Page 16 of 191 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Morrow and Moor were tremendous signings, as was Beitashour. Irwin too. We had a terrific and unique run of bringing in quality MLS regulars in 2014-15.

We gave up nothing for any of them. they weren’t DPs or even close to max salary players.

None of them are relevant to a Hedges caliber player conversation. Hedges is one of the 5 best non DP players in the league right now.
    Hedges is next level

Backing Ensco on this 100%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Few bounces here and there and could very easily have been ~16.
    Yes Portu, that is football, a few bounces either way can make the difference regardless of skill.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    ... there's no logic to dropping Moor without a defined replacement plan. None.
    Agreed, especially with respect to replacing him in his role as the organizer / communicator at the back. There's currently no one else on the team suited to perform this role, and the same is true of some possible additions who have been brought up, like Waston (whose team allowed more goals than TFC did this season fwiw) and Zimmerman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hedges is a USMNT regular.
    Fwiw, Hedges has about as many USMNT caps as Marky Delgado.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    If we are worried about the press we have VdW/Mavinga as starting CB’s. That’s as good as it gets it this league. But it means a four at the back.
    It also means a CB pair made up of possibly the two least talkative players on the team, which isn't much of a qualification for either to function effectively in the organizer / communicator role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Yes Portu, that is football, a few bounces either way can make the difference regardless of skill.

Cheers
    That's not the point of the argument in this case. I'm not denying the result; I'm denying the repeatability of the result, which is how we should be judging our performances and our players.

For example, that's why some rely more on expected goals as opposed to goals scored when recruiting a striker.

It's like saying because Croatia made the World Cup Final this year that the whole team is full of world beaters when in reality Lovren starts for them.
    Last edited by portu; 11-29-2018 at 07:52 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's like saying because Croatia made the World Cup Final this year that the whole team is full of world beaters when in reality Lovren starts for them.
    Using Croatia for your example is a terrible example when the team has a number of world class players in Modric, Rakitic, Mandzukic, Perisic.

Croatia's run was no fluke. Most of their players play for top teams in the top 5 leagues.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used Hedges as an example - its that type of player we need.

BTW, Dallas is in transition. Pareja leaving and they failing and stumbling of late is going to mean changes.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Likely scouting & learning trip (doubtful scouting players at this game)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I used Hedges as an example - its that type of player we need.

BTW, Dallas is in transition. Pareja leaving and they failing and stumbling of late is going to mean changes.
    The other thing about this sort of move is it preserves your international spots for some of the other positions on the field. Although not as valuable as they once were, having the luxury of an extra international spot when looking for attacking talent is worth while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Using Croatia for your example is a terrible example when the team has a number of world class players in Modric, Rakitic, Mandzukic, Perisic.

Croatia's run was no fluke. Most of their players play for top teams in the top 5 leagues.
    Lmao there were teams where the entire team was made up of players from the top teams in the world, forget leagues. But whatever satisfies I guess..

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lmao there were teams where the entire team was made up of players from the top teams in the world, forget leagues. But whatever satisfies I guess..
    I know this is off topic, but what made Croatia strong compared to the others was the familiarity that team had compared to other countries. Why I had Croatia making the Finals in my own pool at the start.

Although yes skill wise they weren't at the same caliber as the rest of the teams, their teamwork/chemistry was miles ahead of other teams. Could it have been playing in similar systems/teams growing up, or that team being together for so long to make that run, who knows. Yes even Lovren looked good when playing for Croatia, because he was set in the system.

It's a factor people tend to forget as well when looking at the teams, how will that player or players fit in with the squad. We saw with Aketxe that it's not that easy to just find anyone with skill and put them on the team, they need to be able to fit in the system, on and off the pitch.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Likely scouting & learning trip (doubtful scouting players at this game)

It's coaching licence related. They were at Lyon too this week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hedges is a USMNT regular. Dax McCarty isn’t and never was in his snack bracket.

Kljestan certainly was at one point, but wasn’t when he was moved.

Oh btw
    https://www.brotherlygame.com/2018/1...t-mls-ogc-nice
    Hedges has 5 caps

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Hedges has 5 caps
    I think Hedges is being vastly overrated on here. He is good but he isn't like the most dominant defender in MLS and never was. If he was he would have been getting called up to the USMNT before pylons like 'Own Goal' Gonzalez. Let's have some perspective, when the year end list of best MLS defenders comes out, minus 2016 when he won it and Dallas was a regular season force, he is never even in the top 5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
    I know this is off topic, but what made Croatia strong compared to the others was the familiarity that team had compared to other countries. Why I had Croatia making the Finals in my own pool at the start.

Although yes skill wise they weren't at the same caliber as the rest of the teams, their teamwork/chemistry was miles ahead of other teams. Could it have been playing in similar systems/teams growing up, or that team being together for so long to make that run, who knows. Yes even Lovren looked good when playing for Croatia, because he was set in the system.

It's a factor people tend to forget as well when looking at the teams, how will that player or players fit in with the squad. We saw with Aketxe that it's not that easy to just find anyone with skill and put them on the team, they need to be able to fit in the system, on and off the pitch.
    Nationalism also comes into it, for some countries it's just a football tournament for others it's warfare on a different field ie Xhaka, Shaqiri Albania goal celebrations. The Croatian jersey is one of those loaded with meaning and symbolism.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're not making any sense. Players playing in top teams in the top leagues are playing for the top teams in the world. Wtf?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW - MLS will announce who's available for Free agency after the Cup Final.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another big name Portuguese manager going to Saudi...

https://twitter.com/mhchehade/status...760610817?s=21
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another big name Portuguese manager going to Saudi...

https://twitter.com/mhchehade/status...760610817?s=21
    Relevance?
    That's all I'll say about that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    Relevance?
    Not much. Just more evidence that the Saudi’s are making big splashes all of a sudden in football. There was a rumour that another Saudi club were recruiting Seba a couple of weeks ago.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mavinga was interviewed on French BeIN.

The video is geo locked.

In theory, the whole show will be up on this site eventually. http://www.beinsports.com/france/replay-lexpresso/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mavinga was interviewed on French BeIN.

The video is geo locked.

In theory, the whole show will be up on this site eventually. http://www.beinsports.com/france/replay-lexpresso/
    I watched it. They ask if he is or would like to return to Europe, he said it's in the back of his mind and would mostly depend on his wife's wishes. Then they ask if he's had any contact with specific clubs about a move and he answers by saying TFC has given him the opportunity to show what he's capable of by returning to play at CB whereas before he was stuck being used as a LB. Ends by saying he's happy and relaxed as things stand, if this something happens then something happens, but he's happy to continue in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know he was also interviewed for this show as well but it is also geo-blocked. Anyone know how to get around the geo-block?

https://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/football/...a-1578273.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's not the point of the argument in this case. I'm not denying the result; I'm denying the repeatability of the result, which is how we should be judging our performances and our players.

For example, that's why some rely more on expected goals as opposed to goals scored when recruiting a striker.

I know, I know, just poking fun, you know me better than that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auro is with a load of TFC players in California doing a little mini camp. I'd guess if there with them he's coming back next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something here about Arjen Robben and TFC: http://www.volkskrant.nl/sport/hoe-v...reis-~b058986c

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    Something here about Arjen Robben and TFC: http://www.volkskrant.nl/sport/hoe-v...reis-~b058986c
    As cool as this would be I don't think it'd be the best move for the club

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As cool as this would be I don't think it'd be the best move for the club
    agreed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That article is just the author running through potential scenarios when he leaves Bayern in the summer and in his opinion if Robben were to go to MLS he suggests TFC as the best fit.