an actual academy product/sell league. And considering who was in for Almiron, it’s not exactly the happiest most motivating thought.
    Yeah, I thought it was fake news too at first, but from reading further into it, it actually almost got done it seems. Kind of seemed D.C hinted at possibly other options selling him down the road too. They paid something like 2 ?? Million for Acosta 2 years ago, that would of been great business. Why do you say PSG low-balled? I thought the offer was too generous! Anyways, just think MLS sides becoming increasingly aware of selling....guys like kelyn Acosta, coming off injury, traded, etc , Rapids still got 3 million offer for him from championship side !
    Last edited by azorean; 02-04-2019 at 11:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I thought it was fake news too at first, but from reading further into, it actually almost got done it seems. Kind of seemed D,C hinted at possibly other options selling him down the road too. They paid something like 2 ?? Million for Acosta 2 years ago, that would of been great business. Why do you say PSG low-balled? I thought the offer was too generous! Anyways, just think MLS sides becoming increasingly aware of selling....guys like kelyn Acosta, coming off injury, traded, etc...Rapids still got 3 million offer for him from championship side !!
    DC asked for more and PSG shut them down instantly. Their ask was basically nothing for them, so any real interest was minimal. Plus the fact the coach didn’t want him at all and was confused as to why he was going after players no one wanted. Antero is on his way out after running afoul of both Tuchel and Nasser and is just being a dickhead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    DC asked for more and PSG shut them down instantly. Their ask was basically nothing for them, so any real interest was minimal. Plus the fact the coach didn’t want him at all and was confused as to why he was going after players no one wanted. Antero is on his way out after running afoul of both Tuchel and Nasser and is just being a dickhead.
    Well, may be so, but fact of the matter is he actually travelled to France, and there were more rumours of other EPL sides being interested. I am sure all this might be BS, but I am also pretty sure thanks to his play, and playing with Rooney has helped of course, but I am pretty sure DC are going to make a nice tidy profit eventually on a guy they purchased for not even 2 million only a couple of years ago. Also, players like Tyler Adams looking good already in Germany, made team of the week or something like that, with large sell on clause. It is not a tsunami by any means, but things slowly shifting, MLS teams figuring they can make money selling. MLS is a capped league, these deals may not appear huge to rest of soccer world but I am sure have an impact on the average MLS side / league.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding vdW, I wonder if some journalist could ask: did TFC use up their one-per-season buyout on Aketxe, or is that still available to be used on someone like vdW? (Then again, I'm still not sure if the "new" TFC wants to throw over US$800k out the window...)

How do buyouts work if a player has multiple years left on his contract?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, may be so, but fact of the matter is he actually travelled to France, and there were more rumours of other EPL sides being interested. I am sure all this might be BS, but I am also pretty sure thanks to his play, and playing with Rooney has helped of course, but I am pretty sure DC are going to make a nice tidy profit eventually on a guy they purchased for not even 2 million only a couple of years ago. Also, players like Tyler Adams looking good already in Germany, made team of the week or something like that, with large sell on clause. It is not a tsunami by any means, but things slowly shifting, MLS teams figuring they can make money selling. MLS is a capped league, these deals may not appear huge to rest of soccer world but I am sure have an impact on the average MLS side / league.
    The Acosta thing was just a stopgap and they gave a number they wanted. DC decided to play hardball, he wasn’t even in Tuchel’s plans (he had a shortlist in which Acosta didn’t even remotely figure), and now he’s apparently upset. Neymar is purposely targeted by butchers over and over again (that’s the reason he’s injured again and several teams are under investigation over media comments), so there’s not much of a reason Acosta wouldn’t be out after a week anyway.

I like the Davies at Bayern, etc. stories, but Acosta was only an Antero thing, which means it was either idiotic or not actually in the works. He almost blew the Paredes signing when PSG had no fit midfielders whatsoever. In any case, Draxler and Di Maria can both play his role so it wouldn’t have made much of a difference. PSG just got rid of Adli, whose skill ceiling is higher than Acosta’s, is younger, and will be worth more in the future anyway. They could also just force Rabiot to play, who, again, is better than Acosta.

The whole thing is sad for him, because a jackass who doesn’t know how to do his job made him hope he’d be starting in CL games against United, when it was all just a ploy to piss everyone off because he’s on his way out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Regarding vdW, I wonder if some journalist could ask: did TFC use up their one-per-season buyout on Aketxe, or is that still available to be used on someone like vdW? (Then again, I'm still not sure if the "new" TFC wants to throw over US$800k out the window...)

How do buyouts work if a player has multiple years left on his contract?
    When the people paying you to ask questions are the same people who own the team, you don’t ask the complicated ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like an Attacking midfielder to me. We were linked with another DP that was an AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently he signed with Pacific FC.
    Woot woooot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He should have showed his response after watching that whole match.