Page 103 of 191 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,090 of 5725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    They sign this young DP, Hanni, another TAM guy plus Boyd & DeLeon and that's already a better team.
    Come on. It’s not a better team. Unfortunately we will never have a better team than the 2017 team.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    The most successful clubs develop their own players through their academy systems and sell to the bigger leagues.
    No, the most successful clubs in weaker leagues do both. Completely trying to rely on academy talent is unrealistic and impossible. No club is churning out a class of 92 every few seasons, it isn't possible. Every club needs the right balance of academy talent along with young players bought from elsewhere.

Ajax's biggest 3 transfers ever have all happened in the last 3 years and none of them were academy players. Frenkie de Jong from Willem II. Davinson Sanchez for €5m from Atletico Nacional sold for about 10 times more. Milik from Bayer Leverkusen for €2.8m, sold for over 10 times more. PSV broke a transfer record to sign RvN at 22 and then sold him for 3 times as much. Not to mention other high transfer earners like Suarez, Zlatan, and Ronaldo. Not one of them from Ajax or PSV's academies.

Porto signed James for
    €5.1 and sold for 9 times as much. Bought half of Hulk for 5.5m and sold for 40m. Bought 60% of Falcao for 4m and sold for 40m. Jackson Martinez for 9m sold for 35m. Benfica rebought Ederson for €500,000 and sold for 40m. Signed Witsel for 8m and sold for 36m. Others include Lindelof, Di Maria, Danilo, and Anderson. These are the biggest transfers in Liga Nos history, not academy players.

The biggest clubs in weaker leagues make their money by buying young talents for 5-10m and selling for large profits. They have the odd academy player but the largest profits are from buying and selling. You can pick out some of the best talents in South America or elsewhere for 5-10m. You can't just magically produce €20m players on the regular out of kids from Toronto. Vancouver isn't suddenly some academy guru because of Alphonso Davies. He was one of a kind, that isn't a sustainable model because there isn't another Davies just hanging around Vancouver. Sure Porto produced Andre Silva but they don't have Andre Silva's coming out of every age group, that isn't sustainable and anyone expecting that is delusional. Hence why no succesful club operates like that. Producing Renato Sances and Guedes doesn't stop you from buying Witsel, Lindelof, Di Maria etc. and later selling for huge profits.

So yes the biggest clubs in the Netherlands and Portugal develop some players from their academy and sell to big leagues but they buy even more young players in the their early 20s who they flip for massive profits. Their real money earner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he was under contract for 2019. he didn't need to go anywhere. he should have just played out his contract and then see what happens next. there would have been no shortage of suitors for him after this season.if
    as Cathal Kelly of the globe and mail wrote Now he gets to play out whatever remains of his prime for Al-Hilal of the Saudi Pro League. This is a little like if Connor McDavid decided to play hockey in Brazil.

his soccer life is over. if I was him I would feel like I have just died. I was the star of TFC, the competition was fierce in the league and I was the best. Now I am going to play soccer if Saudi Arabia
    hes going to be really rich but he was going to be really rich anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomLawrence View Post
    No, the most successful clubs in weaker leagues do both. Completely trying to rely on academy talent is unrealistic and impossible. No club is churning out a class of 92 every few seasons, it isn't possible. Every club needs the right balance of academy talent along with young players bought from elsewhere.

Ajax's biggest 3 transfers ever have all happened in the last 3 years and none of them were academy players. Frenkie de Jong from Willem II. Davinson Sanchez for €5m from Atletico Nacional sold for about 10 times more. Milik from Bayer Leverkusen for €2.8m, sold for over 10 times more. PSV broke a transfer record to sign RvN at 22 and then sold him for 3 times as much. Not to mention other high transfer earners like Suarez, Zlatan, and Ronaldo. Not one of them from Ajax or PSV's academies.

Porto signed James for
    €5.1 and sold for 9 times as much. Bought half of Hulk for 5.5m and sold for 40m. Bought 60% of Falcao for 4m and sold for 40m. Jackson Martinez for 9m sold for 35m. Benfica rebought Ederson for €500,000 and sold for 40m. Signed Witsel for 8m and sold for 36m. Others include Lindelof, Di Maria, Danilo, and Anderson. These are the biggest transfers in Liga Nos history, not academy players.

The biggest clubs in weaker leagues make their money by buying young talents for 5-10m and selling for large profits. They have the odd academy player but the largest profits are from buying and selling. You can pick out some of the best talents in South America or elsewhere for 5-10m. You can't just magically produce €20m players on the regular out of kids from Toronto. Vancouver isn't suddenly some academy guru because of Alphonso Davies. He was one of a kind, that isn't a sustainable model because there isn't another Davies just hanging around Vancouver. Sure Porto produced Andre Silva but they don't have Andre Silva's coming out of every age group, that isn't sustainable and anyone expecting that is delusional. Hence why no succesful club operates like that. Producing Renato Sances and Guedes doesn't stop you from buying Witsel, Lindelof, Di Maria etc. and later selling for huge profits.

So yes the biggest clubs in the Netherlands and Portugal develop some players from their academy and sell to big leagues but they buy even more young players in the their early 20s who they flip for massive profits. Their real money earner.

I’m seriously bored with this conversation. I can’t read past paragraph 2 of this. You win the argument.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Greedy? Seba is a 32 year old father of two, plying his trade in a foreign country, and like any other sensible and responsible person, wants to earn the most that he can, while he can. He clearly wanted to remain in Toronto. It wasn’t his fault MLSE refused to meet his demands. Doubling his income drove him away. But, to argue this is his fault, is to ignore the fact that MLSE made countless millions marketing Seba as the face of TFC, benefiting from revenue when the stadium was full, and from the playoff and CCL ticket gouging.

When Seba was fit, the team won, and the fans came. In 2018, with the injuries, etc., and the team losses, the crowds thinned, concessions were down, giving mgmt a sense of what the future might hold, if the losing tradition resumed. Again, this wasnt Giovinco’s fault. He could easily take on a Higuain role, and lead the team, for many years.

MLSE has spent multiple millions in salaries on their losing hockey club, for 52 years without a championship. They parade old players, raise banners, go through the motions, as if they were a championship team. If the Leafs were in the hunt for the Cup this year, and all they needed to get over the top, was to sign a 40 year old Mark Messier, or Mario Lemieux, for a month, they would pay him $10 million and throw in a mansion on Post Road.

But not Seba. All that he did, was win an MVP, score beautiful goals, entertain thousands of new soccer fans, take the team to two finals, winning a championship for the first time. For this, doesnt he deserve that $10 mil? So many of you have argued about his age, and the high salary, as though the $ was coming out of your pocket. He deserved the contract because he, unlike Sittler, Salming, Gilmour, actually won something.

When is MLSE going to erect a statue of Giovinco in MLSE Square?

he was under contract for 2019. he didn't need to go anywhere. he should have just played out his contract and then see what happens next. there would have been no shortage of suitors for him after this season.if
    as Cathal Kelly of the globe and mail wrote Now he gets to play out whatever remains of his prime for Al-Hilal of the Saudi Pro League. This is a little like if Connor McDavid decided to play hockey in Brazil.

his soccer life is over. if I was him I would feel like I have just died. I was the star of TFC, the competition was fierce in the league and I was the best. Now I am going to play soccer if Saudi Arabia

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m seriously bored with this conversation. I can’t read past paragraph 2 of this. You win the argument.
    At least you admit you are wrong. Good for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post

I understood that he and MLSE began renegotiating last season, so you are partly correct. None of us know precisely what happened in the interim, except that he was being offered much less than his current salary. His agent may have been influenced by the handling of Nylander, and how MLSE capitulated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s not really an argument. He’s right and has posted something insightful and provided the appropriate research.

It’s an insightful post. Don’t be so dismissive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    So does the team get any allocation money for Giovinco?

We received $2.3 million ( I know it's likely a slightly difference amount but I'm going to work with this number). TFC pockets 3/4 of this so $1,725,000 of which we can convert $750K towards allocation money, after deducting any "out-of-pocket" expenses for the player.

So what is an out-of-pocket expense? We didn't pay a transfer fee for Gio. We did pay a DP salary. What expenses are counted? If it's salary over and above the cap hit then we wouldn't get any allocation money for VV either. I'm sure I heard an interview with someone after VV was sold that stated we gained some salary cap relief with that sale.
    TFC keeps all the transfer fee. We get zero allocation money. Out of pocket expenses include Seba's salary. So we would have only received allocation money if the transfer fee was more than the $28m Seba has made in 4 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jonathan Menendez linked with TFC again. Loan deal.

http://www.delacunaalinfierno.com.ar...ronto-por.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come on. It’s not a better team. Unfortunately we will never have a better team than the 2017 team.
    But this isn't 2017. It's 2 years later and players age. Also 2018 is in-between 2017 & 2019 and we had a different roster that wasn't as good as 2017 already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What appears to be a reputable Argie source is linking TFC with a 6 month loan with an option to buy for 24yr old winger Jonathan Menendez. Some of you may remember that there was a link with him last off season before Independiente loaned him to a team in Qatar. I'm gonna wager this is one of the potential TAM signings.

Source https://twitter.com/Mati_Martinez/status/1091500970545172480

If you check his instagram page there are pics of him in Raptors gear too which is an awful coincidence

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matias Martinez:

Se reflotó la posibilidad de que Jonathan Menendez pase 6 meses a préstamo al #Toronto . Con cargo y con opción. #Independiente

Translated from Spanish by Microsoft
    The possibility of Jonathan Menendez spending six months on loan to the #Toronto. With charge and option. #Independiente

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But this isn't 2017. It's 2 years later and players age. Also 2018 is in-between 2017 & 2019 and we had a different roster that wasn't as good as 2017 already.
    So we add an unknown DP striker and an unknown TAM CAM and we’re already a better team than last year? That’s what you’re saying? I just want to make sure I understand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post

Did you forget that he only came here to become the highest paid player in the league?

He left his heart on the pitch, but at the end of the day he brought glory and trophies to Toronto, made all the highlight reels, made people focus attention on the team and the league (even abroad), and raised the profile of both TFC and the league.

Pirlo retired after being pretty poor at NYCFC and Gigi is at PSG (to name some of his ex-teammates who were actually starters). Benatia is off to the Middle East, Bonucci went to Milan and back, etc.

Neymar and Mbappé didn’t join PSG because the reporters in Paris are any nicer than those in Barcelona and Monaco. They went because a country with a terrible human rights record paid them boatload of cash. Does that mean they’re jerks for leaving Barca and Monaco? No, they’re professional footballers.

MLSE isn’t alone in picking up a bench player and trusting they can change. Atlanta did the same with Martinez, who was shit at Torino.

The McDavid reference is idiotic. He’s a young top prospect on a bad team who basically any other team in the league would love to have and pay big bucks for. Giovinco is rapidly aging, not a player who benefits from the Buffon longevity, and has gone to a league that pays him boatloads of cash so he can retire and live out the rest of his life nicely. McDavid is 22 and hockey players last longer than footballers. Whoever wrote that article should be ashamed of themselves and quit writing garbage op/ed nonsense about subjects they clearly don’t understand.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we add an unknown DP striker and an unknown TAM CAM and we’re already a better team than last year? That’s what you’re saying? I just want to make sure I understand.
    DP striker possibly not at Giovinco level. Hanni if happens is at least equal to Vasquez but no history of injuries and younger. The potential other TAM replaces VDW who's defining moments were sitting on his ass for a goal or getting caught out on another. Also last year we had our worst defensive season ever. Worse than Mo, Mariner, or Winter. Less points than 2009. So if to you that's good then congratulations on enjoying low standards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Paul Mariner scouting report*. For those so inclined

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K7poAjTfY4

*Copyright OG
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 02-01-2019 at 09:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DP striker possibly not at Giovinco level. Hanni if happens is at least equal to Vasquez but no history of injuries and younger. The potential other TAM replaces VDW who's defining moments were sitting on his ass for a goal or getting caught out on another. Also last year we had our worst defensive season ever. Worse than Mo, Mariner, or Winter. Less points than 2009. So if to you that's good then congratulations on enjoying low standards.

I’ll take a wait and see approach. It depends on who we get, how they integrate, adapt to the MLS game, etc. On paper I would probably take a team with VV and Giovinco plus health over whoever they get to fill those spots. That was the team that was a shootout away from winning the Champions League after all. But, again, we’ll see who they get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ll take a wait and see approach. It depends on who we get, how they integrate, adapt to the MLS game, etc. On paper I would probably take a team with VV and Giovinco plus health over whoever they get to fill those spots. That was the team that was a shootout away from winning the Champions League after all. But, again, we’ll see who they get.
    Sure, but VV was perpetually injured, and also wanted a final payday. Where did he move? Saudi League. He was a DP on a TAM budget, like how Montreal fudged Piatti’s figures. He also wanted more money and TFC didn’t want to pay him.

You expect them to bring back the people who were on low salaries, injured much of the season, and even give them a raise to keep them from financial security for their family?
    Last edited by stegosaurus; 02-01-2019 at 09:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Sure, but VV was perpetually injured, and also wanted a final payday. Where did he move? Saudi League. He was a DP on a TAM budget, like how Montreal fudged Piatti’s figures. He also wanted more money and TFC didn’t want to pay him.

You expect them to bring back the people who were on low salaries, injured much of the season, and even give them a raise to keep them from financial security for their family?
    I was just responding to a question of whether the team is better with VV and Giovinco gone and some other players we don’t know for sure in their place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just responding to a question of whether the team is better with VV and Giovinco gone and some other players we don’t know for sure in their place.
    Is it any surprise that both left to a league where they’d get paid way more than here?

Also, VV basically played on a stretcher the whole season. If you can’t read an intelligent post without dismissing it outright you shouldn’t be discussing anything.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watched a lot of highlights of this Sofiane Hanni guy and I'm impressed. Has height, has nice passing and dribling abilities and can shoot with both feet. He would definitely help us as a TAM player. 2016 Belgian player of the year and currently 28 yrs old. Vazquez was 2015. Ivan Perisic was 2011.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it any surprise that both left to a league where they’d get paid way more than here?

Also, VV basically played on a stretcher the whole season. If you can’t read an intelligent post without dismissing it outright you shouldn’t be discussing anything.
    Look, I’m just saying the team we had with VV and Giovinco and everyone healthy (the majority of players played on a stretcher last year) is likely a better team than what we’ll have without them. But we’ll see once/if they bring in the replacements. It’s simple. Why they left is irrelevant to the discussion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why bother...they are jus trolls that are part time supporters,that have to complain about anything mlse the big bad corp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    why bother...they are jus trolls that are part time supporters,that have to complain about anything mlse the big bad corp.
    How long have I been on this board Reggie?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Menendez eh. Wonder who else is coming.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

……..……….Bono...….
    Morrow...………
    ……..……..Bradley.....Delgado.....
    …….Altidore...….Boyd...….

Still need five more guys to form starting line up for the US national team and they can play for TFC between US games.
    They all count as domestics so why not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am starting to think that these guys are impact trolls that are jus messing with us lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long have I been on this board Reggie?
    this site has been so negative,im jus sick of it...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    this site has been so negative,im jus sick of it...
    Oddly enough today I was thinking about how I liked it more than twitter hahaha