Page 154 of 191 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154155156157158164 ... LastLast
Results 4,591 to 4,620 of 5725
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El matador View Post
    So did you blast Al Hilal or whatever they are called, when they came to Giovinco offered him a deal full well knowing that he was still under contract with us and we are about to start our CCL run? And what code are you talking about? The code that PSG had when they got Neymar? like that kind of code? I`m confused. i thought the code is we put a release buy out clause...you match it...it`s yours. Money is the code.
    Clubs talk to players endlessly while they are under contract.

At some point the acquiring club has to deal directly with the selling club and negotiate. Because of the release clause, MLS/TFC got fooled into thinking they could avoid that. A mistake.

The issue is that because of the nature of what happened here, it all immediately broke out in public, without the ability to “drop it” or whatever. Plus the context (Genk's various competitions, and their place in them) made it really reputationally worse than it otherwise would be

The way to think about this.... If Al Hilal had “signed” Giovinco in the middle of the 2017 playoffs, without ever talking to the team, and it actually wasn’t true because of some technicality... how would we have felt?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel for Curtis, he has a mess to sort out, but it would be nice if the club could make a statement and lets us know whats going on and if we should expect signings now or 2 months from now at the end of the window. I can live with them taking the time to get the DP right but at least get us a TAM attacker for the Champs league.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So did you blast Al Hilal or whatever they are called, when they came to Giovinco offered him a deal full well knowing that he was still under contract with us and we are about to start our CCL run? And what code are you talking about? The code that PSG had when they got Neymar? like that kind of code? I`m confused. i thought the code is we put a release buy out clause...you match it...it`s yours. Money is the code.
    Not that I would necessarily see any organisation in Saudi Arabia as the first thing I would want to emulate, but Al-Hilal did that during our off-season, before our transfer window even opened, and a year after Seba started saying publicly he wanted to negotiate. (Apparently he had been asking privately longer than that.) As some people are saying what is happening is all so normal in world football, why is TFC FO saying that they were surprised by what happened with Seba?

So if this is normal, obviously the proper way to deal with this would have been: start formal negotiations with Seba in summer 2018. By the end of our season, you have a pretty good idea of acceptable parameters for him to stay or leave. Both sides look for suitors, which also means the transfer fee can be considered from the start rather than being a minimal afterthought. Before the start of the international transfer periods, you have a couple of serious offers in place, and finish a deal once the respective transfer window is open. You approach Genk (and other targets) at the start of their transfer period. Looking at Belgian salaries, they could have done quite a bit with 8 million euros then. Alot less panic and heartbreak on all sides.

Perhaps they'll still get a deal done now with Pozuelo, our makeshift lineup doesn't completely flameout in CCL, FO still manages to find a couple of complimentary TAM players, and we have a decent MLS season. But is Pozuelo really the only worthwhile target in the whole wide world of football? CCL starts in two days. Regular season starts in less than two weeks. 5 of our 6 biggest contracts from last year are unsettled and/or unreplaced.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 02-17-2019 at 10:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well this looks done... Genk is down already by 2 goals, and since I'm watching they look like utter shit.
    I've lost just about 8 minutes from the start of the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pozo on to start the second half

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    No need for attacks like that. There are plenty of long-term supporters that are upset that Seba's gone; or unhappy about some aspect of how it was handled. I'm somewhere in the middle, but can respect the different opinions.
    I wouldn't put this opinion and the opinions of those I speak of in the same category. The difference with yours is it's rational and I respect that

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DFloorDanny View Post
    I wouldn't put this opinion and the opinions of those I speak of in the same category. The difference with yours is it's rational and I respect that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They've pulled one back. Poz with assist off a corner.

And Brugge go right down the other end and score. 3-1.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

aaand they're back

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by genkfan View Post
    David made an impact on his first few games, it was a lot less after that. David is a good player but he still has to learn a lot. Belgian league is a very tough one certainly for atacking players (that's why top players from Belgium do so well in top-leagues like the premiere league etc). Gent always wants big money for their players but almost never gets it. Their chairman is excellent in overrating players, the market doesn't follow. I don't think Dennis will be a player for a top-league though, championship or France could be on his level.

About the meeting in NY, it shows that Genk is looking for a good arrangement for the player as well. I'm sure an immediate transfer is off the table, otherwise a fax would have been enough (triggering the clause in his contract). As said before, our management treats our players well, I'm sure they are looking for a solution that makes all the players involved happy. A transfer in may could be such a solution I think.

@Reggie, 8M is a bargain for Pozzuelo, our other key-players who are expected to leave this summer are rated 20M+. Without the clause Pozo would easily cost you double. He is fantastic in our league, so he will surely make an impact in your league, which is more open and a lot easier for attacking and creative players than the Belgian league.
    Interesting. Thanks. I went and watched every game highlight available on KAA Gent site and found David fell off when he left for international duty. Seems Gent is better with him but their run over winter has been wanting. Still scoring but not grabbing points.

I hope to see David live in Gent this year. I'll be missing him next month in Vancouver. Thanks again for the input.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends if they have a release clause, like Neymar did. There are other scenarios that are possible as well, and this seems to be one of them. Not just as simple as paying a release clause.

Barça and Neymar’s group are still in court over the “loyalty bonus” he should have received but didn’t because the Barça board felt spurned by PSG paying the clause and him leaving.

This scenario isn’t exactly as clear cut as pay a release clause and move a player. Just like Neymar’s loyalty bonus, which he did trigger, was clear cut — but Barça interpreted the terms differently. Maybe it’s the same thing with this “handshake” deal to stay on until the league is over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Webdogg View Post
    So Genk chairmen Peter Croonen calls to blast Tanenbaum? You mean Tanenbaum, worth $1.5b that’s chairman of MLSE that’s worth about $4b (Leafs $1.5b, Raps $1.4b, TFC,Argos,real estate around another $1b) you mean that Tanenbaum? Well if he did I’m pretty sure the call would go something like this

Croonen - I’m calling to blast you for trying to take our best player when we’re trying to win our league. I know you followed the rules, but I think you’re being a big meanie.

Tanenbaum - Who are you again? Doesn’t matter, please hold

Tanenbaum calls his assistant - How much is 90m£ in Cdn?

Assistant - It’s about $150 million.

Tanenbaum - Great. Please buy KRC Genk and then close the business. Use the loonies and toonies they found in my couch when cleaning last week. Oh btw I found a new cell phone tower operator for the new Bell-Rogers join venture in Iqaluit, Nunavut. Thanks.

Tanenbaum - Thanks for holding, what was your name again?

Croonen - it’s Peter Croonen, chairmen of Genk

Tanenbaum- Peter do you have a Canada Goose jacket?
    That was funny

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Genk's defence seems to have let them down this match - the back third of the side has not been able to string much together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Nani from Sporting CP is getting interest from Orlando. So here’s the facts

Current team in Europa - check
    Current team league top spot battle - check
    Current team window closed - check

Looks to me all the people criticizing TFC and calling foul can start apologizing because it’s official - TFC is not in the wrong and not doing anything underhanded.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-tr...in-mls-sources

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@genkfan

I never watch Belgian football, so this is why I'm asking:

Was in this game Genk's performance worst or a lot worst like usually, or Brugge's performance was better or a lot better like usually?
    Anyways, in this one Genk looked like they had zero chance for a good result right from the get go...
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 02-17-2019 at 10:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Not that I would necessarily see any organisation in Saudi Arabia as the first thing I would want to emulate, but Al-Hilal did that during our off-season, before our transfer window even opened, and a year after Seba started saying publicly he wanted to negotiate. (Apparently he had been asking privately longer than that.) As some people are saying what is happening is all so normal in world football, why is TFC FO saying that they were surprised by what happened with Seba?

So if this is normal, obviously the proper way to deal with this would have been: start formal negotiations with Seba in summer 2018. By the end of our season, you have a pretty good idea of acceptable parameters for him to stay or leave. Both sides look for suitors, which also means the transfer fee can be considered from the start rather than being a minimal afterthought. Before the start of the international transfer periods, you have a couple of serious offers in place, and finish a deal once the respective transfer window is open. You approach Genk (and other targets) at the start of their transfer period. Looking at Belgian salaries, they could have done quite a bit with 8 million euros then. Alot less panic and heartbreak on all sides.

Perhaps they'll still get a deal done now with Pozuelo, our makeshift lineup doesn't completely flameout in CCL, FO still manages to find a couple of complimentary TAM players, and we have a decent MLS season. But is Pozuelo really the only worthwhile target in the whole wide world of football? CCL starts in two days. Regular season starts in less than two weeks. 5 of our 6 biggest contracts from last year are unsettled and/or unreplaced.
    Looks like Nani from Sporting CP is getting interest from Orlando. So here’s the facts

Looks to me all the people criticizing TFC and calling foul can start apologizing because it’s official - TFC is not in the wrong and not doing anything underhanded.

Is Sporting fighting the transfer or encouraging him to get out?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well somebody ain't happy with all this

Probably just a large group ticked off at him. Can't see how he could stay into next season after this but the question remains:

will TFC wait for him if he isn't available until June?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not a rules based test. if you don’t understand that, nobody can convince you.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Well somebody ain't happy with all this

Probably just a large group ticked off at him. Can't see how he could stay into next season after this but the question remains:

will TFC wait for him if he isn't available until June?
    From the same tweet thread

https://twitter.com/plattoli/status/...165036545?s=21

This “love” is what I am suggesting is interesting (it’s obviously a hypothesis, we cannot know)... because of the context of how/when we started this, we (and even more, the league) cannot walk away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Is Sporting fighting the transfer or encouraging him to get out?

What’s it matter? The guy has been playing every game and it’s the exact same situation - MLS team approaching a player on a contending Europa team after their local window had closed.

If TFC was so wrong than so is Orlando. What’s the likelihood of that?
    Last edited by Webdogg; 02-17-2019 at 10:45 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What’s it matter? The guy has been playing every game and it’s the exact same situation - MLS team approaching a player on a contending Europa team after their local window had closed.

If TFC was so wrong than so is Orlando. What’s the likelihood of that?
    Nani's team is being involved in the discussion. Orlando are not unilaterally interfering in a team/league's competitive situation, without all the facts.

It's all the difference in the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Nani's team is being involved in the discussion. Orlando are not unilaterally interfering in a team/league's competitive situation, without all the facts.

It's all the difference in the world.
    You need professional help if you think Orlando is doing anything different than TFC. Both of the players are in league battles and Europa and both local windows have closed. It’s identical situations. Saying it’s not shows you have an axe to grind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

Does he look worth waiting for? Even though they lost did he make that much of a difference when he came on today?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    From the same tweet thread

https://twitter.com/plattoli/status/...165036545?s=21

This “love” is what I am suggesting is interesting (it’s obviously a hypothesis, we cannot know)... because of the context of how/when we started this, we (and even more, the league) cannot walk away
    Part of it is TFC is looking long term, not just CCL 2019. We've been conditioned over the last 5 seasons to be thinking about every move in the context of "this" season & even more specifically, of the next stretch of games.

Pozuelo is a move about 2019 through 2022.

That and people forget that it was Seba who asked out of his Juve contract so he could come early - TFC wasn't going to push it because Bez was thinking about 2016 through 2018. .

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nani is not a primary figure with Sporting - they are quite happy to be rid his contract - he's not in their long term plans. I think Orlando is making a mistake here but they are the "Florida Man" of MLS.

Pozuelo is Genk's captain, in his prime, and has been ever present as the catalyst of their team - with a newish contract. Not identical situations at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Nani is not a primary figure with Sporting - they are quite happy to be rid his contract - he's not in their long term plans. I think Orlando is making a mistake here but they are the "Florida Man" of MLS.

Pozuelo is Genk's captain, in his prime, and has been ever present as the catalyst of their team - with a newish contract. Not identical situations at all.
    Whether or not they are happy is irrelevant. The approach is the exact same and several said TFC were wrong, did something unethical and the window was closed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whether or not they are happy is irrelevant. The approach is the exact same and several said TFC were wrong, did something unethical and the window was closed.
    Everything is irrelevant, except those things that you decide are relevant. Ok got it.

Please don't ask people to get professional help if they don't agree with you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I’m somewhat less concerned about the “ethics” of it than if we have any legal standing to force something through. Negotiating a later release to me isn’t “playing nice,” it’s just the only real option we have to get him from a team that is fighting the transfer and believes they are in the legal right.

Sporting isn’t fighting for Nani btw.
    Last edited by Canary10; 02-17-2019 at 11:23 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Giovinco was not in the lineup yesterday for al hilal. correct me if i'm wrong as im not really comfortable with google on these games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wondering when this turned into a Belgian football page?