Page 115 of 191 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115116117118119125165 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,450 of 5725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1...

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
    Giovinco was a blessing and Lieweke got shit done. He was a bench player that didn't have miles on his legs. Lieweke can spot talent. When he was removed, Bez failed in spotting that same talent. Our 3 DP's were the result of Lieweke and he was a maestro. His tenacity to find winners is what I miss the most. I don't think the current FO will be as good tbh, not even close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was it really Leiweke doing this scouting though? I highly doubt it. The staff are still there to do that, but they are of course under direction regarding the kind of names to bring forward.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    But isn't that where the 'reduce our player salaries" thing comes in? That's the current direction from above, if our reporters have it right (whether they do is another question). And our current management, surprise, has a history of doing exactly that - putting together teams on lower budgets.
    Reducing player salaries can mean from $18M on 3 DPs to $15M on 3 DPs. The cut was never specified. One key part that has been included every time this budget got brought up by Manning was that the ownership wanted to get younger. That's an important component that everyone chooses to gloss over and it's something that is vital because our squad was/is old(ish) and slow regardless of age.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was it really Leiweke doing this scouting though? I highly doubt it. The staff are still there to do that, but they are of course under direction regarding the kind of names to bring forward.
    No. You didn’t have to “scout” Giovinco (same for Bradley and Altidore).

Seba wasn’t a fixture, but he was a regular in the 18 at Juve for years, and had logged serious Italian MNT minutes.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zorsofstesab View Post
    +1...
    To be fair, it could be argued the actual hard part in building a winner in MLS is building a roster that complements your DPs and Bez brought in some nice players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giovinco was a blessing and Lieweke got shit done. He was a bench player that didn't have miles on his legs. Lieweke can spot talent. When he was removed, Bez failed in spotting that same talent. Our 3 DP's were the result of Lieweke and he was a maestro. His tenacity to find winners is what I miss the most. I don't think the current FO will be as good tbh, not even close.
    you are giving Lieweke way too much credit. He didn’t identify anyone Bez did go look at all of the articles written when Seba signed. He is a sales guy, the carnival barker. I will give him credit as he got MSLE to open their wallets and spend big. But the thing with DP signings is they are either very good Seba, Henry, Bradley etc or they flame out like Defoe, Marquez or washed up like lampard, pirlo, Gerrard

Until this FO puts their stamp on this team there is no point in trying to compare also if there is a reduction in budget then it’s not really an apples to apples comparison. On a side note I’m interested to see what Bez does when he doesn’t have a near unlimited budget like he did here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Reducing player salaries can mean from $18M on 3 DPs to $15M on 3 DPs. The cut was never specified. One key part that has been included every time this budget got brought up by Manning was that the ownership wanted to get younger. That's an important component that everyone chooses to gloss over and it's something that is vital because our squad was/is old(ish) and slow regardless of age.
    I think ownership wants our payroll to be in line with the other top spending clubs in MLS. Last year we were the number one club at 26 million, and number two was LA Galaxy at 17.5 million to put things in perspective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I think ownership wants our payroll to be in line with the other top spending clubs in MLS. Last year we were the number one club at 26 million, and number two was LA Galaxy at 17.5 million to put things in perspective.
    I think this is probably correct. We've lost, what, $8 million in salary with VV and Giovinco? Bending that cost curve will be hard, let alone getting it down to the top spending teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I keep scanning through rosters looking for who this DP could be. Honestly, I feel this signing is going to be amazing or entirely underwhelming. There isn't a very long list of players that fit the mould described.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is probably correct. We've lost, what, $8 million in salary with VV and Giovinco? Bending that cost curve will be hard, let alone getting it down to the top spending teams.
    I don't think they expect it done in one winter window. They had 3 expiring contracts at $18M+. That's your savings there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I keep scanning through rosters looking for who this DP could be. Honestly, I feel this signing is going to be amazing or entirely underwhelming. There isn't a very long list of players that fit the mould described.
    There is if you consider Mexico and all of S.A.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing that really narrows the list isn't the leagues but more the name recognition part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

James Rodriguez?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder which footballers Drake has in his Rolodex?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    The thing that really narrows the list isn't the leagues but more the name recognition part.
    Didn't he say people that know football would know the guy and that he wasn't as big a name as Giovinco when he came?

When Giovinco came he was only a big name to folks that followed Juve, Serie A, or the IMNT. I barely knew of him because I follow none of those things. So if this guy is less known than than then it means you'd have to be into his national team or team/league to know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I wonder if there’s some sort of direction from MLS as well. Having the most expensive team not even being American puts the stingy owners in a bad PR position, I suppose. Considering how irritatingly hands-on they can be (no, you can’t pay Frei that! No, you can’t have a DP CB, etc.), and considering the salary gap, it wouldn’t surprise me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the MLSE board room has been busy today with committing over $55M to Auston Mathews. Next up will be something similar to Mitch Marner, so the cash is being thrown around MLSE land. Will be interesting to see how this plays into TFC and mow much they can spend.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...act-extension/

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some details on Toronto signing Terrence Boyd: Told his base salary is around $200k. Deal is guaranteed for 2019 with multiple option years. Low-cost flyer for a solid talent.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We keep talking about S.A. players. But does our style of play line up with what a decent S.A. player is used to? I feel like our team doesn't have that flare to nurture a good S.A. player. Mexican I can see more being in line.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    We keep talking about S.A. players. But does our style of play line up with what a decent S.A. player is used to? I feel like our team doesn't have that flare to nurture a good S.A. player.
    Honestly who cares where a player is from as long as he performs and fits into what the Reds are trying to achieve.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Well the MLSE board room has been busy today with committing over $55M to Auston Mathews. Next up will be something similar to Mitch Marner, so the cash is being thrown around MLSE land. Will be interesting to see how this plays into TFC and mow much they can spend.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...act-extension/

They will always spend to the cap for the Leafs because they are the bread winners. No real indication of their financial mood IMO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Good deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boyd on 200k is a very good deal

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suggest reading Kloke's book on the history of TFC. Your version of events needs a little revising.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    I'm interested to see what Bez does when he doesn't have a near unlimited budget like he did here
    If he does poorly: "you see, he was only successful because of Lieweke/unlimited budget/maple syrup. MLSE were idiots for hiring him."

If he does brilliantly: "How could they let the genius architect of our team get away to help Columbus? MLSE were idiots to let him go."

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Honestly who cares where a player is from as long as he performs and fits into what the Reds are trying to achieve.
    From a performance standpoint, yes, but I have a friend who won't follow the team unless there is at least one Italian on the squad. This same effect may apply to other nationalities.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you read Joshua Kloke's book on TFC
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was watching the Giovinco highlight reels last night. He scored some insane goals. We’re just not getting a guy like that. It’s four years later, the market has continued to go up, not down, and we have less money to spend. He was probably once in a lifetime. We need to adjust expectations quite a bit.
    not sure this is correct.

market has gone up, but MLS stock has also risen, meaning more and more players willing to come to the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the Boyd pickup, especially at that number. I'm also optimistic that having Ayo surrounded by Jozy and Boyd will do numbers for his development. He will be working with guys who know how to navigate the highs and lows of being a USMNT star and hopefully this is something that will help him both on and off the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    I am hoping that the player or players that are brought in actually have the same or more of an impact than Giovinco, not to discount or trivialize anything that Giovinco has done for TFC on the pitch and off of the pitch, Isn't that what team evolution is supposed to be all about, but perhaps I am forever the optimist
    This will not happen. We will be lucky if he has the impact of Koevermans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Few have mentioned this, and, despite his reduced production last year, who amongst these available designated players, can deliver a free kick like Seba can? Finding a 25 year old who can curve a knuckleball over the wall, ain’t gonna be easy.

In 2017, and CCL, this was an important part of TFCs success. Who are we going to give that ball to now? Delgado? Bradley? Osorio? The uber player they are telling us they are bringing here, better have some skill in this area.
    yes, agreed. Lets start with the idea that Seba was unique there and anticipate wingers and RB's and attacking mids so as not to be too disappointed