Page 104 of 191 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114154 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,120 of 5725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Look, I’m just saying the team we had with VV and Giovinco and everyone healthy (the majority of players played on a stretcher last year) is likely a better team than what we’ll have without them. But we’ll see once/if they bring in the replacements. It’s simple. Why they left is irrelevant to the discussion.
    Yeah, but I’m not the guy dismissing an intelligent comment because I didn’t want to read it.

VV was a talented player with a good pedigree but a terrible career arc and at the end of his career at best a mercenary (he played, poorly, for a bad Cruz Azul side prior to being here). He is probably a permanent injury case. No way we got a solid year from him this year (and we didn’t last year). He was also payed peanuts by MLSE and wanted a raise to DP status (deservedly).

Which DP do you get rid of for a VV DP this year where he spends half in the hospital and a quarter on the field (a quarter in rehab, obviously)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Oddly enough today I was thinking about how I liked it more than twitter hahaha
    pick your poison..lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Menendez eh. Wonder who else is coming.
    Pretty sure that 6 month loan is because they'll have to freeze VDW until the summer window to unload him so that's the 3rd TAM guy. If that's the 2 TAMs plus whatever DP the reporters say is good then we will be okay.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomLawrence View Post
    No, the most successful clubs in weaker leagues do both. Completely trying to rely on academy talent is unrealistic and impossible. No club is churning out a class of 92 every few seasons, it isn't possible. Every club needs the right balance of academy talent along with young players bought from elsewhere.

Ajax's biggest 3 transfers ever have all happened in the last 3 years and none of them were academy players. Frenkie de Jong from Willem II. Davinson Sanchez for €5m from Atletico Nacional sold for about 10 times more. Milik from Bayer Leverkusen for €2.8m, sold for over 10 times more. PSV broke a transfer record to sign RvN at 22 and then sold him for 3 times as much. Not to mention other high transfer earners like Suarez, Zlatan, and Ronaldo. Not one of them from Ajax or PSV's academies.

Porto signed James for
    €5.1 and sold for 9 times as much. Bought half of Hulk for 5.5m and sold for 40m. Bought 60% of Falcao for 4m and sold for 40m. Jackson Martinez for 9m sold for 35m. Benfica rebought Ederson for €500,000 and sold for 40m. Signed Witsel for 8m and sold for 36m. Others include Lindelof, Di Maria, Danilo, and Anderson. These are the biggest transfers in Liga Nos history, not academy players.

The biggest clubs in weaker leagues make their money by buying young talents for 5-10m and selling for large profits. They have the odd academy player but the largest profits are from buying and selling. You can pick out some of the best talents in South America or elsewhere for 5-10m. You can't just magically produce €20m players on the regular out of kids from Toronto. Vancouver isn't suddenly some academy guru because of Alphonso Davies. He was one of a kind, that isn't a sustainable model because there isn't another Davies just hanging around Vancouver. Sure Porto produced Andre Silva but they don't have Andre Silva's coming out of every age group, that isn't sustainable and anyone expecting that is delusional. Hence why no succesful club operates like that. Producing Renato Sances and Guedes doesn't stop you from buying Witsel, Lindelof, Di Maria etc. and later selling for huge profits.

So yes the biggest clubs in the Netherlands and Portugal develop some players from their academy and sell to big leagues but they buy even more young players in the their early 20s who they flip for massive profits. Their real money earner.

A ton of valuable insight/facts in this post.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    this site has been so negative,im jus sick of it...
    Yeah. It’s going both ways. Some are attacking Giovinco, some the team and the ownership. It’s a fuckn hard time right now. Everyone’s dealing with massive changes. I agree the board’s gone pretty negative and it’s hard to have a reasonable conversation about it all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Yeah. It’s going both ways. Some are attacking Giovinco, some the team and the ownership. It’s a fuckn hard time right now. Everyone’s dealing with massive changes. I agree the board’s gone pretty negative and it’s hard to have a reasonable conversation about it all.
    No, it’s perfectly understandable. Management didn’t want to pay what players could make on huge budgets for end of career in Saudi. If management cuts costs, good for them. MLSE does MLSE. Same reason I’d never use Rogers or Bell (or Telus, Shaw, etc.).

Look at every prem team and complaining about spending and ownership.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is driving me crazy are the non sequitor responses. The Norwich supporter ( poor bugger) says “ there is no guarantee the new players will make us a better team than if we had VV and Seba” and the response is “They left for money”. They could have left because they got a modelling contract, it does not matter to the point Canary is making. There isn’t a conversation period when it’s like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Pretty sure that 6 month loan is because they'll have to freeze VDW until the summer window to unload him so that's the 3rd TAM guy. If that's the 2 TAMs plus whatever DP the reporters say is good then we will be okay.
    i guess not janson anymore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least you admit you are wrong. Good for you.
    Apologies for that dismissive comment. At that moment I couldn’t read the post. Should have just left it for later instead of the comments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why cant we jus get along

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    What is driving me crazy are the non sequitor responses. The Norwich supporter ( poor bugger) says “ there is no guarantee the new players will make us a better team than if we had VV and Seba” and the response is “They left for money”. They could have left because they got a modelling contract, it does not matter to the point Canary is making. There isn’t a conversation period when it’s like that.
    Hey we’re back where we belong on the bubble between the Prem and the Championship baby.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I said from the start we could be better and younger. I also said last year we should lose Jozy, VV, VDW, Irwin, and Zavaleta. Seba shocked me but I have zero problem with getting younger. But it's as always a wait and see whether we do it or not.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I won't simply take sides in what is a matter of contract negotiations. I also haven't been able to watch the full Curtis interview yet.

However "we didn't anticipate" wow that's effin' hilarious.

BTW I'm not sure if suddenly offering contract extensions to Bradley & Altidore is a great idea either. Depends on the number, I guess. Seems a bit reactive and panicky. Do people think Bradley, turning 32 in July, should still be a DP next year, especially at his position?
    Spot on Bradley is the one that should have had a pay cut ....btw he probably wouldn’t mind IMO...
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    All three are poor options and none come close to Séba’s talent.
    Lacazette = overhyped and inconsistent. He’s been shit at Arsenal
    Ozil = the definition of moody. Only plays when he feels like it, which isn’t very often these days
    Benzema = Trouble with a large capital “T”
    lacazette overhyped ? Inconsistent? He rarely got the starts ...guess you’ve missed his goals he’s part of a deadly duo .with Aubameyang...when they get the chance ...I can only guess who you support the other two who cares ....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so this thread has become a 5 star thread,lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem with Lacazette, Ozil, & Benzima was first, none of them are worth what they get and more importantly, none fit with what everyone said was coming (age, stature, wage).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    lacazette overhyped ? Inconsistent? He rarely got the starts ...guess you’ve missed his goals he’s part of a deadly duo .with Aubameyang...when they get the chance ...I can only guess who you support the other two who cares ....
    Seeing this again makes me angry who is overhyping lacazette? No one on this board because he isn’t leaving arsenal. It’s a post about random players that are at big clubs on huge wages that are never coming to mls.

Its like someone from a Swedish hockey league team’s msg board writing that William nylander is not playing so well so don’t sign him. Ok thanks for the analysis but it’s pointless.
    Last edited by SirBobSaget; 02-02-2019 at 12:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, the most successful clubs in weaker leagues do both. Completely trying to rely on academy talent is unrealistic and impossible. No club is churning out a class of 92 every few seasons, it isn't possible. Every club needs the right balance of academy talent along with young players bought from elsewhere.

Ajax's biggest 3 transfers ever have all happened in the last 3 years and none of them were academy players. Frenkie de Jong from Willem II. Davinson Sanchez for €5m from Atletico Nacional sold for about 10 times more. Milik from Bayer Leverkusen for €2.8m, sold for over 10 times more. PSV broke a transfer record to sign RvN at 22 and then sold him for 3 times as much. Not to mention other high transfer earners like Suarez, Zlatan, and Ronaldo. Not one of them from Ajax or PSV's academies.

Porto signed James for
    €5.1 and sold for 9 times as much. Bought half of Hulk for 5.5m and sold for 40m. Bought 60% of Falcao for 4m and sold for 40m. Jackson Martinez for 9m sold for 35m. Benfica rebought Ederson for €500,000 and sold for 40m. Signed Witsel for 8m and sold for 36m. Others include Lindelof, Di Maria, Danilo, and Anderson. These are the biggest transfers in Liga Nos history, not academy players.

The biggest clubs in weaker leagues make their money by buying young talents for 5-10m and selling for large profits. They have the odd academy player but the largest profits are from buying and selling. You can pick out some of the best talents in South America or elsewhere for 5-10m. You can't just magically produce €20m players on the regular out of kids from Toronto. Vancouver isn't suddenly some academy guru because of Alphonso Davies. He was one of a kind, that isn't a sustainable model because there isn't another Davies just hanging around Vancouver. Sure Porto produced Andre Silva but they don't have Andre Silva's coming out of every age group, that isn't sustainable and anyone expecting that is delusional. Hence why no succesful club operates like that. Producing Renato Sances and Guedes doesn't stop you from buying Witsel, Lindelof, Di Maria etc. and later selling for huge profits.

So yes the biggest clubs in the Netherlands and Portugal develop some players from their academy and sell to big leagues but they buy even more young players in the their early 20s who they flip for massive profits. Their real money earner.

Agree 150%. Even the best academies go through long dry spells (hello Barcelona) and exceptional talent can come at any time from anywhere. Not many will admit it but having a great network of scouts and analysts is probably much more lucrative than an academy looking to turn 12-year olds into future stars.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    Seeing this again makes me angry who is overhyping lacazette? No one on this board because he isn’t leaving arsenal. It’s a post about random players that are at big clubs on huge wages that are never coming to mls.
    Truth, we simply are not getting any ‘superstars’ period . Even with their almost zero communication to TFC supporters , The mgmt team has made it clear they want talent but without the ‘price’tag . Bit late of course , nobody read the memos ? ,and wondering if they are a bit panicky now . They should be , I think their future in mgmt demands an answer . It’ll definitely show us months ahead where MLSE IS heading if we’re losing fans and games and Manning is still here . BTW , I’m now dreading CCL ....( What happened to the CCL priority?, .a hard fought reputation may be ruined overnight . There are some players and fans of course that will wear that on their sleeve .

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this site has been so negative,im jus sick of it...
    reggie you've been among the most dismissive of anybody who doesn't want to 100% blame the players, or who might just be a bit sad that Giovinco's leaving so suddenly, even if it's for the best long term. That also brings in lots of negativity to the thread.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 02-02-2019 at 12:40 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pick your poison..lol
    Hahaha pretty much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Greedy? Seba is a 32 year old father of two, plying his trade in a foreign country, and like any other sensible and responsible person, wants to earn the most that he can, while he can. He clearly wanted to remain in Toronto. It wasn’t his fault MLSE refused to meet his demands. Doubling his income drove him away. But, to argue this is his fault, is to ignore the fact that MLSE made countless millions marketing Seba as the face of TFC, benefiting from revenue when the stadium was full, and from the playoff and CCL ticket gouging.

When Seba was fit, the team won, and the fans came. In 2018, with the injuries, etc., and the team losses, the crowds thinned, concessions were down, giving mgmt a sense of what the future might hold, if the losing tradition resumed. Again, this wasnt Giovinco’s fault. He could easily take on a Higuain role, and lead the team, for many years.

MLSE has spent multiple millions in salaries on their losing hockey club, for 52 years without a championship. They parade old players, raise banners, go through the motions, as if they were a championship team. If the Leafs were in the hunt for the Cup this year, and all they needed to get over the top, was to sign a 40 year old Mark Messier, or Mario Lemieux, for a month, they would pay him $10 million and throw in a mansion on Post Road.

But not Seba. All that he did, was win an MVP, score beautiful goals, entertain thousands of new soccer fans, take the team to two finals, winning a championship for the first time. For this, doesnt he deserve that $10 mil? So many of you have argued about his age, and the high salary, as though the $ was coming out of your pocket. He deserved the contract because he, unlike Sittler, Salming, Gilmour, actually won something.

When is MLSE going to erect a statue of Giovinco in MLSE Square?
    I would very much argue that he doesn't deserve anything more than he presently made. I would also argue that it was ONLY because of Toronto FC and the city of Toronto fans that he was even able to create a "Brand" for himself. I think he benefitted more than anyone in this relationship, including the club. Had he stayed on the bench in Italy, he would have made way less money, and faded away without anyone noticing.

Instead, he comes to a league(which I love, and enjoy) thats clearly a step below the Serie A, and goes on to blow everyone away with skills they have not seen in this league, and creates a name for himself, and his brand. The city, and even league were amazed by him. But there is no Atomic Ant/Giovinco Brand anywhere else but here, because he wouldn't have even be a standout(no offence to him - best of MLS).

On top of that, I doubt if he's a little known sub in Italy at 32, a club comes offering 10 mil euros a season.

As a few others have said, he chases the money. Nothing wrong with that, it's just what he does, and i'm fine with not paying him 7mil even when it's not my money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why cant we jus get along
    Hey look at it this way: if we just picked up a backup striker and a CB this offseason by mid December this thread would be about 12 pages.

Now we all get to stand high on top of our soap boxes and rant!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    reggie you've been among the most dismissive of anybody who doesn't want to 100% blame the players, or who might just be a bit sad that Giovinco's leaving so suddenly, even if it's for the best long term. That also brings in lots of negativity to the thread.
    i dont know what you mean by that...i support the crest on the front not the name on the back,players are jus rentals/mercenaries.that is ok that is sports these days,im jus tired of people on here saying mlse are out to screw us.remember mlse bought the team and put alot of money into the stadium,without them none of this would exist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMAN80 View Post
    I would very much argue that he doesn't deserve anything more than he presently made. I would also argue that it was ONLY because of Toronto FC and the city of Toronto fans that he was even able to create a "Brand" for himself. I think he benefitted more than anyone in this relationship, including the club. Had he stayed on the bench in Italy, he would have made way less money, and faded away without anyone noticing.

Instead, he comes to a league(which I love, and enjoy) thats clearly a step below the Serie A, and goes on to blow everyone away with skills they have not seen in this league, and creates a name for himself, and his brand. The city, and even league were amazed by him. But there is no Atomic Ant/Giovinco Brand anywhere else but here, because he wouldn't have even be a standout(no offence to him - best of MLS).

On top of that, I doubt if he's a little known sub in Italy at 32, a club comes offering 10 mil euros a season.

As a few others have said, he chases the money. Nothing wrong with that, it's just what he does, and i'm fine with not paying him 7mil even when it's not my money.
    logic and facts,what a novel idea

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you mean like Atlanta? .
    Pity Martinez is not the same approach as Almiron.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont know what you mean by that...i support the crest on the front not the name on the back,players are jus rentals/mercenaries.that is ok that is sports these days,im jus tired of people on here saying mlse are out to screw us.remember mlse bought the team and put alot of money into the stadium,without them none of this would exist
    OK got it, so you must always defend our benevolent corporate overlords, and take pot shots at any player or fellow supporter who doesn't 100% agree with you (and then complain about negativity in the thread).
    Last edited by Auzzy; 02-02-2019 at 07:08 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so this thread has become a 5 star thread,lol
    4.5 - just like on Amazon, competitors hire people to give you 1 star

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It isnt really about Seba leaving.
    The contract he signed was simply too much. North American teams are finally figuring out to play players in their prime, rather than for past performance.
    That said, after renewals, after a price hike, after losing our GM, we are now losing our stars.
    Are we tearing it down?
    Are we done being a top spender in MLS?
    Are we looking to develop players rather than bring in high end DPs?
    We will only know from actions. A couple days ago management said Seba wasnt going anywhere.
    They have lost a lot of trust so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have to separate the crest from the ownership. It’s not the same thing.