Page 37 of 191 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 5725
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, all those playoff goals where Seba fed Jozy in the face of the gritty MLS playoff defending, that was just CGI, I guess. Did not really happen.

Those 45 goals in 88 games in the last four years, even with all the injuries that limited him in a couple of different seasons, that left him I believe 5th in league scoring over the last four years... definitely evidence of lack of fit. Any fire hydrant would have had 50 goals in 4 years. I mean Seba does it all. The second half of 2018, all these other guys just slotted in and our sub strikers scored for fun, remember?
    Last edited by ensco; 01-04-2019 at 07:58 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Away Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    Agreed , on again off again .....tin man .....it takes a team to be long term successful....you want to like him but we need consistency and he isn’t a great fit to Seba .
    What. Jozy + Seba are a perfect partnership. It’s proven.
    Away trips: 2014 - Seattle. 2015 - Montreal. 2016 - Montreal x2. Playoffs - NYCFC, Montreal. 2017 - Salt Lake, Philly, Ottawa, Montreal, Chicago, LA, Atlanta. ​Playoffs - NYRB, Columbus. 2018 ​- Monterrey, MX (Tigres) CCL, Montreal, Ottawa, Montreal. 2019 - ​Philly, Montreal, Seattle (MLS Cup final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Yeah, all those playoff goals where Seba fed Jozy in the face of the gritty MLS playoff defending, that was just CGI, I guess. Did not really happen.

Those 45 goals in 88 games in the last four years, even with all the injuries that limited him in a couple of different seasons, that left him I believe 5th in league scoring over the last four years... definitely evidence of lack of fit. Any fire hydrant would have had 50 goals in 4 years. I mean Seba does it all. The second half of 2018, all these other guys just slotted in and our sub strikers scored for fun, remember?
    I wish I could up-vote this comment.

I've been annoyed at Jozy's because of his injuries at times but I really like the dude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what's our biggest need and offseason agenda?

Considering we have much higher win percentage with Vazquez and Moor in the lineup then without and because they are both injury prone:

1) A young CAM for the future to replace Vazquez when he's injured and permantley for the long term (do we have the the $$?) I like Osorio as an attacking midfielder option but he's not the guy that is going to break down defenders at the level of a Pity Martinez, Acosta, Kaku, Valeri. I don't like the idea of our season's success riding on Vazquez being healthy.
    2) A young CB as a backup to replace Moor/Ciman/Mavinga that can be mentored for the future.
    3) A young back up striker for the future.

I really care about # 1 and # 2 and I'd be happy with the departure of VDW and Zavaleta to get it done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My number one concern right now is that we find a Janson style guy that can fill in and start in the first XI.

I don't think we're going to make many moves, so after that it's all gravy.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed , on again off again .....tin man .....it takes a team to be long term successful....you want to like him but we need consistency and he isn’t a great fit to Seba .
    Good one,
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    My number one concern right now is that we find a Janson style guy that can fill in and start in the first XI.

I don't think we're going to make many moves, so after that it's all gravy.
    I don’t think Janson is that guy. He didn’t look that great. I think him scoring two goals against a team mailing it in is not evidence of anything.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is all the hate for Jozy coming from all of a sudden? If anyone has proven himself against a lot of question marks coming in it’s him! I personally didn’t want him at first given his time at Sunderland but he’s proven me wrong. Go watch the replays of his goal against Seattle and calm down if you’re posting negative stuff about him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Translated from here: http://www.mediagol.it/altri-campion...molti-ragazzi/

I know things are set up for us to do a full reset/rebuild after this season, but Giovinco is clearly angling hard for a new contract.

If he puts up good numbers again this season is it that crazy to try to get him on a 2-year DP contract after this season? The wrinkle would be if he wants 3+ years at DP status.

And what about Bradley and Altidore? They're younger than Giovinco. What if we have a bounce back season and compete for the Cup? Still just dump everyone and restart?

I don't know how it's gonna go but I don't think it's a given necessarily that we blow it up after this season. We might, or we might keep one of the DPs, or I think there's a scenario where we bring them all back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I don't know how it's gonna go but I don't think it's a given necessarily that we blow it up after this season. We might, or we might keep one of the DPs, or I think there's a scenario where we bring them all back.
    I think it will be a 'soft' blow up. Gradually phase out older players when some young guys come available and do a slow transition. I can't see us doing a scorched Earth rebuild like Dallas is doing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It can be argued that bringing in Will Johnson & Benoit Cheyrou allowed Osorio & Delgado the time to learn & grow into being MLS starters. Would have said the same thing about Zaveleta a year ago (before the regression).

We need to do the same thing with Frasier in the midfield & Akinola up front & Telfer wide left & I would argue to a certain extent Auro wide right.

If TFC don't have a young guy in every position learning & figuring out a way to get in that 18 & then in that 11, then something isn't good enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t think Janson is that guy. He didn’t look that great. I think him scoring two goals against a team mailing it in is not evidence of anything.
    Not Janson. But Janson style. More or less versatile attacking TAM level player we can plug in at the wing or striker.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post

Translated from here: http://www.mediagol.it/altri-campion...molti-ragazzi/

I know things are set up for us to do a full reset/rebuild after this season, but Giovinco is clearly angling hard for a new contract.

If he puts up good numbers again this season is it that crazy to try to get him on a 2-year DP contract after this season? The wrinkle would be if he wants 3+ years at DP status.

And what about Bradley and Altidore? They're younger than Giovinco. What if we have a bounce back season and compete for the Cup? Still just dump everyone and restart?

This post made my day.

We love the guy, and he loves it here. This is what sports is about, at its best.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Can't wait for this guys contract to run out.
    You'd have us signing the likes Gilberto and Urruti to replace him. Thank Christ our decision makers aren't so clueless.

Embarrassing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spot on. (Meant to be a reply to Ensco)
    Last edited by MightyDM; 01-07-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomLawrence View Post
    You'd have us signing the likes Gilberto and Urruti to replace him. Thank Christ our decision makers aren't so clueless.

Embarrassing.
    Lmfao show me where I've ever said that. I think I recall at one point suggesting to replace him with Fernando Llorente (back when he was at Swansea). So take your bs about Gilberto and Urruti elsewhere buddy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Give it a break guys, everyone can have an opinion and disagree. Portu has his, I don't think he is discounting Jozy's contributions, his concern is an injury prone player on a massive contract, regardless of quality. I think I am right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Give it a break guys, everyone can have an opinion and disagree. Portu has his, I don't think he is discounting Jozy's contributions, his concern is an injury prone player on a massive contract, regardless of quality. I think I am right
    Exactly, thanks Derko

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    You could also go much worse when it comes to a target man role, which is what Jozy is. Unlesss you want to pay big money for Morata.

The other target men that could be available that would be an upgrade over Jozy is Diego Costa, Olivier Giroud or Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Giroud prefers London and Zlatan is the most expensive player in MLS at LA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's one thing to question the merit of signing Jozy to a contract extension as a DP given his age and his durability. It's another thing to trivialize his contributions to this franchise.

The man is a TFC legend. Even with the considerable time he missed the last few seasons, he has earned every penny of his contract and then some. He scored practically every significant goal for us in post season and CCL matches since he's been here.

In retrospect, the Defoe situation going sour here was the best thing to ever happen to our franchise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    It's one thing to question the merit of signing Jozy to a contract extension as a DP given his age and his durability. It's another thing to trivialize his contributions to this franchise.

The man is a TFC legend. Even with the considerable time he missed the last few seasons, he has earned every penny of his contract and then some. He scored practically every significant goal for us in post season and CCL matches since he's been here.

In retrospect, the Defoe situation going sour here was the best thing to ever happen to our franchise.
    Both because of Jozy AND because it signaled ambition.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the concerns for the brain trust has to be not signaling ambition for the next round of DP's.

Sure, go the South American buy to sell route. But if there isn't at least 1 name that moves the needle in this town, that's a problem for MLSE.

(Seba, Altidore & Bradley moved the needle for people who know the game well)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally agree. Jozy is a TFC legend regardless of what happens for 2019.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnelred View Post
    What. Jozy + Seba are a perfect partnership. It’s proven.
    Live aleady explained . They’re both individuals with different needs and unless it’s the championship game both have different needs and tendencies. Seba in all his career has continuously had balls sent to him in the air ...How tall is he ?.. Joey for big man is basically a ball to foot player . A big man than can use his head and body to drop the ball st his feet and distribute/ playmaker is a better fit for Seba . Vasquez is that man but his time is close to ending , not in his heart of course . Joey is a bull ( when he shows up or isn’t hurt btw, unfortunately we’ll probably never get to use Seba to his potential here . We don’t need him trying to take on the complete opponent, which is to easy to defend . In short one or the other needs to be the centre of attention or have a team centred around him . The team again may be a bunch of individuals trying to play within Vanneys preconceived approaches. Without the ‘team effort/skill set ‘ to perform it . Look at the roster where has it improved ? We were owned last year under this same mix . I know it’s unpopular to be critical but , I pay for every game and the second part of last season was a joke and completely predictable . Next year is the new beginning , for better or worse. At least there’s no pressure that we’ll win the title this year . I’ll be happy to be wrong .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can all agree that then past worked out but offering another DP contract would be insane. DPs need to be on the field and not in rehab.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    You could also go much worse when it comes to a target man role, which is what Jozy is. Unlesss you want to pay big money for Morata.

The other target men that could be available that would be an upgrade over Jozy is Diego Costa, Olivier Giroud or Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Giroud prefers London and Zlatan is the most expensive player in MLS at LA.
    There are hundreds of target forwards between Jozy and Diego Costa level. Thats a crazy small list of replacement options.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    We can all agree that then past worked out but offering another DP contract would be insane. DPs need to be on the field and not in rehab.
    So we shouldn’t re-sign Seba then either?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love Jozy and he's done a lot for us but with his glass legs he shouldn't be on a DP contract anymore. TAM him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This post made my day.

We love the guy, and he loves it here. This is what sports is about, at its best.
    In 2015, When I watched Seba play for the NT in Rome, he was slotted in midfield, and as a winger, and contributed to 2 quick goals. He was not used as a striker. I have always felt, that he could assume the Higuain role (Columbus, not the brother in Milan). As a DP playing that position, Seba could be an MLS all star until he was 40.
    If TFC had another proven quality forward, he could have 20 assists per season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Love Jozy and he's done a lot for us but with his glass legs he shouldn't be on a DP contract anymore. TAM him.
    He'll go to Mexico before he stays here for less than 2 million