Page 118 of 191 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128168 ... LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,540 of 5725
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Yeah that I agree would delay an announcement.

I’m with Ensco, and I think you, that we’re better getting it right than getting it fast. So I’m not going negative about the lack of news.
    I remember back in 'the good days' if too much complaining was happening on the boards or some random Canadian became available and was 'championed' on the boards then boom; that guy or someone would be signed here in a week. That's why we have so many players in our short history and a vast array of former solid professionals like Sanyang, Gomez, Usanov, Hscanovics, etc. I don't think Manning & Curtis are as lost as we were in 2010 so that wouldn't repeat. I prefer our cards to the chest actions now. Let us know when it's all set and signed and the banners and web graphics are all sparkly and ready to go.

Seriously, how stupid was the FO back then to listen to people on the boards?
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 02-06-2019 at 02:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    As long as we are getting results in the meantime. At the end of the day, we need W's. I don't care how we get them, we just need them.
    This DP signing should just "Guarantee" those W's
    Well we could be losing, and stuck to a 500 pound boulder of a bad DP contract for three years. That's the thing to avoid. Even Defoe set us back a year or two. We might want to concentrate on being a stout defensive team for the first third of the season....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    Live hits (CTV, CP24, others who I didn't identify) outside 50 Bay yesterday suggest you're in the minority.
    It is still unsettling when the only championship team this city has seen in decades (argos dont count), is always a main stream media afterthought, while the Leafs, a team that is justly regarded by unbiased hockey fans, as the biggest flop and embarrassment in the history of the NHL, is given royal treatment, no matter what the occasion. They would stand outside in the rain to interview the guy who delivers pucks to the arena.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    Live hits (CTV, CP24, others who I didn't identify) outside 50 Bay yesterday suggest you're in the minority.
    Oh, I know I am. Just not sure any other team in the league would let the parent do that sort of a move and not be laughed at. Like I could see NER holding off on news last week but we all know their parent company barely knows NER exists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Oh, I know I am. Just not sure any other team in the league would let the parent do that sort of a move and not be laughed at. Like I could see NER holding off on news last week but we all know their parent company barely knows NER exists.
    We complain about TFC irrelevancy with regards to media. Can you just imagine how bad it must be in Boston ? Willing to say 90 per cent of the population must not even realize they have a professional soccer team and 99 per cent could not name 1 player. That team and a little less so Chicago, the biggest wastes of markets. Philly too, to a lesser extent. I know we complain, but we are actually doing pretty good with media coverage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

BUT

I do wonder if Bakero is there because its then only 3 degrees of seperation between Pep Guardiolo & the coaching staff.

Bakero was pretty good in college. So he has a pedigree. And it does sometimes take a couple of seasons for guys like that to prove themselves. If he can't contribute this season, he has to go.
    MLS roster rules are rather complicated but

Supplemental Roster

Players occupying roster spots 21-24 do not count against the club's salary budget, and are referred to collectively as the club's Supplemental Roster. A club may have no more than four players on its Supplemental Roster, subject to the Season-Ending Injury Replacement, Disabled List, and Loan exceptions.

• Slots 21-24 may be filled with (i) Senior Minimum Salary Budget Charge Players (US$67,500 in 2018) which may include Homegrown Players, (ii) Generation adidas Players, or (iii) any specifically Designated Players eligible for the MLS SuperDraft; or (iv) Homegrown Players earning more than the Senior Minimum Salary subject to the Homegrown Player Subsidy.
    • All Generation adidas players are Supplemental Roster players until they graduate from the program.
    • All players on the Supplemental Roster must be paid a base salary that is at least the Senior Minimum Salary (US$67,500).

Reserve Roster

• Players occupying roster slots 25-28 may be filled with players earning either (i) the Reserve Minimum Salary (US$54,500 in 2018) or (ii) Homegrown Players earning more than the Reserve Minimum Salary subject to the Homegrown Player Subsidy.
    • Reserve Minimum Salary Players must be 24 years or younger during the League Year (age of player is determined by year - not date - of birth).
    • These slots may not be filled with Senior Minimum Salary Players or Generation adidas Players.
    • All players in slots 25-28 must be paid a base salary that is at least the Reserve Minimum Salary (US$54,500).

• Bottom line is 8 roster positions are protected for players like Bakero, Spencer, Morgan, etc

Guys on the board have constantly bitched about them over the years but the reality is it's them or no-one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm ok with waiting for the summer window for a key player but we have to replace four key players.
    Giovinco
    Vasquez
    VDW
    Akettxe/Janson - I know neither of these guys were key players but they were meant to be.
    We can't wait for all of them. I'll be stuck to my computer till I hear something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djking2 View Post
    MLS roster rules are rather complicated but

Supplemental Roster

Players occupying roster spots 21-24 do not count against the club's salary budget, and are referred to collectively as the club's Supplemental Roster. A club may have no more than four players on its Supplemental Roster, subject to the Season-Ending Injury Replacement, Disabled List, and Loan exceptions.

• Slots 21-24 may be filled with (i) Senior Minimum Salary Budget Charge Players (US$67,500 in 2018) which may include Homegrown Players, (ii) Generation adidas Players, or (iii) any specifically Designated Players eligible for the MLS SuperDraft; or (iv) Homegrown Players earning more than the Senior Minimum Salary subject to the Homegrown Player Subsidy.
    • All Generation adidas players are Supplemental Roster players until they graduate from the program.
    • All players on the Supplemental Roster must be paid a base salary that is at least the Senior Minimum Salary (US$67,500).

Reserve Roster

• Players occupying roster slots 25-28 may be filled with players earning either (i) the Reserve Minimum Salary (US$54,500 in 2018) or (ii) Homegrown Players earning more than the Reserve Minimum Salary subject to the Homegrown Player Subsidy.
    • Reserve Minimum Salary Players must be 24 years or younger during the League Year (age of player is determined by year - not date - of birth).
    • These slots may not be filled with Senior Minimum Salary Players or Generation adidas Players.
    • All players in slots 25-28 must be paid a base salary that is at least the Reserve Minimum Salary (US$54,500).

• Bottom line is 8 roster positions are protected for players like Bakero, Spencer, Morgan, etc

Guys on the board have constantly bitched about them over the years but the reality is it's them or no-one
    Bakero is not a domestic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I'm ok with waiting for the summer window for a key player but we have to replace four key players.
    Giovinco
    Vasquez
    VDW
    Akettxe/Janson - I know neither of these guys were key players but they were meant to be.
    We can't wait for all of them. I'll be stuck to my computer till I hear something.
    VDW was not a key player. If his name was Peter Smith and came from Columbus with the exact same skill set he would have been on the run out of town train mid last season. Only reason he gets mentioned as being 'key' is because of where he played years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    VDW was not a key player. If his name was Peter Smith and came from Columbus with the exact same skill set he would have been on the run out of town train mid last season. Only reason he gets mentioned as being 'key' is because of where he played years ago.
    I agree that VDW was not a key player for us but his salary used up a lot of TAM and therefore any TAM replacement should be a key player.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that VDW was not a key player for us but his salary used up a lot of TAM and therefore any TAM replacement should be a key player.
    For sure. Losing him and opening up that spot plus the money is like getting a free roster spot as it was completely wasted on him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW - Boyd is the first signing that is all on Curtis - recruited by him.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/time...boyd-come-mls/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giovinco
    Vasquez
    VDW
    You might be stuck at your computer a while.

Core pieces for the long term if we can keep them happy:

1) Osorio
    2) Mavinga
    3) Bono

Potential squad rotation pieces / fringe starting players long term:

1) Auro Jr.
    2. Delgado (is he happy here?)

Players with some potential:

1) Akinola
    2) Waja ?
    3) Anyone else?

This team needs an entire structural rebuild not a re-tool in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So to lighten up the discussion(s)...
    Historical Average temperature for Feb. 26 is a high of 0 and a low of -5, with 13% precipitation.
    COLD!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    1) Akinola
    2) Waja ?
    3) Anyone else?

This team needs an entire structural rebuild not a re-tool in my opinion.
    Who the F is Waja?

Also - I'd add Telfer and Fraser to this list of potentials

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Who the F is Waja?

Also - I'd add Telfer and Fraser to this list of potentials
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gideon_Waja

A 22 year old midfielder from Ghana who played for TFC2 last year after being signed to a USL deal.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cannot get past the fact that management was not prepared to lose Seba, VdW and VV. While they must have been recruiting a back up for VV, it is impossible to trust their public statements - and Manning and Curtis seem transparent - and not accept that TFC was both trying to cut the budget significantly, by several million at least, and assuming that these three players would be on the roster. We have now got our back up striker in Boyd but we need a right back, a winger with pace, a playmaker, and a DP. thats a lot to have on the back burner.

As a restructuring over time, maybe there was a strategy. All at once, it has to be a miracle to get two of those players in, let alone all of them.

And having thought about it more, I think VV left partly because he knew that Seba was going, and that both Bradley and VdW (in very different ways) were referring to Seba with their comments. The only light is that that distraction has gone, if Seba's desire for a new contract was what Bradley was referring to when he spoke about personal agendas.

Can we be New England Patriots is the question. Or are we Manchester United? Pats got rid of certain players but always stayed strong. But not Brady. Man U didn't rebuild properly and lost its way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably have to wait Until Friday once the NBA deadline passes, raptors will make at least one move, need to have someone better as a number 2 option behind kawhi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^thats a good point as well. It must be all hands on deck over there right now. Significant moves for all the teams.

Doesn’t appear like we’re ready to move though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This article on the MLS website last week discussed TFC options for the top pic in the allocation order:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...ion-order-slot

(I didn't post this at the time because I figured it would be lost in the raging Giovinco firestorm. )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Transfer window hasn't even opened. It opens February 7th. Only trades within MLS are occurring.
    I understood the primary window includes requesting ITC’s to finalize transfers/loans from teams outside of the MLS as well, did I interpret the MLS rules incorrectly?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some dude on Twitter claims Mezut Oziel’s agent is in Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JustSaying View Post
    This article on the MLS website last week discussed TFC options for the top pic in the allocation order:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...ion-order-slot

(I didn't post this at the time because I figured it would be lost in the raging Giovinco firestorm. )
    The only guy on that list I'd be happy about getting would be Larin. Green & Torres no thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    @BatmanTFC he also reported Ozil was spotted at Kia Training Grounds....

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    Even if it's a rumour, how would he fit in the team?..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was literally in Switzerland less than 24h ago. Complete BS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    Even if it's a rumour, how would he fit in the team?..
    @ £35mm price tag, £350,000 a week, not very well... I do not support said rumour.. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ozil gets paid £350,000 per week. That couldn’t be more outside MLSE’s new salary restraint philosophy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    He was literally in Switzerland less than 24h ago. Complete BS.
    https://twitter.com/batmantfc/status...511841792?s=21