Page 108 of 191 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118158 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,240 of 5725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    I was thinking the same thing yesterday. He lasts a year in Saudi Arabia. but my vision had him coming back to TFC!!
    I really hope not. The best response from management in this situation is a Big “Eff you” signing...no one is bigger than the club...we will move on and get better.

that comment from Vanney that Jozy is a few weeks away leads me to think that we won’t see him play for us this season. We need two weeks to close the deals on the VV and Seba replacements...then Jozy who hasn’t signed an extension can go. We announce Bradley has extended for 2-3 more years. Replace Jozy with another DP. I’d rather extend Jozy for 3 years at 29 - but if we can’t then he should go now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The more I think about all of this, I think TFC should have offered to pick up the option on Seba, Jozy and Bradley post 2017 and one more year in addition at the same wages. It’s a way of saying “we really value you” and protecting the club. If they said no, which was apparently quite possible for Seba, at least the club made a genuine effort, didn’t insult the players, and then could have planned properly over 2018 in order to find proper replacements and possibly try them out on loan a la Janson. Based on their own words they are scrambling at the last minute and that doesn’t bode well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    The more I think about all of this, I think TFC should have offered to pick up the option on Seba, Jozy and Bradley post 2017 and one more year in addition at the same wages. It’s a way of saying “we really value you” and protecting the club. If they said no, which was apparently quite possible for Seba, at least the club made a genuine effort, didn’t insult the players, and then could have planned properly over 2018 in order to find proper replacements and possibly try them out on loan a la Janson. Based on their own words they are scrambling at the last minute and that doesn’t bode well.
    According to KJ there is no option in Jozy's contract.

Dunno about Bradley.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These DP contracts may well be what got Leiweke fired. (Listen, nobody knows for sure what happened with his departure, least of all me, but I have always thought that Leiweke abused his authority as perceived by Bogers and Tanenbaum on that. It is a fact that Tanenbaum turned on Leiweke more or less right after the signings.)

So imho there is no chance that Manning would have asked his bosses for USD 18M incremental for team harmony reasons.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think it's possible that Seba came for the money, he left for the money, and he likes it here. They can all be true.
    Exactly. There doesn't always have to be a villain in these scenarios. My only issue with him is the unnecessary and unjustified parting shots he took at management.

He had an opportunity to make an extra 10-12 million dollars over the next few years before he likely retires and he took it. I can't say I blame him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably, but the FO’s decision making has been incredibly suspect basically forever. There are moves that are absolutely brilliant, but even those leave you with a lot of questions. The salaries of our DPs, who have been effective, is one of them. How can the same FO absolutely fleece FCC for Hagglund but overpay Van der Wiel? How can you find a brilliant defender like Mavinga and give Nephew a raise? How can they bring in VV on nothing and expect to replace him with Aketxe?

Everything is a gamble, and it’s hard to discern what they’re actually thinking. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t.

Even clubs that can afford everything are hamstrung by questionable decision making (see: Henrique at PSG); TFC logic is the equivalent of spinning a roulette wheel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Yeah - the first time he sees some dude smacking his servant around in the middle of the street (or his wife), I think it'll Dawn on him.
    Do a quick you tube search of ppl that tried Saudi for a week or 2 before committing to a job.
    Its baffling anyone would go for any amount of money.

I have a feeling he's not playing out his contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE and Seba screwed each other...they are both guilty, but the writing was on the wall with Seba a while ago, shame on him not honouring his contract and shame on MLSE for disrespecting what he brought to the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    If all was true about the bone fragments in Jozy’s foot for the last two years, I was actually looking forward to see him play pain free this year. I know people have their opinions but I personally hope he stays. Looking forward like everyone else to hear about who is coming in. I remember the games where Jozy and Seba were both off the field at the same time. Our team had zero offensive bite. Don’t want to see a full year of that if they are both gone and not replaced properly for some offense.

Jozy impacts the game even when not scoring. He draws in and exhausts defenders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Do a quick you tube search of ppl that tried Saudi for a week or 2 before committing to a job.
    Its baffling anyone would go for any amount of money.

I have a feeling he's not playing out his contract.
    The smart thing for him is to send his family to Torino and fly back to visit every now and then.

Take the 11.5 million, work on his coaching badges and return to Italy or Toronto to retire.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the transfers thread.

Off topic posts on pre-season camp and Vanney's coaching quality have been deleted.

General TFC discussion belongs here: http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...91#post1885891
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way Kristian jack is talking about a dp sounds like a bit of a bigger name. I did some research. James rodriquez is 27. Transfer market website says his contract ends in 6 months (june 30th 2019, so he's able to sign that pre contract now). Bayern paid a 13 million euro fee to real madrid for his loan. Since he's near end of contract that fee could be anywhere up to 15 million USD of what we could afford (management says it will be one of the highest mls fees paid). Could this be a possibility?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    The way Kristian jack is talking about a dp sounds like a bit of a bigger name. I did some research. James rodriquez is 27. Transfer market website says his contract ends in 6 months (june 30th 2019, so he's able to sign that pre contract now). Bayern paid a 13 million euro fee to real madrid for his loan. Since he's near end of contract that fee could be anywhere up to 15 million USD of what we could afford (management says it will be one of the highest mls fees paid). Could this be a possibility?
    No chance.

And that date is his loan with Bayern. His contract with Real is until 2021

Contract until: 30.06.2019
    Contract option: Option to buy
    on loan from: Real Madrid
    Contract there until: 30.06.2021
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 02-03-2019 at 03:54 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    No chance at this point, he would have a number of opportunities in Europe.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    No chance.

And that date is his loan with Bayern. His contract with Real is until 2021

Contract until: 30.06.2019
    Contract option: Option to buy
    on loan from: Real Madrid
    Contract there until: 30.06.2021
    Thanks didn't see that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    No chance at this point, he would have a number of opportunities in Europe.
    He definitely isn’t in their current plans and wants to leave, but his salary would probably make him the top paid player in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m really surprised everyone is taking at face value the FO’s saying they are close to a DP signing. It’s pretty obvious they weren’t expecting Giovinco to go. It took months to get his signature. You really think they are anywhere near that? I don’t buy it.

If I bungled the contract of the best player we ever had, I’d be making up some BS about someone coming in of huge quality to get the supporters talking, speculating and dreaming. It’s been a successful PR strategy so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I’m really surprised everyone is taking at face value the FO’s saying they are close to a DP signing. It’s pretty obvious they weren’t expecting Giovinco to go. It took months to get his signature. You really think they are anywhere near that? I don’t buy it.

If I bungled the contract of the best player we ever had, I’d be making up some BS about someone coming in of huge quality to get the supporters talking, speculating and dreaming. It’s been a successful PR strategy so far.
    Pretty much. We ate it up so fast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Pretty much. We ate it up so fast.
    Did we though? I think most are skeptical.

It also seems like they are holding off on announcements for Menéndez and Boyd until a bigger piece of business is done. Knowing they’ll get savaged in the press

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right. Because from Manning's and Curtis' perspective, two weeks of people saying "wait and see" is worth the firestorm that will come when the players they promised aren't signed and we start the season.

Come on now. That's irrational behaviour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Right. Because from Manning's and Curtis' perspective, two weeks of people saying "wait and see" is worth the firestorm that will come when the players they promised aren't signed and we start the season.

Come on now. That's irrational behaviour.
    You scramble like hell to get someone first of all.

If you can’t you start the process of sensititizing people to it. Having trouble agreeing to terms, ITC is delayed, etc.

Government does this all the time.
    Last edited by Canary10; 02-03-2019 at 05:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You scramble like hell to get someone first of all.

If you can’t you start the process of sensititizing people to it. Having trouble agreeing to terms, ITC is delayed, etc.

Government does this all the time.
    If they were making it up, they wouldn't be putting a timeline on it. They'd just say they're pursuing a DP and leave it at that. Not specify he'd be here in two weeks. That's too short a window to make something happen... unless something is already happening.

When we signed Vazquez, Bez said he was on our radar for over a year, and we had approached him previously. You think we haven't done something similar, with all 3 of our aging DPs nearing the end of their contracts? I'd be shocked.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have been told since the first draft of Bez that this team is constantly scouting people for what if scenarios. I think its a scramble to then get irons in the fire and work on a signing once they know Seba is leaving. They all said a week - when they said 2 weeks that was not what was preferred.

The idea that the team would tell journos who and swear them to secrecy while not having an actual person they are in discussions with to sign? This is not credible.

I will say this though. Whomever we get in, the forwards in Panama are going to be from the group - Hamilton, Bakero, & Akinola.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is so true..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    We have been told since the first draft of Bez that this team is constantly scouting people for what if scenarios. I think its a scramble to then get irons in the fire and work on a signing once they know Seba is leaving. They all said a week - when they said 2 weeks that was not what was preferred.

The idea that the team would tell journos who and swear them to secrecy while not having an actual person they are in discussions with to sign? This is not credible.

I will say this though. Whomever we get in, the forwards in Panama are going to be from the group - Hamilton, Bakero, & Akinola.
    Our TFC journalist were parroting the party line the entire time the Giovinco rumours were swirling. We got no information from them until after it was announced in other media. Hard to take them seriously.

I’m not saying they don’t have ideas, I just don’t think they are anywhere as far in the process as they say. I’m just putting my opinion out there.

Does anyone know how long the Giovinco deal took? I seem to remember it was half a year or something.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Kloke's book, the first Bez meeting with Seba took place between Christmas and New Year. Seba was on the radar for over a year before that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    In Kloke's book, the first Bez meeting with Seba took place between Christmas and New Year. Seba was on the radar for over a year before that.
    We should figure out if/where Manning and Curtis are travelling to. That will probably tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    If they were making it up, they wouldn't be putting a timeline on it. They'd just say they're pursuing a DP and leave it at that. Not specify he'd be here in two weeks. That's too short a window to make something happen... unless something is already happening.

When we signed Vazquez, Bez said he was on our radar for over a year, and we had approached him previously. You think we haven't done something similar, with all 3 of our aging DPs nearing the end of their contracts? I'd be shocked.
    Yep, there’s a lot of negative energy on here (and Reddit too), but even if they didn’t think Seba would force his way out they’d obviously have someone in mind to eventually replace him as contract issues have been going on for some time. While they may have been “surprised,” it doesn’t make sense that they’d have no consideration on who we could pick up after a season of contract implications and injuries to just about everyone.

It’s easy to be angry and get upset at the loss of a fan favourite, but it’s warming up outside and the MLS transfer window isn’t even open. Let’s see what they’re going to do and complain once they’ve done it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Manning was on with Bob McCown the other day stating that TFC will be signing a replacement for Seba that folks who know football will appreciate as a big signing – in short i believe he was trying to placate the masses, or an uprising. They had no idea VV and Seba would jump ship at this juncture – all this nonsense that he will be someone that the discerning football community will recognize is code words for nobody will have a clue who he is outside of the football geeks.

Not saying that it might not be a good signing but there is ZERO way TFC planned this and he WILL NOT be of the quality of Seba – full stop.

Seba, after 4 years, knew the league and could, and would, definitely transition into a brilliant AM – no doubt about it.

To note for all the detractors – Seba’s numbers last year were stellar considering ¾ of the team were injured as well as his own infirmaries. There was no consistency up top, middle or defensive line – ever in 2018.

I agree that this is on Seba as well but F’ me dead this is something an “in-tune” management should have understood about whining stars – Seba says, “pls placate me” – that being said maybe they tried and tried but there was no way – I find it hard to believe but oh well who really knows. The fact is Seba preferred to remain in Toronto, wanted his family here and they liked it here.

I’m sorry but it still pisses me off.

I also still feel like I’ve been played as far a SSH renewal but saying that I do understand it’s a business thang – never-the-less I still feel deceived….

Bottom line – I know the team above any individual is where it’s at – TFC ‘til I die – but there is something about developing a foundation, an ethic, a tradition that hundreds of years from now will be looked upon with honour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two other things make me think they don’t have an imminent signing:

One, the number of times Manning said in interviews that when anyone called to kick the tires on Giovinco they balked as soon as they heard the salary. They thought they were paying him enough that no one would touch him. I think they thought they had him for this year for sure.

Two, they have already walked back the language on who this DP is. The first we heard of it the night the Giovinco news broke he was a big name that would command the highest transfer fee ever in MLS. Now he’s a guy discerning fans will know is a big signing. They’ve been engaging in expectation lowering already.

I hope it’s all on the up and up. Trust me, I don’t want a wasted year!