Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
Co signed.

They outsmarted themselves, got cocky because upgrading Johnson with Vazquez had worked so well.
IIRC Beita had a clause to make a minimum of about $350,000 if they picked up his optiun, plus some guaranteed bonuses that would've pushed it into TAM range.

Still should've done it. In this league he's a first-team fullback all day long.

I have no doubt that a player of VDWs pedigree might've had tactical and motivational problems with how Vanney presents himsefl... because I have those and I'm not even a player, let alone one with his pedigree. Having said that, he did not put in the requisite effort last year. Vanney was right about that. He got beaten to the ball, was slow off the trigger, frequently lost his concentration. I'd say if we didn't have injuries in the back line we'd have had to move him to CB anyway because he was a liability out wide. But even in the middle h e had real coverage brain freezes, where he just played a guy too tight then lost track of him almost immediately.

Won't be sorry to see him gone. I'm sure there's some team in the middle east that will pay him exorbitant sums to be a name.